Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

CBB... #7 on Coaches Hot Seat

Started by moses_007, May 13, 2017, 04:08:58 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: bphi11ips on May 13, 2017, 08:31:42 am
Not quite as colorfully or as directly as that guy did. 

They have had him listed on the hot seat for two years................................That was my inference about having covered it. It's been posted on here before about them listing him as such.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

ricepig

Quote from: jkstock04 on May 13, 2017, 05:53:16 pm
Supposedly this is the deepest we have been since being in the SEC. Yet we would be ecstatic if we were to win 8 games this year. Something with that scenario doesn't add up. 
That we were woefully low, seems easy.

LR54

Quote from: LZH on May 13, 2017, 04:47:13 pm
I'm not dismissive of our recruiting issues, but even so, all we have read here is how much better our recruiting is now. That is, until we lose games we shouldn't. If I'm not mistaken, we have a load of 4* players on the lines and have not seen any real improvement.

Bottom line, though, is if BB & Co. hadn't given away a couple of games each year we'd be closer (on paper anyway) to where we'd like to be.

Like 3rd in the SEC-W, BP's best finish in 2011. Or maybe 4th in the SEC-W where he finished in 2010?

If only he hadn't blown those leads against Bama and Ohio St. Right?

Or if only the offensive genius could have game planned how to get closer than 24 points to the "SEC Big Boys" in 2011. Lord knows he wasn't gonna beat any ranked teams with a defensive shutout. 

But hey, with all those hi-profile QBs and WRs that were flockin' to play for "The Genius", it was just a matter of time wasn't it? We had plenty of slots open since we didn't need LBs or DBs.

I even had the common law wife of a dropout from Possum Grape tell me he was gonna give recruitin' a boost by droppin' by more than the 6 Arkansas high schools he did his first 4 years. NC here we come!

HamSammich

Lol only would an Arkansas coach be considered to suck by outsiders long before the fan base hit reason. Hilarious. It's always the other way around !

HiggiePiggy

Only way he will be on a hot seat is if he has a 5 or less win season this year.  He will start out on a real hot seat.  6 wins or more and he is safe for a couple more years.
If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

LR54

Quote from: HamSammich on May 13, 2017, 07:30:30 pm
Lol only would an Arkansas coach be considered to suck by outsiders long before the fan base hit reason. Hilarious. It's always the other way around !

Or maybe it's only in Arkansas that some fans are so gullible they believe outsiders that JMSU.

LR54

Quote from: HognitiveDissonance on May 13, 2017, 05:01:00 pm
This.
I'm not saying anything I haven't said a dozen times before.
But yes, you have to be exceptional to win big here.
BP was an exceptional offensive mind. That leveled the playing field against the SEC big boys quite a bit.
People overrate the talent on those 2010-11 teams. They had some good players, no doubt, but seriously...much better than Alex Collins, Hunter Henry, Kirkland, etc?. 2010-11 was good talent, but it was mostly Petrino's brain that went 21-5 those two years. He's done that everywhere he's been. He's never coached at a premier school. And now he's at Louisville where he's turned a 3-star recruit Lamar Jackson into a Heisman winner. 3-star recruit. Do more with less.
Even that wasn't enough to keep up with all the athletes LSU and Alabama typically has, but that's just something we have to live with as Arkansas fans. That problem is older than most of us, and it ain't changing anytime soon.
Bielema is a good coach and represents the program well. He's just not exceptional at anything.

Do more with less? AYSM? You take that Heisman winning QB and a #3 ranked team and lose to an unranked non-P5 team by scoring 10 pts.

Then you take that same QB and a now #11 ranked team and lose to Kentucky. KENTUCKY!

Then you lose a bowl game to LSU with a then interim HC while scoring a whopping 9 pts.

CBB may not be exceptional at anything, but he's done a few things BP hasn't.

A win over a #1 ranked team.

3 consecutive P-5 championships.

Coached a NFL Rookie of the year, Super Bowl winning QB, AND a NFL Defensive Player of the year.

There may be a few more, but that's a good start.

LRrazorback

Quote from: LR54 on May 13, 2017, 07:03:10 pm
Like 3rd in the SEC-W, BP's best finish in 2011. Or maybe 4th in the SEC-W where he finished in 2010?

Or if only the offensive genius could have game planned how to get closer than 24 points to the "SEC Big Boys" in 2011. Lord knows he wasn't gonna beat any ranked teams with a defensive shutout. 

But hey, with all those hi-profile QBs and WRs that were flockin' to play for "The Genius", it was just a matter of time wasn't it? We had plenty of slots open since we didn't need LBs or DBs.

I even had the common law wife of a dropout from Possum Grape tell me he was gonna give recruitin' a boost by droppin' by more than the 6 Arkansas high schools he did his first 4 years. NC here we come!

Or the #5 finish

eric_mullins34

Blowing leads to Alabama and Ohio State is a heckuva lot better than blowing leads to MISSOURI and Virginia Tech...
Calling the Hogs from NEA!

bphi11ips

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on May 13, 2017, 06:41:26 pm
They have had him listed on the hot seat for two years................................That was my inference about having covered it. It's been posted on here before about them listing him as such.

Sorry. Didn't realize the article was 2 years old.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

rogers-hog

It's also mostly overlooked that CBP played 3 cross division games. The largest number coming against USCe, Vandy, UK and TN during a historic downturn in the eastern division that lead the last 3 to fire coaches sometime during his 4 year period.

BloodRedHog

And so it begins...the drumbeat...
Handling all your mortgage and home financing needs...

BigE_23

Every single thing in that article is spot on. Anyone that would try to pretend that CBB doesn't deserve to be on the hot seat has their head in the sand, or severely stuck up something else. You simply can't argue with the facts, but I guess if you choose to ignore them you don't have anything to argue with.

And just how big of an idiot is Jeff Long????? $15.4 million buyout...I can't even begin to understand how much stupidity it requires to make that deal.

HogBreath

Quote from: hoglady on May 13, 2017, 07:57:12 am

I was glad to see the blog mention the absolutely ridiculous buyout, though.
We're long on integrity.
I said...LSU has often been an overrated team.

That ignoramus Draconian Sanctions said..if we're overrated, why are we ranked higher than you are?

LRRandy

Arkansas never lead tOhio State. It was tied 7-7, then tOhio State went up 18 at the half.
This is fun, isn't it.

hobhog

Quote from: jkstock04 on May 13, 2017, 04:19:55 pm
Bielema isn't on any hot seat. Those who think different either haven't been paying attention or know little about our athletic department.

And haven't financially supported Hogs by attendance or meaningful donation. But can post with best of them. Meanwhile.....

hobhog

Quote from: moses_007 on May 13, 2017, 04:08:58 am
Yes, the Boss Hog is #7 on the Coaches Hot Seat.

http://coacheshotseat.com/chsblog/archives/2960

A good Arkansas-alum friend of ours who lives in Ft. Smith, Arkansas and was with his wife in San Francisco recently on a business trip told us at dinner one night the following about Arkansas head coach Bret Bielema:

"Whatever the Hell voodoo hex that Bielema has over Arkansas fans is something I would love to bottle and sell to football coaches everywhere, because there's no explanation for someone having a 10 – 22 record in SEC play in four seasons on the job having his ass kissed pretty much around the clock by Hog fans!"

I know a big booster and met his wife in Nantucket. You wouldn't believe the things she said, but she thinks coach B is awesome and is here forever...

Farmer Hogget

No coach in the history of the University of Arkansas has had to deal with a schedule as tough as the ones BB has had to face.  That is a FACT.  Bobby Petrino did not face the gauntlet that BB has had to face every year.  The only people who have a problem with BB are in love with Bobby Petrino.  Same story, different verse with this thread.  They want to throw out Jeff Long because he fired BP and throw out BB because he isn't BP.  Here's a news flash for all of you. Some blogger from San Fran does not determine if BB is on the hot seat. . .JL does.  And BB is NOT on the hot seat.  Get over it folks!  Complain all you want but it will accomplish nothing.  Ha-ha!

moses_007

I'd bet there are a handful of coaches who could have taken last year's Arkansas team, loaded with offensive talent, and won the SEC.  Bielema couldn't even beat Missouri.  I felt when he was hired that Jeff Long hired the wrong coach, and still do.  That "uncommon" crap and other BS that the U of A Sports Department spews out doesn't win football games.

LZH

Quote from: Farmer Hogget on May 14, 2017, 12:10:00 amThe only people who have a problem with BB are in love with Bobby Petrino.  Same story, different verse with this thread.  They want to throw out Jeff Long because he fired BP and throw out BB because he isn't BP.

1000% incorrect, but feel free to jump in with more overcooked bull**** anytime.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: moses_007 on May 14, 2017, 12:34:06 am
I'd bet there are a handful of coaches who could have taken last year's Arkansas team, loaded with offensive talent, and won the SEC. Bielema couldn't even beat Missouri.  I felt when he was hired that Jeff Long hired the wrong coach, and still do.  That "uncommon" crap and other BS that the U of A Sports Department spews out doesn't win football games.

This, is delusional.
Go Hogs Go!

The_Iceman

Including Bielemas first season in his SEC record is just an agenda driven move. No way should that 0-8 be held against him. Petrino didn't recruit the prior 3 seasons, and JLS had no player development or discipline.

So in years 2 thru 4:

2-6
5-3
3-5
= 10-14

In the SEC West, the toughest division in football. When Nutt was here, he averaged facing 3 ranked teams a year. Bielema faces on average 6 ranked teams a year in conference. This is not Nutt's SEC.

GuvHog

In 2010, Arkansas finished the regular season 10-2 with losses only to Alabama and Auburn. The Hogs went on to lose in the Sugar Bowl to Ohio State (their win was vacated) and finished #12 in the nation. Arkansas did not finish #4 in the SEC West that year.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

The OTR

HOT SEAT!  Now we're talking.  CBB is just fine. He ain't going nowhere so you boys who like posting this stuff are full of hot air. 

He could be number 3 or 4 on the hot seat list by the end of the season but he's gonna be fine.  I like him and that's what matters. 

LZH

Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on May 14, 2017, 08:07:33 amI like him and that's what matters. 

Well I guess that settles it....

jbigs77

Quote from: LR54 on May 13, 2017, 11:41:26 am
Ah, the stupidity of overall records with no context.

2 years following dumpster fire - 2-14.

Last 2 years - 8-8. Tied for 3rd in SECW, ahead of Auburn and MS St.
I think the fact that we play in the SEC west should be taken into consideration. The SEC west is basically the minor league for the NFL. We have had some great victories and heart breakers, but fun to watch. Hopefully, at some point the pieces fall our way.

LR54

Quote from: GuvHog on May 14, 2017, 08:00:45 am
In 2010, Arkansas finished the regular season 10-2 with losses only to Alabama and Auburn. The Hogs went on to lose in the Sugar Bowl to Ohio State (their win was vacated) and finished #12 in the nation. Arkansas did not finish #4 in the SEC West that year.

2010 Final Standings.

1. Auburn
8. LSU
10. Alabama
12. Arkansas

That seems to be about 4th in the West.

Look, almost everyone enjoyed BP's 2 good seasons. But let's not make more of it than it was.

There were no wins over the top 2 teams in the West. No SEC-W championships. No wins over a #1 ranked team. No wins over an SEC-E champion.

I'm just not seeing any groundbreaking accomplishments that would justify all this BP belt buckle polishing. Other than being the first HC not named Nutt that we had in 10 years.   

LR54

Quote from: LRRandy on May 13, 2017, 11:37:09 pm
Arkansas never lead tOhio State. It was tied 7-7, then tOhio State went up 18 at the half.

Whatever. It was a game an offensive genius should have won.

And why was Ohio St. even playing in the Sugar Bowl instead of the Rose Bowl?  Some guy named Bielema beat that #1 ranked tail didn't he?

BigE_23

It's amazing to me how these conversations inevitably shift from being about CBB to a discussion about BP's tenure.

This isn't about Bobby Petrino. It's about Bret Beilema and his 4 mediocre, underachieving 25-26, 10-22 years. Stop deflecting this into a conversation about a coach who isn't here and isn't coming back.

This is about Bret, and Jeff Long, and a fanbase that has embraced mediocrity (again).

Iwastherein1969

Quote from: LR54 on May 13, 2017, 11:41:26 am
Ah, the stupidity of overall records with no context.

2 years following dumpster fire - 2-14.

Last 2 years - 8-8. Tied for 3rd in SECW, ahead of Auburn and MS St.
so we're tied for THIRD !!       

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KX5jNnDMfxA
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

Hogwild

Quote from: LR54 on May 14, 2017, 09:33:14 am
2010 Final Standings.

1. Auburn
8. LSU
10. Alabama
12. Arkansas

Look, almost everyone enjoyed BP's 2 good seasons. But let's not make more of it than it was.

There were no wins over the top 2 teams in the West. No SEC-W championships. No wins over a #1 ranked team. No wins over an SEC-E champion.

False- As you posted LSU finished 2nd in the rankings, we beat them.   We also beat the SECe champion

Mississippi State finished ranked 15th that year,  that makes 5 of the top 15 teams in the nation were in the SEC West in 2010. A&M who wasn't in the SEC but on our schedule finished #19.

Yet some people still try and say the SEC West was better last year than in 2010.

eric_mullins34

Quote from: LR54 on May 14, 2017, 09:33:14 am
2010 Final Standings.

1. Auburn
8. LSU
10. Alabama
12. Arkansas

I'm just not seeing any groundbreaking accomplishments that would justify all this BP belt buckle polishing. Other than being the first HC not named Nutt that we had in 10 years.   

Let's not make more of it than what it was!? Are you kidding me? In 2011 we were ranked #3 in the country and a single win away from playing for a national championship. We finished the year ranked at #5. I guess you think that's just chopped liver, huh?
Calling the Hogs from NEA!

Richard_white

Who needs a rival when our own fans eat our own.

LRrazorback

Quote from: The_Iceman on May 14, 2017, 07:27:15 am
Including Bielemas first season in his SEC record is just an agenda driven move. No way should that 0-8 be held against him. Petrino didn't recruit the prior 3 seasons, and JLS had no player development or discipline.

So in years 2 thru 4:

2-6
5-3
3-5
= 10-14

In the SEC West, the toughest division in football. When Nutt was here, he averaged facing 3 ranked teams a year. Bielema faces on average 6 ranked teams a year in conference. This is not Nutt's SEC.

Wrong, look at the draft picks CBP had from the nutt staff and look at the draft picks CBB had from Petrinos staff. Not even close. CBB was left with far more talent

LZH

Quote from: LRrazorback on May 14, 2017, 12:05:08 pm
Wrong, look at the draft picks CBP had from the nutt staff and look at the draft picks CBB had from Petrinos staff. Not even close. CBB was left with far more talent

You just extended this thread by three pages.....

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: LRrazorback on May 14, 2017, 12:05:08 pm

Refer to this:

http://www.drafthistory.com/index.php/colleges/a
Go Hogs Go!

Steef

wildhogman

I see people still talking about ol Bobby. So just a little perspective. Did we beat the eventual east champs in dominating fashion? Yep.
How did bobby do with the east last year? Oh he LOST to those darned Wildcats of UK. But then we all know what a power house team they always been lol. And Bobby's QB was prolly worrying that day about what pose to use for the pictures when he wins the hiesman. 
Yep, award winning QB and 0-fer against the SEC last year providing once more, you MUST have DEFENSE in this league.
Heck Nut was no offensive genius. Infact his offense was plain offensive to the eye. So how did he win so much during his time here? It sure wasn't complicated passing schemes.  Could it be he always fielded an attacking aggressive defense? 
THIS is what BB needs. A 'D' that attacks is aggressive and not playing scared. And an Oline that is looking to tear someones head off with a vicous upper cut 'block'.  We need to start playing like razorbacks.  Else go hire the next Offensive genius and keep turning the game into pick up basketball. Though I do get bored watching those scoring fest waiting to see an actual bone jarring tackle. 

hogcard1964

Quote from: hoglady on May 13, 2017, 07:57:12 am
SEC West has 3 coaches in the Top 7.

Got to admit Coach B's numbers do look bad - but hopefully those start turning around this year.
I was glad to see the blog mention the absolutely ridiculous buyout, though.

That's from the site.

Farmer Hogget

Quote from: LZH on May 14, 2017, 07:05:02 am
1000% incorrect, but feel free to jump in with more overcooked bull**** anytime.

And this is the perfect example of what I was talking about.  I love these good ole BP lovers!  It's sooo easy to push their buttons!  LOL.  BTW, no matter if BB is fired today, tomorrow or whenever, BP is never coming back.  You fellas need to learn to get passed this thing.  LOL.

HamSammich

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on May 14, 2017, 07:05:57 am
This, is delusional.

Not really .... ruling out possibilities to fit your mandate is dilusional. Yeah I know, this post will get deleted too.

jkstock04

Quote from: BigE_23 on May 14, 2017, 10:59:59 am
It's amazing to me how these conversations inevitably shift from being about CBB to a discussion about BP's tenure.

This isn't about Bobby Petrino. It's about Bret Beilema and his 4 mediocre, underachieving 25-26, 10-22 years. Stop deflecting this into a conversation about a coach who isn't here and isn't coming back.

This is about Bret, and Jeff Long, and a fanbase that has embraced mediocrity (again).
It never ceases to amaze me the heights and reaches this board will go to defend and spin the past 5 years as being anything but bad. We have a coach who has gone 10-22 in conference play the past 4 years but they will try and convince you things are a million times better now than they were in 2010. Its unbelievable. They don't want to count that first season...lol but guaran-dam-tee you they would count Petrinos 1st year or any other coach in college football and pass judgment.

Here's a prediction...South Florida is loaded with talent...poised to have a great year. When they do, the homers on the board will come out with "boy Texas really screwed up by firing Charlie Strong, look what he is able to do at South Florida in year 1!!! Wow!!!"

They trash the Petrino years to make themselves feel better about the current situation...plain and simple. There is no logic in it. At some point (MAYBE this year) they won't have Petrino to blame for the losses anymore.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

LZH

Quote from: Farmer Hogget on May 14, 2017, 10:29:53 pm
And this is the perfect example of what I was talking about.  I love these good ole BP lovers!  It's sooo easy to push their buttons!  LOL.  BTW, no matter if BB is fired today, tomorrow or whenever, BP is never coming back.  You fellas need to learn to get passed this thing.  LOL.

Don't throw so many of us in the BP lover's camp. He's a selfish **** with a Napoleon complex who thought he was bigger than the program. Anyone who pulls a stunt like he did, then tells his AD boss "you're trying to turn me into a monk" when offered the chance to stay, needs his ass whipped (again). Looks like you're new so I guess you don't know any better.

But, that doesn't mean he isn't the best X and O coach we've ever had here. If that threatens some of you who would rather defend BB for being under .500 in four years then maybe you need to pick a new hero.

Peter Porker

Quote from: LZH on May 13, 2017, 11:47:06 am
Ah, the two year pass......

When folks talk about Booby they only bring up the last 2 years.
Quote from: Peter Porker on January 08, 2014, 04:03:21 pm
Notice he says your boy instead of "our coach". Very telling.

I'm not worried. If he recruits like he did here Louisville will fire him in about 5 years.

Farmer Hogget

Quote from: The ColonelHog on May 14, 2017, 11:43:46 pm
I don't think the point is about BP EVER coming back.  The point is he made UA football relavent again.  A top 10 program in the COUNTRY!  Right now, today, BB can't get the program to top 10 in the SEC.

The point is, if the only good teams in the SEC West right now were Alabama and LSU, then BB would have a very different record, as well.  But the conference has become dominant.  At one point last season, I remember discussion on Bo's show that 50% of BB's games had been against ranked opponents.  Not just this year, but for his entire time at Arkansas.  BP never faced that level of competition when he coached the Razorbacks.  AND, when BP's teams had to face Alabama, they got blown out.  The Hogs looked inept against the Tide.  SO, the reason the Hogs were "relevant" is because they were playing an easy schedule.  They lost the tough games and won the easy ones.  Good for him!

LZH

Quote from: Peter Porker on May 15, 2017, 06:26:13 am
When folks talk about Booby they only bring up the last 2 years.

True, many do just that. But even in his second year (and thanks to a couple of miracles in WMS - ULM and LSU - we were only a fumble in the UK game away from Shreveport in his first year) his team was as good or better than anything BB has done in four. And I totally agree with the I-want-my-Bobby-back crowd....he is a helluva coach. He could gameplan, could make adjustments on the fly, could get the most out of players, etc. (though I spent many Saturdays screaming at his defenses).

Anyone who pledges their loyalty to a coach over the program just baffles me. These guys that spew marshmallow excuses for BB's performance thus far are no different than those who still pine for BP even though he took a big crap on our fanbase, not to mention our entire athletic department.

wildhogman

Quote from: LZH on May 15, 2017, 04:20:28 am
Don't throw so many of us in the BP lover's camp. He's a selfish **** with a Napoleon complex who thought he was bigger than the program. Anyone who pulls a stunt like he did, then tells his AD boss "you're trying to turn me into a monk" when offered the chance to stay, needs his ass whipped (again). Looks like you're new so I guess you don't know any better.

But, that doesn't mean he isn't the best X and O coach we've ever had here. If that threatens some of you who would rather defend BB for being under .500 in four years then maybe you need to pick a new hero.
Doesn't threaten me. He is an offensive genius. Problem is, his defenses are offensive as well.  And he did last year what many complain about BB, lost 3 in a row to end the year. Could not win a game against an SEC opponent including UK. Let that sink in.

ricepig

LZH

Quote from: wildhogman on May 15, 2017, 07:12:14 am
Doesn't threaten me. He is an offensive genius. Problem is, his defenses are offensive as well.  And he did last year what many complain about BB, lost 3 in a row to end the year. Could not win a game against an SEC opponent including UK. Let that sink in.

When did he lose three in a row to end the year?

Quote from: ricepig on May 15, 2017, 07:13:11 am
When pillow talks........

Yeah, his Warholian 15 minutes made him an expert.

ricepig

Quote from: LZH on May 15, 2017, 07:18:10 am
When did he lose three in a row to end the year?

He's talking about last year's UL team which dropped their last three games.