Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

WMS renovations

Started by factchecker, May 11, 2017, 07:43:10 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Razorback7281

Quote from: ricepig on May 17, 2017, 01:03:50 pm
Dude, I don't care where he last played, you seem to be skipping over the part of wanting a venue that seats 25,000+, name me one outside of WMS.
Razorback Stadium.  ;)
Quote from: mckinneyhog5 on September 16, 2015, 08:55:43 pmgurantee I'm smarter then you..but that's not saying much.
Quote from: talley on September 17, 2015, 09:53:38 am
you misspelled "Guarantee" while trying to talk about how smart you are.  Epic Fail.
Quote from: Lanny on October 16, 2015, 07:37:58 am
Good job everyone except Faldon.

ricepig

Quote from: Razorback7281 on May 17, 2017, 01:17:12 pm
Razorback Stadium.  ;)
How many concerts have been held there?

code red

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on May 12, 2017, 06:37:30 am
Only $1.1 million. They must want to replace the extension cord they use to plug it in, the old incandescent light bulbs it uses and a couple of fuses...............................
My thoughts exactly...drop in the bucket.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

Razorback7281

Quote from: ricepig on May 17, 2017, 01:24:11 pm
How many concerts have been held there?
Buffet played it in 05 for Wal Mart. 
Quote from: mckinneyhog5 on September 16, 2015, 08:55:43 pmgurantee I'm smarter then you..but that's not saying much.
you misspelled "Guarantee" while trying to talk about how smart you are.  Epic Fail.

ricepig

Quote from: Razorback7281 on May 17, 2017, 01:51:34 pm
Buffet played it in 05 for Wal Mart. 

Really, at RRS, I didn't know that.

smb

Quote from: HamSammich on May 12, 2017, 07:06:05 pm
War memorial is a symbol of the decline of Little Rock....
Agreed!

Some multi millionaire will get in cahoots with investors and will build a new stadium outside of Little Rock and it will be a mini jerrys world. Book it.

So I don't worry about all of your war memorial debate garbage here. Could care less
GeorgiaHOG

PorkRinds

Quote from: ricepig on May 17, 2017, 01:03:50 pm
Dude, I don't care where he last played, you seem to be skipping over the part of wanting a venue that seats 25,000+, name me one outside of WMS.

The last large concert in Arkansas with that many was Wakarusa, held at Mulberry Mountain.  I think the average was about 20,000+.  And again I'm just addressing reality.  WMS hasn't had a huge concerts in decades.  To consider it a concert venue nowadays is a astrtch.

Razorback7281

hoglady

Quote from: bphi11ips on May 13, 2017, 09:24:34 am
^^^^^^

Was thinking about the reasons for this recently.  Poor public education has no doubt plagued Little Rock and put it at a disadvantage when competing for industry.  Why can't Little Rock fix it?  After living in Nashville, Tennessee for 25 years, where strong mayors have led the way for explosive growth, I've concluded that Little Rock's city manager form of government has been a huge factor in the city's decline.  Yes, Little Rock has a "mayor", but veto power does not give a mayor the opportunity to implement a vision and act in what he or she believes to be in the city's best interest. 

I grew up in Little Rock and saw first hand the parochial approach of the city council.  I have watched as families have moved futher and further west and north rather than face the core issues head on.  The result has been that population growth went from double digits in the 70's and 80's to a virtual standstill since.

Little Rock was a great place to grow up.   Part of what made it great was Razorbacks football.  Maybe losing it will cause the city to look in the mirror.

And that was never more apparent than when NLR with Patrick Henry Hays as mayor landed Alltel Arena, Dickey/Stephens Ballpark and initially the Bass Pro Shop, all while Little Rock was twiddling their thumbs in futility. (environmental issues with the wetlands eventually derailed that and Bass Pro defaulted to Otter Creek).

With Stodola as mayor and Bruce Moore as manager - it's just more of the same. They have no answers or even worthy ideas for dealing with the huge spike in murders and violent crimes. (Stodola talks about improving education, transportation and mentor ship - all great ideas, but generational ideas). The citizens are looking for some immediate ideas to address the crime problem - they've got nothing, absolutely nothing. And the police chief has got nothing, either.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: PorkRinds on May 17, 2017, 02:16:57 pm
The last large concert in Arkansas with that many was Wakarusa, held at Mulberry Mountain.  I think the average was about 20,000+.  And again I'm just addressing reality.  WMS hasn't had a huge concerts in decades.  To consider it a concert venue nowadays is a astrtch.

Wakarusa was a festival with many bands over a few days and not just one for one night only. Besides they didn't have it last year and it doesn't look like they will again. The promotion company was in trouble, not Mulberry Mountain itself. Heck Wakarusa didn't even begin in Arkansas.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Hawg414

Quote from: PorkRinds on May 17, 2017, 12:54:25 pm
Lol. I'll give you a quick guess where Garth played last time he was in Arkansas.

and you get a quick guess where the Stones played the last time they were in LR

factchecker

Quote from: Hawg414 on May 17, 2017, 04:13:02 pm

Rolling Stones played in what was then Alltel Arena in 2006.  I'm not sure the last time they played at WMS. 1994?
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Some people really are tools. This place made the Razorbacks what they are today. Take your games, your insults and move on. Leave the people of Central Arkansas to do what they feel is necessary to attract other games, or different activities to the venue. The put downs and Eff You's are tell tale as to who you are. A bunch of separate little pieces of shirt...
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

Hawg414

Quote from: OneTuskOverTheLine™ on May 17, 2017, 04:39:39 pm
Some people really are tools. This place made the Razorbacks what they are today. Take your games, your insults and move on. Leave the people of Central Arkansas to do what they feel is necessary to attract other games, or different activities to the venue. The put downs and Eff You's are tell tale as to who you are. A bunch of separate little pieces of shirt...

your thoughts are shared by many.
and the worst part is that most of the whining coming from NWA is from the 20something and 30something crowds... too young to have a clue what a positive, historical effect WMS has had on "their" razorbacks.

i sure dont remember anyone referring to razorback stadium as a "dump" when it didnt even have lights... relatively recently in the grand scheme of things. 

factchecker

Quote from: OneTuskOverTheLine™ on May 17, 2017, 04:39:39 pm
Leave the people of Central Arkansas to do what they feel is necessary to attract other games, or different activities to the venue.

Are only central Arkansans paying taxes to fund the renovations?

Quote from: Hawg414 on May 17, 2017, 04:48:31 pm
your thoughts are shared by many.
and the worst part is that most of the whining coming from NWA is from the 20something and 30something crowds... too young to have a clue what a positive, historical effect WMS has had on "their" razorbacks.

i sure dont remember anyone referring to razorback stadium as a "dump" when it didnt even have lights... relatively recently in the grand scheme of things. 

I heard twice as many people bitching about Razorback Stadium renovations.  The major difference is that the renovations on campus are self funded (RF donations, ticket purchases, and SEC $) and don't rely on tax money.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: factchecker on May 17, 2017, 04:53:42 pm
Are only central Arkansans paying taxes to fund the renovations?

I heard twice as many people bitching about Razorback Stadium renovations.  The major difference is that the renovations on campus are self funded (RF donations, ticket purchases, and SEC $) and don't rely on tax money.

Who gives a damn... You're not complaining about the money going other places. It's like you've left your wife and are pissed off because she wants to date someone else. Move on... I hope Arkansas State starts playing 3 a year there.
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

ricepig

Quote from: OneTuskOverTheLine™ on May 17, 2017, 04:57:28 pm
Who gives a damn... You're not complaining about the money going other places. It's like you've left your wife and are pissed off because she wants to date someone else. Move on... I hope Arkansas State starts playing 3 a year there.

Arkansas State has their own stadium renovations to pay for, they'll be playing in Jonesboro.

factchecker

Quote from: OneTuskOverTheLine™ on May 17, 2017, 04:57:28 pm

I pay taxes so I give a damn.  I rather see the money go to schools in central Arkansas.

In regards to state.  They don't want to play in WMS either:

Quote"I am trying to change our mindset at Arkansas State," Mohajir said. "Arkansas State fans think we can only play premiere teams in Little Rock. That is all we do. That is not what we are going to do anymore. We will play the premiere teams in Jonesboro, and the teams we have the best chance to beat in Little Rock because they are an away game for us too. Yes they are in our home state, but they are a different locker room, and the kids sleep in a motel. So it is an away game, so you want to play the teams that you feel you have the best chance to beat."

http://www.sportinglifearkansas.com/in-depth-look-at-arkansas-state-red-wolves-scheduling-with-ad-terry-mohajir/
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

hoglady

That Stones concert at WMS was special for me.
We had 3 generations of family there loving every minute of it.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: factchecker on May 17, 2017, 05:03:30 pm
I pay taxes so I give a damn.  I rather see the money go to schools in central Arkansas.

In regards to state.  They don't want to play in WMS either:

http://www.sportinglifearkansas.com/in-depth-look-at-arkansas-state-red-wolves-scheduling-with-ad-terry-mohajir/

Now you're just trying to get in the last word. I don't pay taxes there and I LOVE that you're pissed about it. I hope LSU comes in to play 1 a year now...

factchecker

Quote from: OneTuskOverTheLine™ on May 17, 2017, 05:08:50 pm
I don't pay taxes there

That doesn't help your position at all.  If you don't pay taxes then you really don't have a say in the argument.

and I LOVE that you're pissed about it.

So you don't want schools in central Arkansas to get better.

I hope LSU comes in to play 1 a year now...

What?
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

PorkRinds

I don't think you're going to like the answer...

PorkRinds

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on May 17, 2017, 04:01:23 pm
Wakarusa was a festival with many bands over a few days and not just one for one night only. Besides they didn't have it last year and it doesn't look like they will again. The promotion company was in trouble, not Mulberry Mountain itself. Heck Wakarusa didn't even begin in Arkansas.

I know all this. I was just answering his question.

phadedhawg

Quote from: hoglady on May 17, 2017, 05:04:25 pm
That Stones concert at WMS was special for me.
We had 3 generations of family there loving every minute of it.

That was my first rock concert...think I was a sophomore in high school.  My parents took me and a friend.  It was a great evening!

factchecker

that you're pissed about it.

The funny thing is that I'm not pissed at all.  I said earlier in the thread that the only thing I disliked was that this was ultimately a wasteful use of tax money.

Quote from: factchecker on May 13, 2017, 08:37:28 am
Personally, I'm happy that WMS is renovating.  The fact that tax money is being used doesn't really bother me although it is wasteful.  I am happy that the WMS board is striving for self sufficiency.  In the end, I want my Hogs to play in the best venues and this is a step in the right direction.

Like I said, I'm happy that WMS is working towards being self sufficient.  I just find it silly for some jackwagon to cry and want everyone to leave central Arkansans alone considering the whole damn state is paying for the renovations.  If a tax payer wants to complain then they can.

Regardless, come August 31st I'll be in WMS with about 10 members of my family and friends.  It will be interesting to see when and how long it takes for these renovations to happen:

https://twitter.com/MikeWickline/status/863054224258682880

WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

hobhog

Quote from: hoglady on May 17, 2017, 03:30:08 pm
And that was never more apparent than when NLR with Patrick Henry Hays as mayor landed Alltel Arena, Dickey/Stephens Ballpark and initially the Bass Pro Shop, all while Little Rock was twiddling their thumbs in futility. (environmental issues with the wetlands eventually derailed that and Bass Pro defaulted to Otter Creek).

With Stodola as mayor and Bruce Moore as manager - it's just more of the same. They have no answers or even worthy ideas for dealing with the huge spike in murders and violent crimes. (Stodola talks about improving education, transportation and mentor ship - all great ideas, but generational ideas). The citizens are looking for some immediate ideas to address the crime problem - they've got nothing, absolutely nothing. And the police chief has got nothing, either.

Not saying you are wrong, but what are YOUR solutions to senseless violence from people who value life about as much as ISIS? Their own relatives and neighbors won't rat them out, so other than martial law south of 630 I see no answer.

LZH

Now you're just trying to get in the last word. I don't pay taxes there and I LOVE that you're pissed about it. I hope LSU comes in to play 1 a year now...

I had a buddy ask me about that a year or so ago. What if LSU agreed to a home-and-home with ASU as long as the ASU home game was played at WMS. They are making inroads in South Arkansas anyway, it would be a logical step. At the time I said I doubt LSU would need a game in Little Rock to steal any recruits because there aren't that many recruits coming out of Little Rock these days anyway. But it's not impossible I guess. LSU or Ole Miss, if they wanted to, could do just that if they thought it was worth it. That is, if ASU agreed to play in LR and not Jonesboro.

PorkRinds

Quote from: LZH on May 17, 2017, 06:06:40 pm
I had a buddy ask me about that a year or so ago. What if LSU agreed to a home-and-home with ASU as long as the ASU home game was played at WMS. They are making inroads in South Arkansas anyway, it would be a logical step. At the time I said I doubt LSU would need a game in Little Rock to steal any recruits because there aren't that many recruits coming out of Little Rock these days anyway. But it's not impossible I guess. LSU or Ole Miss, if they wanted to, could do just that if they thought it was worth it. That is, if ASU agreed to play in LR and not Jonesboro.

Neither of those schools care much about recruiting in Arkansas. I doubt they work their schedule around that concept. Believe it or not Ive been wrong before though.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: factchecker on May 17, 2017, 05:12:58 pm
That doesn't help your position at all.  If you don't pay taxes then you really don't have a say in the argument.

So you don't want schools in central Arkansas to get better.

What?

I live in Mississippi dude, I am a taxpayer... I just don't live in, or own property in Central Arkansas anymore. I do, however, believe the bitching about WMS upgrades is a knee jerk childish reaction by people scared to death that Little Rock may either keep 1 game a year, or become vindictive to the UAF in retaliation to loosing the Razorback game they now enjoy. I also believe that real reason for that fear is because they themselves are a-holes and would act that way if it were happening to them.Which is a pretty usual liberal reaction and why they are so loud.

MikesPigsty

Quote from: gchamblee on May 12, 2017, 11:47:14 am
Will be like installing a high end stereo in a pinto
[/quote

Ha! Careful now. I had a Pinto back in the 70s. Had a damn good sound system in it. 🔊🕪

factchecker

Quote from: OneTuskOverTheLine™ on May 18, 2017, 12:20:38 pm
I live in Mississippi dude, I am a taxpayer... I just don't live in, or own property in Central Arkansas anymore. I do, however, believe the bitching about WMS upgrades is a knee jerk childish reaction by people scared to death that Little Rock may either keep 1 game a year, or become vindictive to the UAF in retaliation to loosing the Razorback game they now enjoy. I also believe that real reason for that fear is because they themselves are a-holes and would act that way if it were happening to them.Which is a pretty usual liberal reaction and why they are so loud.

1. You pay taxes for Mississippi not Arkansas.  The point of my statement was that anyone who lives and pay taxes in Arkansas has a right to voice their opinion seeing that it's STATE TAXES funding the renovations.

2.  Nobody is scared of central Arkansas Razorback fans becoming vindictive.  You weren't much of a fan if you turn your back on the Hogs because they won't play in your backyard. 

3.  For those fans who do turn their back feel free to support the little rock trojans.  The trojans need as much help as they can get seeing that the majority of their athletic department is funded by subsidies and student fees.

http://projects.huffingtonpost.com/projects/ncaa/subsidy-scorecards/university-of-arkansas-at-little-rock

Bonus: It's losing not LOOSING.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

Quote from: LZH on May 17, 2017, 06:06:40 pm
The University of Arkansas presence in south Arkansas is basically non existent. They've allowed LA Tech to get some kids that should've been playing on the hill like Kenneth Dixon and Devontae Lovett (6-6 OT). As a South Arkansas native, I've seen 1st hand how the university has cut itself off from that part of the state. Think its bad in central Arkansas? You have no idea
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

Athog

Quote from: Mr. Porkleone on May 11, 2017, 07:47:21 pm
WMS holds great memories from tailgating to some awesome games for sure, but the end is near as it should be. We got Donald W. Reynolds Razorback stadium, it's going to be a beautiful stadium when renovation complete.

Totally agree!

factchecker

Quote from: Boss Hog in the Arkansas on May 18, 2017, 12:54:59 pm
The University of Arkansas presence in south Arkansas is basically non existent. They've allowed LA Tech to get some kids that should've been playing on the hill like Kenneth Dixon and Devontae Lovett (6-6 OT). As a South Arkansas native, I've seen 1st hand how the university has cut itself off from that part of the state. Think its bad in central Arkansas? You have no idea

Dixon was a small miss by Petrino.  Crockett looks like he will be a bigger miss (due to injuries) by Bielema.  I'm not sure if Lovett is a miss or not seeing that he hasn't played much.

The Razorbacks have plenty of Central and South Arkansans on the Roster:

TJ Hammonds
Dylan Hays
Kevin Richardson
Colton Jackson
Jamario Bell
Will Gragg
Johnny Gibson
Bijhon Jackson
Devin Buckner
Josh Harris
Josh Liddell
Jordan Jones
McTelvin "Sosa" Agim (by way of Texas)

to name a few.

Yeah, but your right...... "non-existent"
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

ricepig

Jackson, Capps, Jones, Adcock, Brown......should I go on? How about those who currently hold offers?

hoglady

Quote from: hobhog on May 17, 2017, 05:57:25 pm
Not saying you are wrong, but what are YOUR solutions to senseless violence from people who value life about as much as ISIS? Their own relatives and neighbors won't rat them out, so other than martial law south of 630 I see no answer.

They could work harder to fill the 75 vacancies on the Little Rock police department. It might allow them to put more boots on the ground in the problem areas. In the 90's - Little Rock quadrupled the police force and Steve Nawojczyk (county coroner) worked in the problem areas to help reduce the homicide rate and together they managed to just about end the gang problems and killings.
Maybe a large task force that works on nothing but the violence / along with finding another Nawojczyk with experience dealing with these type issues.

Little Rock Police department to me appears to have leadership issues.

MikesPigsty

Same ole heated conversation thats been brewing as long as I can remember on the boards. Some of the best games I attended were at WMS back in the old SWC days. Things change & money talks. It's always about the money & that's one thing that will never change.

Inhogswetrust

BULL. My whole extended family lives in south Arkansas and all of them have Hog clothing, stuff and some go to games when they can. LT has always had a presence there since it is so close. The Hogs have gotten several players from down there recently.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

LZH

Cuz, I was born and raised in SeArk and lived there up until 2014. I absolutely know how nonexistent the Hogs have become to nearly everyone under 40.

ricepig

Quote from: LZH on May 18, 2017, 08:37:02 pm
Cuz, I was born and raised in SeArk and lived there up until 2014. I absolutely know how nonexistent the Hogs have become to nearly everyone under 40.

I guess the 18yr olds who go to school in Fayetteville from south Arkansas don't exist either?

LZH

Quote from: ricepig on May 18, 2017, 08:58:39 pm
I guess the 18yr olds who go to school in Fayetteville from south Arkansas don't exist either?

Lots of kids running around in other teams' t-shirts and ball caps. The % of young people interested in Razorback sports around there is a fraction of what it used to be. Side note: Mine was the only one in her class to go to Fayetteville.

bphi11ips

Quote from: LZH on May 18, 2017, 09:20:30 pm
Lots of kids running around in other teams' t-shirts and ball caps. The % of young people interested in Razorback sports around there is a fraction of what it used to be. Side note: Mine was the only one in her class to go to Fayetteville.

Shhhhhh. Never argue with The Omniscient Gang of Two.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

LZH

Quote from: bphi11ips on May 18, 2017, 10:01:00 pm

:)  (sounds like a Star Trek episode....)

bphi11ips

Quote from: LZH on May 18, 2017, 10:11:23 pm
:)  (sounds like a Star Trek episode....)

Rocky and Bullwinkle or The Boys From The 'Boro

LZH

Quote from: bphi11ips on May 18, 2017, 10:32:45 pm
Rocky and Bullwinkle or The Boys From The 'Boro

Me, myself, & Irene.........minus Irene.

ricepig

Quote from: bphi11ips on May 18, 2017, 10:01:00 pm

Omnipotent, you mere mortal......

ricepig

Quote from: LZH on May 18, 2017, 09:20:30 pm
Well, since nobody lives in south Arkansas anymore, that's a good turnout. 10% of daughters 300 went to the UofA.

bphi11ips

Quote from: ricepig on May 19, 2017, 06:44:37 am
Omnipotent, you mere mortal......

Au contraire mon ami.  All-knowing.  Not all-powerful. 

PorkRinds

I do love how the argument was that the stones wouldn't have any place to play WMS and would never play Verizon. That got eerily silent when it was pointed out the last time they played Little Rock they played at Alltell, which is now, yep you guessed it, Verizon.