Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

One analyst believes RWIII won't impact the running game...

Started by Al Boarland, May 16, 2017, 08:38:08 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Tejano Jawg

I haven't made it that far into the video yet, but I'll just say "be careful."

Remember 2015...even though Alex Collins had a fantastic season, I've always said that not having Jonathan Williams cost us several games and a big bowl. What he gave us was immense production on the field, leadership, spirit, will, guts.

Rawleigh had a nice (although shortened) first season. You could tell he was getting in the groove, understanding big-time college football, feeling how to run through heavy traffic using blockers, and so on. Then last year he became one of the best 2 or 3 backs in the SEC. To do that, you have to be waaayyy better than just good. In year 3, he was set up for a stellar season. Taking that out of our lineup will effect us how? Another question, what will his absence do to us emotionally? I am optimistic (until proven otherwise) that Whaley and the other guys will step up. But not having #22 out there, ready to take the ball...ask the other SEC teams whether or not they're indifferent about that.
Between McAfee being obnoxious and Corso decomposing before our eyes I can't even watch GameDay anymore. —Torqued Pork

Iwastherein1969

Does this answer the question put forth to the room ?                   

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CBy4yG9rxjU
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

Pork Twain

I agree and think we have 3-4 solid RBs on the roster
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

MuskogeeHogFan

Even though this "Analyst" had different reasons for concluding that the loss of RWIII wouldn't impact our run game, I will say that the transfer of Juan Day certainly makes this situation a little more concerning, if only from the standpoint of sheer numbers in the backfield. Unless Bielema has a card up his sleeve that we don't know about, I'd say we are now definitely "thin" at RB.
Go Hogs Go!

bphi11ips

Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

Tejano Jawg

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on May 19, 2017, 06:16:37 am
Even though this "Analyst" had different reasons for concluding that the loss of RWIII wouldn't impact our run game, I will say that the transfer of Juan Day certainly makes this situation a little more concerning, if only from the standpoint of sheer numbers in the backfield. Unless Bielema has a card up his sleeve that we don't know about, I'd say we are now definitely "thin" at RB.

That certainly stops any previous Hville discussions about what RB might or might not redshirt.
Between McAfee being obnoxious and Corso decomposing before our eyes I can't even watch GameDay anymore. —Torqued Pork

MuskogeeHogFan

May 19, 2017, 10:17:43 am #56 Last Edit: May 19, 2017, 10:30:12 am by MuskogeeHogFan
Quote from: Tejano Jawg on May 19, 2017, 10:12:56 am
That certainly stops any previous Hville discussions about what RB might or might not redshirt.

It also makes me wonder if any of the DB's or LB's that we signed played RB at a higher level in high school? Maybe they shift Jordan Curtis to RB for the fall for depth? He also played RB at Jenks H.S.
Go Hogs Go!

Nashville Fan

Probably affect the passing game more. If I were a D.C. I would blitz every time AR put the young RBs until they prove they can pass block.
Pittman or Bust!

factchecker

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on May 19, 2017, 10:17:43 am
It also makes me wonder if any of the DB's or LB's that we signed played RB at a higher level in high school? Maybe they shift Jordan Curtis to RB for the fall for depth? He also played RB at Jenks H.S.

One of our receiver/athlete recruits played runningback in high school.

Might see Maleek Barkley and TJ Hammonds play similar roles while Whaley and Maleek are the bigger power backs.

WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

Richard Davenport

Steef

Quote from: Richard Davenport on May 20, 2017, 01:18:03 pm
I would disagree. You don't replace a guy with two years experience in the SEC and one as the leading rusher and not be impacted.

Thank you.

Common sense prevails.

carolinahogger

I would disagree. You don't replace a guy with two years experience in the SEC and one as the leading rusher and not be impacted.

Maybe not.  McFadden replaced somebody though.

Pork Twain

I think it is situational and there are absolutely no absolutes.  Some teams do what you are talking about on a regular basis and excel at it.  As you well know, it is not as if our cupboard is bare and we will have a 2nd year guy to lead the way.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

hawgon

Someone I think, one time, had one of the best backs in the SEC go down with a season ending injury in August, and still managed to be very productive at the position and to win eleven games.  At least that is what I was told.

Al Boarland

I took the segment to mean the run game will still be productive.  Will it be productive against the top defenses?  Who knows?  Most expect improvement along the line, so maybe we won't get stuffed when it counts.

PorkRinds

Quote from: Al Boarland on May 23, 2017, 12:04:27 pm
I took the segment to mean the run game will still be productive.  Will it be productive against the top defenses?  Who knows?  Most expect improvement along the line, so maybe we won't get stuffed when it counts.

Heck it wasn't all that productive against top defenses last season.

Razorbackers

I think the point that some of us are trying to make is that Rawleigh is a BA and would have had a dynamite year if he was healthy.

But we had just as many question marks coming into last season as well at RB, maybe even more. RW3 looked solid as a freshman, but was coming in off debilitating injury, and Whaley was a true freshman. Kody Walker was a 6th year senior that (bless his heart) we all knew wouldn't be healthy, and no one else was really an option after that.

This year, we have Whaley coming back, who we know can be productive. And while we don't have a proven every down back (same as last year), our backup scenario is much better. We have a handful of 4 star players with a lot of upside ready to step up. Plus a more experienced offensive line.

When was the last time Bielema didn't have a 1,000 rusher?

Losing RW3 definitely hurts us, no doubt about it. But it doesn't doom the running game by any means. In fact, there are plenty of reasons to have optimism, or even fairly high expectations, about the running game for 2017, with or without RW3.

Al Boarland

PorkSoda

Quote from: Al Boarland on May 23, 2017, 12:04:27 pm
yeah, I mean, obviously losing RW3 will be an impact.  play calls may change based on different personnel, but production wise, I expect to remain in the top half of the conference.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

Pork Twain

Quote from: Razorbackers on May 23, 2017, 12:14:30 pm
I think the point that some of us are trying to make is that Rawleigh is a BA and would have had a dynamite year if he was healthy.

But we had just as many question marks coming into last season as well at RB, maybe even more. RW3 looked solid as a freshman, but was coming in off debilitating injury, and Whaley was a true freshman. Kody Walker was a 6th year senior that (bless his heart) we all knew wouldn't be healthy, and no one else was really an option after that.

This year, we have Whaley coming back, who we know can be productive. And while we don't have a proven every down back (same as last year), our backup scenario is much better. We have a handful of 4 star players with a lot of upside ready to step up. Plus a more experienced offensive line.

When was the last time Bielema didn't have a 1,000 rusher?

Losing RW3 definitely hurts us, no doubt about it. But it doesn't doom the running game by any means. In fact, there are plenty of reasons to have optimism, or even fairly high expectations, about the running game for 2017, with or without RW3.
Losing a top back will always be felt in on way or another but I cannot remember a time as an Arkansas fan that the next guy failed to step up.  In my life, we have successfully replaced: Cobbs, Hill, Kniles, Talley, (Smith, Dmac, Felix and Peyton in one year), and (Collins and Williams in one year).

Next year we will have Devwah Whaley, Maleek Williams  and Chase Hayden as our 1-2-3.  The year before that, we were somehow able to effectively replace Collins and Williams with Williams and Whaley. I am not concerned about our running game even a little with a more seasoned QB and OL coming back.

hawgon