Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

WMS renovations

Started by factchecker, May 11, 2017, 07:43:10 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

factchecker

QuoteA state council on Wednesday awarded $1.1 million in a conservation and historic preservation grant to the War Memorial Stadium Commission to upgrade its scoreboard and two video boards.....

http://www.arkansasonline.com/news/2017/may/11/stadium-upgrade-grant-set-at-1-1m-20170/
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

factchecker

Quote"Our current video board is in almost disrepair. The scoreboard is an analog scoreboard and we would like to replace that with a digital board and, thus, increase the viability to do some more video boards. We also have a video board on the north end of the stadium," Cohen said. "When somebody comes to a ballgame at War Memorial Stadium, they watch the video as much, if not more, than they watch the ballgame on the field. Our sporting events are growing as well and we're really pushing our nontraditional events and we would like to have viable video support in order for those events to come to War Memorial Stadium."

http://www.arkansasonline.com/news/2017/may/11/stadium-upgrade-grant-set-at-1-1m-20170/
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

Mr. Porkleone

WMS holds great memories from tailgating to some awesome games for sure, but the end is near as it should be. We got Donald W. Reynolds Razorback stadium, it's going to be a beautiful stadium when renovation complete.

Inhogswetrust

Only $1.1 million. They must want to replace the extension cord they use to plug it in, the old incandescent light bulbs it uses and a couple of fuses...............................
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

PorkRinds

If you polish a turd, it's still a turd. Though maybe this will get some more events to in the stadium once the hogs stop playing there.

Hoggish1

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on May 12, 2017, 06:37:30 am
Only $1.1 million. They must want to replace the extension cord they use to plug it in, the old incandescent light bulbs it uses and a couple of fuses...............................

LMAO.  Good job!  Hilarious...

LZH

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on May 12, 2017, 06:37:30 am

I thought the same thing.

Dwight_K_Shrute

Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

gchamblee

Will be like installing a high end stereo in a pinto

outlawhogeywells

maybe they can finally fix the flooding in the bathrooms

DeltaBoy

They need 3 times that much to really fix the old gray lady.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

phadedhawg

Doesn't seem like very much money to spend on a new video board.

HF#1

That will fix about (                                 ) that much of the stadium.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

Seems like a waste at this point. WMS honestly doesn't have the financial backing it needs to continue hosting D1 college football in this day and age
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

Inhogswetrust

Just a little late. Already been a thread started about it.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

factchecker

WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: LZH on May 12, 2017, 09:07:27 am
I thought the same thing.

I loved going to games there in the past. But the past is the past. I had a car once I loved. Driving it was fun but at some point it got to where it was time to give it up. No amount of money was going to make it fun or a good deal to drive anymore.

Pigsknuckles

What was it they spent on the press box renovations?
"the ox is slow, but the Earth is patient"

LZH

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on May 12, 2017, 03:05:38 pm
I loved going to games there in the past. But the past is the past. I had a car once I loved. Driving it was fun but at some point it got to where it was time to give it up. No amount of money was going to make it fun or a good deal to drive anymore.

I just have an emotional attachment to WMS that I've never developed for RRS. Leaving out my other opinions and any GSD material, there always was a spirit about games there (like the LSU games) that never translated to Fayetteville games....and that's just my take, not stating is as fact.

But, fwiw, LR/Central Arkansas really can only blame itself because you can't just keep throwing a coat of paint on an old stadium like that and expect to keep up. How many years have we known that unless some real renovations/expansions were made or another stadium was built that LR would eventually be without Razorback games? I don't like it, but making an announcement that there will be (just) $1.1M in improvements is only an acknowledgement of how little fight WMS/LR is putting up.

BoarnSupremacy

Maybe an ASU game there.  A couple USC games.  The few high school games.  That's all I can see there

Sivad

Quote from: BoarnSupremacy on May 12, 2017, 03:34:42 pm
Maybe an ASU game there.  A few high school games.
Whats the difference?

HamSammich

War memorial is a symbol of the decline of Little Rock....

Some multi millionaire will get in cahoots with investors and will build a new stadium outside of Little Rock and it will be a mini jerrys world. Book it.

So I don't worry about all of your war memorial debate garbage here. Could care less

Hoggish1

Quote from: HamSammich on May 12, 2017, 07:06:05 pm

Some multi millionaire will get in cahoots with investors and will build a new stadium outside of Little Rock and it will be a mini jerrys world. Book it.

So I don't worry about all of your war memorial debate garbage here. Could care less

Book it if your book was deranged...

Hawgphish

Quote from: Sivad on May 12, 2017, 06:48:53 pm
Whats the difference?
I think ASU is playing Blytheville there this year.

The_Iceman

Lipstick on a pig......Polishing a Turd.

PossumFan

Quote from: Hawgphish on May 12, 2017, 07:19:33 pm

Hilarious. ASU plays a tougher non-conference schedule than Arkansas this year.

FineAsSwine

Quote from: PossumFan on May 12, 2017, 07:55:21 pm

Sunbelt money don't go far. Bills gotta get paid.
Hogs up! Covid down!

greasy_corner

That's because you're the whore and we're the John.

PorkRinds

Because their conference is a joke.

Hawgphish

they are the cupcake.

PossumFan

Quote from: Hawgphish on May 12, 2017, 09:13:50 pm
they are the cupcake.

Can't argue with that. But my post was in response to the one about them playing Blytheville High, which suggests they are the ones feasting on cupcakes. I'm amazed that so many Hog fans feel so insecure and threatened by the presence of a second FBS team in the state that they feel compelled to take shots to keep "the little guy" down. Relax, guys. The UofA is the big dog, always has been and always will be. 

Justifiable Hogicide

Quote from: Hawgphish on May 12, 2017, 07:19:33 pm
Sounds like 50/50 and pick em.

Pig in the Pokey

umm, can someone enlighten me on how a scoreboard is " conservation and historic preservation  " worthy??
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

1highhog

Quote from: LZH on May 12, 2017, 03:30:02 pm
I just have an emotional attachment to WMS that I've never developed for RRS. Leaving out my other opinions and any GSD material, there always was a spirit about games there (like the LSU games) that never translated to Fayetteville games....and that's just my take, not stating is as fact.

But, fwiw, LR/Central Arkansas really can only blame itself because you can't just keep throwing a coat of paint on an old stadium like that and expect to keep up. How many years have we known that unless some real renovations/expansions were made or another stadium was built that LR would eventually be without Razorback games? I don't like it, but making an announcement that there will be (just) $1.1M in improvements is only an acknowledgement of how little fight WMS/LR is putting up.

They are not making this announcement to keep the Hogs playing in WMS.  I think everyone by now knows that with the expansion to RRS that all games will be played in Fayetteville as it should be and IMHO the AT&T game with the aggies should be a home and home series like every other SEC game.  Games in Jerry's World cost wayyy to much to go to.  The things they are doing to WMS are for trying to get other venues and even other football games played at WMS, just as the article says.

goodguytex

Quote from: 1highhog on May 13, 2017, 07:10:19 am
They are not making this announcement to keep the Hogs playing in WMS.  I think everyone by now knows that with the expansion to RRS that all games will be played in Fayetteville as it should be and IMHO the AT&T game with the aggies should be a home and home series like every other SEC game.  Games in Jerry's World cost wayyy to much to go to.  The things they are doing to WMS are for trying to get other venues and even other football games played at WMS, just as the article says.
We are under contract with Jerry's world to play the Aggies there through I believe 2025. That's not going anywhere.

factchecker

Quote from: 1highhog on May 13, 2017, 07:10:19 am

Don't we get paid to play in the SW Classic, whereas we have to pay WMS to play in Little Rock?

Regardless, it's interesting to see how many of those who strongly opposed the stadium expansion/renovation by the self sufficient Razorbacks have no problem with the state's tax payers funding WMS renovations.  I've always said that the major problem most of the fans of little rock have with Razorback stadium renovations are that they are happening on campus not at WMS.

Personally, I'm happy that WMS is renovating.  The fact that tax money is being used doesn't really bother me although it is wasteful.  I am happy that the WMS board is striving for self sufficiency.  In the end, I want my Hogs to play in the best venues and this is a step in the right direction.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

Seebs

It will take close to 13.7 million to scrub out the excrement smell and self loathing.  1.1MM is tantamount to turning your used Depends inside out and calling yourself clean.
To add a "sig line" or "signature line": Go to your "profile" then go to "modify profile" then scroll down to where it says "Signature" and type in what you want it to say and then click on "change profile". That's it, you're done. Your sig line will only show up on your first post on each page.

bphi11ips

War memorial is a symbol of the decline of Little Rock.

^^^^^^

Was thinking about the reasons for this recently.  Poor public education has no doubt plagued Little Rock and put it at a disadvantage when competing for industry.  Why can't Little Rock fix it?  After living in Nashville, Tennessee for 25 years, where strong mayors have led the way for explosive growth, I've concluded that Little Rock's city manager form of government has been a huge factor in the city's decline.  Yes, Little Rock has a "mayor", but veto power does not give a mayor the opportunity to implement a vision and act in what he or she believes to be in the city's best interest. 

I grew up in Little Rock and saw first hand the parochial approach of the city council.  I have watched as families have moved futher and further west and north rather than face the core issues head on.  The result has been that population growth went from double digits in the 70's and 80's to a virtual standstill since.

Little Rock was a great place to grow up.   Part of what made it great was Razorbacks football.  Maybe losing it will cause the city to look in the mirror.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

LZH

Quote from: Seebs on May 13, 2017, 08:40:53 am1.1MM is tantamount to turning your used Depends inside out and calling yourself clean.

Thanks for that image.

Fwiw I'm 100% all for any expansion or improvements to RRS, I just wish we could fill it up every game.

And yeah it's true, WMS isn't trying to put up a fight anymore because the fight is over and has been. But I still think my point is accurate... LR had a 10+ year window to do something but nothing happened. My understanding is that as late as 2012 (?) or so a rivalry game like LSU or Ole Miss could have been kept in LR had a real venue been available. Not sure if building a new stadium would be worth it, or if completely renovating WMS and adding about 25,000 seats would be more practical. I think of Lambeau Field, Soldier Field, and Notre Dame's old concrete bowl stadiums and how they added seats without losing the original design and atmosphere.

I guess it doesn't matter either way. As much as I still like the area, as long as LR is ran by a bunch of self serving morons, and until they straighten out their ridiculous school system problems, it will continue to stay stagnant and the suburbs will continue to grow. It is what it is.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Pigsknuckles on May 12, 2017, 03:25:00 pm
What was it they spent on the press box renovations?

Which the UA athletic department donated some of................

factchecker

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on May 13, 2017, 10:13:43 am
Which the UA athletic department donated some of................

Wonder how many little rock fans bitched about athletic spending when that happened.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

Inhogswetrust

May 13, 2017, 10:17:39 am #43 Last Edit: May 13, 2017, 10:29:52 am by Inhogswetrust
Quote from: LZH on May 12, 2017, 03:30:02 pm

I have an emotional attachment to both. I grew up in central Arkansas and graduated from the Walton College of Business at the UA. The "spirit" you speak of has changed a LOT over the years and is now moreso in RRS in my opnion. WMS had it's place and time for the Hogs but not any longer and it is time to move on.

Inhogswetrust

Speaking of garbage......................

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on May 13, 2017, 12:53:40 am
umm, can someone enlighten me on how a scoreboard is " conservation and historic preservation  " worthy??

^ Best question of the discussion! It isn't......................

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: bphi11ips on May 13, 2017, 09:24:34 am
^^^^^^

Was thinking about the reasons for this recently.  Poor public education has no doubt plagued Little Rock and put it at a disadvantage when competing for industry.  Why can't Little Rock fix it?  After living in Nashville, Tennessee for 25 years, where strong mayors have led the way for explosive growth, I've concluded that Little Rock's city manager form of government has been a huge factor in the city's decline.  Yes, Little Rock has a "mayor", but veto power does not give a mayor the opportunity to implement a vision and act in what he or she believes to be in the city's best interest. 

I grew up in Little Rock and saw first hand the parochial approach of the city council.  I have watched as families have moved futher and further west and north rather than face the core issues head on.  The result has been that population growth went from double digits in the 70's and 80's to a virtual standstill since.

Little Rock was a great place to grow up.   Part of what made it great was Razorbacks football.  Maybe losing it will cause the city to look in the mirror.

Growth around MOST metro areas have been outwards towards suburbs. That's happened nearly everywhere I've worked or lived own a metro area. That's what has happened in your Nashville Metro area.

Inhogswetrust

May 13, 2017, 10:29:12 am #47 Last Edit: May 15, 2017, 01:09:14 pm by Inhogswetrust
Quote from: LZH on May 13, 2017, 09:43:36 am
Thanks for that image.

Fwiw I'm 100% all for any expansion or improvements to RRS, I just wish we could fill it up every game.

And yeah it's true, WMS isn't trying to put up a fight anymore because the fight is over and has been. But I still think my point is accurate... LR had a 10+ year window to do something but nothing happened. My understanding is that as late as 2012 (?) or so a rivalry game like LSU or Ole Miss could have been kept in LR had a real venue been available. Not sure if building a new stadium would be worth it, or if completely renovating WMS and adding about 25,000 seats would be more practical. I think of Lambeau Field, Soldier Field, and Notre Dame's old concrete bowl stadiums and how they added seats without losing the original design and atmosphere.

I guess it doesn't matter either way. As much as I still like the area, as long as LR is ran by a bunch of self serving morons, and until they straighten out their ridiculous school system problems, it will continue to stay stagnant and the suburbs will continue to grow. It is what it is.

You forget that the team that play in those other venues you mention have only one home stadium. Therefore the design of the expansion of those is/was not a problem.

bphi11ips

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on May 13, 2017, 10:24:13 am
Growth around MOST metro areas have been outwards towards suburbs. That's happened nearly everywhere I've worked or lived own a metro area. That's what has happened in your Nashville Metro area.

Yep, but you completely missed the point.  It's a matter of degree.  And when a community stops the bleeding.   

There is no comparison between Nashville and Little Rock.  Nashville has benefitted from 24 years of strong leadership from Phil Bredesen, Bill Purcell and Karl Dean.  Dean, in particular, was strong on education.  All have aggressively recruited business. 

Compare the population growth rates of Little Rock and Nashville between 2000 and 2015:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Little_Rock,_Arkansas

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nashville,_Tennessee

In a report published in March, 2017, Nashville's annual growth rate between 2010 and 2016 was 11.6%, up from 10% between 2010 and 2014.  The trend is currently explosive growth. 

I left Little Rock in 1990, lived in Fayetteville for three years, and moved to Nashville permanently in 1993.  Looking at the growth trends during my lifetime, looks like I've had the best of both worlds.

I grew up in a family that was close to local politics.  My stepfather was the attorney who kept the North Little School District from being consolidated with the rest of Pulaski County schools.  He also fought many courtroom battles with John Walker.  Sheffield Nelson is one of my former law partners.  I say this not to drop names, but I have seen the difference between the way Little Rock has been managed and the way that Nashville has been led.  It's night and day.  You live in Memphis, spent time in Jacksonville, and don't like Little Rock.  We get that.  But on this issue, you really don't have a clue what you're talking about.  Save the snarky comments for football. 

Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

LZH

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on May 13, 2017, 10:29:12 am
You forget that the team that play in those other venues you mention have only one home stadium. Therefore the design of the expansion of those is/was not a problem.

I was only talking about the possibility of how the expansion could be done. Remove the press box, build your sky boxes and premium seats on top of the existing bowl, add the 25,000 new seats on top of that, then build your new press box. The structural support for the additions would create a new facade and significantly add to the footprint of the stadium allowing for more amenities and concessions. Would have been nice.

When the old Big Sombrero was torn down and RayJay was built in the same spot (actually one became a parking lot for the other), it totally reinvented the area. Older buildings were razed and lots of new businesses and hotels/restaurants popped up. That part of town on N. Dale Mabry is really nice now....would have been good to see in LR as well.