Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

WMS renovations

Started by factchecker, May 11, 2017, 07:43:10 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: DeltaBoy on May 12, 2017, 01:11:07 pm
They need 3 times that much to really fix the old gray lady.

Then multiply that by 5 and it would be a good start.

Lots of good memories in that old stadium.
This is my non-signature signature.

LZH

Quote from: Großer Kriegschwein on May 13, 2017, 11:14:26 am
Then multiply that by 5 and it would be a good start.

Lots of good memories in that old stadium.

Yes, lots of good memories.

But to bring it up to modern SEC-acceptable standards and capacity it would cost $100 million......which is almost twice what it would have cost 15 years ago when something should have been done.

ricepig

Quote from: bphi11ips on May 13, 2017, 11:01:51 am
Yep, but you completely missed the point.  It's a matter of degree.  And when a community stops the bleeding.   

There is no comparison between Nashville and Little Rock.  Nashville has benefitted from 24 years of strong leadership from Phil Bredesen, Bill Purcell and Karl Dean.  Dean, in particular, was strong on education.  All have aggressively recruited business. 

Compare the population growth rates of Little Rock and Nashville between 2000 and 2015:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Little_Rock,_Arkansas

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nashville,_Tennessee

In a report published in March, 2017, Nashville's annual growth rate between 2010 and 2016 was 11.6%, up from 10% between 2010 and 2014.  The trend is currently explosive growth. 

I left Little Rock in 1990, lived in Fayetteville for three years, and moved to Nashville permanently in 1993.  Looking at the growth trends during my lifetime, looks like I've had the best of both worlds.

I grew up in a family that was close to local politics.  My stepfather was the attorney who kept the North Little School District from being consolidated with the rest of Pulaski County schools.  He also fought many courtroom battles with John Walker.  Sheffield Nelson is one of my former law partners.  I say this not to drop names, but I have seen the difference between the way Little Rock has been managed and the way that Nashville has been led.  It's night and day.  You live in Memphis, spent time in Jacksonville, and don't like Little Rock.  We get that.  But on this issue, you really don't have a clue what you're talking about.  Save the snarky comments for football. 

Those 1352 guitar pickers had large families, thus the growth.

moses_007

Soon there will be no teams playing there except a few high schools.  They ought to just tear the thing down.

1highhog

Quote from: goodguytex on May 13, 2017, 07:50:51 am
We are under contract with Jerry's world to play the Aggies there through I believe 2025. That's not going anywhere.

I know they're not going anywhere but I did say, "IMHO that they should go to playing a home and home series just like we play everyone else."

1highhog

Quote from: factchecker on May 13, 2017, 08:37:28 am
Don't we get paid to play in the SW Classic, whereas we have to pay WMS to play in Little Rock?

Regardless, it's interesting to see how many of those who strongly opposed the stadium expansion/renovation by the self sufficient Razorbacks have no problem with the state’s tax payers funding WMS renovations.  I’ve always said that the major problem most of the fans of little rock have with Razorback stadium renovations are that they are happening on campus not at WMS.

Personally, I’m happy that WMS is renovating.  The fact that tax money is being used doesn’t really bother me although it is wasteful.  I am happy that the WMS board is striving for self sufficiency.  In the end, I want my Hogs to play in the best venues and this is a step in the right direction.

Where in my post did I say fuss about the renovations to RRS?  I'm all for it and I think all games should be played there including the SW Classic.  Why?  Sure, the School get's paid to play there but it's terribly expensive for the fans to go there and watch the Hogs play.  I'd rather go to College Station and watch our Hogs than to pay JJ for him just keeping the lights on in AT&T Stadium.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: LZH on May 13, 2017, 11:13:06 am
I was only talking about the possibility of how the expansion could be done. Remove the press box, build your sky boxes and premium seats on top of the existing bowl, add the 25,000 new seats on top of that, then build your new press box. The structural support for the additions would create a new facade and significantly add to the footprint of the stadium allowing for more amenities and concessions. Would have been nice.

When the old Big Sombrero was torn down and RayJay was built in the same spot (actually one became a parking lot for the other), it totally reinvented the area. Older buildings were razed and lots of new businesses and hotels/restaurants popped up. That part of town on N. Dale Mabry is really nice now....would have been good to see in LR as well.

But that was not financially feasible with the limited number of games that would have filled it up. Maybe one or two a year.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Inhogswetrust

May 14, 2017, 12:34:27 pm #57 Last Edit: May 14, 2017, 05:27:08 pm by Inhogswetrust
Quote from: bphi11ips on May 13, 2017, 11:01:51 am
Yep, but you completely missed the point.  It's a matter of degree.  And when a community stops the bleeding.   

There is no comparison between Nashville and Little Rock.  Nashville has benefitted from 24 years of strong leadership from Phil Bredesen, Bill Purcell and Karl Dean.  Dean, in particular, was strong on education.  All have aggressively recruited business. 

Compare the population growth rates of Little Rock and Nashville between 2000 and 2015:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Little_Rock,_Arkansas

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nashville,_Tennessee

In a report published in March, 2017, Nashville's annual growth rate between 2010 and 2016 was 11.6%, up from 10% between 2010 and 2014.  The trend is currently explosive growth. 

I left Little Rock in 1990, lived in Fayetteville for three years, and moved to Nashville permanently in 1993.  Looking at the growth trends during my lifetime, looks like I've had the best of both worlds.

I grew up in a family that was close to local politics.  My stepfather was the attorney who kept the North Little School District from being consolidated with the rest of Pulaski County schools.  He also fought many courtroom battles with John Walker.  Sheffield Nelson is one of my former law partners.  I say this not to drop names, but I have seen the difference between the way Little Rock has been managed and the way that Nashville has been led.  It's night and day.  You live in Memphis, spent time in Jacksonville, and don't like Little Rock.  We get that.  But on this issue, you really don't have a clue what you're talking about.  Save the snarky comments for football. 

I completely agree with Nashville being more " progressive" about growth. I live in Memphis as you know and it is terrible compared to Nashville. You have indeed been fortunate to live in Nashville or at least that area. I would much rather live there than here but my wife's job is too important to her and her family is here and mine in Cabot, AR. I didn't just spend time in Jacksonville, I grew up there. As far as snarky comments you have been guilty of that on here as well in the past. And even though you say you are not name dropping that is exactly what your post reads as. My dad was close to David Pryor Sr. in his younger years as well as Wilbur Mills. He knew the Couch family from AP & L fame since he worked there. My Grandfathers job depended on who was elected County Judge so I was born into local politics. Also a good friend worked for Clinton as governor. My Mom and Dad both knew Frank White. He helped her and some bank stockholders one time by getting a bank examined closely. I worked for a well known attorney in NWA and he is highly connected to the RF. Nothing important there happens without his input. Great guy. My sister works for one that is highly known in LR and the Travelers can't do anything without his blessing. I worked for Pitt Hyde, founder of Autozone and one of the wealthiest guys in the midsouth and state of TN while in the hotel business. Yes he invests in hotels and other types of commercial real estate. Another great guy. My wife works in the corporate offices of FedEx and her boss is a VP that answers directly to the COO under Fred Smith. I've had to many numerous to count of celebrities, politicians and wealthy people stay in my hotels. Ironically politicians are one of the worst to have as a guest. One in particular I got to know well was a US Congressman in Arkansas that stayed drunk in my hotel all the time. So let's not compare politicians, lawyers or influential people we know. Also as you know Nashville has a Metro government in some aspects. That in and of itself is better than the LR government method.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

TheGunther

I think some of you would be surprised at the number of events regularly being hosted at WMS and not just athletic events.  It appears the semi-pro soccer team, Little Rock Rangers, are now calling it home and starting to pick-up more an more spectators as the word gets out.  Whatever your thoughts on the stadium, it is obvious the city and the state feel it is still worth investment.
everybody wanna be a bodybuilder, no one wanna lift no heavy ass weight!

ricepig

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on May 14, 2017, 12:34:27 pm
I completely agree with Nashville being more " progressive" about growth. I live in Memphis as you know and it is terrible compared to Nashville. You have indeed been fortunate to live in Nashville or at least that area. I would much rather live there than here but my wife's job is too important to her and her family is here and mine in Cabot, AR. I didn't just spend time in Jacksonville, I grew up there. As far as snarky comments you have been guilty of that on here as well in the past. And even though you say you are not name dropping that is exactly what your post reads as. My dad was close to David Pryor Sr. in his younger years as well as as Wilbur Mills. He knew the Couch family from AP &L fame since he worked there. My grandfathers job depended on who was elected County Judge. Also a good friend worked for Clinton as governor. My Mom and Dad both knew Frank White. He helped her and some bank stockholders one time by getting a bank examined closely. I worked for a well known attorney in NWA and he is highly connected to the RF. Nothing important there happens without his input. Great guy. My sister works for one that is highly known in LR and the Travelers can't do anything without his blessing. I worked for Pitt Hyde. Another great guy. My wife works in the corporate offices of FedEx and her boss is a VP that answers directly to the COO under Fred Smith. I've had to many numerous to count of celebrities, politicians and wealthy people stay in my hotels. Ironically politicians are one of the worst to have as a guest. One in particular I got to know well was a US Congressman in Arkansas that stayed drunk in my hotel all the time. So let's not compare politicians, lawyers or influential people we know. Also as you know Nashville has a Metro government in some aspects. That in and of itself is better than the LR government method.

Pics, or it didn't happen.........

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: ricepig on May 14, 2017, 05:12:00 pm
Pics, or it didn't happen.........

You don't want pics. You probably voted for the guy.......................

ricepig

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on May 14, 2017, 05:21:14 pm
You don't want pics. You probably voted for the guy.......................

I meant for all of the above......

bphi11ips

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on May 14, 2017, 12:34:27 pm
I completely agree with Nashville being more " progressive" about growth. I live in Memphis as you know and it is terrible compared to Nashville. You have indeed been fortunate to live in Nashville or at least that area. I would much rather live there than here but my wife's job is too important to her and her family is here and mine in Cabot, AR. I didn't just spend time in Jacksonville, I grew up there. As far as snarky comments you have been guilty of that on here as well in the past. And even though you say you are not name dropping that is exactly what your post reads as. My dad was close to David Pryor Sr. in his younger years as well as Wilbur Mills. He knew the Couch family from AP & L fame since he worked there. My Grandfathers job depended on who was elected County Judge so I was born into local politics. Also a good friend worked for Clinton as governor. My Mom and Dad both knew Frank White. He helped her and some bank stockholders one time by getting a bank examined closely. I worked for a well known attorney in NWA and he is highly connected to the RF. Nothing important there happens without his input. Great guy. My sister works for one that is highly known in LR and the Travelers can't do anything without his blessing. I worked for Pitt Hyde, founder of Autozone and one of the wealthiest guys in the midsouth and state of TN while in the hotel business. Yes he invests in hotels and other types of commercial real estate. Another great guy. My wife works in the corporate offices of FedEx and her boss is a VP that answers directly to the COO under Fred Smith. I've had to many numerous to count of celebrities, politicians and wealthy people stay in my hotels. Ironically politicians are one of the worst to have as a guest. One in particular I got to know well was a US Congressman in Arkansas that stayed drunk in my hotel all the time. So let's not compare politicians, lawyers or influential people we know. Also as you know Nashville has a Metro government in some aspects. That in and of itself is better than the LR government method.

Lol. 
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

1highhog

Quote from: moses_007 on May 14, 2017, 12:59:45 am
Soon there will be no teams playing there except a few high schools.  They ought to just tear the thing down.

NO.  This is dumb.  Y'all that hate on WMS are being DMF's.  I don't want games there anymore as far as Razorback games, and it hurts to say that, because I've watched some of the best games in memory there, but it's no longer large enough and polished enough for SEC games.  But it's nice enough for all High School Games and plenty nice enough for Concerts and games for ASU and UCA to play there.  There's not a better place to have major Concerts in the State than WMS.  The best one I ever attended there were the Eagles. 

PorkRinds

Quote from: 1highhog on May 16, 2017, 11:07:05 am
NO.  This is dumb.  Y'all that hate on WMS are being DMF's.  I don't want games there anymore as far as Razorback games, and it hurts to say that, because I've watched some of the best games in memory there, but it's no longer large enough and polished enough for SEC games.  But it's nice enough for all High School Games and plenty nice enough for Concerts and games for ASU and UCA to play there.  There's not a better place to have major Concerts in the State than WMS.  The best one I ever attended there were the Eagles.

Not a better place to have concerts? I suppose you haven't been to the amp in bentonville. Superior in every way.

ricepig

Quote from: PorkRinds on May 16, 2017, 11:09:46 am
Not a better place to have concerts? I suppose you haven't been to the amp in bentonville. Superior in every way.

You aren't going to get a Rolling Stones/Eagles outdoor tour like in the past at the Amp, not large enough. I wouldn't go see a concert there now days, but it's probably the only large stage venue for 25,000.

Swine-as-wine

yea that's nice if you wanna listen to High School bands play.

PorkRinds

Quote from: ricepig on May 16, 2017, 11:32:18 am
You aren't going to get a Rolling Stones/Eagles outdoor tour like in the past at the Amp, not large enough. I wouldn't go see a concert there now days, but it's probably the only large stage venue for 25,000.

You're not going to get eagles/stones at WMS either.  Any act that big usually plays at Verizon.

PorkRinds

Quote from: Swine-as-wine on May 16, 2017, 12:50:15 pm
yea that's nice if you wanna listen to High School bands play.

It's a 7,000 seat arena. Most of the bigger concerts are there currently. If they need bigger they go to Verizon. When's the last time WMS had a big concert?

ricepig

Quote from: PorkRinds on May 16, 2017, 01:09:03 pm
You're not going to get eagles/stones at WMS either.  Any act that big usually plays at Verizon.

We're talking about an outdoor concert.

PorkRinds

Quote from: ricepig on May 16, 2017, 02:00:08 pm
We're talking about an outdoor concert.

Ok. Still not coming to WMS.  Those size concerts don't want a dump like WMS. When is the last time a large concert came there? The eagles came in what, 95 or 96? Not sure that counts.

ricepig

Quote from: PorkRinds on May 16, 2017, 02:01:54 pm
Ok. Still not coming to WMS.  Those size concerts don't want a dump like WMS. When is the last time a large concert came there? The eagles came in what, 95 or 96? Not sure that counts.

They might with a new scoreboard and video board, lol.

1highhog

No it's not.  It's in the far corner of the State and any good marketing team/manager, is going to take that into consideration.  Like it or not, LR is in the center of the State and it and the surrounding towns around it form a huge population that any other part of the State can't come close to matching. 

1highhog

Quote from: PorkRinds on May 16, 2017, 02:01:54 pm

You're smoking crack if you think the Stones would ever play at Verizon, it's not gonna happen.  They would play in WMS in a heartbeat and I'd be glad you wouldn't be there, that would just increase the odds of me scoring a ticket to the concert that much better.

theFlyingHog

Concerts in Verizon suck. The sound in there is godawful

bphi11ips

There are only a few acts in the world that can fill a stadium, and those are disappearing. 
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

PorkRinds

Quote from: 1highhog on May 17, 2017, 02:26:49 am
You're smoking crack if you think the Stones would ever play at Verizon, it's not gonna happen.  They would play in WMS in a heartbeat and I'd be glad you wouldn't be there, that would just increase the odds of me scoring a ticket to the concert that much better.

You're smoking crack if you think WMS is a premier concert venue. Go ahead and list the last time a big name act came to WMS. Especially one as large as the stones.  Do I think they'd play Verizon? No. Not at all. But they'd certainly play there before WMS.  And don't worry, I've already seen the stones twice, so I'll pass on the geriatrics when they show up at WMS. Don't hold your breath though.

PorkRinds

Quote from: theFlyingHog on May 17, 2017, 04:54:30 am
Concerts in Verizon suck. The sound in there is godawful

Agreed.

factchecker

I'm not sure what concert lineup WMS has this summer but here is the AMP's:

https://www.arkansasmusicpavilion.com/upcoming-events/
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

PorkRinds

Quote from: factchecker on May 17, 2017, 10:23:48 am
I'm not sure what concert lineup WMS has this summer but here is the AMP's:

https://www.arkansasmusicpavilion.com/upcoming-events/

Exactly. Let me post WMS's concert list for this summer...

Quote........

factchecker

Quote from: PorkRinds on May 17, 2017, 10:36:59 am

Exactly. Let me post WMS's concert list for this summer...

I was shocked that we had KISS coming up here.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: factchecker on May 17, 2017, 10:40:09 am
I was shocked that we had KISS coming up here.

No surprise. As bphi11ips said, few acts can fill a stadium now.

Dominicanhog

Quote from: ricepig on May 16, 2017, 02:03:59 pm
They might with a new scoreboard and video board, lol.

have they fixed the clock?

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: 1highhog on May 17, 2017, 02:20:26 am
No it's not.  It's in the far corner of the State and any good marketing team/manager, is going to take that into consideration.  Like it or not, LR is in the center of the State and it and the surrounding towns around it form a huge population that any other part of the State can't come close to matching. 

You are forgetting that with concerts people come from out of state sometimes. NWA is close to Tulsa, Joplin, Ft Smith and others. There is a good sized population now in and close to NWA.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Dominicanhog on May 17, 2017, 10:46:47 am
have they fixed the clock?

Can't find a replacement gear for the minute hand.............................

PorkRinds

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on May 17, 2017, 10:49:18 am
You are forgetting that with concerts people come from out of state sometimes. NWA is close to Tulsa, Joplin, Ft Smith and others. There is a good sized population now in and close to NWA.

He's ignoring that all the bigger concerts have been at the amp recently. A few have been at Verizon. Absolutely zero at WMS. He says the stones would absolutely book WMS and I'm the one smoking crack. lol. If they'd love it so much why haven't they booked it in the last 20 years?

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on May 17, 2017, 10:50:11 am
I see what you did there
+100
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

Quote from: PorkRinds on May 17, 2017, 10:59:50 am
He's ignoring that all the bigger concerts have been at the amp recently. A few have been at Verizon. Absolutely zero at WMS. He says the stones would absolutely book WMS and I'm the one smoking crack. lol. If they'd love it so much why haven't they booked it in the last 20 years?
:)
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Boss Hog in the Arkansas on May 17, 2017, 11:17:13 am
I see what you did there
+100

You know you're old when you actually remember those type of game clocks!

ricepig

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on May 17, 2017, 10:50:11 am

I thought it was because a tree had grown too tall and was blocking the sun's rays.....

ricepig

Quote from: PorkRinds on May 17, 2017, 10:59:50 am

Well, no one expects the Stones to play WMS, the point was that a concert needing 25,000+ seats would have to play there, or more likely, then any other venue. As mentioned, few groups/acts are playing in these type venues any more.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: ricepig on May 17, 2017, 11:22:17 am
I thought it was because a tree had grown too tall and was blocking the sun's rays.....

They let the tree grow taller to shade the field. Al Gore said it was getting to hot..................

sowmonella

Not trying to brag or make anyone jealous but I can still fit into the same pair of socks I wore in high school.
Proud member since August 2003

PorkRinds

Quote from: ricepig on May 17, 2017, 11:26:44 am
Well, no one expects the Stones to play WMS, the point was that a concert needing 25,000+ seats would have to play there, or more likely, then any other venue. As mentioned, few groups/acts are playing in these type venues any more.

The point is that even the ones that do aren't choosing WMS. They're choosing Verizon. Here is the schedule for Verizon.

https://www.livenation.com/venues/14172/verizon-arena

They've also hosted the chili peppers and Paul McCartney recently.  So let's be real. Big touring acts aren't choosing WMS. They're choosing Verizon or the amp. WMS is scheduling soccer practices and birthday parties, not concerts.

ricepig

Quote from: PorkRinds on May 17, 2017, 11:32:11 am
The point is that even the ones that do aren't choosing WMS. They're choosing Verizon. Here is the schedule for Verizon.

https://www.livenation.com/venues/14172/verizon-arena

They've also hosted the chili peppers and Paul McCartney recently.  So let's be real. Big touring acts aren't choosing WMS. They're choosing Verizon or the amp. WMS is scheduling soccer practices and birthday parties, not concerts.

I'm sorry, does Verizon seat 25,000+?

PorkRinds

Quote from: ricepig on May 17, 2017, 11:33:05 am
I'm sorry, does Verizon seat 25,000+?

More like 15,000.  Arkansas simply doesn't book concerts that bring in 25,000.

ricepig

Quote from: PorkRinds on May 17, 2017, 11:59:02 am

I understand that, I believe the point was, if, yes, a big if, an act wished to play in an outdoor setting holding 25,000+ in the state of Arkansas, it more than likely would be at WMS. This isn't the Great Concert Debate, lol, just stating that if a group such as the Stones, Garth Brooks, etc, wished to play in a large setting in this state, it would more than likely be at WMS.  Besides, the Rogers police wouldn't let the Stones play at the AMP, they might confuse "Start Me Up", with "rush the stage".....

PorkRinds

Quote from: ricepig on May 17, 2017, 12:50:30 pm
I understand that, I believe the point was, if, yes, a big if, an act wished to play in an outdoor setting holding 25,000+ in the state of Arkansas, it more than likely would be at WMS. This isn't the Great Concert Debate, lol, just stating that if a group such as the Stones, Garth Brooks, etc, wished to play in a large setting in this state, it would more than likely be at WMS.  Besides, the Rogers police wouldn't let the Stones play at the AMP, they might confuse "Start Me Up", with "rush the stage".....

Lol. I'll give you a quick guess where Garth played last time he was in Arkansas.

ricepig

Quote from: PorkRinds on May 17, 2017, 12:54:25 pm
Lol. I'll give you a quick guess where Garth played last time he was in Arkansas.

Dude, I don't care where he last played, you seem to be skipping over the part of wanting a venue that seats 25,000+, name me one outside of WMS.

LZH

Quote from: PorkRinds on May 17, 2017, 11:59:02 am

The music business has changed so much in the past 20 years. I'm sure that if things were more like my heyday (big rock bands that were still in their prime, festival seating at the larger venues, CD/album sales that drove the the market, etc) we would still see events like the Stones at WMS in 1993 or whenever it was that we went.

Year before last Jimmy Buffett pulled about 30,000 to the fairgrounds in Tampa and last year Beyonce sold out Raymond James Stadium in no time. Other than that I am not aware of any other large outdoor concerts around these parts.

Fwiw, the front rows at the Beyonce show were reportedly going for $5,000 apiece. Of course, these days they put chairs on the football field and assign everyone a seat according to how much money they spend. Back in our day you bought your ticket for one price, and depending on how soon you showed up or how determined you (or your girlfriend.... "take me down front, I want to see the band") were to push your way towards the front of the stage, everyone had the same access. It is a lot easier to self 50,000 tickets at $35 apiece then it is when half of them cost well over $100. It's just business nowadays.