Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Rank our best Razorback running backs 1-3

Started by HamSammich, May 09, 2017, 08:11:58 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

HamSammich

1 - D Mac ..... the guy deserves MUCH more credit than he gets around the SEC.
2 - Cedric Cobbs- from people I trust the man played nearly his whole career injured
3- RWIII - the man is more razorback than me

this is just my opinion. I'm posting this because RWIII is retiring and it's how I feel.

Want to see where you guys rank our top 3.... Fred tally almost hit # 3 for me

sickboy

1. DMac
2. Madre Hill
3A. Felix Jones
3B. Alex Collins

RWIII could have been up there by the end of his career.

factchecker

Stats alone:

Rushing Yards (Career)

1   4,590   Darren McFadden (785 rushes, 41 TD)   2005-07
2   3,703   Alex Collins (665 rushes, 36 TD)   2013-15
3   3,570   Ben Cowins (635 rushes, 30 TD)   1975-78

Career Rushing Touchdowns

1   46   Bill Burnett   1968-70
2   41   Darren McFadden   2005-07
3   38   James Rouse   1985-89

http://www.arkansasrazorbacks.com/football-rushing-records/#sm.00001dh0gz3w3kcxert16yl0tm8zb

But for me personally:

1. DMAC
2. RWIII
3. Alex Collins
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

widespreadsooie

Since I can remember watching- late 90's:

D Mac
Felix
Knile

bennyl08

Best in production: Dmac

Best in heart: M. Smith, RW3 and Dennis Johnson honorable mention

Best is size/speed/strength freak: Knile

Best vision: Collins/Felix

Best Hands: Hillis

Best blocking: Hillis
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

hawgmasta

Quote from: bennyl08 on May 09, 2017, 08:27:00 pm

Benny is pretty solid with all his breakdowns. I concur.

lakecityhog

I can understand the emotions involved, but we have had some REALLY good running backs over the years.
Cowins, Eckwood, D'Mac, Jones, Davis, Collins, J'Will, Forte, Morton, Hillis, Rouse, Hill, Cobbs, Anderson and several others. RWIII could have been one of the really good ones, but will be remember fondly regardless.

North hog

bennyl08

Quote from: hawgmasta on May 09, 2017, 08:41:38 pm
Benny is pretty solid with all his breakdowns. I concur.

Definitely a modern bias given that I didn't watch much hog ball before Matt Jones era.
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

hawgmasta

Quote from: bennyl08 on May 09, 2017, 09:05:35 pm
Definitely a modern bias given that I didn't watch much hog ball before Matt Jones era.

Then we are probably roughly the same age, I'm 29 so I've missed out on a lot of great backs.

ThisTeetsTaken

I think Alex Collins is the most underrated back we've ever had.  He doesn't get the credit for the yards he created on his own.   Run DMC is the best we've ever put on the field in my lifetime (1976-present).    Fred Talley is one of my favorite Hog RB's also.  Guy was all heart.
***"He must increase, but I must decrease"***

HamSammich

Good calls guys. I can't argue really with any of your picks. I'll stand by mine though.

Justagp

Quote from: factchecker on May 09, 2017, 08:22:37 pm
Stats alone:

Rushing Yards (Career)

1   4,590   Darren McFadden (785 rushes, 41 TD)   2005-07
2   3,703   Alex Collins (665 rushes, 36 TD)   2013-15
3   3,570   Ben Cowins (635 rushes, 30 TD)   1975-78

Career Rushing Touchdowns

1   46   Bill Burnett   1968-70
2   41   Darren McFadden   2005-07
3   38   James Rouse   1985-89

http://www.arkansasrazorbacks.com/football-rushing-records/#sm.00001dh0gz3w3kcxert16yl0tm8zb

But for me personally:

1. DMAC
2. RWIII
3. Alex Collins
Thank you, that is a great list - couldn't help but notice J Will missed the top 10 by 2 yards and a touchdown each. I always loved the Collins / Williams duo  :razorback:

Wardhog85

Fred Talley has to be up there. I loved watching him run. He was about 170, but linebackers went backwards when they met him in the hole. He ran the ball harder than any rb I've ever seen. If he would have been 210, we would talk about him the way we do McFadden.

hawginbigd1

DMAC
Madre
Tie Anderson, Jwill, DJ, Cedric ;D

Hogcephus

DMAC is easily number one. In my opinion Fred Talley was much better than Cedric Cobbs. Knile, Felix, James Rouse, Collins, and JWill were all very good. I personally thought JWill was a little better than Collins too. However they were very close. The best fullbacks had to be Barry Foster and Hillis.

PorkSoda

this.  I was about to comment how everyone was forgetting knile
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

BigE_23

1.) DMAC
2a.) Ben Cowins
2b.) Alex Collins
4.) Dickey Morton

Honorable Mention: Cedric Cobbs, Felix Jones, Knile Davis, James Rouse, Fred Talley, and Madre Hill.

Fun Fact - Rawleigh Williams III ranks 3rd in most yards in a season in Hog History.

A fun name that deserves more credit: Chrys Chukwuma

Wmhog

Not top 3 but for sure top 10 would be Gary Anderson.  Followed up with big numbers in the league.

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

Arguably the most forgotten, overlooked, underrated RB we've ever had
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

ricepig

widespreadsooie

Quote from: PorkSoda on May 09, 2017, 11:51:25 pm
this.  I was about to comment how everyone was forgetting knile

Knile Davis had legend potential had he stayed healthy.

Kevin

1.) DMAC
2a.) Ben Cowins
2b.) Alex Collins
4.) Dickey Morton
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

rljjr

DMAC is the GOAT for me.
Gary Anderson is on my list. First round draft pick by the Chargers at #20 (Although a sad story).
Ben Cowans
Felix
Jerry Eckwood
Dickey Morton
Hurryin' Harry Jones
Alex Collins
JWill
It's hard to not list them all, but I do love lists like this. They take me back to some really great memories.

EastexHawg

Quote from: Hogcephus on May 09, 2017, 11:45:27 pm
DMAC is easily number one. In my opinion Fred Talley was much better than Cedric Cobbs.

I agree.  Nutt kept trying to play Cobbs ahead of Talley but Talley kept out-producing him when given carries.  I've never seen a better Hog running back in terms of taking it to the house from long distance when given an opening.  His combination of sprinter speed and open field vision were maybe only surpassed by his backfield mate, Matt Jones. 

The top three question is a very difficult one for me.  McFadden is a pretty easy #1, but 2 and 3 aren't so clear cut.

In terms of production on the field, meaning yards gained given the era in which they played and number of opportunities, I would probably go with:

1. Darren
2. Ben Cowins
3. Dickey Morton.  Morton was phenomenal on some teams that weren't up to previous years' standard, especially his junior and senior seasons.  He also only got to play varsity ball and compile statistics for three years.

That said, for one season...actually about 2/3 of one season...I have never seen a better back than Knile Davis.  In my opinion, and I know it is the minority view, he was better than anyone for a 7-8 game stretch once given the full time job, and that includes McFadden.  He was both a workhorse, tough inside runner and a phenomenal home run threat.  If not for the terrible injury before the 2011 season I think he was headed for all-time great status.

Steef

Good thread.

Ben...you had a good post.

Nice to see some old names. imo...everyone is fighting for #2 behind DMAC. Looks like most of you agree.

One name that Id like to mention is... Bambi. Lance Alworth. He was a WR in the pros, but played RBWR/KR for us. One heck of an athlete.

bhogs05

The top 5 that I have been able to see would be..

1. DMAC-best HOG ever in my opinion
2. Collins/JWill
3. Felix
4. Talley
5. Knile
Bonus: Matt Jones..I know he wasn't a RB but I liked watching him run almost more than any RB we have had besides DMac

Andrew Hogfan

This is an awesome thread.  We really have had some outstanding running backs for a while now.  It's hard to rank them for me after DMac. 
1. McFadden 
2. K. Davis
3. J Will/Collins
4. M. Smith/ D. Johnson
5. F. Jones/ Hillis
6. M. Hill/ Cobbs / Talley

There's just too many, and when I see my list typed out I wanna keep rearranging them.....  We've been blessed at that position for a long time
WPS!!!

BigE_23

Quote from: Andrew Hogfan on May 10, 2017, 10:28:31 am
This is an awesome thread.  We really have had some outstanding running backs for a while now.  It's hard to rank them for me after DMac. 
1. McFadden 
2. K. Davis
3. J Will/Collins
4. M. Smith/ D. Johnson
5. F. Jones/ Hillis
6. M. Hill/ Cobbs / Talley

There's just too many, and when I see my list typed out I wanna keep rearranging them.....  We've been blessed at that position for a long time

You know we had football before 1998 right? ;)

Andrew Hogfan

Quote from: BigE_23 on May 10, 2017, 10:49:22 am
You know we had football before 1998 right? ;)
You serious Clark?  Those are the ones I've seen in person
WPS!!!

FANONTHEHILL

It would be a nice addition to this thread for each poster to include their age.  As Hogcephus stated above, there have been lots of quality RBs at Arkansas. Many of the younger posters may not be aware of several of them.
Favorite quote from practice.  Made to my son:<br /><br /><br />Technique is nice, but it comes down to this.  Block the F'er in front of you. - Sam Pittman 2015

BigE_23

Quote from: Andrew Hogfan on May 10, 2017, 11:02:00 am
You serious Clark?  Those are the ones I've seen in person

Well, I wasn't too serious, thus the ;)

But since you want to get testy, the OP never said anything about "seeing in person." I never saw Walter Payton, Jim Brown, Gayle Sayers, or Red effing Grange in person either, but they're all considered among the all-time greats at RB.

Calm down "Clark". It's a discussion forum.

BigE_23

Quote from: EastexHawg on May 10, 2017, 09:39:04 am
I agree.  Nutt kept trying to play Cobbs ahead of Talley but Talley kept out-producing him when given carries.  I've never seen a better Hog running back in terms of taking it to the house from long distance when given an opening.  His combination of sprinter speed and open field vision were maybe only surpassed by his backfield mate, Matt Jones. 

The top three question is a very difficult one for me.  McFadden is a pretty easy #1, but 2 and 3 aren't so clear cut.

In terms of production on the field, meaning yards gained given the era in which they played and number of opportunities, I would probably go with:

1. Darren
2. Ben Cowins
3. Dickey Morton.  Morton was phenomenal on some teams that weren't up to previous years' standard, especially his junior and senior seasons.  He also only got to play varsity ball and compile statistics for three years.

That said, for one season...actually about 2/3 of one season...I have never seen a better back than Knile Davis.  In my opinion, and I know it is the minority view, he was better than anyone for a 7-8 game stretch once given the full time job, and that includes McFadden.  He was both a workhorse, tough inside runner and a phenomenal home run threat.  If not for the terrible injury before the 2011 season I think he was headed for all-time great status.

I agree with everything in this post...and the 3-year stat fact that you mentioned with Morton is why I include Collins in the same company. He only had 3 years and he did what he did while sharing carries with J-Will for two seasons and competing in the SEC-W. Not too shabby.

Jackrabbit Hog

1.  McFadden.  Has to be, on everyone's list.

2.  Jerry Eckwood.   His stats aren't the best career wise, but had he not injured his knee he could have been one of the all-time greats.  Until the game he tore up his knee, he was being mentioned as a Heisman frontrunner.  Elite speed and good size.

3.  Madre Hill.  Eckwood 2.0.  Maybe not as fast, but could do everything else very well.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

Andrew Hogfan

I wasn't being testy,  I was joking too.  Sorry....
WPS!!!

East TN HAWG

Quote from: rljjr on May 10, 2017, 08:52:25 am
DMAC is the GOAT for me.
Gary Anderson is on my list. First round draft pick by the Chargers at #20 (Although a sad story).
Ben Cowans
Felix
Jerry Eckwood
Dickey Morton
Hurryin' Harry Jones
Alex Collins
JWill
It's hard to not list them all, but I do love lists like this. They take me back to some really great memories.

Great list!!!  Add Cobbs, (FB) Hillis, (FB) Foster and I'm all in. 

lahawg1

I know KD got hurt and all of that but I can't put him in any conversation of the best back at Arkansas. The last year he was on the hill he laid down all year until the last game against LSWho and because of the lack of effort (I know it was Smiley's year) I just can't give the man props.

HawgHeadCheese

Quote from: ThisTeetsTaken on May 09, 2017, 09:19:11 pm
I think Alex Collins is the most underrated back we've ever had.  He doesn't get the credit for the yards he created on his own.   Run DMC is the best we've ever put on the field in my lifetime (1976-present).    Fred Talley is one of my favorite Hog RB's also.  Guy was all heart.

I was just about to say Talley. He was one of my fav. Razorbacks

Birminghog

Quote from: bennyl08 on May 09, 2017, 09:05:35 pm

You missed out if you didn't see Madre when he was healthy.

bennyl08

Quote from: Birminghog on May 10, 2017, 05:33:43 pm
You missed out if you didn't see Madre when he was healthy.

I was only single digits in age when he played. Don't think I even knew football existed yet.

lwillin

I remember Barry Foster being a pretty good back. Maybe not top three, stat-wise, but I doubt we've had any that exceeded his toughness.

Porky McGee

1. D-MAC
2. Collins
3. Felix

All 3 of these guys shared a lot of carries with other backs. No telling the numbers they could've put up if they weren't sharing the backfield as much. That being said, I'm 24 so I know we have had many great ones before these guys.

LZH

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on May 10, 2017, 11:30:50 am
1.  McFadden.  Has to be, on everyone's list.

2.  Jerry Eckwood.   His stats aren't the best career wise, but had he not injured his knee he could have been one of the all-time greats.  Until the game he tore up his knee, he was being mentioned as a Heisman frontrunner.  Elite speed and good size.

3.  Madre Hill.  Eckwood 2.0.  Maybe not as fast, but could do everything else very well.

If Eckwood was faster than Madre, then he was one fast sob.

Iwastherein1969

1) Russell Cody
2) Bruce Maxwell
3) Some guy named Duwop

okay for reals

1) Mcfadden
2) Jerry Eckwood  (when healthy)
3) Barry Foster

Wingbacks  Lighthorse Harry Jones and the greatest Razorback of all time in college and professional, Lance "Bambi" Alworth (literally brought the NFL/AFL from the Dark Ages into what is now the modern game of speed, speed and more speed)  the beautiful game
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

HamSammich

Ill be honest.... you guys have awoken some memories in me... we really might be Running Back U... and I'm not that large of a Homer.

wikipedia brown

i'm 33 so the best i remember are definitely dmac, felix, and collins

wikipedia brown

also, it almost seems like a curse to me that we had dmac, felix, and peyton in the same timeframe. Each one could have been three year starters in their own right, but, had to share snaps.

EastexHawg

We never had a back who combined a better nose for the goal line and ball security than Bill Burnett.  Despite playing basically only two and a half years he still holds the school record with 49 touchdowns scored.  He broke the SWC record held by (I think) Jim Swink of TCU and was on his way to breaking Steve Owens' all-time Division 1 record for career TDs when his collarbone was broken on a cheap shot by A&M's Boice Best during his senior season.

He set the NCAA record of scoring TDs in 22 consecutive games, a mark that stood for at least a couple of decades.

Plus...he never fumbled.  Not once.

I couldn't pick the best 5 if I tried all night.  I remember the Bill Burnett of the 60s.  My memory is he had a brother named Bobby but I am old and might be wrong.  In the scheme of that time, Bill Burnett was money.  Just stack the "I" and give him the ball.

D-Mac is likely my pick for #1.  Beyond that, who knows.  Its just fun to bring up those many names.

bphi11ips

Quote from: 12247 on May 10, 2017, 08:49:05 pm
I couldn't pick the best 5 if I tried all night.  I remember the Bill Burnett of the 60s.  My memory is he had a brother named Bobby but I am old and might be wrong.  In the scheme of that time, Bill Burnett was money.  Just stack the "I" and give him the ball.

D-Mac is likely my pick for #1.  Beyond that, who knows.  Its just fun to bring up those many names.

We're probably about the same age.  Arkansas has had great running backs for 50 years.  If I had to come up with the three best, they would be:

1. Darren McFadden
2. Jerry Eckwood
3.  Dickey Morton

But there are a dozen others who might fit.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.