6'10" Daniel Gafford

6'0" Anton Beard
6'5" Khalil Garland
6'6" Darious Hall
6'6" Adrio Bailey
6'9" Trey Thompson

6'8" Arlando Cook
6'8" Brachen Hazen

We can debate switching this guy or that guy, but regardless, that is a Top 25 caliber roster. WPS! Can't wait for bball season.

labb

If Thompson,Jones and Bailey take a big jump this off season, and they should, The Razorbacks will be very, very good.

widespreadsooie

Will not be surprised if Darious Hall is in a starting role before January

rzrbackramsfan

I think cook, Thomas and Bailey will be in a fairly even rotation.  Also, i think jones, garland and hall will be in a fairly even rotation as well.

So many options.

navyhog24

Anton is more like 5'10" on a good day

Foshodo

I think Thomas stays inconsistent and Cook jumps him.

Hawg Red

That 3rd guard/wing spot is where the action will be. I think Macon, Barford, and Thomas are locked in. Hoping to see Gafford start from the jump but can see Trey starting. Big competition between Jones, Garland, and Hall for that wing spot in the starting lineup. Also a chance Beard starts and we go all seniors.

The_Iceman

Quote from: Foshodo on May 10, 2017, 01:25:57 am

What can Cook do better than Thomas or Bailey?

Razorod

Just my two cents, but if the past is any indicator of the future the starting lineup will be:

Beard--SR
Barford--SR
Macon--SR
Thomas--SR
Thompson--SR

First substitution may come at the under 16:00 timeout and then we'll see the bigger guards being rotated in.

Starting cautiously, I'd say Hall may be a work-in-progress as a three, but will definitely get minutes as the sixth guard. Jones and Garland should get 15-20 minutes a game and be ready for major roles in '18-'19.

Gafford, of course, will probably average 20 minutes, virtually splitting time with Thompson (and perhaps playing beside him a bit).

Cook and Thomas will come close to splitting time at the hybrid spot, but I do think we'll see Bailey and Hazen more this year, with Bailey getting some time at the "three" spot.

Twelve players, all who can play and who bring something to the table. Don't know if Anderson has had that kind of depth at Arkansas. Nice to see.
Hoping the Hogs basketball fortunes change for the better this season.

blu

Quote from: labb on May 09, 2017, 08:42:26 pm
If Thompson,Jones and Bailey take a big jump this off season, and they should, The Razorbacks will be very, very good.

There's a real chance Thomas and Cook could make a big jump this off season as well. If that happens, we could get real, quality, productive minutes from the 4 - which it's been a good while since we had that.
"But it is no shame to suffer for being a Christian. Praise God for the privilege of being called by His name!"  I Peter 4:16

Youngsta71701

Quote from: Razorod on May 10, 2017, 06:42:05 am
Just my two cents, but if the past is any indicator of the future the starting lineup will be:

Beard--SR
Barford--SR
Macon--SR
Thomas--SR
Thompson--SR
^^^This to start off the season.

Beard - G
Macon - G
Barford - G
Thomas - F or Thompson - F
Gafford - C
^^^This to end the season. Gafford is a true Center and Thompson is a true Power Forward.
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

Quote from: rzrbackramsfan on May 09, 2017, 10:40:23 pm
I think cook, Thomas and Bailey will be in a fairly even rotation.  Also, i think jones, garland and hall will be in a fairly even rotation as well.

So many options.
So much room for activities.

Polecat

Quote from: The_Iceman on May 10, 2017, 05:46:49 am
What can Cook do better than Thomas or Bailey?

Agree. Haven't seen much from Cook that excites me. He hustles, but not very skilled
Arkansas born and raised. 1999 UA alum

BannerMountainMan

Quote from: Foshodo on May 10, 2017, 01:25:57 am
i think Thomas has a breakout year, he has a great skill set he just had some dumb plays last year, he wasn't that bad, but after the first time he did something bad people were already quick to throw him under the bus
"Michael Qualls with the dunk at the buzzer, it goes and Arkansas wins, it goes and Arkansas wins"

Letsroll1200

Macon
Barford
Hall
Cook
Thompson

Cook was playing better than Thomas during the early part of last season but seemed to hit a wall with poor shot selection. I think Hall can start because he is going to bring some energy and will not take away shots from Barford and Macon.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on May 10, 2017, 09:36:09 am
Macon
Barford
Hall
Cook
Thompson

Cook was playing better than Thomas during the early part of last season but seemed to hit a wall with poor shot selection. I think Hall can start because he is going to bring some energy and will not take away shots from Barford and Macon.
You think Hall is going to start from the get go? Don't get me wrong he has the talent and the skill set to do so, I've seen it, but it's hard for a freshmen to come in and start from game 1 unless he's really impressive.

HF#1

This is the first time in a long time that I am convinced we should be ranked starting the season.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

gogamer

Barford
Macon
Bailey - did anyone else see him defend against NC?  just checking
Thompson
Gafford (If he defends well), Thomas/Cook (if Gafford doesn't defend well)

I know "Thomas is not a 5" but I don't buy the 2-3-4-5 mandate that this board has put in place.

HogBeliever625

Quote from: gogamer on May 10, 2017, 10:02:06 am
Barford
Macon
Thompson

I know "Thomas is not a 5" but I don't buy the 2-3-4-5 mandate that this board has put in place.
I'd start Bailey too, just don't think he's a good enough shooter to be a 3. His athleticism makes him serviceable at the 4.

batmanfan

Surprised Bailey isn't in alot of these starting lineups we are seeing. He only went toe to toe with the eventual national champions for 20 minutes.
Images should not be any wider or taller than 250 pixels, max two images.  use  or  to accomplish this.  Total image width is allowed to be 500 pixels, maximum.  Maximum size of all signature images cannot exceed 100,000 total bytes.

gogamer

Quote from: batmanfan on May 10, 2017, 10:12:49 am
Surprised Bailey isn't in alot of these starting lineups we are seeing. He only went toe to toe with the eventual national champions for 20 minutes.

Me too that's why I posted.  He is a disrupt-er.  Doesn't need to be a good shooter, or 3, or 4, or 7 . . . just get in there and disrupt the game.

azhog10

If Day day doesn't start he will get starters minutes. His improved shot plus his defensive absolute will push him over. The kid is long and could run the point with his ball handling and passing ability.

The_Iceman

Quote from: batmanfan on May 10, 2017, 10:12:49 am

I think he will thrive in an off the bench role. Which isn't a bad thing.

HawgHeadCheese

Thompson will start at the 5 next year. He does a great job at getting his teammates open shots.

ShadowHawg

Quote from: gogamer on May 10, 2017, 10:02:06 am
Barford
Macon
Thompson

Exactly. The 5 spot is almost extinct.

MA likes guys that play multiple spots on the floor as well so saying this guy is a 4 or a 3 isn't accurate.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: gogamer on May 10, 2017, 10:15:36 am
Me too that's why I posted.  He is a disrupt-er.  Doesn't need to be a good shooter, or 3, or 4, or 7 . . . just get in there and disrupt the game.
We need another shooter on the floor besides Macon. That's why CJ Jones will have a good shot at starting. Beard is not what you would call a shooter but he can make open jump shots and open 3's pretty consistently. He has problems when a taller hand is in his face.

Big Nasty 34

Macon
Barford
Hall
Cook
Thompson

Quote from: azhog10 on May 10, 2017, 11:39:48 am
If Day day doesn't start he will get starters minutes. His improved shot plus his defensive absolute will push him over. The kid is long and could run the point with his ball handling and passing ability.

I agree with these fellas. Hall seems to be a great fit with the senior guards. IMO, he can be Manny Watkins 2.0. He just does what it takes to win, and oh yeah, he's extremely long and athletic. I think he has the basketball IQ to get in the starting lineup and will really know his role.

Also, having Hall start allows for a second unit of:
Beard
Jones
Garland
Bailey/ Thomas
Gafford

That second unit would still be very athletic and would be able to score. Anxious to see everyone in action. We should be able to give people problems with our length and athleticism.

Youngsta71701

It's going to be interesting to see who wins the starting 4 spot between Thomas, Cook, and Bailey. That should be a real good battle heading into the season. They all bring something different to the table. In the end it might not matter because all 3 of them will play a lot.

VirginiaHog

niels_boar

Bailey probably has the most potential to make a quantum leap on the team because last season he was a player of great strengths and great weaknesses.  He's potentially the best on-ball defender, offensive rebounder, and finisher (other than Barford) on the team.  However, my guess is that CMA held his breath whenever he had the ball in space or at the FT line.  If he shores up his ballhandling and becomes any sort of shooting threat like Qualls did, he's potentially a beast plus-athlete that can defend at least four positions.
The jawbone of an ass is just as dangerous a weapon today as in Sampson's time.

wavybone

This is definitely the deepest roster Mike's had while he's been at Arkansas. Lots of possibilities. One thing that's interesting to hear about is Adrio playing the 3. If that does happen, I think it means that Garland and Jones would compete for the same minutes. If Adrio can play the 3, here's what I could see to start out the year.

Starting line-up:
Barford SR
Macon SR
Bailey SO
Thomas SR
Gafford FR

2nd line-up:
Beard SR
Jones SO/Garland FR
Hall FR
Cook SR
Thompson SR

Hazen would be the odd man out. One thing I would like to add is that given Garland's versatility, he could play either guard spot on that 2nd line-up or even the 3 on the starting line-up if he's playing well enough. That's something I don't think any of the other guards on the roster really offer. Also, if Hall isn't capable of playing the 3, then you could slide him to the 4 and do this.

2nd line-up with Hall at 4:
Beard SR
Jones SO
Garland FR
Cook SR/Hall FR
Thompson SR

Lots of great options for Mike. Early season results may not be what everyone expects but I think if this team reaches its ceiling, they could do something special.

The_Iceman

Quote from: wavybone on May 11, 2017, 01:15:00 pm
This is definitely the deepest roster Mike's had while he's been at Arkansas. Lots of possibilities. One thing that's interesting to hear about is Adrio playing the 3. If that does happen, I think it means that Garland and Jones would compete for the same minutes. If Adrio can play the 3, here's what I could see to start out the year.

Starting line-up:
Barford SR
Macon SR
Bailey SO
Thomas SR
Gafford FR

2nd line-up:
Beard SR
Jones SO/Garland FR
Hall FR
Cook SR
Thompson SR

Hazen would be the odd man out. One thing I would like to add is that given Garland's versatility, he could play either guard spot on that 2nd line-up or even the 3 on the starting line-up if he's playing well enough. Also, if Hall isn't capable of playing the 3, then you could slide him to the 4 and do this.

2nd line-up with Hall at 4:
Beard SR
Jones SO
Garland FR
Cook SR/Hall FR
Thompson SR

Lots of great options for Mike. Early season results may not be what everyone expects but I think if this team reaches its ceiling, they could do something special.

True, this will be the deepest team. It's also the first time we have had depth and size at the 1 thru 4 positions at the same time.

King Kong

My guess

Starting lineup first game and the crunch time line up because of experience and FT shooting

Thompson
Thomas
Barford
Macon
Beard

End of the year
Gafford
Thomas
Jones
Barford
Beard

MA likes an impact bench. Thompson and Macon play great off each other and would dominate most second teams

Youngsta71701

Quote from: King Kong on May 11, 2017, 01:40:51 pm
My guess

Starting lineup first game and the crunch time line up because of experience and FT shooting

Thompson
Thomas
Barford
Macon
Beard

End of the year
Gafford
Thomas
Jones
Barford
Beard

MA likes an impact bench. Thompson and Macon play great off each other and would dominate most second teams
I agree with the first lineup because of the experience and the "been there done that" affect. All seniors who have been through the fire. I'm not sure about the second one though. I think Macon's days of coming off the bench are over with in a Razorback uniform. Unless of course it's something that Mike does to send a message.

Danny J

Beard, Barford, Macon, Thomas and Thompson will be the starters at the beginning of the year. That's probably not what I would do but to start the season I feel confident it will be the lineup unless there is an injury

The_Iceman

Quote from: Danny J on May 11, 2017, 02:26:19 pm
Beard, Barford, Macon, Thomas and Thompson will be the starters at the beginning of the year. That's probably not what I would do but to start the season I feel confident it will be the lineup unless there is an injury

If Beard actually deserves that spot, then we will be a good team next year because he will have dramatically improved this offseason. If he gets that spot because he is a Senior, then it will hurt us.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: The_Iceman on May 11, 2017, 02:46:43 pm
If Beard actually deserves that spot, then we will be a good team next year because he will have dramatically improved this offseason. If he gets that spot because he is a Senior, then it will hurt us.
If the North Carolina Beard shows up on a consistent basis then he would have earned the spot.

labb

You can bet that the starting lineup at the start of the season will be all Sr.'s. End of the year not so sure, but if we have a player that is going to take minutes away from Macon then we will be dynamite. I think that Bailey has the best shot at getting minutes other than the Sr's.  He was starting to get them at the end of the season. The Freshmen, who knows. I like Hazen from what little we have seen of him. Seems to have a nose for the ball and is said to be a good shooter. Looks like another fun season coming up.

navyhog24

Quote from: Danny J on May 11, 2017, 02:26:19 pm

CMA will want a senior ball handler on the second unit with so many young players. That will be Beard. Beard hasn't done anything in the past to warrant a starting spot.

parallaxpig

Never seen Gafford play. Can he be a 4?
noun: parallax<br />the effect whereby the position or direction of an object appears to differ when viewed from different positions,

navyhog24

Quote from: parallaxpig on May 11, 2017, 05:36:02 pm
Never seen Gafford play. Can he be a 4?

He's a 5. He's athletic enough to be a 4 on other teams, but he's a true 5.

ShadowHawg

Quote from: navyhog24 on May 11, 2017, 04:27:16 pm
CMA will want a senior ball handler on the second unit with so many young players. That will be Beard. Beard hasn't done anything in the past to warrant a starting spot.

He started as a freshman.

Hawg Red

I like Beard to have a big year as a senior. I feel like everyone is writing him off as just a player that is what he is. Hell, I've caught myself feeling that way about him. But we know this -- he's a tough little dude. We know he will bury a 3 at a big moment. He's been playing around 20 minutes a game all 3 years, so he's got good experience. Anderson will lean on him heavily, whether it's as a starter or 6th man. We all know Barford and Macon are going to be the main leaders in terms of biggest role, but I think Beard is next behind them. I think he's the 3rd best player on the team.

poloprince

Quote from: navyhog24 on May 11, 2017, 04:27:16 pm

Go look at that game against UNC again
$PoLoPrInCe$

runner645

2017 Starting Line up

Start of the Season:

Barfard
Macon
Beard
Cook
Thompson

End of the Season:

Barfard
Macon
Bailey
Gafford
Thompson

HogBreath

Macon
Barford
Hall
Cook
Thompson

I kind of suspect Cook is a better player than he showed last season.  Maybe he'll be ready to raise his game a notch or two with a year of D-1 under his belt.  But hey, Thomas played well in the tourney, played his best ball of the season.
I said...LSU has often been an overrated team.

That ignoramus Draconian Sanctions said..if we're overrated, why are we ranked higher than you are?

k.c.hawg

Someone that deserves to be a starter will probably be asked to sacrifice that role to fill a more important roll on the 2nd unit. From what I saw last year if CJ Jones and Adrio Bailey have the normal progression from year one to year two, the like size incoming freshman are going to have to perform very well to get ahead of them in the minutes distribution.
Just sitting on the deck with a cold beer and a hot tequila watching the razorbacks roam.

ArkansasI

Predicting starting lineups in May...  Just guessing what makes the most sense to me, given Mike's propensity to play veterans.  I would start a bigger lineup.

6'3" Jaylen Barford - Sr. (Physical and intimidating player.  Found his groove in the second half of the season.  He presents match-up issues; good and bad.)

6'3" Daryl Macon - Sr. (Really nice offensive game.  Only pure shooter on the team that I've seen, and creates well driving to the basket.  Great foul shooter.  I hope one or more of the freshmen can shoot the basketball... otherwise, the Hogs might be in trouble when Macon is not on the floor.)

6'8" Arlando Cook - Sr. (Drifter.  Garbage man.  Transitional player whose presence on the floor should help the Razorbacks create match-up problems.  Because the Razorbacks lack big men, Arlando may end up playing a lot of second team minutes beside Gafford.  I like Arlando's game, and expect him to play an important role in 2017-18 without getting into heavy foul trouble.)

6'8" Dustin Thomas - Sr. (Experienced role player.  I'm surprised many here predict that Dustin may lose his starting position.  To whom?  Dustin is a true 4.  Reminds me a little of Kurt Rambis... physical presence that stays out of the way and lets other, more talented players dominate on the offensive end.  He'll continue to get a lot of minutes regardless of whether he starts.)

6'9" Trey Thompson - Sr. (Trey has earned the opportunity to start.  He's matured into a nice player, and I suspect he'll play right at half or less than half of the game minutes solely due to conditioning.  Not a swipe at Trey, he is a big man.  He can play more in slower tempo, but I suspect Gafford will do most of the running.)

The Bench:

6'0" Anton Beard - Sr. (Mike loves this guy.  Anton is an occasional starter for Cook when Mike decides to go with a small lineup.  I expect to see him quite a bit in games with Barford and Macon - very small lineup when this occurs.)

6'10" Daniel Gafford - Fr. (I understand that Daniel is a fine player, but he is going to see a lot of minutes simply because of position need.)

6'6" Adrio Bailey - So. (Plays like a 4, but has the size of a 3.  In rotation with Cook and Thomas.)

6'5" CJ Jones - So.  (I've heard a lot about CJ's talent, but he didn't play much because he was a freshman last year.  Is he a point guard or a 2?  Seems to me that his wait is over unless he is completely outplayed by freshmen.)

6'5" Khalil Garland - Fr. (If CJ Jones isn't a point guard, then I expect Khalil to get minutes.  If Khalil is a lot better than CJ, then I expect Khalil to play and CJ to transfer after this season.)

6'6" Darious Hall - Fr. (From what I read here, Darious may be our best 3.  Seems like the first man to come in for Cook when the Hogs want to maintain a 2 guard lineup.  However, Hall could also substitute for Barford - in moments that the Hogs want to go with a very tall team - any number of combinations having shortest player being 6'5".

6'8" Brachen Hazen - So. (Brachen might see the floor if he can add 20 lbs. and perfect his shot.  I hope he does it.)

For the record, I complain quite a bit about Mike's roster management.  I like the transfer from New Mexico - kid looks like an athletic point guard.  Good addition for 2018.  I also like what we're seeing from Scotty.  If he has success signing some of the players he's after, he will have a job soon.

FineAsSwine

Quote from: k.c.hawg on May 12, 2017, 06:01:27 am
Someone that deserves to be a starter will probably be asked to sacrifice that role to fill a more important roll on the 2nd unit. From what I saw last year if CJ Jones and Adrio Bailey have the normal progression from year one to year two, the like size incoming freshman are going to have to perform very well to get ahead of them in the minutes distribution.

Most likely to be Beard that fills the "Huery role" as a guy who should probably start but sacrifices ego and embraces coming off of the bench to help the team.
Hogs up! Covid down!

GuvHog

My opinion:

Starters;

6'0" Anton Beard
6'3" Daryl Macon
6'3" Jaylen Barford
6'9" Trey Thompson
6'10" Daniel Gafford

Second Unit:

6'5" Khalil Garland
6'5" C J Jones
6'6" Darius Hall
6'8" Dustin Thomas
6'8" Arlando Cook

6'6' Adrio Bailey
6'8" Brachen Hazen

Thompson is too good at the 4 spot to start him at the 5. He was deadly with his great passing ability at the top of the lane last year with Kingsley at the 5. Gafford will start in Kingsley's spot.

Mike likes having Senior experience at Point guard so I believe he will start 4 Seniors and the big Freshman.

Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!