Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The future of watching College Football on TV/Streaming

Started by WizardofhOgZ, May 09, 2017, 06:12:51 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Jackrabbit Hog

Does this mean I'm gonna have to finally break down and buy an Atari?   Crap...
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

DeltaBoy

I like my Dish and I never messed with that streaming businesss since I never had a gaming system.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Thunderhog Jr

:razorback:

I stream everything with Amazon Fire TV.  DirecTV Now 35.00 per month CBS All access 5.99 per month and Kodi which gives me free network programming via Phoenix TV.  Also My DirecTV  subscription gives me access to The Watch ESPN app free, all ESPN channels plus SEC and SEC+.
Haven't missed anything yet.  Sure beats 167.00 for DirecTV before..

WPS  <br />Remember the days when we were a national power??  What the Hell happened?

Polecat

Quote from: Thunderhog Jr on May 10, 2017, 11:02:20 am

I stream everything with Amazon Fire TV.  DirecTV Now 35.00 per month CBS All access 5.99 per month and Kodi which gives me free network programming via Phoenix TV.  Also My DirecTV  subscription gives me access to The Watch ESPN app free, all ESPN channels plus SEC and SEC+.

What Direct package do you have that costs $35 per month? Looking to do something similar. Thanks
Arkansas born and raised. 1999 UA alum

Thunderhog Jr

Quote from: Polecat on May 10, 2017, 11:50:09 am
What Direct package do you have that costs $35 per month? Looking to do something similar. Thanks

I was one of the first to sign up for the special Go Big package for 35.00 for as long as I stay connected.  If I drop my subscription and go back that Go Big package will be 60.00 per month for 100+ channels.  Their 60+ channel package is 35.00 with no contract and cancel any time.
You might check and see if the package I have is still available.  I have 20mb internet and it streams fine and the HD picture is just as good as it was on regular DirecTV.  You can sign up for a free 30 day trial.

WPS  <br />Remember the days when we were a national power??  What the Hell happened?

razorshark

Quote from: Thunderhog Jr on May 10, 2017, 11:02:20 am

Same here firestick, dtvnow, kodi.  I signed up last november and just last month they gave me free hbo for a year just because I was one of the first signed up.  Also bought leaf tv antenna for all my locals.  took all my Cox equipment back and told them to shove it.  Total cost  are $110 per month including internet.  Have not looked back
I love the smell of napalm in the morning
http://rs218.pbsrc.com/albums/cc30/razorshark50/Napalm.jpg~c100

Thunderhog Jr

Quote from: razorshark on May 10, 2017, 01:08:05 pm
Same here firestick, dtvnow, kodi.  I signed up last november and just last month they gave me free hbo for a year just because I was one of the first signed up.  Also bought leaf tv antenna for all my locals.  took all my Cox equipment back and told them to shove it.  Total cost  are $110 per month including internet.  Have not looked back

My total cost now is 83.00 including Centurytel broad band, another special, before total was 229.00 including internet. It was hard to make the decision to cut the cord, I had been with DirecTV since 1999 and wasn't sure how everything worked, but now, best move I ever made.

Oh yeah, I got free HBO too.......

hogsanity

Quote from: razorshark on May 10, 2017, 01:08:05 pm

Quote from: Thunderhog Jr on May 10, 2017, 01:20:38 pm

My total cost now is 83.00 including Centurytel broad band, another special, before total was 229.00 including internet. It was hard to make the decision to cut the cord, I had been with DirecTV since 1999 and wasn't sure how everything worked, but now, best move I ever made.

Oh yeah, I got free HBO too.......

Gotta ask, can you watch multiple shows at once, and what dvr capabilities do you have?
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

razorshark

May 10, 2017, 03:55:18 pm #9 Last Edit: May 15, 2017, 07:56:27 am by razorshark
Quote from: hogsanity on May 10, 2017, 03:43:53 pm
Gotta ask, can you watch multiple shows at once, and what dvr capabilities do you have?
Well for me, I have 3 firesticks.  You can only watch 2 streams per account but its ony my wife and myself.  So, we are good, if I want to watch a show on the 3rd tv, I just turn off one firestick.  There is a rumor that DTVnow is going to increase the streams.  But I can watch any thing I want while the wife watches some thing else.  As for DVR, it is not available yet with DTVnow but again, there is rumor that they are going to add Dvr.   To fix that I go with kodi and watch whatever I have missed and bonus no comercials.

As for the internet, I only have access to Cox and ATT but that may change

Thunderhog Jr

Quote from: hogsanity on May 10, 2017, 03:43:53 pm

With the firestick and the Kodi app, or Hulu or Netflix you can watch the programming you missed on demand the next day.  Just as good as a dvr in my opinion

razorshark

Quote from: Thunderhog Jr on May 10, 2017, 07:28:48 pm

With the firestick and the Kodi app, or Hulu or Netflix you can watch the programming you missed on demand the next day.  Just as good as a dvr in my opinion

You are correct sir

TDHawgs

YouTube TV has some of the best sports package, but unfortunately you have to live in one of the five cities they started rolling it out in to have it. From what I've heard it's the best streaming services out there and unlimited cloud DVR. Can't wait to try it.

hogsanity

Quote from: Thunderhog Jr on May 10, 2017, 07:28:48 pm

Unless you are wanting to dvr a live event like a sporting event.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Thunderhog Jr

Quote from: hogsanity on May 11, 2017, 08:34:44 am
Unless you are wanting to dvr a live event like a sporting event.

I've not run into that problem..ESPN networks and SEC networks have replay capabilities.  With DirecTv Now you also get access to ABC, NBC and Fox which have replay but to each his own.  This set up works for me maybe not for others.......

STLhawg

Quote from: Thunderhog Jr on May 11, 2017, 01:43:01 pm

I've not run into that problem..ESPN networks and SEC networks have replay capabilities.  With DirecTv Now you also get access to ABC, NBC and Fox which have replay but to each his own.  This set up works for me maybe not for others.......
You must not be a fan of MLB then.  I use Sling TV myself and they have DVR service now for an extra $5/month.  Another option is PS Vue  (you don't need a PlayStation either anymore) it comes with DVR service.  For locals I use a PC with  tuner to DVR shows but there are other options (from ChannelMaster, Tableo, etc.).

DZ

Quote from: STLhawg on May 11, 2017, 06:31:05 pm
You must not be a fan of MLB then.  I use Sling TV myself and they have DVR service now for an extra $5/month.  Another option is PS Vue  (you don't need a PlayStation either anymore) it comes with DVR service.  For locals I use a PC with  tuner to DVR shows but there are other options (from ChannelMaster, Tableo, etc.).
I also have SlingTV / leaf ant. my package totals about $50 a month and I have most channels they offer, soon to dump cox internet and have Ozarksgo fiber service at my house as soon as they flip the switch for another $50.. still saves $100 off of what my cox internet and TV package was. had SlingTV pretty much since it came out and it is great, will never switch to cable / satellite again.

Thunderhog Jr

Quote from: STLhawg on May 11, 2017, 06:31:05 pm

You're correct sir, I can tolerate Razorback baseball but MLB to me is 15 minutes of action and 3 hours of scratching, spitting and adjusting your cup........ ;)  I had Sling TV in the beginning but to get ESPN I only got 1 stream........

Hoggish1

Quote from: Thunderhog Jr on May 11, 2017, 07:10:10 pm

You're correct sir, I can tolerate Razorback baseball but MLB to me is 15 minutes of action and 3 hours of scratching, spitting and adjusting your cup........ ;)  I had Sling TV in the beginning but to get ESPN I only got 1 stream........

Can't you start about 10 minutes later and fast forward every inning break, or are you talking about during the "action...?"

Andrew Hogfan

I cut the cord about a year ago. Was just doing hulu and netflix. I go to my dads to watch hog football, its our thing. But last month i got sling tv and love it. Wish i would have gotten it a lot sooner. I watched all 3 baseball games against Vandy this wknd.
WPS!!!

Thunderhog Jr

Quote from: Hoggish1 on May 14, 2017, 07:38:09 pm
Can't you start about 10 minutes later and fast forward every inning break, or are you talking about during the "action...?"

It depends on the channels, some will and some won't

rzrbk4life

My wife and I are going to cut the cord this next week. We have DirectTV and just tired of paying too much and dealing with contracts. I don't watch as much tv as she does just primarily sports and news
Let's call those hogs!!!!

LZH

Quote from: rzrbk4life on May 15, 2017, 04:48:47 am
My wife and I are going to cut the cord this next week. We have DirectTV and just tired of paying too much and dealing with contracts. I don't watch as much tv as she does just primarily sports and news

Frontier internet, SlingTV, and Netflix costs me about $90.00 a month total and that includes a home phone line with unlimited long distance (which is great because I didn't realize how much I missed using an actual telephone as opposed to a cell phone). And I have a $60.00 Walmart antenna for the local channels. I think you'll like it, I don't see me ever going back to cable or dish.

Rzback

I have a Kodi box that I am learning how to use. Once I get use to it and can teach my wife, I will cut cable and install an over the air antenna for the local ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX and PBS. We will use my son's cable acct to watch the Hogs on Watch ESPN and his Netflix acct. We won't need a DVR because Kodi lets my wife and I view all tv programs and movies after they are shown. May or may not get Sling. Once I'm set up, my internet bill will be $65 a month + tx for 75 Mbps unless I find something faster and/or cheaper. Because my wife insists on a landline, I use Magicjack that cost me $100 for 5 years.  Update... Wow!!! Just discovered that the Kodi Add-On "PlayersKlub" premium acct $5 mo includes the SEC channel YES!!!
Winning Percentages (how times have changed!) Frank Broyles 71%  Lou Holtz  74%  Ken Hatfield 76%  Jack Crowe 38%  Joe Kines 35%  Danny Ford 47% Houston Nutt 61%  Bobby Petrino 67%  John L Smith  33%  Bret Bielema 46%  Chad Morris 14%  Sam Pittman 52%

SoonerSooie

It appears that I need to come out of the stone age of Cable television, which is costing me a fortune anyway.
I have one of the Roku TVs now, but, when I check out some of the options all I get is "This is a subscription service" and I am not gonna increase my monthly outlay.

So, what I am reading some of you guys say is that I need to drop Cable and get Sling, or????? I would love to save some cash, any suggestions would be appreciated.

Oh, I have CableOne-- Southern Oklahoma

k.c.hawg

Be prepared for when cord cutting hits epidemic levels for broadband internet providers to hold you hostage as your cable service or satellite service did previously. Cable companies are already putting streaming tiers in for non cable subscribers in test markets. Believe me, it's coming especially to areas that don't have multiple cable providers available at each door. 
Just sitting on the deck with a cold beer and a hot tequila watching the razorbacks roam.

Thunderhog Jr

Quote from: SoonerSooie on May 15, 2017, 06:43:10 am
It appears that I need to come out of the stone age of Cable television, which is costing me a fortune anyway.
I have one of the Roku TVs now, but, when I check out some of the options all I get is "This is a subscription service" and I am not gonna increase my monthly outlay.

So, what I am reading some of you guys say is that I need to drop Cable and get Sling, or????? I would love to save some cash, any suggestions would be appreciated.

I get better streaming from Directv Now, plus more than 1 stream at a time........try them all and decide for yourself, they all have a free trial period.  Another service I had but dropped for Directv Now is USTV NOW Plus.  It's pretty good just not as many channels..................

k.c.hawg

Don't try it unless your internet is 20mb or faster. 20mb is the bare minimum I would use streaming services with, otherwise it leads to a lot of frustration and buffering. You can do a search on streaming services and compare channel line ups side by side.
Just sitting on the deck with a cold beer and a hot tequila watching the razorbacks roam.

Rzback

I'm 66 and there is a learning curve for us old codgers but for $100+ a month savings I'm learning
Winning Percentages (how times have changed!) Frank Broyles 71%  Lou Holtz  74%  Ken Hatfield 76%  Jack Crowe 38%  Joe Kines 35%  Danny Ford 47% Houston Nutt 61%  Bobby Petrino 67%  John L Smith  33%  Bret Bielema 46%  Chad Morris 14%  Sam Pittman 52%

DeltaBoy

We are paying $170 an month on a bundle from AT&T.  DRV , Cell phone home phones and internet plus we can DVR in all 3 rooms.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Thunderhog Jr

Quote from: sevenof400 on May 15, 2017, 12:31:12 pm
I'd like to offer a slightly different perspective to k.c.hawg - where are you getting that 20MB number from? 
Not that I prefer this, but steaming a device works fine around 8 - 10 MB.  But I do emphasize one device.  When we stream two devices on this connection, it still works okay but there is a slight degrading in the quality of picture and speed of channel changing, DVR jumps, etc.  I wholeheartedly agree with k.c. in that extra speed helps as you stream more devices.

I've also found that my Amazon Fire TV works pretty well and is worth the extra money as opposed to an Amazon Fire Stick. 

My point here is I was reluctant to cut the cord for some time due to my (comparatively pitiful) top speed on my DSL connection of anywhere around 8-10MB but that reluctance was unfounded and I wished I had cut the cord even earlier. 

I agree, I have actually 25MB, although I've never gotten over 20, but I can stream 3 TVs all at the same time.  for some reason every once in awhile my speed will drop as low as 1.25??  I just unplug the power and reconnect the phone cables and it jumps back to 18 or 19

UAfanatic

Do any of you use the cloud timeshifting on your services?

Or do you all have to be there when the show is on?

Rzback

Quote from: UAfanatic on May 15, 2017, 02:06:59 pm
Do any of you use the cloud timeshifting on your services?

Or do you all have to be there when the show is on?
with an android tv box you can watch anytime after something airs, it's like a never ending dvr