Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Serrano resigning from Tennessee

Started by bighog2255, May 17, 2017, 01:26:21 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

bighog2255

Very strange.

"@KendallRogersD1 · 8 minutes ago 

BREAKING: @Vol_Baseball HC Dave Serrano has resigned as head coach at #Tennessee, Serrano tells @d1baseball. More coming. #Vols #SEC"

HogFansReunited

My girl told me to whisper something sexy in her ear...so I leaned in and said....Dominic Fletcher.

Quote from: WorfHog on April 05, 2019, 11:26:00 pm
Remember when Auburn dog piled AND THEY LOST!

Member #3568

jbell96

Quote from: HogFansReunited on May 17, 2017, 02:22:46 pm
That is odd.

It's not odd. He's been there since 2012, has a below .500 record, and hasn't made the NCAA tournament in his tenure. Granted, he didn't inherit a great team, but they've not shown much improvement over the last 5 years.

HogFansReunited

Quote from: jbell96 on May 17, 2017, 02:41:28 pm
It's not odd. He's been there since 2012, has a below .500 record, and hasn't made the NCAA tournament in his tenure. Granted, he didn't inherit a great team, but they've not shown much improvement over the last 5 years.

But to resign with a week left to play seems odd to me. Another thing is, you would think that Tennessee would fire him if they were not happy with how his teams have performed.
My girl told me to whisper something sexy in her ear...so I leaned in and said....Dominic Fletcher.

Quote from: WorfHog on April 05, 2019, 11:26:00 pm
Remember when Auburn dog piled AND THEY LOST!

Member #3568

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: HogFansReunited on May 17, 2017, 04:59:41 pm
But to resign with a week left to play seems odd to me. Another thing is, you would think that Tennessee would fire him if they were not happy with how his teams have performed.

I guess you've never heard of a forced resignation....................Maybe it is and maybe not but the timing is not unusual or bad. Quite a few coaches over the years have resigned towards the end of the season.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

jbell96

Quote from: HogFansReunited on May 17, 2017, 04:59:41 pm

I have a feeling he was strongly encouraged to resign by his boss. That way things don't have to get ugly from a PR standpoint.

Pudgepork

TNhawgfan

Quote from: jbell96 on May 18, 2017, 10:07:36 am
I have a feeling he was strongly encouraged to resign by his boss. That way things don't have to get ugly from a PR standpoint.
UT just got a brand new AD, and this may have been his first big decision. One of those I'm going to fire you unless you resign deals
I'd rather be dead than be a Vol

dotnet

Serrano mentioned a few years ago that he didn't realize how hard it would be to just make the SEC tournament

soso

I remember when we played Cal St Fullerton with Serrano in the first game of the CWS. He held his ace back and pitched a Freshman against us because he did not consider us a threat. We rocked them with the long ball and held on to win. CSF went 0-2 that year. It was a very gratifying win.

dotnet

That team just dominated OU and FSU pitching staffs the two weekends leading up to that.  I am not sure why he thought Arkansas was a good team to withhold his ace from.

Granted, it was probably their only chance to beat LSU

Hogwild

He is a good coach, took two programs to Omaha, just got away from his recruiting base.   He will resurface on the West Coast.