CFN it's time

Started by LRRandy, May 10, 2017, 03:53:35 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

LRRandy

This is fun, isn't it.

Al Boarland

Mo_Better_Hogs

Right.

And boy, here you go— Ripping up the Gators 31-10 doesn't mean much when it's sandwiched in between losses to Auburn and LSU by a combined score of 94-13.

There were just some things last year that were hard to comprehend.

Hogwop

Pretty fair assessment in my book. I like Coach B and think he could be successful here going forward, but we really need to be shown something this year. I try to be optimistic when it comes to the Hogs, until given a reason not to be. While that hasn't happened yet, another 7-6 season and it's going to get harder to keep believing.
Pigga what?!
Quote from: PonderinHog on April 16, 2018, 10:27:02 amAn emoji is worth a hundred words.
9-07-1958 - 12-2-2011 R.I.P Mom, I will always miss you and love you.

FANONTHEHILL

The failures of 2016 have many people pointing fingers in all directions.  This article is brief and lacks much detail, but at its core, it is absolutely correct.  How can a team look like it did against Florida look so bad against A&M, Auburn, LSU and fall apart in the second half against Missouri and Va Tech?  The athleticism was there to compete.  The same coaches prepare the team each week and the plan is sound.  It all comes down to players being on the same page and selling out to the game plan.  Last year there were struggles on offense, yet we had a QB and RB at or near the top of the conference.  A vast majority of the problems were on the other side of the ball.  Look at points given up vs SEC opponents.
A&M -  45, Bama - 49, Ole Miss - 30, Auburn - 56, LSU - 38, MSU - 42.
That's 43.3 points per game against the west.
Add Florida's - 10 and Missouri's - 28 and Arkansas gave up 37.25 points per game to SEC opponents.  If you want to know why Rob Smith is at Minnesota, there it is. 

I like Paul Rhodes.  The players love him.  I don't believe they will give up on him.  I don't slam players, remember one of them grew up in my house, but there was a lack of "something" last year on the defensive side of the ball.  Losing Greenlaw and Richardson was huge. Despite that, I think the players know that last year was unacceptable.  I realize that on a message board  the optimists are saying they go 9-3 or 10-2. The pessimists are 4-8 or 5-7.  No one really has any idea.  I know I don't.  What I want to see this fall is something go wrong early in the season. Whether it's against FAMU or TCU, something will go wrong.  A turnover, special teams score, something.  What happens in the five minutes after that play will indicate whether or not the team has matured.  Bad things happen, it's part of the game.  How they respond will show if the ghosts of the 2016 season are still haunting them.  Coach Bielema preaches  "you earn everything" and "1-0".  The players have to remember that.  They played like a 7-6 team at times last season and they were better than that.  They earned those 6 loses because of their play.  They dwelled on the last game when things went south.  They didn't rise to the challenge. That's not "1-0" mentality.  That's player leadership.  That's not what they've been taught. No matter how many times Coach says it, the team leaders have to reinforce it.  Austin and Frank have the offensive side taken care of.  It's up to Dre, K-Rich, and Sosa to do the same on defense.  It was already happening in the spring.  But again, this is all talk.  We need to see it in action.  That's why August 31st can't get here soon enough.
Favorite quote from practice.  Made to my son:<br /><br /><br />Technique is nice, but it comes down to this.  Block the F'er in front of you. - Sam Pittman 2015

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

Quote from: FANONTHEHILL on May 11, 2017, 09:27:37 am
The failures of 2016 have many people pointing fingers in all directions.  This article is brief and lacks much detail, but at its core, it is absolutely correct.  How can a team look like it did against Florida look so bad against A&M, Auburn, LSU and fall apart in the second half against Missouri and Va Tech?  The athleticism was there to compete.  The same coaches prepare the team each week and the plan is sound. It all comes down to players being on the same page and selling out to the game plan.  Last year there were struggles on offense, yet we had a QB and RB at or near the top of the conference.  A vast majority of the problems were on the other side of the ball.  Look at points given up vs SEC opponents.
A&M -  45, Bama - 49, Ole Miss - 30, Auburn - 56, LSU - 38, MSU - 42.
That's 43.3 points per game against the west.
Add Florida's - 10 and Missouri's - 28 and Arkansas gave up 37.25 points per game to SEC opponents.  If you want to know why Rob Smith is at Minnesota, there it is. 

I like Paul Rhodes.  The players love him.  I don't believe they will give up on him.  I don't slam players, remember one of them grew up in my house, but there was a lack of "something" last year on the defensive side of the ball.  Losing Greenlaw and Richardson was huge. Despite that, I think the players know that last year was unacceptable.  I realize that on a message board  the optimists are saying they go 9-3 or 10-2. The pessimists are 4-8 or 5-7.  No one really has any idea.  I know I don't.  What I want to see this fall is something go wrong early in the season. Whether it's against FAMU or TCU, something will go wrong.  A turnover, special teams score, something.  What happens in the five minutes after that play will indicate whether or not the team has matured.  Bad things happen, it's part of the game.  How they respond will show if the ghosts of the 2016 season are still haunting them.  Coach Bielema preaches  "you earn everything" and "1-0".  The players have to remember that.  They played like a 7-6 team at times last season and they were better than that.  They earned those 6 loses because of their play.  They dwelled on the last game when things went south.  They didn't rise to the challenge. That's not "1-0" mentality.  That's player leadership.  That's not what they've been taught. No matter how many times Coach says it, the team leaders have to reinforce it.  Austin and Frank have the offensive side taken care of.  It's up to Dre, K-Rich, and Sosa to do the same on defense.  It was already happening in the spring.  But again, this is all talk.  We need to see it in action.  That's why August 31st can't get here soon enough.
Brooks Ellis admitted that there were guys on defense last year that didn't buy in to what the coaches were trying to do
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

PorkRinds

Quote from: Boss Hog in the Arkansas on May 11, 2017, 10:37:42 am
Brooks Ellis admitted that there were guys on defense last year that didn't buy in to what the coaches were trying to do

And he was likely one of thm considering the positions the scheme put him in where he wasn't likely to succeed from the get go.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: PorkRinds on May 11, 2017, 10:47:22 am
And he was likely one of thm considering the positions the scheme put him in where he wasn't likely to succeed from the get go.

That's speculative. We don't know that. My guess is that it wasn't as much of a case that they (as a group) didn't outright "not buy in" as much as they may have become discouraged and perhaps developed a lack of confidence in the scheme and its architect over time. Let's face it, if you feel that you are faced with what you feel is a near impossible task as a result of a bad plan AND you don't feel that your input is welcome, people have a tendency to just go through the motions.

We saw lots of holes in the defense at times LY that opposing OC's knew that they could create based on our schemed reactions to certain sets. The results of that produced the most big plays that we have given up in years and that does nothing but take the competitive wind out of a defense, especially when they feel that there isn't an answer to the problem. And once that negative mind set is established, it doesn't take much take the competitive spirit out of your heart.

I think that is why we saw times that we felt that the team (and the defense in particular) just gave up LY. And it is an infectious disease that can spread to an offense as well, especially when they don't feel that they have a defense that has their back. But that's JMO.
Go Hogs Go!

HognitiveDissonance

Quote from: LRRandy on May 10, 2017, 03:53:35 pm
http://collegefootballnews.com/2017/preview-2017-arkansas-be-better-than-the-belk

Pretty solid article. Lots of truth.
CFN is always spot on.
I agree with their write-ups and assessments 98% of the time, this being no exception.

This is my commentary now. The reason for the inexplicable stuff that happened last year is that CBB is just not a great coach. He's pretty good, actually, but just not great. A well-coached team doesn't have the wild swings and what-the-? blown leads like Arkansas had versus Mizzou and Va Tech. That's coaching. Same thing happened in Year 1, losing a 24-7 lead to Rutgers. Or losing big leads to Texas A&M two years in a row in 2014 and 2015. CBB is a great CEO guy, but he's not a details guy, and his teams don't handle all the little things well that go into winning close football games.

I do think this year should be a good year, and this is a fine program, I'm just not holding my breath for this program to do anything great in the near future.

PorkRinds

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on May 11, 2017, 11:11:19 am
That's speculative. We don't know that. My guess is that it wasn't as much of a case that they (as a group) didn't outright "not buy in" as much as they may have become discouraged and perhaps developed a lack of confidence in the scheme and its architect over time. Let's face it, if you feel that you are faced with what you feel is a near impossible task as a result of a bad plan AND you don't feel that your input is welcome, people have a tendency to just go through the motions.

We saw lots of holes in the defense at times LY that opposing OC's knew that they could create based on our schemed reactions to certain sets. The results of that produced the most big plays that we have given up in years and that does nothing but take the competitive wind out of a defense, especially when they feel that there isn't an answer to the problem. And once that negative mind set is established, it doesn't take much take the competitive spirit out of your heart.

I think that is why we saw times that we felt that the team (and the defense in particular) just gave up LY. And it is an infectious disease that can spread to an offense as well, especially when they don't feel that they have a defense that has their back. But that's JMO.

Yep. My speculation only. Watching himself get burned on film over and over when he shouldn't have ever been asked to cover guys so much faster than him had to be frustrating.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: PorkRinds on May 11, 2017, 11:51:44 am
Yep. My speculation only. Watching himself get burned on film over and over when he shouldn't have ever been asked to cover guys so much faster than him had to be frustrating.

I don't disagree. Probably pretty frustrating.
Go Hogs Go!

DeltaBoy

Hope leaps eternal in the Spring!
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

Quote from: PorkRinds on May 11, 2017, 10:47:22 am
I wouldn't be surprised to find out it was anyone from the front 7. They were all forced to play against their strength's
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

DeltaBoy

We need a greater dose of Mental Toughness with this years Team.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

ricepig

Quote from: PorkRinds on May 11, 2017, 11:51:44 am

As well as Dre, all a team had to do was force us to cover their slot/RB with one of our LB's, instant success.

HamSammich

Quote from: DeltaBoy on May 11, 2017, 12:39:04 pm
Hope leaps eternal in the Spring!

People don't give enough thought on your posts .... I think you are one of the best here. You stop before you become snarky which is my problem but still smack the hammer on the nail.

PorkRinds

Quote from: ricepig on May 11, 2017, 01:00:54 pm
As well as Dre, all a team had to do was force us to cover their slot/RB with one of our LB's, instant success.

Yep. Over and over. Why we could not get that fixed is beyond me.

LZH

Quote from: HognitiveDissonance on May 11, 2017, 11:44:48 am
CFN is always spot on.
I agree with their write-ups and assessments 98% of the time, this being no exception.

This is my commentary now. The reason for the inexplicable stuff that happened last year is that CBB is just not a great coach. He's pretty good, actually, but just not great. A well-coached team doesn't have the wild swings and what-the-? blown leads like Arkansas had versus Mizzou and Va Tech. That's coaching. Same thing happened in Year 1, losing a 24-7 lead to Rutgers. Or losing big leads to Texas A&M two years in a row in 2014 and 2015. CBB is a great CEO guy, but he's not a details guy, and his teams don't handle all the little things well that go into winning close football games.

I do think this year should be a good year, and this is a fine program, I'm just not holding my breath for this program to do anything great in the near future.

That pretty well says it.....

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: HognitiveDissonance on May 11, 2017, 11:44:48 am
CFN is always spot on.

I'll have to disagree. They were wrong in several ways about last year. Just writing it and saying it is so, doesn't always make it accurate or the truth.

http://collegefootballnews.com/2016/arkansas-razorbacks-football
Go Hogs Go!

Corkscrew Johnson

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on May 12, 2017, 09:19:08 am
I'll have to disagree. They were wrong in several ways about last year. Just writing it and saying it is so, doesn't always make it accurate or the truth.

http://collegefootballnews.com/2016/arkansas-razorbacks-football

They were quality in the late 90s early 2000s.  Then they did some deals with Fox Sports, then Scout, and you know how that story goes.  Talent leaves, analysis suffers, more recycled thoughts/content, etc.  Still enjoy reading it, but you have to endure more high level observations and generalities.