Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Would you let your kid play football?

Started by twistitup, May 08, 2017, 01:22:02 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Knowing what we know now - would you let your kid play football?

yes
no
fp

bphi11ips

Quote from: bennyl08 on May 12, 2017, 04:55:20 pm
http://www.espn.com/nfl/playoffs03/columns/story?columnist=garber_greg&id=1722403

Nobody was less of a bug on a windshield than Cambell. How'd that work out for him? Compare him to Marshall Faulk who was much more finesse and whose body took much less punishment.

Campbell was going to hit you harder than you hit him, but his career was relatively short. Compare that to somebody like LeSean McCoy or LeVeon Bell. Physical runners, but you can never get a clean shot at them. Look at Alex Collins or Dennis Johnson. Rarely ever took a direct hit. Now, look at Dmac, he wanted to be the Hammer not the Nail. Injured his ribs playing here and we all know his injury statuses in the NFL.

Are you kidding me?  You do know Earl Campbell played eight years, right?

"Knowing what he knows now, would he have done things differently?

'Wish I had run out of bounds more, something like that?" he asks, gazing directly at his questioner. "No. Because then you wouldn't have Earl sitting here. You would have had somebody else.'"

Here's what Earl really thinks:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/super/2017/01/31/earl-campbell-super-bowl-li-51-houston-oilers-texas-running-back-pain-gain-pro-football-hall-of-fame/97258738/

As a side note, here are Earl's stats from Arkansas's only loss in 1977, a 13-9 loss to Texas in Fayetteville.  I was there, and but for EC Arkansas would have won the NC:

Campbell, Earl       34 carries 188 yards  5.5 ypc

Running backs have the shortest shelf life of any NFL player at 2.57 years:

https://www.statista.com/statistics/240102/average-player-career-length-in-the-national-football-league/

Running backs lead the NFL in injuries by far as a position group:

http://www.thefalcoholic.com/2010/7/7/1467728/which-nfl-position-groups-suffer

It's interesting that of all of the running backs you mentioned other than Marshall Faulk, only LeSean McCoy has played eight years, and he declared for the draft after his sophomore year at Pittsburgh.  Ay yi yi!!!  If EC could have done that in 1976, Arkansas would have won the NC in 1977!!! 

I'll give you credit for being hardheaded, but you're being obtuse.  if you think avoiding contact is the best way for kids to stay injury free in football, you're whistling Dixie. 
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

The Kig

Do we need to separate you two girls?
Poker Porker

SooiecidetillNuttgone

May 13, 2017, 02:17:34 am #252 Last Edit: May 13, 2017, 02:49:03 am by SooiecidetillNuttgone
Quote from: sickboy on May 08, 2017, 11:20:00 pm
You don't play football to get to work every morning on time. A car is a need.

I'm actually glad you missed my real point.

Quote from: bphi11ips on May 08, 2017, 09:00:27 pm
According to a recent study published by Stanford Student Health, baseball has the highest fatality rate for children aged 5-14, with 3-4 deaths occurring annually.  I've known three high school baseball players the last two years who had Tommy John surgery.  The only concussion I ever suffered was a serious concussion playing basketball.  I have painful arthtritus in my right elbow from pitching and had a laminectomy at 43 to repair a disk that ruptured after years of hitting thousands of golf balls.

This is not an indictment of other sports or sports in general.  Most team sports have some element of risk.  They also produce benefits.  Football is the funnest game I ever played, and nothing else was close.  Why deprive a kid who wants to play and loves the game of that experience? 

Thanks for saving me time.
Also, the kind of damage the OP is afraid of seems basically nonexistent until college, and even then extremely rare.  It appears that it doesn't begin to become a real risk until years of large men slamming together enters the equation from the things of read or seen.
His response to me:
Quote from: hawginbigd1 on October 13, 2016, 11:48:33 am
So everyone one of the nationalized incidents were justified? There is no race problems with policing? If that is what you believe.....well bless your heart, it must be hard going through life with the obstacles you must have to overcome. Do they send a bus to come pick you up?

SooiecidetillNuttgone

Quote from: twistitup on May 10, 2017, 03:36:59 pm
Bp, please read

http://sportsnaut.com/2017/04/concussion-expert-youth-football-study-extent-child-brain-injuries-took-breath-away/

Just came out....

No statistics whatsoever.
A quote that sounds bad with no real context though.
A statement about 87 of 91 deceased NFL players had signs of the disease without mentioning that this wasn't a truly random sample but was instead a group composed of players who were erratic or suffering from the CTE symptoms before death thus stacking the deck.

I get your concerns.
You're the father, and only YOU will have to live with the consequences of deciding to let him play or not (your son will have to live with the consequences of getting to play or not).   In this sense, do what you think is best.

I don't however see the reasons for, as Phillips puts it, alarmist reactions to playing through high school.
His response to me:
Quote from: hawginbigd1 on October 13, 2016, 11:48:33 am
So everyone one of the nationalized incidents were justified? There is no race problems with policing? If that is what you believe.....well bless your heart, it must be hard going through life with the obstacles you must have to overcome. Do they send a bus to come pick you up?

bphi11ips

Quote from: The Kig on May 12, 2017, 09:23:37 pm
Do we need to separate you two girls?

No.  I am truly indebted to benny for the physics lesson.  In order to avoid a disservice to young players in the future, I'll ditch the theory of relativity analogy and show them these videos:

The Kig

For all the arguments, very valid data supporting long term concussion injuries, hits like the Atwater video still represent why football remains my favorite sport.  Literally a thing of beauty that excite everyone not on the receiving end. 
Poker Porker

bphi11ips

Quote from: The Kig on May 13, 2017, 12:45:12 pm
For all the arguments, very valid data supporting long term concussion injuries, hits like the Atwater video still represent why football remains my favorite sport.  Literally a thing of beauty that excite everyone not on the receiving end. 

Did you notice his head was up and his eyes were forward?

The Kig

Quote from: bphi11ips on May 13, 2017, 01:36:40 pm
Did you notice his head was up and his eyes were forward?

Yep, solid hits aren't generally where concussions occur.  It's a helmet to the turf, against a knee, another helmet ...etc. 
Poker Porker

bphi11ips

Quote from: The Kig on May 13, 2017, 04:17:14 pm
Yep, solid hits aren't generally where concussions occur.  It's a helmet to the turf, against a knee, another helmet ...etc. 

Yep.  Same with other sports, I think.  Mine was the result of the back of my head hitting the basketball court.  My son's was the result of the back of his head hitting the turf. 

WorfHog

I would, but I'd be really clear and honest about the potential risks. I think, from my experience at least, the good can outweigh the bad. I know I had at least one concussion over the course of my short career. Back then the coaches just told me to walk it off haha.

The NFL and college football need to be extremely proactive about this issue. We need to make the game as safe as possible. Rule changes and better equipment could go a long way to making parents feel better about their kids playing. If nothing is done the talent pool will simply become so limited that it won't be much fun to watch anymore.

Coondog Hog

My son is going to be 13 and weighs 85 lbs when he starts 7th grade. Football camp and August can't get here fast enough.
'The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.'
  - Ronald Reagan

'If we ever forget that we're one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.' -
-Ronald Reagan
Quote from: mmhogs17 on March 08, 2011, 11:02:18 pm
I've had alot of things in and out of my butt, but never Monkeys..

TNRazorbacker

I would argue a lot of the equipment designed with honest intent to make the sport safer has had the opposite effect. It makes them too fearless, particularly the head and shoulder gear. Go back to padded leather on the head and shoulders and take off the face masks and see how many players continue to dive in full speed head and shoulders first.

HiggiePiggy

Quote from: TNRazorbacker on July 16, 2017, 07:48:20 am
I would argue a lot of the equipment designed with honest intent to make the sport safer has had the opposite effect. It makes them too fearless, particularly the head and shoulder gear. Go back to padded leather on the head and shoulders and take off the face masks and see how many players continue to dive in full speed head and shoulders first.

Should we make them slower and 100 lbs lighter?  Because that is the huge difference in eras. We have high school kids coming out that are bigger and faster than the days they were wearing leather.

http://www.businessinsider.com/nfl-player-size-over-time-2014-7
If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

HiggiePiggy

nwahogfan1

Quote from: jgphillips3 on May 08, 2017, 01:29:54 pm
I would let them play, but I would not push them to play.

Exactly.  That is the way it should work for all sports.  Let them decide.  All things we do have some risks.   Boys need an out let so guide them.

TNRazorbacker

Quote from: HiggiePiggy on July 16, 2017, 08:48:08 am
Should we make them slower and 100 lbs lighter?  Because that is the huge difference in eras. We have high school kids coming out that are bigger and faster than the days they were wearing leather.

http://www.businessinsider.com/nfl-player-size-over-time-2014-7

Definitely true of size, but I think this just exacerbates the fearlessness problem. To your point you can't really limit player size and speed. All you can do is try to limit the adverse effect it has on the number of injuries by modifying player behavior. Particularly with concussive brain injury the williningness of 300 pounders to crash into each other head first at high speed is probably the most pertinent factor, not the head gear.

An understanding of repetitive concussive injury, the biggest concern nowadays, is only just recently coming to light. There's very little you can place on your head to protect against this because it's caused by the brain crashing against the inside of the skull, not something external impacting the brain directly. It's the abrupt reversal of momentum that causes the damage not direct impact trauma. That said you could literally wear a tank on your head and still end up with a concussion, particularly if everyone else is wearing a tank.

TNRazorbacker

Quote from: HiggiePiggy on July 16, 2017, 08:57:05 am
so what will we do to prevent all the other type of injuries that happen in football besides concussions? 

https://www.google.com/amp/minnesota.cbslocal.com/2015/08/27/5-most-common-injuries-suffered-in-the-nfl/amp/

http://www.stopsportsinjuries.org/STOP/Prevent_Injuries/Football_Skating_Injury_Prevention.aspx

You won't prevent all injuries, but what concerns you more, your kid blowing out a knee or ending up with brain damage or a broken neck?

HiggiePiggy

Quote from: TNRazorbacker on July 16, 2017, 10:48:00 am
You won't prevent all injuries, but what concerns you more, your kid blowing out a knee or ending up with brain damage or a broken neck?

I understand what you are saying, but there is a huge difference in players today and the ones that had leather on them.  A HUGE difference.  There needs to be something more other than going backwards.  Can't put these guys in gear that was used in the 60s and 70s. Plus who knows what kind of injuries were going on back then. We didn't really start looking at concussions until recent. Hits to the head were probably going on even back then.  It's part of a extremely violent contact game.  People can do everything right and all it takes is a slip and instead of hitting at the chest you are drilling them in the head. 

TNRazorbacker

Quote from: HiggiePiggy on July 16, 2017, 10:54:22 am
I understand what you are saying, but there is a huge difference in players today and the ones that had leather on them.  A HUGE difference.  There needs to be something more other than going backwards.  Can't put these guys in gear that was used in the 60s and 70s. Plus who knows what kind of injuries were going on back then. We didn't really start looking at concussions until recent. Hits to the head were probably going on even back then.  It's part of a extremely violent contact game.  People can do everything right and all it takes is a slip and instead of hitting at the chest you are drilling them in the head.

Yes, I'm not advocating going thoughtlessly retro where protective gear is concerned. I just think it's worth evaluating.

I actually originally heard this mentioned as a factor in an article where Joe Paterno was speaking to it, one of the rare coaches that had coached long enough to notice the behavior differences the gear itself provoked. Several other former players were also mentioned. I've linked it below, not sure this was the original article I read but speaks to the same Paterno comments.

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2010/10/paterno_lose_the_facemasks_to.html

pignparadise

I did and would again. My son played football and lacrosse in high school. He had college scholarships in both. He chose Lacrosse and became a college All American. Now a successful sales manager for a tech  company,  he said that he learned so much about life in football and uses it every day in the successful management of his team.
"The race is long.. and in the end it's only with yourself.....", Baz Luhrman "Sunscreen"

hogsanity

Newer, better equipment is not going to stop the brain from sloshing around inside the skull, and that is what causes concussions. You can get a concussion on a textbook tackle if your head hits the ground hard. Many on field concussions involve no contact to the head by another player.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Großer Kriegschwein

I'm gonna start him on youth football. Already working with him on blocking at almost 4. He thinks it's a fun game to pommel his old man while I'm sitting Indian style.

Whether or not he wants to play in middle school, JV or later is up to him.

Unfortunately, not any teams use a fullback nowadays.
This is my non-signature signature.

HF#1

Nope. All it takes is someone not playing the right way or not using proper technique for them to be somewhat permanently damaged. I'll push my future son towards baseball or something.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

hogsanity

Quote from: Großer Kriegschwein on July 17, 2017, 12:47:28 pm
I'm gonna start him on youth football. Already working with him on blocking at almost 4. He thinks it's a fun game to pommel his old man while I'm sitting Indian style.

Whether or not he wants to play in middle school, JV or later is up to him.

Unfortunately, not any teams use a fullback nowadays.

Yea cause most of the worst coaching and bad habits start with rinky dink and peewee football. Those are the coaches that all think they are NFL level.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

HF#1

If you take the 31% that say no and apply it to a national scale, football will be dead in the not so distant future.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: hogsanity on July 17, 2017, 01:10:17 pm
Yea cause most of the worst coaching and bad habits start with rinky dink and peewee football. Those are the coaches that all think they are NFL level.

I retain right of refusal for crazy coaches.

Quote from: HF#1 on July 17, 2017, 01:10:04 pm
Nope. All it takes is someone not playing the right way or not using proper technique for them to be somewhat permanently damaged. I'll push my future son towards baseball or something.

I will be the only one to coach my son if he plays baseball, especially if he's a catcher or pitcher.

I was the product of bad coaching. Did some damage to my shoulder from bad mechanics on the mound.
This is my non-signature signature.

bennyl08

I think the best way to compare the potential impact is to compare and contrast injuries in rugby to american football. Rugby players have also benefited from the increased knowledge of nutrition and working out and have grown bigger in recent decades. However, they don't wear any padding. As such, while there are still big hits, they aren't as often made at full speed.

However,

http://www.brain-injury-law-center.com/latest-news/head-injuries-rugby-vs-football/

Catastrophic injuries as defined in the article are nearly 4 times more common in rugby. I wasn't able to skim through and find a direct comparison to head injuries, but concussions are still an issue in rugby as well.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

hogsanity

Quote from: bennyl08 on July 17, 2017, 03:43:35 pm
I think the best way to compare the potential impact is to compare and contrast injuries in rugby to american football. Rugby players have also benefited from the increased knowledge of nutrition and working out and have grown bigger in recent decades. However, they don't wear any padding. As such, while there are still big hits, they aren't as often made at full speed.

However,

http://www.brain-injury-law-center.com/latest-news/head-injuries-rugby-vs-football/

Catastrophic injuries as defined in the article are nearly 4 times more common in rugby. I wasn't able to skim through and find a direct comparison to head injuries, but concussions are still an issue in rugby as well.

Anytime you have humans running full speed and hitting each other there are going to be injuries to all parts of the body, including the head. The difference between rugby and Americna football is the repeated jarring of the brain. I can't find the report link but at a recent officials camp we had a section on head injuries. The 3 sports with the highest rates of concussions/head trauma/long term issues were American Football, Soccer, and boxing. The one thing all 3 had in common was repeated blows to the head and/or jarring of the head.

McKdaddy

I loved the melting pot of siociety that can be a lockeroom. I realize other places can also fulfill this role, but this was an area where fb really resonated.
Don't buy upgrades, ride up grades.

"You are everything that is wrong with this place . . . Ban me"

"CPI, ex-food and energy, is only good for an anorexic pedestrian"--Art Cashin

twistitup

http://usa.rhinorugby.com/rhino-rugby-senior-tackle-ring

Huge with H.S. teams in Texas....I'm assuming they are being used nationwide. This is a way to eliminate too many head shots in practive, lessen chance of injury, teach tackling, etc...

Inventions like this might help improve the safety of football.
How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

hogsanity

Quote from: twistitup on July 21, 2017, 10:58:15 am
http://usa.rhinorugby.com/rhino-rugby-senior-tackle-ring

Huge with H.S. teams in Texas....I'm assuming they are being used nationwide. This is a way to eliminate too many head shots in practive, lessen chance of injury, teach tackling, etc...

Inventions like this might help improve the safety of football.

There is no doubt ways to lessen the risk, especially from repeated actions. But they are never going to take the risk of head injury out of the game.

311Hog

July 21, 2017, 11:13:03 am #281 Last Edit: July 21, 2017, 02:54:09 pm by 311Hog
Quote from: Surfing8 on July 21, 2017, 11:08:53 am
Out here in CA soccer and baseball both dwarf football across the full youth age spectrum. 
Football still represents fairly well in the Inland Empire and Central Valley regions, where the general demographic is lower income. 

Sad also that a significant number of the public in the inland empire do not even believe Californians are humans, and are quiet content banging their heads against the wall with a smile on their faces....

hogsanity

Out here in CA soccer and baseball both dwarf football across the full youth age spectrum. 
Football still represents fairly well in the Inland Empire and Central Valley regions, where the general demographic is lower income. 

I help with a local fall baseball league and we have seen our numbers double this year in the age group where we used to lose kids to football.

BigoBoys

oldhawg

Quote from: 311Hog on July 21, 2017, 11:13:03 am
Sad also that a significant number of the public in the inland empire do not even believe Californians are humans, and are quiet content banging their heads against the wall with a smile on their faces....

Sad only if you are not a soccer and baseball fan.

Peter Porker

Quote from: hogsanity on July 17, 2017, 01:10:17 pm

I saw a youth football coach coaching 11 year olds. He had about 15 kids on his team. 12 had never played before. The first practice he was already trying to run plays and was getting mad when the kids were messing up.
Quote from: Peter Porker on January 08, 2014, 04:03:21 pm
Notice he says your boy instead of "our coach". Very telling.

I'm not worried. If he recruits like he did here Louisville will fire him in about 5 years.

hogsanity

Quote from: Peter Porker on July 27, 2017, 06:47:24 am
I saw a youth football coach coaching 11 year olds. He had about 15 kids on his team. 12 had never played before. The first practice he was already trying to run plays and was getting mad when the kids were messing up.

I won't even go call most youth league games because the "coaches" are morons. I have one youth league I will call for because the coaches are helped by the local jrhs and hs coaches volunteering their time. Of course they are doing so because they want to start developing players early, but the coaching is far above any other youth league I have been around.

redneckfriend

Quote from: 311Hog on July 21, 2017, 11:13:03 am

The "inland empire" is in California. There are two (actually many more than two) Californias-the more wealthy and liberal costal areas and the more conservative, and less wealthy, areas removed from the coast, e.g. the inland empire, such as San Bernadino, east L.A. county, Riverside etc.(if you ever find yourself here- get out as fast as you can, in fact if you ever do I'm sure you'll figure that out for yourself pretty quickly- the place gives new meaning to the words "ugly" and "depressing"- with a few exceptions). You can add to this the "central valley" i.e. the San Joaquin valley with towns like Fresno, Bakersfield, Merced- agricultural and also more conservative.

As is generally the case, football tends to be more popular in the more politically conservative areas although there are plenty of great players coming out of the mostly African-American communities in the LA area. The more educated parents of the richer kids long the coast (where a "decent" home will cost over $1,000,000) have long since decided, for the most part, that the risk/benefit analysis of football is not in their kid's favor. A degree from Stanford or U.C. Berkley, without any head banging, is a better bet.

longpig

Basketball appears to be popular in CA too, judging by the number of courts in public parks and on public school grounds. 
Don't be scared, be smart.

Science Fiction Greg

I spend all my time playing Trackmania, and various board games. You might remember me as Corndog7 or PossibleOatmeal.
Twitter sucks now. I deleted my account. I mostly just use TikTok now.

hogsanity

We told both of ours they could play when they go to 7th grade. One did, and one did not.

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

bennyl08

If my kid were to play football, not sure what position he'd play, but I do know the kid would grow up into the goat.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: elviscat on July 28, 2017, 05:23:24 pm
No way!!

Then don't let them get a drivers license and drive a car.................................
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

twistitup

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on July 29, 2017, 06:09:21 am
Then don't let them get a drivers license and drive a car.................................
?

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: twistitup on July 29, 2017, 06:30:20 am
?

There are risks in everything in life. Especially driving. Some of the benefits of life lessons learned by some kids being on a team of any type is more valuable than the risks involved most of the time.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

twistitup

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on July 29, 2017, 06:32:26 am
There are risks in everything in life. Especially driving. Some of the benefits of life lessons learned by some kids being on a team of any type is more valuable than the risks involved most of the time.

"A team of any type"

doesn't have to be football...if Elvis doesn't want his kid to play it's just fine, maybe he plays baseball, soccer, basketball, etc. There are other options for team sports...or maybe he wants to be a member of the band? Every parent should be able to look at the risks and make their own informed decision about football without ridicule from others - it's a personal decision.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: twistitup on July 29, 2017, 07:07:53 am
"A team of any type"

doesn't have to be football...if Elvis doesn't want his kid to play it's just fine, maybe he plays baseball, soccer, basketball, etc. There are other options for team sports...or maybe he wants to be a member of the band? Every parent should be able to look at the risks and make their own informed decision about football without ridicule from others - it's a personal decision.

Of course there are other options of team activities. But what if the kid doesn't WANT to do those others and only wants football. Why deprive a kid of something that will teach them some things if that's what they want to do. Would you not give your kid a skateboard if they wanted it? That can be risky as well. Individual sports or other activities can have injury risks. My brother in laws were not allowed to play football. When one of them have a boy he kind of wanted his kid to do what he couldn't do. He didn't push him that way but allowed him to play and he learned a lot by doing so. Heck the most severe he ever got hurt was snow skiing while in college. An individual recreational activity that happens to be considered a sport sometimes. My wife's niece played college soccer at Colorado. She had to give it up after her junior year due to all the injuries she had sustained. Telling a kid they can't do something that teaches life lessons and is legal and controlled to some degree is not good imho. I believe a parent should't go through life having their kid in a "bubble" the whole time they are growing up. It's a big world and it's important they learn how to live in it. Team activities help in that. I'm not ridiculing parents for only football. Some parents though don't let their kids play ANY sport or have any extracurricular team activities.

HiggiePiggy