• 377,704 Topics
• 21,007 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Listen NOW:Game ON 103.3 

Poll

Knowing what we know now - would you let your kid play football?

yes
no
fp

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 [6]   Go Down

Author Topic: Would you let your kid play football?  (Read 3716 times)

bphi11ips

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • I need help with my footwork, too.
Re: Would you let your kid play football?
« Reply #250 on: May 12, 2017, 04:20:29 pm »

Whatever helps you sleep at night.

There's a reason why hard hitting players are more likely to be injured in the NFL.

Lol.  Are they?

Well there you have it.  For those of you reckless and foolish enough to allow your sons to play football, just tell them to try and hit softer than the other players.

While you're at it, tell them to keep their head up.

bennyl08

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Ever since the war I've had a drinking problem
« Reply #251 on: May 12, 2017, 04:55:20 pm »

Lol.  Are they?

Well there you have it.  For those of you reckless and foolish enough to allow your sons to play football, just tell them to try and hit softer than the other players.

While you're at it, tell them to keep their head up.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/playoffs03/columns/story?columnist=garber_greg&id=1722403

Nobody was less of a bug on a windshield than Cambell. How'd that work out for him? Compare him to Marshall Faulk who was much more finesse and whose body took much less punishment.

Campbell was going to hit you harder than you hit him, but his career was relatively short. Compare that to somebody like LeSean McCoy or LeVeon Bell. Physical runners, but you can never get a clean shot at them. Look at Alex Collins or Dennis Johnson. Rarely ever took a direct hit. Now, look at Dmac, he wanted to be the Hammer not the Nail. Injured his ribs playing here and we all know his injury statuses in the NFL.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...
Your browser is archaic. Your browser is antiquated. Your browser... it FILS! Update it, please.

bphi11ips

« Reply #252 on: May 12, 2017, 05:47:46 pm »

http://www.espn.com/nfl/playoffs03/columns/story?columnist=garber_greg&id=1722403

Nobody was less of a bug on a windshield than Cambell. How'd that work out for him? Compare him to Marshall Faulk who was much more finesse and whose body took much less punishment.

Campbell was going to hit you harder than you hit him, but his career was relatively short. Compare that to somebody like LeSean McCoy or LeVeon Bell. Physical runners, but you can never get a clean shot at them. Look at Alex Collins or Dennis Johnson. Rarely ever took a direct hit. Now, look at Dmac, he wanted to be the Hammer not the Nail. Injured his ribs playing here and we all know his injury statuses in the NFL.

Are you kidding me?  You do know Earl Campbell played eight years, right?

"Knowing what he knows now, would he have done things differently?

'Wish I had run out of bounds more, something like that?" he asks, gazing directly at his questioner. "No. Because then you wouldn't have Earl sitting here. You would have had somebody else.'"

Here's what Earl really thinks:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/super/2017/01/31/earl-campbell-super-bowl-li-51-houston-oilers-texas-running-back-pain-gain-pro-football-hall-of-fame/97258738/

As a side note, here are Earl's stats from Arkansas's only loss in 1977, a 13-9 loss to Texas in Fayetteville.  I was there, and but for EC Arkansas would have won the NC:

Campbell, Earl       34 carries 188 yards  5.5 ypc

Running backs have the shortest shelf life of any NFL player at 2.57 years:

https://www.statista.com/statistics/240102/average-player-career-length-in-the-national-football-league/

Running backs lead the NFL in injuries by far as a position group:

http://www.thefalcoholic.com/2010/7/7/1467728/which-nfl-position-groups-suffer

It's interesting that of all of the running backs you mentioned other than Marshall Faulk, only LeSean McCoy has played eight years, and he declared for the draft after his sophomore year at Pittsburgh.  Ay yi yi!!!  If EC could have done that in 1976, Arkansas would have won the NC in 1977!!! 

I'll give you credit for being hardheaded, but you're being obtuse.  if you think avoiding contact is the best way for kids to stay injury free in football, you're whistling Dixie. 

The Kig

• Hogvillian
  • Hogville Heroes
« Reply #253 on: May 12, 2017, 09:23:37 pm »

Do we need to separate you two girls?

SooiecidetillNuttgone

• Melyssa Forde. Simply One of the Greatest.
« Reply #254 on: May 13, 2017, 02:17:34 am »

You don't play football to get to work every morning on time. A car is a need.

I'm actually glad you missed my real point.

According to a recent study published by Stanford Student Health, baseball has the highest fatality rate for children aged 5-14, with 3-4 deaths occurring annually.  I've known three high school baseball players the last two years who had Tommy John surgery.  The only concussion I ever suffered was a serious concussion playing basketball.  I have painful arthtritus in my right elbow from pitching and had a laminectomy at 43 to repair a disk that ruptured after years of hitting thousands of golf balls.

This is not an indictment of other sports or sports in general.  Most team sports have some element of risk.  They also produce benefits.  Football is the funnest game I ever played, and nothing else was close.  Why deprive a kid who wants to play and loves the game of that experience? 

Thanks for saving me time.
Also, the kind of damage the OP is afraid of seems basically nonexistent until college, and even then extremely rare.  It appears that it doesn't begin to become a real risk until years of large men slamming together enters the equation from the things of read or seen.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2017, 02:49:03 am by SooiecidetillNuttgone »

SooiecidetillNuttgone

• Melyssa Forde. Simply One of the Greatest.
« Reply #255 on: May 13, 2017, 02:48:29 am »

Bp, please read

http://sportsnaut.com/2017/04/concussion-expert-youth-football-study-extent-child-brain-injuries-took-breath-away/

Just came out....

No statistics whatsoever.
A quote that sounds bad with no real context though.
A statement about 87 of 91 deceased NFL players had signs of the disease without mentioning that this wasn't a truly random sample but was instead a group composed of players who were erratic or suffering from the CTE symptoms before death thus stacking the deck.

I get your concerns.
You're the father, and only YOU will have to live with the consequences of deciding to let him play or not (your son will have to live with the consequences of getting to play or not).   In this sense, do what you think is best.

I don't however see the reasons for, as Phillips puts it, alarmist reactions to playing through high school.

bphi11ips

« Reply #256 on: May 13, 2017, 11:14:52 am »

Do we need to separate you two girls?

No.  I am truly indebted to benny for the physics lesson.  In order to avoid a disservice to young players in the future, I'll ditch the theory of relativity analogy and show them these videos:

The Kig

• Hogvillian
  • Hogville Heroes
« Reply #257 on: May 13, 2017, 12:45:12 pm »

For all the arguments, very valid data supporting long term concussion injuries, hits like the Atwater video still represent why football remains my favorite sport.  Literally a thing of beauty that excite everyone not on the receiving end. 

bphi11ips

« Reply #258 on: May 13, 2017, 01:36:40 pm »

For all the arguments, very valid data supporting long term concussion injuries, hits like the Atwater video still represent why football remains my favorite sport.  Literally a thing of beauty that excite everyone not on the receiving end. 

Did you notice his head was up and his eyes were forward?

The Kig

• Hogvillian
  • Hogville Heroes
« Reply #259 on: May 13, 2017, 04:17:14 pm »

Did you notice his head was up and his eyes were forward?

Yep, solid hits aren't generally where concussions occur.  It's a helmet to the turf, against a knee, another helmet ...etc. 

bphi11ips

« Reply #260 on: May 13, 2017, 05:15:33 pm »

Yep, solid hits aren't generally where concussions occur.  It's a helmet to the turf, against a knee, another helmet ...etc. 

Yep.  Same with other sports, I think.  Mine was the result of the back of my head hitting the basketball court.  My son's was the result of the back of his head hitting the turf. 

WorfHog

• All-American Hogvillian
  • tIqIpqu' 'ej nom tIqIp
« Reply #261 on: May 13, 2017, 05:24:24 pm »

I would, but I'd be really clear and honest about the potential risks. I think, from my experience at least, the good can outweigh the bad. I know I had at least one concussion over the course of my short career. Back then the coaches just told me to walk it off haha.

The NFL and college football need to be extremely proactive about this issue. We need to make the game as safe as possible. Rule changes and better equipment could go a long way to making parents feel better about their kids playing. If nothing is done the talent pool will simply become so limited that it won't be much fun to watch anymore.

Coondog Hog

• All-American Hogvillian
  • Finish the dream.
« Reply #262 on: May 15, 2017, 11:31:30 pm »

My son is going to be 13 and weighs 85 lbs when he starts 7th grade. Football camp and August can't get here fast enough.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 [6]   Go Up

Your browser is archaic. Your browser is antiquated. Your browser... it FILS! Update it, please.
Your browser is archaic. Your browser is antiquated. Your browser... it FILS! Update it, please. KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas