Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

CBB... #7 on Coaches Hot Seat

Started by moses_007, May 13, 2017, 04:08:58 am

Previous topic - Next topic

jkstock04

Quote from: LZH on May 15, 2017, 07:11:00 am
True, many do just that. But even in his second year (and thanks to a couple of miracles in WMS - ULM and LSU - we were only a fumble in the UK game away from Shreveport in his first year) his team was as good or better than anything BB has done in four. And I totally agree with the I-want-my-Bobby-back crowd....he is a helluva coach. He could gameplan, could make adjustments on the fly, could get the most out of players, etc. (though I spent many Saturdays screaming at his defenses).

Anyone who pledges their loyalty to a coach over the program just baffles me. These guys that spew marshmallow excuses for BB's performance thus far are no different than those who still pine for BP even though he took a big crap on our fanbase, not to mention our entire athletic department.
Agreed...so many don't get it. It's not about Petrino or Bielema or Nutt or whoever. It's about the Arkansas Razorbacks. Think about this, we will be here for life...these coaches are TEMPORARY. They don't have their names on the sidewalk and sure weren't Hog fans til they were hired.

Why so many want to fall over themselves to defend these guys here only for a paycheck and to try and make a name for themself is beyond me. These coaches are only as loyal as long as the paychecks keep rolling in until something better comes along. Why worship them like they are the end all be all of the Arkansas Razorbacks?

I don't like Petrino...don't have to. I did however enjoyed the hell out of football program when he was around.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

phadedhawg

Quote from: The ColonelHog on May 15, 2017, 01:01:18 pm
At the end of the day, whether BB is PERCIEVED to be playing a tougher schedule or not, we are still stuck in a spiral of ineptness.  Success is measured at this level based on Ws and Ls as it should be and the bottom line is that BB is failing in that aspect miserably.  He has to start winning in the SEC now or he should be shown the door.

When fans get tired of watching him lose they will want to see a new person lose for awhile. 

LZH

Quote from: Wildhog on May 15, 2017, 12:45:51 pm
It is what it is.  I supported his firing.  I just don't feel the need to downplay his success.

There was supposedly gonna be as many as 10,000 people show up for the "Keep Bobby" rally. That evening when I saw about eight folks standing around with a couple of signs I thought "ruh-roh, he gone".

LZH

Quote from: phadedhawg on May 15, 2017, 01:04:03 pm
When fans get tired of watching him lose they will want to see a new person lose for awhile. 

Ha! Ain't that like saying "I'm gonna dump my ugly-ass cheatin' woman for a good lookin' cheatin' woman"?......:)

Wildhog

Quote from: LZH on May 15, 2017, 01:08:29 pm
There was supposedly gonna be as many as 10,000 people show up for the "Keep Bobby" rally. That evening when I saw about eight folks standing around with a couple of signs I thought "ruh-roh, he gone".

If the dumbass wouldn't have had that stupid press conference, and told Long the truth, they could have swept that mess under the rug and we could have kept rollin'.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

ricepig

Quote from: Wildhog on May 15, 2017, 12:45:51 pm
It is what it is.  I supported his firing.  I just don't feel the need to downplay his success.

I agree, I loved winning, but he isn't here, isn't coming back, and Bielema isn't going anywhere for 2 years, but I guess we have to talk about something.......

Wildhog

Quote from: ricepig on May 15, 2017, 01:16:02 pm
I agree, I loved winning, but he isn't here, isn't coming back, and Bielema isn't going anywhere for 2 years, but I guess we have to talk about something.......

Summer is always the worst.
1909/1964/1965/1977

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: The ColonelHog on May 15, 2017, 01:14:59 pm
And he will more than likely be dismissed after this season.  As well he should be and any other coach who is failing to achieve anything better than 7-6.  It amazes me people keep defending the undefendable.  The record is the record and it's not good enough.  I don't understand the man crush on BB exhibited on this site with constant excuses when the ONLY fact defining his performance are Ws and Ls.  Is it his his quippy slogans (UNCOMMON), is it his constant "foot in mount statements," is it his little dogs, his wife?  Why are people defending a performance that's incompetent thus far at best?  I just don't understand what has happened to some of the fan base of a once proud P5 school where mediocrity is so quickly embraced. 

What is our average season record since joining the SEC?
Go Hogs Go!

ricepig

LZH

Quote from: Wildhog on May 15, 2017, 01:12:39 pm
If the dumbass wouldn't have had that stupid press conference, and told Long the truth, they could have swept that mess under the rug and we could have kept rollin'.

Very true. The first call he should have made from that ditch (while trying to avoid that ass-kicking he got from JD's fiance lol) was to Jeff Long. "I've screwed up, what do we do?!"

buldozer

Quote from: The ColonelHog on May 15, 2017, 01:18:23 pm
I don't think there is a P5 school in the country that would hire him considering his performance at UA.  To think so is simply fiction.  He will have to take the same route as Charlie Strong, pray to get a job at some nondescript school and work his way back to a P5 job.
This would be the case if CBB is fired but not so much if he quits. He is a good salesman with a degree in marketing and he talks a good game. I think he will bolt for another job after this year if this year turns out similar to last. He knows once he is fired he is damaged goods and if he walks he can always make up a story such as he wasn't allowed to pay his assistants enough to keep them....

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: The ColonelHog on May 15, 2017, 01:31:53 pm
I'll take watching someone else lose over watching the same person continuously doing it.  Einstein said "the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."  It's INSANE to accept watching the SAME coach continue failing.  Hell, bring on the Greenwood coach!  He could win 7 games!

And he will more than likely be dismissed after this season.  As well he should be and any other coach who is failing to achieve anything better than 7-6.  It amazes me people keep defending the undefendable.  The record is the record and it's not good enough.  I don't understand the man crush on BB exhibited on this site with constant excuses when the ONLY fact defining his performance are Ws and Ls.  Is it his his quippy slogans (UNCOMMON), is it his constant "foot in mount statements," is it his little dogs, his wife?  Why are people defending a performance that's incompetent thus far at best?  I just don't understand what has happened to some of the fan base of a once proud P5 school where mediocrity is so quickly embraced. 

Again, what is our average record since joining the SEC?
Go Hogs Go!

phadedhawg

I guess hiring Greenwood's coach could save some money but I don't see it elevating us to new win totals.  Greenwood's record probably wouldn't be as impressive if they joined the SEC. 

RazorWest

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on May 15, 2017, 01:18:31 pm
What is our average season record since joining the SEC?

Conference winning %. 

Danny Ford    .413
Houston Nutt  .525
Bobby Petrino .531
John L Smith  .250
Bielema         .292

bkjbearcat

Quote from: The ColonelHog on May 15, 2017, 01:18:23 pm
I don't think there is a P5 school in the country that would hire him considering his performance at UA.  To think so is simply fiction.  He will have to take the same route as Charlie Strong, pray to get a job at some nondescript school and work his way back to a P5 job.

He goes to K State to replace Snyder. At least as long as there's a deal that BB has to keep Snyder's son on staff for two more seasons.
B-E-A-R-C-A-T-S BEARCATS, BEARCATS GOOOOOOO BEARCATS!!!!!!!<br /><br />D2 National Champs in Football: 1998, 1999, 2009, 2013, 2015, 2016<br /><br />D2 National Champs in Mens Basketball: 2017, 2019, No.1 team in 2020,2021, 2022

GuvHog

:'(
Quote from: RazorWest on May 15, 2017, 01:39:04 pm
Conference winning %. 

Danny Ford    .413
Houston Nutt  .525
Bobby Petrino .531
John L Smith  .250
Bielema         .292

It speaks volumes doesn't it?   :-*
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

LZH

Quote from: bkjbearcat on May 15, 2017, 01:44:10 pm
He goes to K State to replace Snyder. At least as long as there's a deal that BB has to keep Snyder's son on staff for two more seasons.

That would probably be a good gig for him, actually.

gchamblee

Quote from: LZH on May 15, 2017, 07:11:00 am
True, many do just that. But even in his second year (and thanks to a couple of miracles in WMS - ULM and LSU - we were only a fumble in the UK game away from Shreveport in his first year) his team was as good or better than anything BB has done in four. And I totally agree with the I-want-my-Bobby-back crowd....he is a helluva coach. He could gameplan, could make adjustments on the fly, could get the most out of players, etc. (though I spent many Saturdays screaming at his defenses).

Anyone who pledges their loyalty to a coach over the program just baffles me. These guys that spew marshmallow excuses for BB's performance thus far are no different than those who still pine for BP even though he took a big crap on our fanbase, not to mention our entire athletic department.

Very unfair of you to claim that people defending CBB are putting their loyalty in a coach instead of the program. Its a chickenshit claim meant to make you look right and them look wrong. What about the fans who are loyal to the program and are supporting CBB because they think he is good for the program?

Just because you are ready to fire him and move on does not mean everyone that doesn't reach that point as fast as you do are somehow turning their back on the program. You're usually pretty cool even when you disagree with people but that is how a high school girl argues. You need to step back and rethink the vocabulary you are shoving down peoples throats. It makes you look desperate to win the argument.

Wildhog

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on May 15, 2017, 01:35:07 pm
Again, what is our average record since joining the SEC?

I don't feel like looking it up, but IIRC it's just under 8 wins/season, correct?
1909/1964/1965/1977

phadedhawg

I understand fan dissatisfaction with unsatisfactory results but I've seen many coaches come and go and the fundamental issues remain the same.  Until the SEC and more specifically the SEC West gets a shake up, we are always fighting an uphill battle.  There will be years where we peak above average and those when we are below.  Bielema runs a drama free program, graduates kids, and prepares boys to become men.  That doesn't equate to beating Alabama but no matter who we hired, we aren't going to consistently beat Nick Saban's Crimson Tide. 

I think Bielema is building something Arkansas fans can be proud of off the field but leaves fans wanting more on the field results.  You usually hire to correct the problems of the last coach.  Arkansas wanted to shore up the school's reputation after Petrino put it in a ditch and Bielema was the safe choice. 

I still support Bielema but I'm not one of the members of Razorback Nation that thinks we are one hire away from a National Championship. 

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: Torqued pork on May 13, 2017, 11:58:07 am
I would be more worried about the program if he wasn't on hot seat lists this far in with that record.

This...  BUT, I do think whomever was quoted, on top of being a spoiled cork soaker, is failing to see the academic and social impacts CBB has had on this team and athletic department over all. If you do things the right way good things happen. I believe this. It's about to start paying off.
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: The ColonelHog on May 15, 2017, 01:39:58 pm
Why do people keep quoting this?  So what?  If American society had said "oh it's the average so why strive to achieve anything else," where would any of us be?  That's just not sound thinking, nor is it what this country or any FB program was built on!  It is societal nature to do better, not take historical data points to identify limitations.  We are a country of achieving and to take the average winning percentage since joining the SEC and make that the threshold of measuring success is just wrong.  But then again, I guess that's why apathy is a word....

Because, "Mr. any coach that can't win more than 7 games should be fired...Greenwood's Coach could win 7", it has been right at a 7-6 record on average. We have had seasons when we won more and seasons where we won less, but the overall body of work has been 7-6. Not great. And though I would love to see us be a 9-4 average team, that isn't ever going to be likely with the competition we play.

I'll be happy if we can continue the internal quality of the program, the young men who come through the school and the program and we occasionally jump up and win 9-10 games, maybe even 11 on the rare occasion. But our sweet spot in the SEC is going to be 7 to 8 wins each year. That said, I would like to see us stop giving games away and that certainly needs to be corrected...should have won at least 9 last year.

But making statements like "Greenwood's Coach could win 7 in the SEC" is just silly and way over the top.
Go Hogs Go!

RazorWest

Quote from: phadedhawg on May 15, 2017, 02:04:03 pm
I understand fan dissatisfaction with unsatisfactory results but I've seen many coaches come and go and the fundamental issues remain the same.  Until the SEC and more specifically the SEC West gets a shake up, we are always fighting an uphill battle.  There will be years where we peak above average and those when we are below.  Bielema runs a drama free program, graduates kids, and prepares boys to become men.  That doesn't equate to beating Alabama but no matter who we hired, we aren't going to consistently beat Nick Saban's Crimson Tide. 

I think Bielema is building something Arkansas fans can be proud of off the field but leaves fans wanting more on the field results.  You usually hire to correct the problems of the last coach.  Arkansas wanted to shore up the school's reputation after Petrino put it in a ditch and Bielema was the safe choice. 

I still support Bielema but I'm not one of the members of Razorback Nation that thinks we are one hire away from a National Championship.

Bielema was hired because on paper he was the best option.  His resume made him a slam dunk hire, problem is he just hasn't been able to produce. 

gchamblee

I think you struggle with math. In your mind, if every team had good coaches, everyone would win 8 games or more. You do realize it is impossible for all FBS teams to go 8-4 right? So, after you have done the math and figured this out, are you in favor of continuing to fire good coaches until luck would happen to be on the side of your program and other programs were forced to fire their good coaches? It is my opinion that good coaches should not be fired and allowed to work themselves up to the next level. However, if they are not a good coach then by all means replace them.

When a football game is played, someone has to lose. Good coaches will lose games but it is not always the coaches fault. It is not a coaches fault the Drew Morgan fumbled the ball trying to make a play in the VT game. It is not a coaches fault that Austin was throwing picks like he had money on the game. It was not CBP's fault that Mallet threw a pick late in the Sugar Bowl when we could have won that game. Sometimes, good players just choke and will learn from it. It is my opinion that when a good player chokes away a victory it breaks the coaches heart, not because he just suffered a loss but because he knows that player is going to carry that baggage around for a while.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on May 15, 2017, 02:10:19 pm
Because, "Mr. any coach that can't win more than 7 games should be fired...Greenwood's Coach could win 7", it has been right at a 7-6 record on average. We have had seasons when we won more and seasons where we won less, but the overall body of work has been 7-6. Not great. And though I would love to see us be a 9-4 average team, that isn't ever going to be likely with the competition we play.

I'll be happy if we can continue the internal quality of the program, the young men who come through the school and the program and we occasionally jump up and win 9-10 games, maybe even 11 on the rare occasion. But our sweet spot in the SEC is going to be 7 to 8 wins each year. That said, I would like to see us stop giving games away and that certainly needs to be corrected...should have won at least 9 last year.

But making statements like "Greenwood's Coach could win 7 in the SEC" is just silly and way over the top.

While I agree he needs more time, I do not agree that Arkansas has limited potential for any reason. We are fight inertia since 1992, and we typically continue to darn our pants at the cuspice of doing good things. Holtz, and Petrino proved that you can win here. I believe that CBB has the tools, and if he hasn't shown that by next december then he should be on the hottest of hot seats... If he does deliver, people need to recognize next year that we have a first year QB coming in and not have a cow if we take a step back to 8 or 9 wins...
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

LZH

Quote from: gchamblee on May 15, 2017, 01:47:07 pm
Very unfair of you to claim that people defending CBB are putting their loyalty in a coach instead of the program. Its a chickenshit claim meant to make you look right and them look wrong. What about the fans who are loyal to the program and are supporting CBB because they think he is good for the program?

Just because you are ready to fire him and move on does not mean everyone that doesn't reach that point as fast as you do are somehow turning their back on the program. You're usually pretty cool even when you disagree with people but that is how a high school girl argues. You need to step back and rethink the vocabulary you are shoving down peoples throats. It makes you look desperate to win the argument.

Unfair? I don't have any control over what someone else thinks or says. And this chicken**** claim is my honest [CENSORED] opinion....I don't believe I'm any less right than you do (or any other BB ass kissers for that matter). I never once said all BB supporters are choosing him over the program, but many (if not most) are doing just that. I truly believe some of you guys would rather see him continue to do exactly what he's doing even if it costs us 2-3 wins a year - it's like HDN and his cult all over again.

And if you recall, I've said countless times that firing him now would be a bad idea....besides, unless he just completely bombs, a coach deserves five years. I don't have to like it, but it's true. I'm not worried about winning some argument because there is no argument right now concerning his tenure....he's here for another two years barring a total meltdown. Again, I don't have to like it.

My actual argument is with those who continue to make excuses for him and defend his W-L record when it's sadly obvious that he is what we were afraid he was gonna be....average.

GuvHog

Quote from: OneTuskOverTheLine™ on May 15, 2017, 02:17:27 pm
While I agree he needs more time, I do not agree that Arkansas has limited potential for any reason. We are fight inertia since 1992, and we typically continue to darn our pants at the cuspice of doing good things. Holtz, and Petrino proved that you can win here. I believe that CBB has the tools, and if he hasn't shown that by next december then he should be on the hottest of hot seats... If he does deliver, people need to recognize next year that we have a first year QB coming in and not have a cow if we take a step back to 8 or 9 wins...

If the day ever comes at the University of Arkansas when winning 8 or 9 games is considered a step back, I'll be thrilled beyond belief. The U of A hasn't been that good since 2011.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

bkjbearcat

Quote from: LZH on May 15, 2017, 01:46:44 pm
That would probably be a good gig for him, actually.

It would be. Lower expectations. Weaker conference. Go to a bowl game, any bowl game every other year. He can recruit poorly (Three's and Two's) and no one would know the difference. Hell, all Snyder got even in his prime were Juco's and Three's. Beat KU more times then you loose, get an upset over Oklahoma or Texas every now and then and don't embarrass the program with off the field stuff. Perfect job for BB.
B-E-A-R-C-A-T-S BEARCATS, BEARCATS GOOOOOOO BEARCATS!!!!!!!<br /><br />D2 National Champs in Football: 1998, 1999, 2009, 2013, 2015, 2016<br /><br />D2 National Champs in Mens Basketball: 2017, 2019, No.1 team in 2020,2021, 2022

Al Boarland

Quote from: The ColonelHog on May 15, 2017, 01:39:58 pm
Why do people keep quoting this?  So what?  If American society had said "oh it's the average so why strive to achieve anything else," where would any of us be?  That's just not sound thinking, nor is it what this country or any FB program was built on!  It is societal nature to do better, not take historical data points to identify limitations.  We are a country of achieving and to take the average winning percentage since joining the SEC and make that the threshold of measuring success is just wrong.  But then again, I guess that's why apathy is a word....

I hear you, but what you are basically saying is like Idaho saying they DEMAND to be the largest miner of diamonds in the world. In both scenarios there are factors preventing it that can't be overcome.

Al Boarland

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on May 15, 2017, 12:35:02 pm
He let his DC stay one season too long and one of the areas in which I will offer some blame on Bielema, if the defense was that bad he should have stepped in or had Paul Rhoads step in and intervene. I think we are going to find that it wasn't a case of not having enough talent to execute in a better manner, it was just schemed poorly. Having allowed that to happen does fall directly at the feet of Bielema. On the bright side, at least he hired Rhoads and maybe that will make a difference this season.

I would think most would hope it was schematic as that gives the chance of bouncing back. However, the recruiting rankings would indicate a lack of talent as it compares to our SECw brethren.

EastexHawg

Quote from: gchamblee on May 15, 2017, 02:13:29 pm
I think you struggle with math. In your mind, if every team had good coaches, everyone would win 8 games or more. You do realize it is impossible for all FBS teams to go 8-4 right? So, after you have done the math and figured this out

This is an interesting point.  Take the SEC, for example.  When Arkansas goes 10-22 in the SEC over a four year period...after compiling a 17-15 conference record over four previous seasons, such as 2008-2011...that means the rest of the conference has to have a composite record that is seven games better in the former span of seasons than in the latter.  That might lead some to point out the records of SEC opponents and make the claim that the conference as a whole has gotten better, when in fact at least part of the explanation is that Arkansas has simply been worse.

You know...math and all.

When a football game is played, someone has to lose.

Good grief. 

The_Iceman

Quote from: The ColonelHog on May 15, 2017, 03:08:16 pm
Unlike what some do on this message board, I am not attempting to prove a point, be correct, or argue for argument sake.  I referred to the Grenwood coach tongue in cheek because I can't imagine a coach at BB's level coming in and his high water mark not be 7-6.  People keep talking about what he's building off the field but he's not doing anything other coaches across the country aren't doing.  Have players at other programs gotten in trouble, some.  Are coaches across the country graduating athletes, yes most so when people focus on "off the field," when in actuality, coaches across the country are achieving the same things, BB's failure to move past 7-6 records still stack up as failing miserably.  I don't consider an 8-4 record in the SEC average, I consider it as what SHOULD be happening.  Why should the conference have to take a step back to elevate the Hogs?  If the conference takes a step back to elevate the Hogs, then what is 8-4 worth?  Lastly, when determine a successful program, Bama doesn't enter my mind at all, NCs doesn't enter my mind at all but I do expect to beat the Mississippi schools, Mizzou, and alternately beat the Auburns, LSUs and aTms of the world.  No matter what argument anyone come up with to defend 7-6 it isn't an argument a proud fan would make.  Regardless of the competition, we have seen better and sooner rather than later, the majority of the fan base isn't going to want to keep hearing feel good stories that don't equate into W-Ls.

Why should we be regularly beating Auburn, LSU, and Texas a&m?

Look at their recruiting base, program traditions, etc. If we beat them every other year on average, that is overachieving.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Al Boarland on May 15, 2017, 02:43:38 pm
I would think most would hope it was schematic as that gives the chance of bouncing back. However, the recruiting rankings would indicate a lack of talent as it compares to our SECw brethren.

Yes, that is true, but if we had just been 50 yards better per game last year on defense, an improvement of 3/4 of a yard less per play, things might have been much different and maybe the offense wouldn't have panicked thinking they had to do everything and might not have handed so many T/O's to our opponents, that turned into opponent points. When you realize that it comes down to improving by just a yard less per play, the record number of big plays that we allowed last year tend to loom large.

A more aggressive style in the 3-4 might help generate that kind of improvement. I'd take a 376 yard per game average on defense right now, wouldn't you?
Go Hogs Go!

DeltaBoy

Quote from: moses_007 on May 13, 2017, 04:08:58 am
Yes, the Boss Hog is #7 on the Coaches Hot Seat.

http://coacheshotseat.com/chsblog/archives/2960

A good Arkansas-alum friend of ours who lives in Ft. Smith, Arkansas and was with his wife in San Francisco recently on a business trip told us at dinner one night the following about Arkansas head coach Bret Bielema:

"Whatever the Hell voodoo hex that Bielema has over Arkansas fans is something I would love to bottle and sell to football coaches everywhere, because there's no explanation for someone having a 10 – 22 record in SEC play in four seasons on the job having his ass kissed pretty much around the clock by Hog fans!"

Harsh considering due to Jeff Carpet Bagger Long ,  Pearl Harbored the Program before Brent got here.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Hawgar The Horrible

LOL. Only 19-20 more months left to go before a verdict is reached on CBB's future employment at Arkansas. But by all means, keep pounding away on those keyboards.
There are fans and there are supporters. The latter carries the weight.

Dropkick

CBBs seat is not even warm regardless how hot some of our fans want it to be.

Hawgar The Horrible

Quote from: Dropkick on May 15, 2017, 03:46:10 pm

APATHY! MEDIOCRITY! GARBLE-GARBLE-GARBLE-SPIT!!!
There are fans and there are supporters. The latter carries the weight.

nwahogfan1

Quote from: moses_007 on May 13, 2017, 04:08:58 am
Yes, the Boss Hog is #7 on the Coaches Hot Seat.

http://coacheshotseat.com/chsblog/archives/2960

A good Arkansas-alum friend of ours who lives in Ft. Smith, Arkansas and was with his wife in San Francisco recently on a business trip told us at dinner one night the following about Arkansas head coach Bret Bielema:

"Whatever the Hell voodoo hex that Bielema has over Arkansas fans is something I would love to bottle and sell to football coaches everywhere, because there's no explanation for someone having a 10 – 22 record in SEC play in four seasons on the job having his ass kissed pretty much around the clock by Hog fans!"

With his buy out being so large he has at least 2 more years.  So let's see then.  I think he needs some bigger wins and at least one 8+ season to last.

PorkRinds

Quote from: DeltaBoy on May 15, 2017, 03:39:27 pm
Harsh considering due to Jeff Carpet Bagger Long ,  Pearl Harbored the Program before Brent got here.

El oh el.

RT1941

It's a touch warm, has to be.  But who the hell will UA get to replace him? 

Seriously, LSU had to hire a career D-line coach, UGA hired a guy with zero HC experience, USCe hired a UF reject, OleMiss's HC has his neck on the NCAA guillotine waiting for the blade to drop any day.....

Who the hell can we realistically get to replace CBB?
RazorTusk!!!!

BigE_23

Quote from: RT1941 on May 15, 2017, 04:23:29 pm
It's a touch warm, has to be.  But who the hell will UA get to replace him?

Seriously, LSU had to hire a career D-line coach, UGA hired a guy with zero HC experience, USCe hired a UF reject, OleMiss's HC has his neck on the NCAA guillotine waiting for the blade to drop any day.....

Who the hell can we realistically get to replace Houston Nutt?

Fixed it for ya...because it's the same question that was asked in 2007.

Simply asking this question proves what so many clamor about on here - we've accepted that 6-8 wins is the best we can do and have forgotten just how close we were only a few years ago.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: The ColonelHog on May 15, 2017, 03:08:16 pm
Unlike what some do on this message board, I am not attempting to prove a point, be correct, or argue for argument sake.  I referred to the Grenwood coach tongue in cheek because I can't imagine a coach at BB's level coming in and his high water mark not be 7-6.  People keep talking about what he's building off the field but he's not doing anything other coaches across the country aren't doing.  Have players at other programs gotten in trouble, some.  Are coaches across the country graduating athletes, yes most so when people focus on "off the field," when in actuality, coaches across the country are achieving the same things, BB's failure to move past 7-6 records still stack up as failing miserably.  I don't consider an 8-4 record in the SEC average, I consider it as what SHOULD be happening.  Why should the conference have to take a step back to elevate the Hogs?  If the conference takes a step back to elevate the Hogs, then what is 8-4 worth?  Lastly, when determine a successful program, Bama doesn't enter my mind at all, NCs doesn't enter my mind at all but I do expect to beat the Mississippi schools, Mizzou, and alternately beat the Auburns, LSUs and aTms of the world.  No matter what argument anyone come up with to defend 7-6 it isn't an argument a proud fan would make.  Regardless of the competition, we have seen better and sooner rather than later, the majority of the fan base isn't going to want to keep hearing feel good stories that don't equate into W-Ls.

Apparently you didn't read my post. Have a nice day.
Go Hogs Go!

LR54

Quote from: Dropkick on May 15, 2017, 03:46:10 pm

But it's mildly entertaining to see some of 'em get lathered up at just the thought of it.

EastexHawg

Quote from: LR54 on May 15, 2017, 04:45:51 pm
But it's mildly entertaining to see some of 'em get lathered up at just the thought of it.

I'm glad the program having the worst half decade record of any SEC team not named Kentucky provides so much enjoyment.

And yes, I know Bielema wasn't here for the first of those five years...but his boss was.

RT1941

Quote from: BigE_23 on May 15, 2017, 04:44:12 pm
Fixed it for ya...because it's the same question that was asked in 2007.

Simply asking this question proves what so many clamor about on here - we've accepted that 6-8 wins is the best we can do and have forgotten just how close we were only a few years ago.
I was just looking at the most recent hires in the SEC when I asked the question.  The SEC overall is weak in coaching right now - a few yrs ago we had Miles/Spurrier/Saban/Richt/Petrino/Meyer compare that pedigree with what we have now and it's weak to mediocre at best.
RazorTusk!!!!

Hogwild

Quote from: HogHomer on May 15, 2017, 11:39:02 am
Its more of how much better the SEC West as a whole is than it is that the SEC was bad during BPs years. Muskogee data helps prove it as well.

All that post proved is he can manipulate the data enough to get some naive posters to fall for it. His time frame isn't limited to just the 4 years when either CBP & CBB were the HC.  He is taking numbers from when Houston Nutt and JL Smith were the head coach.  He left out teams, including Arkansas who was actually good during CBB years and not so good the past few years.

Since people want to forget about the first two years since (Nutt & Smith left the program in shambles)  it didn't matter who we were playing we weren't going to win, compare the SEC West in the final two years of CBP to the last two years under CBB.

#1 Auburn, #8 LSU, #10 Alabama, #12 Arkansas, #15 Miss. State, #19 A&M*
#1 Alabama, #2 LSU, #5 Arkansas

Two National Champions, 4 Top 5 teams, 6 Top 10 Teams, 7 Top 15 Teams

#1 Bama, #10 Ole Miss, #16 LSU
#2 Bama, #13 LSU, #24 Auburn

One National Champion, 2 Top 5 teams, 2 Top 10 Teams, 4 Top 15 Teams- this despite the addition of an additional team to the SEC West.

You are comparing two peak years of the SEC West of all-time vs two of the leanest years in the SEC West since the turn of the century. 

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Hogwild on May 15, 2017, 05:11:23 pm
All that post proved is he can manipulate the data enough to get some naive posters to fall for it. His time frame isn't limited to just the 4 years when either CBP & CBB were the HC.  He is taking numbers from when Houston Nutt and JL Smith were the head coach.  He left out teams, including Arkansas who was actually good during CBB years and not so good the past few years.

Boy, you are definitely a conspiracy theorist and I'm not manipulating anything. The whole purpose of aligned 5 year periods was to show the results of the other teams in the West, the majority of which belong to and happen to include all of the Petrino years and all of the Bielema years to date. You just don't care for what the data indicates, so naturally, you argue and attempt to discredit factual data that doesn't fit your agenda. And yes, I left out Arkansas because we were talking about the rest of the SEC West. If I were attempting to unfairly manipulate data I wouldn't have included the JLS year in Bielema's data nor would I have included 2007, Nutt's last year, in the other set of data. Man, find a new conspiracy in the politics forum.
Go Hogs Go!

umpqua

I think we go 6-6 this year with an invitation to the Liberty Bowl to see if we have a winning season. Bielema stays on through '18 and is fired.

I hope I'm wrong. I want the hogs and thus him to be successful.

PorkRinds

Quote from: umpqua on May 15, 2017, 05:40:08 pm
I think we go 6-6 this year with an invitation to the Liberty Bowl to see if we have a winning season. Bielema stays on through '18 and is fired.

I hope I'm wrong. I want the hogs and thus him to be successful.

I love "hope I'm wrong" posts.

Deep Shoat

Why do you people keep rehashing the same, tired arguments? 

CBB is here for 2 more years, minimum.  That is true no matter what.

CBB has to show some real progress in the next 2 years.  That is also true.

Stop arguing about your asinine opinions and enjoy the Hogs.
All Gas, No Brakes!