Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

CBB... #7 on Coaches Hot Seat

Started by moses_007, May 13, 2017, 04:08:58 am

Previous topic - Next topic

LZH

Quote from: ricepig on May 15, 2017, 07:26:02 am
He's talking about last year's UL team which dropped their last three games.

Oh good gravy.....who gives a darn about Louisville? I'm a Hog fan. And I know you are too.

These guys are chasing Petrino's punk ass around just as bad as those who would hire him back!

ricepig

Quote from: LZH on May 15, 2017, 07:30:32 am
Oh good gravy.....who gives a darn about Louisville? I'm a Hog fan. And I know you are too.

These guys are chasing Petrino's punk ass around just as bad as those who would hire him back!

Bielema has two years to win 16 regular season games to get year three, from the way I see it. He isn't going anywhere after this year, unless someone else hires him.

Redhogs

Quote from: LR54 on May 13, 2017, 08:59:22 pm
Do more with less? AYSM? You take that Heisman winning QB and a #3 ranked team and lose to an unranked non-P5 team by scoring 10 pts.

Then you take that same QB and a now #11 ranked team and lose to Kentucky. KENTUCKY!

Then you lose a bowl game to LSU with a then interim HC while scoring a whopping 9 pts.

CBB may not be exceptional at anything, but he's done a few things BP hasn't.

A win over a #1 ranked team.

3 consecutive P-5 championships.

Coached a NFL Rookie of the year, Super Bowl winning QB, AND a NFL Defensive Player of the year.

There may be a few more, but that's a good start.
Two things wrong with your post. CBP is long gone and not the issue, CBB has done NONE of those things at Arkansas or even close, and is still here, so he IS the issue.
Will I live long enough to see us win again? Will any of us?

LZH

Quote from: ricepig on May 15, 2017, 07:40:44 am

Bielema has two years to win 16 regular season games to get year three, from the way I see it. He isn't going anywhere after this year, unless someone else hires him.

His decision to go to the 3-4 kinda tells me that even though we know he is here for two more seasons (he'd have to lose 9-10 games to get bounced this year), he has probably been told as much. Not too unlike Hatfield using the I-formation and hiring an OC (even though it was FB's idea), or Nutt hiring GM (another likely FB concoction)....he knows he has to do something to save his job. But in his case, he has an extra year to make it happen.

hobhog

Quote from: LZH on May 15, 2017, 08:35:05 am
His decision to go to the 3-4 kinda tells me that even though we know he is here for two more seasons (he'd have to lose 9-10 games to get bounced this year), he has probably been told as much. Not too unlike Hatfield using the I-formation and hiring an OC (even though it was FB's idea), or Nutt hiring GM (another likely FB concoction)....he knows he has to do something to save his job. But in his case, he has an extra year to make it happen.

Great management style. Love you man, but you you may be fired in two years. But keep working hard and stay loyal to me okay buddy? Thanks. Now get to work!

code red

Quote from: azhog10 on May 13, 2017, 05:38:33 am
So true!

But CBB has done quite a bit off the field. He has a bit of "Nutt" in him (no pun intended) and seems to say the right things most of the time. I am pulling for him to turn things around but his time is running short with the fan base.
He is running a country club.  He will be gone sooner or later.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

Hogs-n-Roses

This isn't about Petrino! Nobody wishes him back here! The Petrino finger that gets pointed at anyone who questions the success(or lack there of) by both the coach and AD is just a cover the people who support the current bunch,run with. Their failures stand on their own and are enormous. One day most of them will come on here and act like nothing really bad has happened and although they have doubts, its prolly time to move on. Never will take accountability for their defenses and damages this bunch has done to our University. Now attack me in some common, weak manner as usual with your same ole rhetoric. To use your responses "Yawn". But I won't call someone an idiot as a couple of you do on a regular basis. Your just someone with an opinion,nothing more or less and your certainly no more a Hog fan than any of us who doubt this experiment JL is conducting.

LZH

Quote from: hobhog on May 15, 2017, 08:38:56 am
Great management style. Love you man, but you you may be fired in two years. But keep working hard and stay loyal to me okay buddy? Thanks. Now get to work!

Big time coaching is like politics....the understanding is if you're near the top of the food chain, those under you are expendable sooner or later. Lots of folks point fingers at BB for going thru so many coordinators, but ya gotta do what ya gotta do.

GuvHog

Quote from: The ColonelHog on May 14, 2017, 11:43:46 pm
I don't think the point is about BP EVER coming back.  The point is he made UA football relavent again.  A top 10 program in the COUNTRY!  Right now, today, BB can't get the program to top 10 in the SEC.

Exactly. It isn't about BP coming back because that won't ever happen nor do I want it to. In a short 4 year span, BP showed what this Hog football program can accomplish with the right head coach.

I like CBB and very much want him to have success here at Arkansas but after the last 2 years, I have my doubts as to whether he can turn the program around. Hopefully this will be the season when the turnaround begins.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

Peter Porker

Quote from: LZH on May 15, 2017, 07:11:00 am
True, many do just that. But even in his second year (and thanks to a couple of miracles in WMS - ULM and LSU - we were only a fumble in the UK game away from Shreveport in his first year) his team was as good or better than anything BB has done in four. And I totally agree with the I-want-my-Bobby-back crowd....he is a helluva coach. He could gameplan, could make adjustments on the fly, could get the most out of players, etc. (though I spent many Saturdays screaming at his defenses).

Anyone who pledges their loyalty to a coach over the program just baffles me. These guys that spew marshmallow excuses for BB's performance thus far are no different than those who still pine for BP even though he took a big crap on our fanbase, not to mention our entire athletic department.

It wasn't his defense that lost games. it was his offense that failed to show up in the big games. Plus, you can see in his recruiting he wasn't going to sustain the success of 21-5.
Quote from: Peter Porker on January 08, 2014, 04:03:21 pm
Notice he says your boy instead of "our coach". Very telling.

I'm not worried. If he recruits like he did here Louisville will fire him in about 5 years.

Peter Porker

Quote from: GuvHog on May 15, 2017, 08:58:39 am
Exactly. It isn't about BP coming back because that won't ever happen nor do I want it to. In a short 4 year span, BP showed what this Hog football program can accomplish with the right head coach.

I like CBB and very much want him to have success here at Arkansas but after the last 2 years, I have my doubts as to whether he can turn the program around. Hopefully this will be the season when the turnaround begins.

Not just the right head coach, but a favorable schedule and a down SEC. Also, it helps that the state produced NFL offensive talent during that time.

I'm not worried. If he recruits like he did here Louisville will fire him in about 5 years.

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

Quote from: Hogs-n-Roses on May 15, 2017, 08:52:21 am
This isn't about Petrino! Nobody wishes him back here! The Petrino finger that gets pointed at anyone who questions the success(or lack there of) by both the coach and AD is just a cover the people who support the current bunch,run with. Their failures stand on their own and are enormous. One day most of them will come on here and act like nothing really bad has happened and although they have doubts, its prolly time to move on. Never will take accountability for their defenses and damages this bunch has done to our University. Now attack me in some common, weak manner as usual with your same ole rhetoric. To use your responses "Yawn". But I won't call someone an idiot as a couple of you do on a regular basis. Your just someone with an opinion,nothing more or less and your certainly no more a Hog fan than any of us who doubt this experiment JL is conducting.
There are definitely a good number of bobbys goons still hanging around here and they make no attempt at hiding their loyalty
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

Razorbax

What offensive talent? A decent no. 4/5 receiver with the Vikings who caught 11 passes for 67 yards last year or what seems to be a career backup QB that played at Texas High? Maybe you are talking about a receiver that was converted to TE with a NFL career stat line of 24/251 and is currently not with a team. Pretty poor NFL offensive talent.
Quote from: Peter Porker on May 15, 2017, 09:16:11 am
Not just the right head coach, but a favorable schedule and a down SEC. Also, it helps that the state produced NFL offensive talent during that time.

EastexHawg

Quote from: moses_007 on May 13, 2017, 04:08:58 am
“Whatever the Hell voodoo hex that Bielema has over Arkansas fans is something I would love to bottle and sell to football coaches everywhere, because there’s no explanation for someone having a 10 – 22 record in SEC play in four seasons on the job having his ass kissed pretty much around the clock by Hog fans!”

There is an explanation if you realize how many shoved their entire stack of chips to the middle of the table in support of Long, and later Bielema, in opposition to those of us who said that we were basically self imposing the death penalty back in April of 2012.  It's now more than five years later, the results are there for everyone to see, and yet they are still holding on...and coming up with every excuse in the book in order to somehow prove that they were, are, and will be right. 

By the way, if the term "dumpster fire" was banned this website would have to shut down within 24 hours.

PorkRinds

Quote from: The ColonelHog on May 14, 2017, 11:30:17 pm
And anyone who think he isn't is living on a different planet.  NO MAJOR COLLEGE FOOTBALL PROGRAM in America is going to keep a coach that can't compete in the conference for which they were hired to compete in.  Que up Vandy, ND, Yale, Harvard, Stanford!  All of these programs have STERLING academics, no athletes in trouble with the law, and higher APR than UA, but if they don't compete as expected, better than .500, 7-6!!!!  They are going to get FIRED!

Really? Vandy is 13-23 under their current head coach and had a rape scandal where multiple athletes were arrested and tried.  So yeah, maybe rethink that statement.

Hogwild

Quote from: Farmer Hogget on May 15, 2017, 06:55:04 am
The point is, if the only good teams in the SEC West right now were Alabama and LSU, then BB would have a very different record, as well.  But the conference has become dominant.  At one point last season, I remember discussion on Bo's show that 50% of BB's games had been against ranked opponents.  Not just this year, but for his entire time at Arkansas.  BP never faced that level of competition when he coached the Razorbacks.  AND, when BP's teams had to face Alabama, they got blown out.  The Hogs looked inept against the Tide.  SO, the reason the Hogs were "relevant" is because they were playing an easy schedule.  They lost the tough games and won the easy ones.  Good for him!

The SEC West was much better in BP final two years than it has been in the last two years.

RazorWest

May 15, 2017, 10:10:45 am #116 Last Edit: May 15, 2017, 10:28:34 am by RazorWest
Quote from: Hogwild on May 15, 2017, 09:57:26 am
The SEC West was much better in BP final two years than it has been in the last two years.

Agreed, people keep saying how bad Bielema has it and points to how many ranked teams he's played.  Well how many were ranked at the end of the year?  I don't understand for the life of me why people have to downgrade the Hog's accomplishments in the past.  it's always Arkansas wasn't good, everyone else was bad.  That's crap.  Arkansas has been good and can be again, even with their "disadvantages"

Hogs-n-Roses

Quote from: Boss Hog in the Arkansas on May 15, 2017, 09:43:15 am
There are definitely a good number of bobbys goons still hanging around here and they make no attempt at hiding their loyalty
Can't speak for them but I've made it clear that, although I believe he's a great coach,After his firing, he was gone n never to come back.

Hawgar The Horrible

Two second half meltdowns to end the 2016 season. That's the only thing allowing the CBB detractors to flap their gums this off-season.

Get that fixed and its all good because the haters would be considered idiots for crying about a 9-4 record.
There are fans and there are supporters. The latter carries the weight.

FineAsSwine

Quote from: Hawgar The Horrible on May 15, 2017, 10:15:27 am
Two second half meltdowns to end the 2016 season. That's the only thing allowing the CBB detractors to flap their gums this off-season.
Get that fixed and its all good because the haters would be considered idiots for crying about a 9-4 record.

Yes because if that happens again this year, I think the hot seat talk would be justified for sure.
Hogs up! Covid down!

Hawgar The Horrible

Quote from: FineAsSwine on May 15, 2017, 10:19:53 am
Yes because if that happens again this year, I think the hot seat talk would be justified for sure.

Not doubting that, but CBB still has a couple of season left to shut some folks up. I believe he can do it and I am going to absolutely love seeing it.
There are fans and there are supporters. The latter carries the weight.

RazorWest

Quote from: Hawgar The Horrible on May 15, 2017, 10:28:18 am
Not doubting that, but CBB still has a couple of season left to shut some folks up. I believe he can do it and I am going to absolutely love seeing it.

Yes, winning will win us back.  That's ultimately all most fans want.  To win.

Peter Porker

Quote from: Surfing8 on May 15, 2017, 09:30:34 am

In 2011 vs alabama and lsu Booby's offense went 4 for 24 on scoring drives. all other drives ended in punts or turnovers. That's not spin. that's facts.

ricepig

Quote from: FineAsSwine on May 15, 2017, 10:19:53 am
No doubt, it happens again, he's coaching for his job in 2018.

Peter Porker

Quote from: Razorbax on May 15, 2017, 09:45:18 am
What offensive talent? A decent no. 4/5 receiver with the Vikings who caught 11 passes for 67 yards last year or what seems to be a career backup QB that played at Texas High? Maybe you are talking about a receiver that was converted to TE with a NFL career stat line of 24/251 and is currently not with a team. Pretty poor NFL offensive talent.

Ryan Mallett. Greg Childs, Joe Adams, DJ Williams, Chris Gragg, Jarius Wright, Tyler Wilson. Add to that the leftover OL that Nutt recruited and you have a salty offense.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Hogwild on May 15, 2017, 09:57:26 am

In most cases, the West Division has become stronger, not weaker. Auburn lost 6 more over 5 years than in 2007-2011 (1.20 more per season) and LSU lost 8 more (1.6 more per season), but everyone else improved in the period of 2012-2016.

2007-2011         2012-2016
ALA                55-12                64-7
AUB                44-21               38-27
LSU                53-14               45-18
OlM                27-35               39-25
MSU               33-30               40-25
A&M               33-31               44-21
Go Hogs Go!

HogHomer

Quote from: RazorWest on May 15, 2017, 10:10:45 am
Agreed, people keep saying how bad Bielema has it and points to how many ranked teams he's played.  Well how many were ranked at the end of the year?  I don't understand for the life of me why people have to downgrade the Hog's accomplishments in the past.  it's always Arkansas wasn't good, everyone else was bad.  That's crap.  Arkansas has been good and can be again, even with their "disadvantages"
Its more of how much better the SEC West as a whole is than it is that the SEC was bad during BPs years. Muskogee data helps prove it as well.

LZH

Quote from: Peter Porker on May 15, 2017, 11:03:27 am
In 2011 vs alabama and lsu Booby's offense went 4 for 24 on scoring drives. all other drives ended in punts or turnovers. That's not spin. that's facts.

And, they were both ranked #1 at the time iirc, and ended the season #1 & #2. Last year vs. Auburn and LSU we were worse than that (just three scoring drives and got torched for almost 100 points)....and neither team was even in the Top 20.

Just as relevant.....or more. BP is gone but good ol' Bret is still here.

Al Boarland

Quote from: ricepig on May 15, 2017, 11:04:08 am
No doubt, it happens again, he's coaching for his job in 2018.

I tend to agree with this.  Right now there is just a subset of fans that are not satisfied with the results thus far AND don't see CBB as the coach to get the program where they would like it to be.  You have another subset of fans that believe CBB is building something.  Based on where most think the Hogs will end up in the pecking order when the season ends the "building something" subset should shrink substantially while those that have seen enough will grow.  However, you have to take into consideration the admin and PTB.  That dynamic is an important one.  If CBB were able to somehow string together 8 wins the "building something" subset can still cling to their beliefs while the "seen enough" will still see the gaping hole between where the program is and where they want it to be.  The admin would most likely give him more time.

ricepig

Quote from: Al Boarland on May 15, 2017, 11:43:13 am
I tend to agree with this.  Right now there is just a subset of fans that are not satisfied with the results thus far AND don't see CBB as the coach to get the program where they would like it to be.  You have another subset of fans that believe CBB is building something.  Based on where most think the Hogs will end up in the pecking order when the season ends the "building something" subset should shrink substantially while those that have seen enough will grow.  However, you have to take into consideration the admin and PTB.  That dynamic is an important one.  If CBB were able to somehow string together 8 wins the "building something" subset can still cling to their beliefs while the "seen enough" will still see the gaping hole between where the program is and where they want it to be.  The admin would most likely give him more time.

He gets 2018, count on it.

Al Boarland

Quote from: ricepig on May 15, 2017, 11:44:28 am
He gets 2018, count on it.
Agree completely.  I would go so far as to say as long as he can hover around 8 W's he will be around as long as he wants to provided he keeps things clean with academics and off the field issues.

I don't think the power structure is setup in such a way the money guys greatly influence decisions and there is enough money coming in through other channels to keep it that way.

Peter Porker

Quote from: LZH on May 15, 2017, 11:39:57 am
And, they were both ranked #1 at the time iirc, and ended the season #1 & #2. Last year vs. Auburn and LSU we were worse than that (just three scoring drives and got torched for almost 100 points)....and neither team was even in the Top 20.

Just as relevant.....or more. BP is gone but good ol' Bret is still here.

The point is in the big games it was the offense that failed. keep up.

GuvHog

Quote from: Peter Porker on May 15, 2017, 09:14:53 am
It wasn't his defense that lost games. it was his offense that failed to show up in the big games. Plus, you can see in his recruiting he wasn't going to sustain the success of 21-5.

I agree that he wouldn't have maintained the success of 21-5 but he would have won at least 8 games every year with an occasional jump to 10 wins or more.

LZH

Quote from: Peter Porker on May 15, 2017, 11:57:43 am
The point is in the big games it was the offense that failed. keep up.

Well then ol' Bret's got him beat.....he's had collapses in all three phases of the game.

GuvHog

Quote from: Hawgar The Horrible on May 15, 2017, 10:15:27 am

It's more than just the last 2 games of last season.

At the end of the 2014 season, things were looking promising and it really looked like CBB had the program headed in the right direction but the last 2 years the program has stagnated and in some areas, has regressed. That is why a number of people are not happy.

I would have no complains at all if the Hogs finish 8-4 in regular season with a bowl win to make it 9-4. That would be CBB's best finish since his arrival at Arkansas.

Going 7-5 during regular season play this year will put CBB on a seriously hot seat for the 2018 season.

younghog

GO HOGS

Wildhog

Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

LZH

Peter Porker

Quote from: GuvHog on May 15, 2017, 12:00:03 pm
I agree that he wouldn't have maintained the success of 21-5 but he would have won at least 8 games every year with an occasional jump to 10 wins or more.

You believe 2012 with 2 walkons on the left side of the OL and a completely rebuilt receiving corp would have won 8 games? lol

so the 10 win seasons would have been the exception and the 8 win seasons would have been the norm? correct?

GuvHog

Quote from: Peter Porker on May 15, 2017, 12:29:25 pm
You believe 2012 with 2 walkons on the left side of the OL and a completely rebuilt receiving corp would have won 8 games? lol

so the 10 win seasons would have been the exception and the 8 win seasons would have been the norm? correct?

Yes, I do believe the Hogs would have won 8 games in 2012 with BP as HC and I'm not alone in believing that.

I seriously doubt any HC at Arkansas would be capable of consistently winning 10 games per season. 8 to 9 games should be the norm with a 10 or more win season or 2 mixed in every few years. 8 wins should be the floor and nothing below that should ever be acceptable unless a new HC is in his first year.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: GuvHog on May 15, 2017, 12:26:05 pm
It's more than just the last 2 games of last season.

At the end of the 2014 season, things were looking promising and it really looked like CBB had the program headed in the right direction but the last 2 years the program has stagnated and in some areas, has regressed. That is why a number of people are not happy.

I would have no complains at all if the Hogs finish 8-4 in regular season with a bowl win to make it 9-4. That would be CBB's best finish since his arrival at Arkansas.

Going 7-5 during regular season play this year will put CBB on a seriously hot seat for the 2018 season.

He let his DC stay one season too long and one of the areas in which I will offer some blame on Bielema, if the defense was that bad he should have stepped in or had Paul Rhoads step in and intervene. I think we are going to find that it wasn't a case of not having enough talent to execute in a better manner, it was just schemed poorly. Having allowed that to happen does fall directly at the feet of Bielema. On the bright side, at least he hired Rhoads and maybe that will make a difference this season.
Go Hogs Go!

Wildhog

Quote from: Peter Porker on May 15, 2017, 12:29:25 pm

I think it's pretty reasonable to say we would have beaten ULM, Rutgers, and Ole Miss with BP.  Maybe even LSU, given how close that game was with JLS.
1909/1964/1965/1977

GuvHog

Quote from: EastexHawg on May 15, 2017, 09:47:12 am
There is an explanation if you realize how many shoved their entire stack of chips to the middle of the table in support of Long, and later Bielema, in opposition to those of us who said that we were basically self imposing the death penalty back in April of 2012.  It's now more than five years later, the results are there for everyone to see, and yet they are still holding on...and coming up with every excuse in the book in order to somehow prove that they were, are, and will be right. 

By the way, if the term "dumpster fire" was banned this website would have to shut down within 24 hours.

Very well said. There are many that claim to support CBB who do so to protect Jeff Long. If CBB was to fail, they fear that his failure would cost Long his job too. I don't agree with that.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Wildhog on May 15, 2017, 12:41:43 pm
I think it's pretty reasonable to say we would have beaten ULM, Rutgers, and Ole Miss with BP.  Maybe even LSU, given how close that game was with JLS.

Well all he had to do was be honest, willing to submit to authority, be more contrite and he might still be at Arkansas, or he might not be anyway.
Go Hogs Go!

Wildhog

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on May 15, 2017, 12:44:31 pm
Well all he had to do was be honest, willing to submit to authority, be more contrite and he might still be at Arkansas, or he might not be anyway.

It is what it is.  I supported his firing.  I just don't feel the need to downplay his success.
1909/1964/1965/1977

GuvHog

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on May 15, 2017, 12:35:02 pm
He let his DC stay one season too long and one of the areas in which I will offer some blame on Bielema, if the defense was that bad he should have stepped in or had Paul Rhoads step in and intervene. I think we are going to find that it wasn't a case of not having enough talent to execute in a better manner, it was just schemed poorly. Having allowed that to happen does fall directly at the feet of Bielema. On the bright side, at least he hired Rhoads and maybe that will make a difference this season.

I certainly hope that this season, the Hogs have their best season since CBB's arrival. I would be pleased with that.

Peter Porker

Quote from: GuvHog on May 15, 2017, 12:32:33 pm
Yes, I do believe the Hogs would have won 8 games in 2012 with BP as HC and I'm not alone in believing that.

I seriously doubt any HC at Arkansas would be capable of consistently winning 10 games per season. 8 to 9 games should be the norm with a 10 or more win season or 2 mixed in every few years. 8 wins should be the floor and nothing below that should ever be acceptable unless a new HC is in his first year.

Look at the 2011 season and all of the close games and then look at all of the talent that left the 2011 team. there's no way that team wins 8. 2012 had walkons on the OL and freshmen at LB.

phadedhawg

Last season ended with a whimper.  It's not surprising the natives are restless. 

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Wildhog on May 15, 2017, 12:45:51 pm
It is what it is.  I supported his firing.  I just don't feel the need to downplay his success.

I don't downplay it, heck I enjoyed it just like everyone else. I also like the truth and the truth is that the SEC West was also an easier place to play when he was here, than it is now. Fewer teams were having higher levels of success. His recruiting seemed to be waning at the time of his departure, but there isn't anything to say that continued winning might have improved recruiting. None of us can say for certain.

But you know, there was a lot that I didn't like about BP as well and as is the case with most HC's, you don't find out about a lot of it until they are gone and the floodgate of information is leaked and whether fairly or unfairly, the truth comes out.
Go Hogs Go!

GuvHog

Quote from: Peter Porker on May 15, 2017, 12:47:25 pm
Look at the 2011 season and all of the close games and then look at all of the talent that left the 2011 team. there's no way that team wins 8. 2012 had walkons on the OL and freshmen at LB.

I respectfully disagree. Horrible coaching was 95% of the reason for the Horrible 2012 season. There was still some good talent on that team.