Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Williams' Decision All About Family

Started by Mike Irwin, May 08, 2017, 08:14:24 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Irwin

My take on a very difficult decision made by one of the classiest Razorbacks I've had the privilege of covering.
http://www.nwahomepage.com/razorback-nation/graceful-exit-by-a-champion-on-and-off-the-field/709694611

blu

"But it is no shame to suffer for being a Christian. Praise God for the privilege of being called by His name!"  I Peter 4:16

sowmonella

Not trying to brag or make anyone jealous but I can still fit into the same pair of socks I wore in high school.
Proud member since August 2003

SoonerSooie

Excellent read about a wonderful family!

MultipleScoreGasms

Thank you RWIII.  You are a fine young man.  Proud to have you as a Razorback forever!  God be with you and your family.

hawg IQ

Quote from: MultipleScoreGasms on May 09, 2017, 07:16:18 am
Thank you RWIII.  You are a fine young man.  Proud to have you as a Razorback forever!  God be with you and your family.
Best decision he's ever made ! while football is fun for fans, risking one's life is never worth the risk he would be taking.
go hogs go !

Seebs

Even with the gaggle of dunderheads on this board, I am so very proud to be a fan of the Arkansas Razorbacks, especially with how this event was handled.  Almost every post has been supportive of this young man. This will affect our win and losses next year, no doubt, but the fact that we are more concerned with this great young man's health and wellbeing speaks volumes on the state of our fans and the state of the program.

We are running a caring, family oriented program that, in essence, mirrors the family values we believe in as a state.  We may only win six or seven games next year. While that will have a very few upset, the fact that the program does the right things for the right reasons is more important to me than that eighth or ninth win.

We do things the right way and I personally feel that will crescendo our recruiting efforts with players and more importantly, with parents that want their kids to go to a place where they are treated as family, not commodities. 

RWIII is an Arkansas icon and will be for quite some time. CBB is a great man and a fine coach and I am a beaming Razorback fan knowing we are in such good hands.
Arkansas will be a powerhouse football program very soon. I believe this. The fact we are doing it the right way and in a way that will make us all proud and not wondering when an investigation will take place is all the more rewarding.

We all get that sense of justification when that speeder on the highway that just blew past you at 100 mph is pulled over a few miles up the road. That will be the same contentment we will feel as a fan base when we reach the pinnacle on our terms. 
To add a "sig line" or "signature line": Go to your "profile" then go to "modify profile" then scroll down to where it says "Signature" and type in what you want it to say and then click on "change profile". That's it, you're done. Your sig line will only show up on your first post on each page.

jbigs77

This young man will be fine. Get his degree and succeed at what ever he choses. Sometimes its easy to forget, sports is only entertainment, its just a game. Health, well being and family, much more important.

jgphillips3

Everyone on this board held their breath when Rawleigh fell motionless against Auburn.  Then, we all held our breath watching him run in the first game last year and winced whenever he took a big hit.  When he again fell to the turf this Spring we all saw our worst fears coming true.  Combine that with the fact that Rawleigh may be one of the finest young men ever to run through the A and, thankfully, nobody is thinking about anything but his well being.  As a father myself, all I could think about was how his parents felt when he fell again.  My second thought was I'm glad Devwah is a sophomore workhorse.  Never once have I cared about wins this may cost us against what it will cost him if he hit the field again.  He is far more important.  Not to mention, sometimes things like this unite a team.  He will just be our spiritual leader from the sidelines instead of between the hashes but his impact on this team isn't done by a long shot.

tusksincolorado

Reading something like this brings a tear to my eye...

I truly appreciate CBB's type of players that he recruits into our program...
Screw it! I'm an old angry male, live with it!

lwillin

Best wishes to RWIII and to his family. As Razorback fans, we are proud he played for the University of Arkansas and demonstrated class on and off the field. We all stand with him and family in making a sound decision regarding his health and future. GO RAZORBACKS!!!!

The NewEra

Mike, that was a very good piece.  Your and Clay Henry's article on Rawleigh's decision proves true journalism is still alive.

phadedhawg

Good job Mike! 

It's tough stuff but RW3 will be fine.  He's got a great family to support him.  Of course he can always count on Razorback Nation for support too.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: Mike Irwin on May 08, 2017, 08:14:24 pm
My take on a very difficult decision made by one of the classiest Razorbacks I've had the privilege of covering.
http://www.nwahomepage.com/razorback-nation/graceful-exit-by-a-champion-on-and-off-the-field/709694611
Mike, I totally agree. And although I certainly hate losing one of the best RBs we've had in quite some time, it SHOULD be about his future and that of his family. Sometimes it's difficult to remember that we have these kids for at most four or five years; and while we will most certainly miss his immense talent and contributions to the team, we also have to keep in mind that it's HIS future and well being that we should all be most concerned and conscience of.

I'm sure we all wish him the absolute best, both on the Hill, as well as whatever comes in the future. He certainly strikes me as the type young man that not only his family, but his school embraces with total pride. 

bphi11ips

What a great family.  Very proud RWIII decided to represent the UofA.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

hogginbama

Great article Mike and thanks for sharing with those of us out of state. I know this was an extremely tough decision for him and his family to make, but he is looking out for his and his family's future and handled the process with true class and dignity. RWIII's talent on the field will be greatly missed, but I look forward to seeing him on the sidelines coaching up the younger players.

He will forever be a member of the Razorback family as will the rest of his family. This house will not only keep RWIII in our prayers, but also that of his father, who puts his life on the line each time he leaves the house, mother and siblings.
My ole buddy Biscuit has crossed that rainbow bridge. Life sure is different without him around.

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

flynhog

My son and I met RW3 at the fan day last year.  By far the most outgoing and respectful athlete we met that day.  I'm sorry he's out of pads, but he made the right decision.  What a good kid.
Wins are the only things that matter when the game ends.  The mistakes that happen in the game are corrected by good coaching during the week. A season of near losses means you won every game.