4. Barry Foster
5. Felix Jones
6. Gary Anderson
7. Bill Burnett
8. Alex Collins
9. Madre Hill
10. Ike Forte

flippinhogmana

When you categorize 'best' running backs it depends on your criteria.  Imho regardless of system at the time, style or play or era, one name is at the top and that is DMAC.

But below that again imho, you have to look at the other factors because everyone is at best number two on the list.  If you are talking about potential (and some of you are because you mention injuries, etc.), if you want to look at that, I think overall yards per carry, number of carries, versatility, etc. have to be a factor.

For example Dickey Morton was not only the feature back in the hogs system at the time, the entire offense was focused around him.  DMAC as great as the was also competed with Felix for carries, so much so that Hillis got few carries and his main contribution was in pass catching and blocking.  He showed what he could do (when he kept his head on straight) in the NFL.

Bruce Maxwell is another name who's contribution has to be measured in context.  He was a mean dude that was mainly a blocking full back but he produced when he got the ball.  Harry Jones is a back that played both ways if I recall (at least some of the time).

I think I would rank Hillis higher than some of you are likely too for his overall contribution.  When he was out the year that I think that team had their best season, who see what his value to the team really was.  I think they lost three of four games when he was injured. 

Rouse, Talley, Cobbs, Morton, Eckwood, Burnett, Davis, and a lot of other backs already mentioned as well were good backs.  I think if you broke the list down into tailback, halfback, etc, different backs who get a better breakdown of how important they were to their teams at the time.  As far as fullbacks, regardless of system, I would say Hillis, Foster and James in that order. 
Like the erstwhile Clark Kent, my true identity is shielded.  I am an author, Nathan J. Allison is my pen name.

Steef

Quote from: flippinhogmana on May 10, 2017, 09:58:20 pm
When you categorize 'best' running backs it depends on your criteria.  Imho regardless of system at the time, style or play or era, one name is at the top and that is DMAC.

But below that again imho, you have to look at the other factors because everyone is at best number two on the list.  If you are talking about potential (and some of you are because you mention injuries, etc.), if you want to look at that, I think overall yards per carry, number of carries, versatility, etc. have to be a factor.

For example Dickey Morton was not only the feature back in the hogs system at the time, the entire offense was focused around him.  DMAC as great as the was also competed with Felix for carries, so much so that Hillis got few carries and his main contribution was in pass catching and blocking.  He showed what he could do (when he kept his head on straight) in the NFL.

Bruce Maxwell is another name who's contribution has to be measured in context.  He was a mean dude that was mainly a blocking full back but he produced when he got the ball.  Harry Jones is a back that played both ways if I recall (at least some of the time).

I think I would rank Hillis higher than some of you are likely too for his overall contribution.  When he was out the year that I think that team had their best season, who see what his value to the team really was.  I think they lost three of four games when he was injured. 

Rouse, Talley, Cobbs, Morton, Eckwood, Burnett, Davis, and a lot of other backs already mentioned as well were good backs.  I think if you broke the list down into tailback, halfback, etc, different backs who get a better breakdown of how important they were to their teams at the time.  As far as fullbacks, regardless of system, I would say Hillis, Foster and James in that order.

Another good post.

One factor no one has mentioned yet is....strength of competition. A lot of the 60s SWC teams we played,  had losing records...for years. Also, we played fewer games in those days. And...the game was slower.

Another name that deserves to be mentioned is Michael Smith. In 2008, he was the only offense we had.  Petrino literally wore him out and used him up.

You youngsters really need to research Lance Alworth.

EastexHawg

Several people have pointed out that Darren McFadden had to share the backfield with other backs and that is true.   It is also true that he carried the ball 120 more times than any other back in Arkansas history (Alex Collins, who also "shared a backfield", is second).

For all his being the center of the offense,  Dickey Morton carried the ball almost 200 fewer times in his three years than Darren did in his.

interestingly enough, among backs with 200 or more carriers in a season no one has topped Knile Davis' mark of 6.48 yards per attempt in 2010.  I didn't know that until looking in the record book, but it bears out what I thought at the time watching him run that season.  He was as good as anyone in Hog history that year after Petrino made him the feature back.

sickboy

We'll, it's clear we've had some great running backs, that's for sure.

alohawg

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on May 10, 2017, 11:30:50 am
1.  McFadden.  Has to be, on everyone's list.

2.  Jerry Eckwood.   His stats aren't the best career wise, but had he not injured his knee he could have been one of the all-time greats.  Until the game he tore up his knee, he was being mentioned as a Heisman frontrunner.  Elite speed and good size.

3.  Madre Hill.  Eckwood 2.0.  Maybe not as fast, but could do everything else very well.

Elwood was electric before the injury. A guy you stood for on every play thinking he may score.

Edit: Forte, yessir! Another exciting back.
"It's difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on not understanding it."
-Upton Sinclair

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."
― J. Krishnamurti

⚠️ Sensitive Content! ⚠️
https://t.me/covidbc

Snortingred1

This is such a hard question to answer.  The only person we are all going to agree on at #1 is our boy D-Mac.  We've been really fortunate to have such productive backs this last 20 years.  If there is any one position that Arkansas has consistently produced, it's RB. 

1.            Darren McFadden
?. to ?.     In no particular order; Felix, Collins, JWill, Knile, Hill, Hillis, RWIII.  They all have something unique to bring to table and have all been equally valuable to us.  I
              honestly can't rank the names after D-Mac.

bennyl08

Quote from: EastexHawg on May 10, 2017, 11:58:55 pm
Several people have pointed out that Darren McFadden had to share the backfield with other backs and that is true.   It is also true that he carried the ball 120 more times than any other back in Arkansas history (Alex Collins, who also "shared a backfield", is second).

For all his being the center of the offense,  Dickey Morton carried the ball almost 200 fewer times in his three years than Darren did in his.

interestingly enough, among backs with 200 or more carriers in a season no one has topped Knile Davis' mark of 6.48 yards per attempt in 2010.  I didn't know that until looking in the record book, but it bears out what I thought at the time watching him run that season.  He was as good as anyone in Hog history that year after Petrino made him the feature back.

If Knile had carried the ball more, his ypc would have likely decreased some.

It really presents an interesting problem with optimizing play calling. Give a player too few carries and they will struggle to really hit a groove that game. Give a player too many and they can wear down, become a bigger focus of the defense, etc... That's why the backup back almost always has a higher ypc than the primary runner. He's fresher and can catch the defense off guard. Hence the name "change of pace". Dmac was such a focal point of the defense that more carries wouldn't change the focus at all. Only question would be his own stamina. Knile had the benefit of being in a balanced offense such that the defenses couldn't key in on him. However, he was so extremely effective that the defenses couldn't key in on the pass either. I do think Knile should have had more carries in the Sugar Bowl though. Yes, his ypc would have gone down, but Love could not block Heyward to save his life, which admittedly is true for a lot of NFL LT's as well. Mallett was playing prime ball that game to not get sacked every dropback much less complete passes. Knile had 26 carries for 139 yards in that game, but he's already over 5 yards a pop. Few more carries would helped the pass rush a bit IMO.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

PorkSoda

Quote from: bennyl08 on May 09, 2017, 09:05:35 pm
Definitely a modern bias given that I didn't watch much hog ball before Matt Jones era.
same here, I was always a hog fan, but didnt watch much sports until I saw matt jones.  I was in awe, I had to watch every game I could from that point on.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

GuvHog

I'm 61.

My top 5:

1. Darren McFadden - no doubt
2. Jerry Eckwood - Had it not been for the knee injury, I believe he would have made All American
3. Felix Jones
4. Knile Davis
5. Billy Burnett

One of many honorable mentions: Ike Forte
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

bennyl08

Quote from: PorkSoda on May 11, 2017, 02:36:14 pm
same here, I was always a hog fan, but didnt watch much sports until I saw matt jones.  I was in awe, I had to watch every game I could from that point on.

I grew up as the only male in the house. So, football wasn't something that was ever on television growing up until I started to watch it.
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

Youngsta71701

Quote from: bennyl08 on May 09, 2017, 08:27:00 pm
Best in production: Dmac

Best in heart: M. Smith, RW3 and Dennis Johnson honorable mention

Best is size/speed/strength freak: Knile

Best vision: Collins/Felix

Best Hands: Hillis

Best blocking: Hillis
Don't forget about Fred Talley in the heart category...
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

Youngsta71701

1. Darren McFadden
2. Felix Jones
3. Alex Collins

Also I feel Jonathan Williams if very underrated. JMO though...
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

LJHOG

Snorts

Wow.  Bringing back some memories here.  BTW, age is 65.

Remember, everyone, football has changed as far as the running back position goes.  Barry Foster was the FB in a wishbone offense.  The QB and both HBs also got carries.  Foster split time at FB for every season except his senior slate.  He was the best player in the SWC.  He also led the AFC in rushing one year before he seemed to lose interest in football.  Curious story there.

Jerry Eckwood was amazing.  His running mate for a time was the outstanding Ike Forte.  They played in the veer, splitting time and carries with each other, and also the QB.  Forte only played two years (IIRC he was  Juco transfer) and was hurt for about half of his senior season.  He returned in time to bash Georgia, but good, in the Cotton Bowl.  I am pretty sure Eckwood was leading the NCAA in YPC and YPG before his injury.

The word I got about Eckwood and Cowins (they played together after Eckwood returned from his injury) was that Eckwood was hell on wheels blocking the pitch man whereas, for whatever reason Cowins was not, so Cowins got most of the carries out of the veer.  As you all know, I'm sure, the lead back in most of the veer plays is tasked with blocking the man responsible for the QB pitch to the trailing back if the DE takes the QB.  Eckwood excelled at it, Cowins did not.

Bruce Maxwell, the FB in the late 60's Razorbacks, has to be seen to be believed.  Watch any highlight you can get and focus on that big so and so.  He knocks down the defender every time.  I kid you not, he was an absolute monster/criminal/beast from his FB position.

Anyway, the best back I have ever seen in a Razorback uniform is DMac.

Hogs-n-Roses

BOAR_N2BWILD

Phil. 4:13 "I can do all things through Him, who gives me strength."

Hawghiggs

Quote from: sickboy on May 09, 2017, 08:17:47 pm
1. DMac
2. Madre Hill
3A. Felix Jones
3B. Alex Collins

RWIII could have been up there by the end of his career.

Madre was greatness with bad knees.

hog of steele

I am not sure it isn't McFadden, jones, hillis.

And if that doesn't make you want to get a time machine and punch a coach in the nutt idk what would. That may be the best set of backs ever and we wasted it.

HamSammich

Quote from: hog of steele on May 15, 2017, 09:26:44 pm
I am not sure it isn't McFadden, jones, hillis.

And if that doesn't make you want to get a time machine and punch a coach in the nutt idk what would. That may be the best set of backs ever and we wasted it.

Might be the best set of rbs on any team at one time in the history of CFB

EastexHawg

Quote from: HamSammich on May 15, 2017, 09:28:07 pm

Thurman Thomas and Barry Sanders were in the same backfield at Oklahoma State.  I'm not sure who the third back was, but does it matter?

Charles White and Marcus Allen both won the Heisman at USC, as did Glenn Davis and Doc Blanchard at Army.

Quote from: EastexHawg on May 15, 2017, 11:25:45 pm
Thurman Thomas and Barry Sanders were in the same backfield at Oklahoma State.  I'm not sure who the third back was, but does it matter?

Charles White and Marcus Allen both won the Heisman at USC, as did Glenn Davis and Doc Blanchard at Army.
Bo Jackson or Herschel Walker and whoever was in the backfield with them were the best set of backs ever in college football. Per KOD.

EastexHawg

Doak Walker and Kyle Rote were pretty salty.  Walker won the Heisman and was maybe the biggest star in the history of the SWC (along with Sammy Baugh and Earl Campbell), both are members of the College Football Hall of Fame, Walker is a member of the Pro Hall of Fame, and Rote was the overall #1 pick in the draft before spending 10-11 record setting years with the Giants.

justmakeit2thebcs

Only two hogs have averaged more than 100 ypg for their career, DMAC and Morton.  Both averaged more than 5.5 ypc.   Only 8 have ever even averaged more than 100 ypg for a season, the two above, plus Cowins, Collins, Madre Hill, RWIII, Knile Davis and Cedric Cobbs.  Other Rb's who average more than 5.5 ypc for career? Felix Jones is far and away the leader at 7.66.  Others included JWill, Micheal Smith, Dennis Johnson, & Jerry Eckwood.   My list.....

1. DMAC
2. Alex Collins
3. Dickey Morton
4. Ben Cowins
5. Felix Jones
6. J Will
7. Cedric Cobbs
8. Ike Forte
9. Jerry Eckwood
10. Micheal Smith
11. Dennis Johnson
12. Barry Foster
13. RWIII
14. James Rouse
15. Knile Davis
16. Gary Anderson
17. Bill Burnett
18. Fred Talley
19. Madre Hill (only 2407 yds and 4.4 ypc)
20. Oscar Malone
21. Chukwuma
22. Hillis

bennyl08

Quote from: HamSammich on May 15, 2017, 09:28:07 pm

As far as triplet RB's go, Miami in 2001 had Willis McGahee, Clinton Portis, and Frank Gore. Auburn also had Cadillac Williams, Ronnie Brown, and Brandon Jacobs all together for a short time.

Below are the cumulative stats at their respective colleges (since Jacobs transferred) first and their cumulative NFL stats below.

Ark: 8505 yards 53td rush 1943 yards 16 td receiving, 2888 yards 5 td KR,  257 yards PR, 205 7 passing
       11167 62 rush,  4289 11 receiving,  29 1 passing,  2355 1 KR

Mia: 6565 68 rush,  845 3 receiving,  83 KR
       31462 214 rush,  6784 26 receive

Aub: 6984 76 rush,  1030 3 receive,  659 KR,  302 PR,  48 1 passing
        14523 119 rush,  3711 10 receive,  63 2 pass, 116 KR

Arkansas is still accumulating some stats in the NFL with Dmac still active. However, Miami's triplet was by far the least impressive on the collegiate level but absolutely dominate the comparison at the NFL. Arkansas' triplet was the most productive at college and so far the least productive at the NFL, but are pretty close in comparison to the Auburn triplet.

bennyl08

So it depends on how you define best. Overall best would have to include NFL performance such that the Miami triplet was the best of all time. However, the Arkansas triplet was the best of that group at the collegiate level.

HogFoo

#1 is easy..

DMAC.  Not even close. 

The rest is up in the air.  Several had really good seasons, some cut short to injury that could have been up there with DMAC had they been healthy an entire season.

Alex Collins was great, Felix,  wow.  So many great ones.   Knile could have had a really great career.  Mike smith they said before the injury he got as a freshman, looked better than dmac.   He had a lot of heart.  Madre Hill never was the same as his freshman year.  Had he been, he probably would have had every career accolaide Dmac did.  He was awesome.  Same thing with Cedric cobbs.  If he didnt hurt his shoulder in that bama game, and of course the ever occuring hammy problems, he would have been the superstar that everyone thought that he could be.   Same thing in recent years.  JWill getting hurt.  I truly believe if he didnt get hurt right before the season, he would have shown everyone who the best RB in the sec was (while everyone was sallivating over fournette).  Jwill was a stud.  But, injury caught him and he didnt get to have that one truly spectacular year that i feel he was just about to have.   Then RWIII our most recent RB injured.  I think he would have had a pretty good year.  Probably 1200-1400yards.    This is just the more recent RB's.   Cowans was great.   Man, when you think about it, we really have had some very very good RBs in our history.

To me, Hillis also was a complete stud.  I still feel like if he was in the right system, he should still be in the NFL.  He looks like he could still be playing now.  The whole fiasco that ended his time in cleveland was just a bunch of bs.  I really had hoped he could somehow become a Cowboy.  He could have been the next 'Moose'.  Not sure why Jerry didnt take a chance on getting Hillis to sign.   I liked Dennis johnson.  If he could have ever gotten over his fumblitis, he would have been great too.  I still remember the run he had against florida led tebow team.  Man that was great.  Although, it wasnt as great as the power stride JWILL did against aTm on his way to a TD.  That was greatness!  Ran over probably 4-5 aTm players on his way to the endzone?  That was greatness.  I believe we'll still continue to have great ones come.  That's why we are RBU#    I think Whaley will be pretty decent when he gets full time carries.  Williams to me looks great as a freshman.  It wouldnt surprise me if he has 800-1000yards this season.  Hayden looks impressive and he hasnt even made it to campus yet.  He looks to be very elusive.  Not sure we'll see much of him until next season though.  This year will be kind of nervous with our RB's being down a player.  Hopefully we can get some production out of tjhammonds, maybe some time out of juan day even.
Basketball is back, baseball always, football was a dumpster fire once again..... but as the phoenix rose from the ashes, BMF Petrino has risen again!!! Lots to look forward to.  <br /><br />As the rain falls, I realize, that some where out there, some one, is wearing a mask while they shower............

bennyl08

Hillis's problems in the NFL largely stemmed from the agent he hired, not the Browns.