Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

CBB... #7 on Coaches Hot Seat

Started by moses_007, May 13, 2017, 04:08:58 am

Previous topic - Next topic

GuvHog

Quote from: EastexHawg on May 17, 2017, 01:51:08 pm
We were 10-3 and 11-2 within this decade and we didn't have Nick, Urban, or Pete Carroll either of those years.

I only scratched the surface with my list of coaches.  Check out what Bob Stoops has done at Oklahoma vs. what had been going on there before his arrival.  Jim Harbaugh and Stanford.  Art Briles at both Houston and Baylor.

Why don't you just come out and say it?  "I don't think we should expect to be very good and neither should any of you"?

EastexHawg, you are trying to reason with a guy who seriously believes finishing #12 in the nation and #5 in the nation in back to back years is doing nothing, for cryin' out loud.   ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)

Keep trying if you want but he won't listen. (Shakes head)
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

GuvHog

Quote from: twistitup on May 17, 2017, 02:00:51 pm
Ding, Ding...you said Bear. Bama had an enourmous amount of tradition that Debose & Co. couldnt erase with a handful of average seasons- Saban is adding to an already legendary program...

It stopped being legendary the day Bear retired. Saban made it legendary again.

ricepig

Quote from: GuvHog on May 17, 2017, 02:14:10 pm
It stopped being legendary the day Bear retired. Saban made it legendary again.

Stallings was 70-16-1, they won the West every year except 1995, when we did when they were on probation.

Deep Shoat

Quote from: EastexHawg on May 17, 2017, 01:51:08 pm
We were 10-3 and 11-2 within this decade and we didn't have Nick, Urban, or Pete Carroll either of those years.

I only scratched the surface with my list of coaches.  Check out what Bob Stoops has done at Oklahoma vs. what had been going on there before his arrival.  Jim Harbaugh and Stanford.  Art Briles at both Houston and Baylor.

Why don't you just come out and say it?  "I don't think we should expect to be very good and neither should any of you"?
You didn't answer my question.

And I DO expect us to be good.  I can just look at the last 50 years and see that your way is a fail.  Seriously, should we fire Bielema and hire whoever your best up-and-comer is?  Then, if he doesn't produce in 2 years, fire him and hire the next one?  Should we just continue that until we hit on the next big thing?  Because, if that ISN'T what you are advocating, then you have nothing.  Firing Bielema won't make us miraculously better.

Or do you just want us to rehire Bobby?  Because he hasn't really done much since he left.

Oh, and as for you Guv, just shut up.  Your make believe world where Houston Nutt was a great coach and Bobby wasn't offered a chance to stay and CBB wasn't guaranteed 6 years can kiss my behind.  Eastex is wrong, but at least his points make sense.
All Gas, No Brakes!

code red

Nobody is saying fire him now.  5-7 is a possibility next year and in year 5 is unacceptable.  Heck, to even utter 5-7 year 5 is unacceptable....IMHO.  We MUST roll TCU or it will start to unravel.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

MemphisBossHog

Quote from: hoglady on May 13, 2017, 07:57:12 am
SEC West has 3 coaches in the Top 7.

Got to admit Coach B's numbers do look bad - but hopefully those start turning around this year.
I was glad to see the blog mention the absolutely ridiculous buyout, though.
I thought BB was doing just fine until the end of last season.  To lose to Missouri the way we did and then to flat out choke the bowl game away against a quality opponent really left a bad taste in my mouth.  We ended up 7-6 after the bowl debacle and should have finished 9-4.  Those 2 games and the way they lost them really hurt.  Really hurt. 

I really hope he has some kind of magic that will help him guide the team to a decent record this coming season, cause if he follows up those to year ending losses with a mediocre to sub .500 season, I just dont know if he will be able to get things done at Ark.

He is trying to be Alabama (loose comparison I know) with way way way less talent.  Petrino was an offensive genius play caller.  I dont want to say gimmick but he made teams have to prepare differently for his offense.  BB simply wants to line up and run the ball down your throat and play tough defense. Throw in some play action passes here and there. Thats great if you have the hosses but if you dont, you get manhandled like Bama, LSU and Auburn did to us last year or you run out of gas and cant hold a lead like against T A$M.

He brought in Dan Enos to diversify the offense somewhat, but we know what BB's core beliefs about football are and unfortunately you need size, speed and talent to pull it off in the SEC.  Heck, if he ran the wishbone or something like Ga Tech does, at least teams would have to do something different than what they are used to doing when they play us.  But when Bama or LSU or Auburn play us, they simply have more size, speed and talent and its evident.  Im not saying run the wishbone or triple option or the run and shoot or whatever.  Im just saying that implementing BB's way of football in the SEC is tough when you consistently get the 9th thru 12th best recruiting class in the conference year in and year out.  The difference in depth of talent, size, speed between Ark and Bama, LSU, Auburn, T A$M is vast and it shows.

So BB could very well be on the hotseat if he falters this coming season.

HamSammich

I've enjoyed this.... 99 percent of you are one extreme or the other.

There is a simple fact in business.... has your ass produced or not?

Except this is a college sport and not a business. Which I guess is good because it would be in chapter 11 if it was the latter.

GuvHog

Quote from: Deep Shoat on May 17, 2017, 02:44:28 pm

And I DO expect us to be good.  I can just look at the last 50 years and see that your way is a fail.  Seriously, should we fire Bielema and hire whoever your best up-and-comer is?  Then, if he doesn't produce in 2 years, fire him and hire the next one?  Should we just continue that until we hit on the next big thing?  Because, if that ISN'T what you are advocating, then you have nothing.  Firing Bielema won't make us miraculously better.

Or do you just want us to rehire Bobby?  Because he hasn't really done much since he left.

Oh, and as for you Guv, just shut up.  Your make believe world where Houston Nutt was a great coach and Bobby wasn't offered a chance to stay and CBB wasn't guaranteed 6 years can kiss my behind.  Eastex is wrong, but at least his points make sense.

Houston Nutt is most certainly NOT even a good coach much less a great one. Where you got that I said that, I don't know. I wanted the guy gone after his last loss to Tennessee in 2007.

As for Bobby Petrino, I suggest that you check the transcript of the press conference where Jeff Long announced his termination. Jeff Long was specifically asked if Bobby staying at Arkansas was ever an option and he said no, no terms for his staying were ever discussed.

Eastex nailed you to the wall and you don't even realize it.

Hogs-n-Roses

Quote from: GuvHog on May 18, 2017, 08:20:40 am
Houston Nutt is most certainly NOT even a good coach much less a great one. Where you got that I said that, I don't know. I wanted the guy gone after his last loss to Tennessee in 2007.

As for Bobby Petrino, I suggest that you check the transcript of the press conference where Jeff Long announced his termination. Jeff Long was specifically asked if Bobby staying at Arkansas was ever an option and he said no, no terms for his staying were ever discussed.

Eastex nailed you to the wall and you don't even realize it.
This was around the 10 minit mark of JL's PC.Everyone there that day or knew anyone there that day knows its a direct lie.

LZH

Quote from: Hogs-n-Roses on May 18, 2017, 08:37:49 am
This was around the 10 minit mark of JL's PC.Everyone there that day or knew anyone there that day knows its a direct lie.

Kinda like Jeff didn't have a clue about Jessica..... yeah riiiiight.

BigE_23

Quote from: Hogs-n-Roses on May 18, 2017, 08:37:49 am

Question starts at 9:30 to be exact...

RazorWest

May 18, 2017, 09:36:42 am #511 Last Edit: May 18, 2017, 09:58:47 am by RazorWest
Quote from: LR54 on May 17, 2017, 10:49:52 am
Based on the last couple of years, he has a lot of company.

SEC-W Records 2015-2016.

CBB 8-8
Freeze 8-8
Sumlin 8-8
Mullen 7-9
Malzahn 7-9
This is why the SEC west is no longer the best.  A bunch of crappy coaches

LR54

Quote from: RazorWest on May 18, 2017, 09:36:42 am
This is why the SEC west is no longer the best.  A bunch of crappy coaches

Guess that depends on your definition of crappy.

Freeze - 2 wins over Bama and one play away from winning the SEC-W and likely making the CFP.

Sumlin - Considered one of the hottest "up and comers" in the country when he was hired from Houston. Beat Bama his first year in the SEC.

Mullen - 2 NC rings as OC at Florida. Had MS St. ranked #1 during 2014 season.

Malzahn - 1 NC ring as OC at Auburn. Won SEC his first year as HC and played for NC.

I kinda doubt there are very many schools from other conferences that would want to play these guys every week.

RazorWest

Quote from: LR54 on May 18, 2017, 10:53:54 am

Freeze - 2 wins over Bama and one play away from winning the SEC-W and likely making the CFP.

Sumlin - Considered one of the hottest "up and comers" in the country when he was hired from Houston. Beat Bama his first year in the SEC.

Malzahn - 1 NC ring as OC at Auburn. Won SEC his first year as HC and played for NC.

I kinda doubt there are very many schools from other conferences that would want to play these guys every week.

Who would you want coaching the hogs out of them?  Malzahn might make sense.  Others, no way. 

BigE_23

Quote from: LR54 on May 18, 2017, 10:53:54 am

Exactly...those records only indicate how good the West actually is. Which is why we need to be able to have confidence that our coach can navigate it.

bkjbearcat

Quote from: Deep Shoat on May 17, 2017, 02:44:28 pm

Didn't his QB just win the Heisman? Don't most HC's put that as a feather in their cap?
B-E-A-R-C-A-T-S BEARCATS, BEARCATS GOOOOOOO BEARCATS!!!!!!!<br /><br />D2 National Champs in Football: 1998, 1999, 2009, 2013, 2015, 2016<br /><br />D2 National Champs in Mens Basketball: 2017, 2019, No.1 team in 2020,2021, 2022

LR54

Quote from: RazorWest on May 18, 2017, 10:59:06 am
Who would you want coaching the hogs out of them?  Malzahn might make sense.  Others, no way.

For building a solid program at Arkansas? I wouldn't trade any of 'em for CBB.

For winning any single game? Any of them is probably capable.

Isn't it interesting that every one of these guys was considered a "hot" up and comer with trendy, high powered offenses, when they were hired?

LR54

Quote from: BigE_23 on May 18, 2017, 11:04:00 am
Exactly...those records only indicate how good the West actually is. Which is why we need to be able to have confidence that our coach can navigate it.

It occurs to me that every fan base in the West, other than Bama's, is worried about the same thing.

They all have some great wins, some inexplicable losses to lesser teams, some unexpected and confusing setbacks.

It's a riddle, wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma.

ricepig

Quote from: RazorWest on May 18, 2017, 10:59:06 am

Mullen is the only one.

wachhog

Quote from: ricepig on May 17, 2017, 01:18:05 pm
We housed LSU at their place the year before, so the problem was fixed that day, correct?
Well, I can understand LSU housing their visiting opponent.  But where did we house LSU, the home team, in Baton Rouge? Did we pitch tents for them in our hotel's parking.lot?

ricepig

Quote from: wachhog on May 18, 2017, 06:15:06 pm
Well, I can understand LSU housing their visiting opponent.  But where did we house LSU, the home team, in Baton Rouge? Did we pitch tents for them in our hotel's parking.lot?

I don't know, you'll have to ask Code where this took place.....

factchecker

May 18, 2017, 06:24:38 pm #521 Last Edit: May 19, 2017, 11:44:36 am by factchecker
Quote from: code red on May 17, 2017, 01:23:30 pm
He got out coached by Orgeron for goodness sake I fail to see how 2 yrs ago applies to our problems at this point and time.

I'm not going to argue that Orgeron is a great coach or some X and O genius but a couple other teams got "out coached" by him last season.  One in particular was coached by a supposed offensive genius and had the heisman winner at QB.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

hogcard1964

Quote from: LR54 on May 18, 2017, 12:07:34 pm
For building a solid program at Arkansas? I wouldn't trade any of 'em for CBB.

For winning any single game? Any of them is probably capable.

Isn't it interesting that every one of these guys was considered a "hot" up and comer with trendy, high powered offenses, when they were hired?

You should ask their alumni if they'd trade any of their coaches for Bielema.  I don't think you'd like the answers.

LR54

May 19, 2017, 10:01:15 am #523 Last Edit: May 21, 2017, 08:21:34 am by LR54
Quote from: hogcard1964 on May 19, 2017, 08:38:39 am
You should ask their alumni if they'd trade any of their coaches for Bielema.  I don't think you'd like the answers.

Wouldn't care if they thought he was the best fit for their particular situation or not. My concern is getting a solid program built at Arkansas.

runninhog

Quote from: code red on May 17, 2017, 02:59:35 pm
Nobody is saying fire him now.  5-7 is a possibility next year and in year 5 is unacceptable.  Heck, to even utter 5-7 year 5 is unacceptable....IMHO.  We MUST roll TCU or it will start to unravel.

Yes, 5 wins would be unacceptable, but I don't think we have to "roll" TCU. I think we can win 8. Maybe 9, which would certainly guarantee his job security.

NaturalStateReb

It's hard to get clicks in the offseason.  Don't blame them for mixing it up with a bit of clickbait.
"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

razorsharptusk

I would love to see Arkansas in the hunt every single year.  However, being a fan for years, you simply know that this will never be the case.  I'm not asking for it to be.  If we can show up big and be special about every 3rd year and contend for a big 6 bowl game, yet stay competitive and have a respectful record in the off years or what some call "rebuilding years", I'd be fine with that.   And I don't think to feel this way is settling for a mediocre football program. I think it's reality.  We are not going to be Alabama because we will never recruit like them.  We do not have the legacy of being that type of football program.  Yet we are not "poor little Arkansas" as some like to portray either.  As someone mentioned above, there will be years where we have a couple of very special talents, and that will give us an edge for lining up and contending with some of these tougher schools in our conference.  That is just the way it is going to be.  And if we happen to get these special athletes, we then have to hope that the defense is in place to hold their end of the rope.  Seem's over the years, things just have to line up right in order for Arkansas to pull off a huge year.

What disturbed me more last year than anything else is the way it appeared that Coach B. disconnected with the players.  The last two halves of those last two games should not have happened.  We were in complete control, just to come out in the second half and look lost or completely unmotivated. It's hard for me to believe the same guys that put you up big in the first half, come out flat in the second.  It seems this one is better laid on the coaches shoulders.  Multiple times I seen Coach stand away from his team by himself and, in my opinion, missing valuable opportunities to coach up his players when they may could have used it.  Something did not appear right between him and the players.  Maybe it was him and the coaches, I don't know.  But I hope that get's corrected for sure.   

I'm not expecting a stellar year this year.  I'd love to be proven wrong.  It's year 5.  SEC w-l record is ugly over his 4 years.   No matter how you spin it, Coach B. needs to start clicking off some SEC wins.  He said he wanted to give us something we have never had.  It's hard to see the needle pointing in that direction right now to achieve that.  But we will see.  Go Hogs!
GO HOGS!!

Biggus Piggus

They don't have Malzahn listed at all?
[CENSORED]!

GuvHog

Quote from: ricepig on May 17, 2017, 01:18:05 pm
We housed LSU at their place the year before, so the problem was fixed that day, correct?

Both programs had problems that day but LSU's problems were worse. Last year LSU solved their problems but the Hogs didn't.

ricepig

Quote from: GuvHog on May 21, 2017, 08:16:34 am
Both programs had problems that day but LSU's problems were worse. Last year LSU solved their problems but the Hogs didn't.

31-14, 38-10, not much difference.

hobhog

Quote from: hogcard1964 on May 19, 2017, 08:38:39 am

Same for every alumni in SEC except Bama. Every fanbase has its haters.....

GuvHog

Quote from: ricepig on May 21, 2017, 08:32:01 am
31-14, 38-10, not much difference.

I'd say they are the exact opposite and that makes my point very well seeing as the Hogs hammered LSU in 2015 and LSU returned the favor last year. That shows that they solved their problem last year and the Hogs hadn't solved theirs yet.

Hawgar The Horrible

Hot seat? Try not even tepid. Those of you clamoring for a change need to do the math and weep. You're in the minority in a BIG way.

https://www.seccountry.com/arkansas/bret-bielema-arkansas-football-approval-rating
There are fans and there are supporters. The latter carries the weight.

MemphisBossHog

Quote from: factchecker on May 18, 2017, 06:24:38 pm
I'm not going to argue that Orgeron is a great coach or some X and O genius but a couple other teams got "out coached" by him last season.  One in particular was coached by a supposed offensive genius and had the heisman winner at QB.

I would submit that Orgeron didnt outcoach anybody, he just got out of his talent's way and let his assistant coaches simply utilize the tools they had.  For some reason Les Miles could hoard talent and then he would hold it back, trying to run a conservative offense when he has talent at receiver, RB....just about everywhere.  Once Miles was out of the picture, it doesnt seem like a hard task to just let your talent show which is what happened against Arkansas.  They simply manhandled the Hogs.  They had 2 running backs better than our starter in Fournette and Grice.  LSU is simply loaded.  They are one of the few teams that can recruit on the same level as Bama.  For years Miles has squandered it but Orgeron did not.  He is a helluva a recruiter.  We saw that at Ole Mrs.  He just let his assistants do their jobs.  LSU could be a problem for several years now.

Mike Irwin

So some dude at coacheshotseat.com knows a guy from Ft. Smith who told him over dinner in San Francisco that Bret Bielema must have a voodoo hex on Hog fans to keep his job with such a crappy SEC winning percentage? And this is the basis for a thread that has 7,200 hits and 550 responses?

What if a guy from upyournose.com knew a guy from Hogeye who, over lunch in Piggott, said the guy in Ft. Smith who knew the dude at coacheshotseat.com was a complete fruitcake? How many hits would that thread get?

LZH

Quote from: Hawgar The Horrible on May 21, 2017, 02:52:15 pm
Hot seat? Try not even tepid. Those of you clamoring for a change need to do the math and weep. You're in the minority in a BIG way.

https://www.seccountry.com/arkansas/bret-bielema-arkansas-football-approval-rating

Good for 11th in the SEC.....

ricepig

Quote from: GuvHog on May 21, 2017, 12:50:37 pm
I'd say they are the exact opposite and that makes my point very well seeing as the Hogs hammered LSU in 2015 and LSU returned the favor last year. That shows that they solved their problem last year and the Hogs hadn't solved theirs yet.

No, all it shows is that we won in 2015, they won in 2016. 

hobhog

Quote from: Mike Irwin on May 21, 2017, 04:51:40 pm
So some dude at coacheshotseat.com knows a guy from Ft. Smith who told him over dinner in San Francisco that Bret Bielema must have a voodoo hex on Hog fans to keep his job with such a crappy SEC winning percentage? And this is the basis for a thread that has 7,200 hits and 550 responses?

What if a guy from upyournose.com knew a guy from Hogeye who, over lunch in Piggott, said the guy in Ft. Smith who knew the dude at coacheshotseat.com was a complete fruitcake? How many hits would that thread get?

Exactly. If you read it on the Internet it must be true....

factchecker

WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

Sed76

If he produces another season like last year the spin for giving him more time is going to be fun.

wildhogman

Quote from: Sed76 on May 21, 2017, 10:48:05 pm
If he produces another season like last year the spin for giving him more time is going to be fun.
and if we win 9 or 10 games plus a major bowl this board will be enjoyable and certain peole will be very quiet. Wont that be great

Sed76

Quote from: wildhogman on May 21, 2017, 11:23:53 pm
and if we win 9 or 10 games plus a major bowl this board will be enjoyable and certain peole will be very quiet. Wont that be great

I hope we win them all but based on what I have seen since he has been here just don't have much faith that will happen. Would love to be wrong.

Al Boarland

Quote from: wildhogman on May 21, 2017, 11:23:53 pm

Why would anyone be quiet if the program is successful? There is not a Hog fan out there that celebrates losing. People have different expectations for the program, but no one would refuse to celebrate success.

HognitiveDissonance

Quote from: LR54 on May 13, 2017, 08:59:22 pm
Do more with less? AYSM? You take that Heisman winning QB and a #3 ranked team and lose to an unranked non-P5 team by scoring 10 pts.

Then you take that same QB and a now #11 ranked team and lose to Kentucky. KENTUCKY!

Then you lose a bowl game to LSU with a then interim HC while scoring a whopping 9 pts.

CBB may not be exceptional at anything, but he's done a few things BP hasn't.

A win over a #1 ranked team.

3 consecutive P-5 championships.

Coached a NFL Rookie of the year, Super Bowl winning QB, AND a NFL Defensive Player of the year.

There may be a few more, but that's a good start.
Bielema did those things at Wisconsin, not Arkansas. Different league, different team.
While it does have meaning, and he's clearly a good coach, it's also an apples and oranges situation in some ways. All I care about is what the person does at Arkansas. That's the only relevancy.
Petrino has only coached at places that will never be known for being loaded with talent---Louisville and Arkansas. He's never had a team loaded with talent a la Ohio State, LSU, Florida, or Alabama.
What you say is true---Lville got outclassed by LSU in their bowl game. Because LSU has much more talent than Lville does, not even close.
It doesn't change the fact that Petrino turned a 3-star recruit into a Heisman winner playing in his offense. That's pretty noteworthy. That is doing more with less, which was my point.
Same thing happened at Arkansas in 2011. Ark won all their games but played two teams that far outclassed them and they got housed. Too much talent differential.
That doesn't change the fact that Ark still finished #5 in the nation---a ranking they've never had since 1977. A truly great coaching job.
Petrino has taken Lville and Ark to places they've never been before, or in a long time. 34 years in Arkansas' case.

When Bielema has finishes similar to that, I'll be the first to sing his praise. I just never saw it coming when he was hired. The biggest problem I see is he's trying to bang heads and play the same style as LSU and Bama, and he'll probably never have the hosses to do that. It's a losing proposition. I don't think he is, or should be, on the hot seat. I've said before if a coach averages 7-8 wins a year over a 10-year average, he should be fine coaching football here. I said we were headed towards a repeat of the Nutt years, also. Which to me, were pretty good. Nutt average 7.5 wins over 10 years. That's where I saw Bielema's career here playing out, and to me we're right on schedule.

To summarize again: you have to be truly exceptional to rise above that 7-8 win average coaching football at Arkansas. While Nutt and Bielema are good coaches without a doubt, they're not exceptional, which is required for the job here. I do think Petrino was exceptional, and he still got his brains beat in by LSU and Bama in 2011, but to me that's a knock on the Arkansas coaching job, and not him.

Frank Broyles and Bobby Petrino are the best coaches Ark has ever had, with Lou Holtz right behind them. Behind those guys, you have another good tier of Hatfield, Nutt, and Bielema.

hawgon

Quote from: HognitiveDissonance on May 22, 2017, 12:50:23 pm
Bielema did those things at Wisconsin, not Arkansas. Different league, different team.
While it does have meaning, and he's clearly a good coach, it's also an apples and oranges situation in some ways. All I care about is what the person does at Arkansas. That's the only relevancy.
Petrino has only coached at places that will never be known for being loaded with talent---Louisville and Arkansas. He's never had a team loaded with talent a la Ohio State, LSU, Florida, or Alabama.
What you say is true---Lville got outclassed by LSU in their bowl game. Because LSU has much more talent than Lville does, not even close.
It doesn't change the fact that Petrino turned a 3-star recruit into a Heisman winner playing in his offense. That's pretty noteworthy. That is doing more with less, which was my point.
Same thing happened at Arkansas in 2011. Ark won all their games but played two teams that far outclassed them and they got housed. Too much talent differential.
That doesn't change the fact that Ark still finished #5 in the nation---a ranking they've never had since 1977. A truly great coaching job.
Petrino has taken Lville and Ark to places they've never been before, or in a long time. 34 years in Arkansas' case.

When Bielema has finishes similar to that, I'll be the first to sing his praise. I just never saw it coming when he was hired. The biggest problem I see is he's trying to bang heads and play the same style as LSU and Bama, and he'll probably never have the hosses to do that. It's a losing proposition. I don't think he is, or should be, on the hot seat. I've said before if a coach averages 7-8 wins a year over a 10-year average, he should be fine coaching football here. I said we were headed towards a repeat of the Nutt years, also. Which to me, were pretty good. Nutt average 7.5 wins over 10 years. That's where I saw Bielema's career here playing out, and to me we're right on schedule.

To summarize again: you have to be truly exceptional to rise above that 7-8 win average coaching football at Arkansas. While Nutt and Bielema are good coaches without a doubt, they're not exceptional, which is required for the job here. I do think Petrino was exceptional, and he still got his brains beat in by LSU and Bama in 2011, but to me that's a knock on the Arkansas coaching job, and not him.

Frank Broyles and Bobby Petrino are the best coaches Ark has ever had, with Lou Holtz right behind them. Behind those guys, you have another good tier of Hatfield, Nutt, and Bielema.

Wake me up when Bielema ACTUALLY gets to a point where he is averaging seven or eight wins at Arkansas.  Right now he is at about 6.5 and to ACTUALLY average as many wins in a year as Nutt did, he is going to have to break out and get ten or so sometime in the next few years.

I know the usual suspects will say that you should not count his first year.  So, take that out and he is at 7.3.  But then again if you take out Nutt's two year pass, he is at 8.25.  And if you take out Petrino's first then he is at 9.3.

EastexHawg

Quote from: hawgon on May 22, 2017, 01:12:50 pm
I know the usual suspects will say that you should not count his first year.  So, take that out and he is at 7.3.  But then again if you take out Nutt's two year pass, he is at 8.25.  And if you take out Petrino's first then he is at 9.3.

I remember when anyone would mention Petrino going 21-5 over his last two seasons there would always be someone who would say, "Why do you only talk about his last two years?  He was here four, not two.  Don't his first two years count?"  Of course they do.  All seasons count.

BigE_23

Quote from: EastexHawg on May 22, 2017, 01:29:04 pm
I remember when anyone would mention Petrino going 21-5 over his last two seasons there would always be someone who would say, "Why do you only talk about his last two years?  He was here four, not two.  Don't his first two years count?"  Of course they do.  All seasons count.

Exactly...you don't get to discard Bert's 3-9 and sweep it under the rug as if it didn't happen, because bottom line - IT SHOULDN'T HAVE HAPPENED!!! That's kinda the whole point of this discussion.

DeltaBoy

CBB got to win at least 2 more and have no more of those horrible looses like we had at the Zoo and the bowl game.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

phadedhawg

I try to avoid caring about decisions that I don't get to make.  Whomever the coach is or isn't, I will still be cheering for the Razorbacks.  CBB runs a clean program, we aren't in the news for the wrong reasons, kids are graduating and we are playing at the historic average for us in the SEC. 

I don't see anyone in a position to do anything about it panicking at the moment. 

HognitiveDissonance

Quote from: hawgon on May 22, 2017, 01:12:50 pm
Wake me up when Bielema ACTUALLY gets to a point where he is averaging seven or eight wins at Arkansas.  Right now he is at about 6.5 and to ACTUALLY average as many wins in a year as Nutt did, he is going to have to break out and get ten or so sometime in the next few years.

I'm not part of the 'usual suspects', but yea, I don't hold CBB's first year against him. The fact is, he did walk into a bad situation. He followed a bunch of turmoil, and John L. Smith.
Petrino also inherited a tough situation. He took over a team that had just lost DMac, Felix, Monk, and Hillis.

Then there is always the inevitable growing pains that go along with a regime change.

Nutt inherited a pretty good situation. Ford left a good squad. Granted, Ford wasn't doing anything with them, but that was a good team he had assembled.

Lou Holtz walked into a gold mine in 1977.

Broyles took over a program that really didn't exist, as we know it, so he inherited a tough job too.

Here's how I would rank the difficulty of the job each coach took over, from toughest to best situation:

1)Broyles. Just because he basically built what we know as 'Arkansas football' from the ground up.
2)Bielema. Motorcycle wrecks and John L. Smith. Which was worse? Ha
3)Petrino. Installing totally new offense and had nothing to work with in 2008.
4)Crowe. Had pretty much lost all the playmakers from the 88-89 Cotton Bowl teams, but did have Quinn Grovey back
5)Hatfield. Didn't inherit too much, but it wasn't bad either. So-so situation.
6)Nutt
7)Holtz

Here's how I would rank each coaches' entire tenure, as a whole, from best coaching job, to worst

1)Broyles. Only national champion and built the program as we know it. Was the third winningest program in the 60s in all of college football. A renaissance man.
2)Petrino. Outstanding X and O guy and great motivator(by fear). Highest finish by a Hog team in 34 years. 'Nough said.
3)Holtz. If you had to win one game, it would probably be him. Fantastic coach and entertaining guy to boot. '78 Orange Bowl probably the greatest game in Ark history.
4)Nutt. Close call between Hatfield/Bielema/Nutt. At this moment Nutt has had 10 years playing in the rugged SEC, with a  pretty solid record. Hatfield never had to coach in the SEC, so it's kinda apples to oranges. Bielema has only had four years in the SEC so far.
5)Hatfield. One of the winningest coaches by percentage. Back to back Cotton Bowls. Great guy. His teams played close to their potential each year. Back to back Cotton Bowls
6)Bielema. Could rise on this list, let's see a few more SEC seasons take place. Has built Arkansas back to respected levels already.
7)Crowe. It says here he never got a fair shake. Didn't set the world on fire, true, but got to coach only two full seasons and one game.