Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

easiest FBS non conference schedules- Hogs #8

Started by Hogwild, May 02, 2017, 12:47:53 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

LRRandy

Quote from: Hawgar The Horrible on May 03, 2017, 10:59:45 am
Michigan and Ohio State need Top 10 OOC opponents more than any SEC team does.
keep believing that. The myth of current sec dominance is just that a myth. The league needs a strong season in 2017 or the profile of the league will continue to slide. Only having one team to win more than 8 games backed up by a sub .500 bowl performance was a punch to the gut. If it doesn't get better this year the big 1 little 13 narrative grows stronger. The great 7 year run was a show of dominance by a conference unparalleled in college football history. No one can take away from that. It however starting become a distant memory with Alabama the only one carrying the torch. There is what you believe, and then there is the reality that was the sec last season.
This is fun, isn't it.

Hawgar The Horrible

Quote from: LRRandy on May 03, 2017, 11:09:26 am
keep believing that. The myth of current sec dominance is just that a myth. The league needs a strong season in 2017 or the profile of the league will continue to slide. Only having one team to win more than 8 games backed up by a sub .500 bowl performance was a lunch to the gut. If it doesn't get better this year the big 1 little 13 narrative grows stronger. The great 7 year run was a show of dominance by a conference unparalleled in college football history. No one can take away from that. It however starting become a distant memory with Alabama the only one carrying the torch. There is what you believe, and then there is the reality that was the sec last season.

Do you always define a trend using one data point?
There are fans and there are supporters. The latter carries the weight.

Hog Fan...DOH!

Quote from: LRRandy on May 03, 2017, 11:09:26 am
keep believing that. The myth of current sec dominance is just that a myth. The league needs a strong season in 2017 or the profile of the league will continue to slide. Only having one team to win more than 8 games backed up by a sub .500 bowl performance was a lunch to the gut. If it doesn't get better this year the big 1 little 13 narrative grows stronger. The great 7 year run was a show of dominance by a conference unparalleled in college football history. No one can take away from that. It however starting become a distant memory with Alabama the only one carrying the torch. There is what you believe, and then there is the reality that was the sec last season.

What have you done for me "lately" has turned into a "what have you done for me since the last scoring drive?"

ricepig

Quote from: Hawgar The Horrible on May 03, 2017, 11:12:38 am

Shoot man, one year is a trend, the Cubs won't lose again.....

LRRandy

Quote from: Hawgar The Horrible on May 03, 2017, 11:12:38 am
ok. Auburn did play and lost the national title game in 2013. Since then Alabama is the lone sec team to play for and win a national title. Going back 6 years, only Alabama has won a national title. Contrast that to the 7 years that 5 different sec teams won a national title in consecutive years. A run like the sec went on, as I have already stated, is unmatched. The downturn had to happen. Burry your head in the sand if it makes you feel better. The last six years is a slide compared to the 6 that preceded it. Not one data point. One team doing anything of relevance.
This is fun, isn't it.

gchamblee

Quote from: Hogtimes on May 03, 2017, 09:50:07 am
Michigan was not on this year's schedule

i didn't imply that they were, and you completely missed the point of my post.

gchamblee

Quote from: 3kgthog on May 03, 2017, 10:22:27 am
Zero reason to schedule teams like FAMU. Another run of the mill FBS school wasn't available to buy out of another contract?

The team gets nothing out of it and neither does the UA with games like that killing attendance and concession sales. One season vs teams like that would barely be understandable to me, but aren't we scheduling an FCS school every year for the next several years?

i personally think all top programs that have a large fan base should schedule 1 FCS team every year. It is a good way to funnel some of the money from the top down to the bottom. a game against us could fund that teams entire year and be the difference between having a football team or not. those programs that are enjoying financial success should quit turning their noses up to the lower tier programs that want to have a football team but are struggling to fund it. the more of these teams that get disbanded, the more college opportunities that vanish for students that couldn't otherwise afford to pursue higher education.

gchamblee

Quote from: LRRandy on May 03, 2017, 10:46:22 am
not really. An undefeated team from any P5 conference makes the playoff. Non conference games against any opponent doesn't matter if you win all of your games. However, if your goal is in fact to play for and win a national championship one marque non conference win will help your resume when it comes to choosing the teams for the playoff. The narrative of rewarding teams that schedule premier out of conference games and holding cupcake schedules against teams that play them is real. A one loss sec team that plays  a cupcake schedule may not get in over a one loss P5 team that won a top 10  OOC matchup. The benefit of the doubt that the sec used to get is eroding. Unless there is a win against Alabama, that is a trump card. Schedules matter if you play at the highest level.

i think arkansas agrees, since we have been scheduling quality p5 ooc teams every year. those that think TCU is a lower tier team have not being watching football very closely.

LRRandy

Quote from: gchamblee on May 03, 2017, 11:31:21 am
i think arkansas agrees, since we have been scheduling quality p5 ooc teams every year. those that think TCU is a lower tier team have not being watching football very closely.
the scheduling of Xichigan showed that they are trying to create more marquee games. Most of the top sec schools play a game against a top program. Atkansas seems to be trying to upgrade their schedule. These things are done so far out though you are not always sure how strong a team will be when the game actually rolls around.
This is fun, isn't it.

The Hogfather

Quote from: LRRandy on May 03, 2017, 10:46:22 am
not really. An undefeated team from any P5 conference makes the playoff. Non conference games against any opponent doesn't matter if you win all of your games. However, if your goal is in fact to play for and win a national championship one marque non conference win will help your resume when it comes to choosing the teams for the playoff. The narrative of rewarding teams that schedule premier out of conference games and holding cupcake schedules against teams that play them is real. A one loss sec team that plays  a cupcake schedule may not get in over a one loss P5 team that won a top 10  OOC matchup. The benefit of the doubt that the sec used to get is eroding. Unless there is a win against Alabama, that is a trump card. Schedules matter if you play at the highest level.

Bull.  As long as the SEC is not in a down year (and likely even in a down year), an SEC team with one loss gets in.  Those arguments are ridiculous. 

"I know you played 7 teams that ended the season in the top 15, but you didn't play a top 10 team outside of your conference!  Therefore, you don't deserve to be in over Wisconsin, who only could play who was on their schedule.  They can't help that the Big 10 was terrible.  They beat them all.  AND, they beat #10 USC in the non-conference.  Yeah, that was the only ranked team they beat all year, but it was out-of-conference!"

LRRandy

Quote from: The Hogfather on May 03, 2017, 11:37:07 am
Bull.  As long as the SEC is not in a down year (and likely even in a down year), an SEC team with one loss gets in.  Those arguments are ridiculous. 

"I know you played 7 teams that ended the season in the top 15, but you didn't play a top 10 team outside of your conference!"
the Oklahoma game was a top 10 matchup (6 v 5). It was that win,on the road, that made the resume strong enough to overcome a loss.
This is fun, isn't it.

LRRandy

Quote from: The Hogfather on May 03, 2017, 11:37:07 am

"I know you played 7 teams that ended the season in the top 15, but you didn't play a top 10 team outside of your conference!  Therefore, you don't deserve to be in over Wisconsin, who only could play who was on their schedule.  They can't help that the Big 10 was terrible.  They beat them all.  AND, they beat #10 USC in the non-conference.  Yeah, that was the only ranked team they beat all year, but it was out-of-conference!"
you should have stopped before you added all of the fail to your first response. So much fail that I don't know where to start. I addressed the game against a top 5 team that was contrary to your assertion that tOSU didn't play a team in the top 15. Wisconsin beat LSU not USC. I am going to guess you were referring to getting in over Penn St. who in fact lost to USC. You can state how bad the B1G was but finishing with 4 teams that won 10 or more games and 3 teams finish in the top 10 puts them well ahead of the sec, so there's that. It's probably safer for you with your head back in the sand.
This is fun, isn't it.

Pork Twain

Honestly, who gives a flying darn?  If we win every SEC game, that OOC schedule will not mean jack.  Everyone has to have something to bitch about I guess.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

Ex-Trumpet

Our OOC games since Johnelle have never been automatic wins...ULM, Rutgers, and TT, who "kicked our ass."
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

LRRandy

Quote from: Pork Twain on May 03, 2017, 12:03:14 pm
Honestly, who gives a flying darn?  If we win every SEC game, that OOC schedule will not mean jack.  Everyone has to have something to bitch about I guess.
that is exactly right and I stated such in my first post. However, how many teams go undefeated each season. 2 is rare. 3 never happens. 4 playoff spots. Schedules matter if you want to play for a championship.
This is fun, isn't it.

Al Boarland

Quote from: LRRandy on May 03, 2017, 12:08:00 pm
that is exactly right and I stated such in my first post. However, how many teams go undefeated each season. 2 is rare. 3 never happens. 4 playoff spots. Schedules matter if you want to play for a championship.

We aren't in a position to care about resume at this point.

Pork Twain

Quote from: LRRandy on May 03, 2017, 12:08:00 pm
If we win the SEC and all those cupcakes, it will not matter.  If we don't win the SEC but win all those cupcakes, it still does not matter.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

The Hogfather

Quote from: LRRandy on May 03, 2017, 11:55:48 am
you should have stopped before you added all of the fail to your first response. So much fail that I don't know where to start. I addressed the game against a top 5 team that was contrary to your assertion that tOSU didn't play a team in the top 15. Wisconsin beat LSU not USC. I am going to guess you were referring to getting in over Penn St. who in fact lost to USC. You can state how bad the B1G was but finishing with 4 teams that won 10 or more games and 3 teams finish in the top 10 puts them well ahead of the sec, so there's that. It's probably safer for you with your head back in the sand.

I made up a scenario.  I wasn't referring to a specific team or year.  Those are the types of arguments we hear every year in regards to why _________ should get in over an SEC team with the same record.  It is always some team who didn't play anyone in at least 10 of their games, but beat someone out-of-conference, and they use that to attempt to make the case they should be in over the SEC team.  They always say things like, "We can't help the fact our conference was terrible this year.  We can only play and beat who is on our schedule.  We went out and beat #10 OOC.  The SEC team didn't play anyone OOC!  AND, they played an FCS team.  How WEAK!".  They ALWAYS, ALWAYS leave out the fact that if you look at the SEC team's full schedule, they actually played 8 ranked teams, usually many, many more than ________ team that is bitching about the SEC's weak OOC schedule.

SEC teams rarely, if ever, play "cupcake schedules".  Only if you look at the OOC portions of some SEC schedules.  And, as I've been saying, it is completely idiotic to point to only the OOC portion of schedules as a sign of weakness.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: Hogwild on May 02, 2017, 12:47:53 pm
The USAToday ranked the 10 teams with the easiest non conference schedules, 4 were from the SEC, Mizzou, Ole Miss, and Miss. State
No need to stack the nonconference schedule when the SEC and the SEC West schedule is already stacked.
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

Youngsta71701

Quote from: gchamblee on May 02, 2017, 01:08:41 pm
It's not like we aren't trying. Michigan cancelled on us. We cant be accused of wanting creampuffs after we tried to schedule a loss 2 years in a row.
Lol...Funny...I caught that.

LRRandy

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on May 03, 2017, 12:49:19 pm
No need to stack the nonconference schedule when the SEC and the SEC West schedule is already stacked.
there are 3 sec west teams in the ESPN post spring too early top 25 poll. 25% of your schedule is against ranked teams. that is what you call stacked?
This is fun, isn't it.

The Hogfather

Quote from: LRRandy on May 03, 2017, 01:02:38 pm
there are 3 sec west teams in the ESPN post spring too early top 25 poll. 25% of your schedule is against ranked teams. that is what you call stacked?

I'll make a bet with you.  If Arkansas plays 3 or less teams that end the season in the top 25, I will not post for a year.  If Arkansas plays 4 or more teams that end the season in the top 25, you can't post for a year.  You down?

Youngsta71701

Quote from: LRRandy on May 03, 2017, 01:02:38 pm
There is only 7 teams in the SEC West and almost half of them are in the top 25 and hopefully we will be also when it's all said and done. So yes I call that stacked. No SEC win is a given. We all should know that by now but I guess we never learn.

Cinco de Hogo

As long as you only schedule two glorified scrimmages your fine.  One for the first game to knock the dust off and one later in the season to get a little rest.  Of the other two, one should be a test and the other a dogfight.  JMO

Youngsta71701

Quote from: The Hogfather on May 03, 2017, 01:15:24 pm
I'll make a bet with you.  If Arkansas plays 3 or less teams that end the season in the top 25, I will not post for a year.  If Arkansas plays 4 or more teams that end the season in the top 25, you can't post for a year.  You down?
Lord knows I hope he takes that bet. It will be bye bye Randy!

LRRandy

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on May 03, 2017, 01:18:00 pm
There is only 7 teams in the SEC West and almost half of them are in the top 25 and hopefully we will be also when it's all said and done. So yes I call that stacked. No SEC win is a given. We all should know that by now but I guess we never learn.
as opposed to years when 5 or 6 of the 7 teams had been ranked. There is another data point to show the declining power of the sec.
This is fun, isn't it.

The Hogfather

Quote from: LRRandy on May 03, 2017, 02:37:13 pm
as opposed to years when 5 or 6 of the 7 teams had been ranked. There is another data point to show the declining power of the sec.

The Way Too Early, Post Spring Top 25 poll is a sign of declining power?  You are a trip.

What about the NFL Draft results?  What does that show?

LRRandy

Quote from: The Hogfather on May 03, 2017, 02:47:39 pm
The Way Too Early, Post Spring Top 25 poll is a sign of declining power?  You are a trip.

What about the NFL Draft results?  What does that show?
population shift to the south and poor coaching.
This is fun, isn't it.

code red

I'd worry less about the schedule and try fielding a serviceable defense.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

Hawgar The Horrible

Quote from: code red on May 03, 2017, 02:59:25 pm

Try how? Like "firing" a D Coordinator and implementing a new scheme? They should get right on that.

gchamblee

Quote from: code red on May 03, 2017, 02:59:25 pm

Those discussing the schedule have nothing to do with coaching/playing for the UofA. Who exactly is it that you want to work on our defense that is discussing our schedule? The media? The fans?

You didn't think this little nugget of stupid through before you hit post did you :)

Hawgar The Horrible

Quote from: gchamblee on May 03, 2017, 04:03:30 pm
Those discussing the schedule have nothing to do with coaching/playing for the UofA. Who exactly is it that you want to work on our defense that is discussing our schedule? The media? The fans?

You didn't think this little nugget of stupid through before you hit post did you :)

Cyber *fist bump*

Sivad

TCU plus the SEC West - one of the very toughest schedules in the country.

Hawgar The Horrible

Quote from: The ColonelHog on May 03, 2017, 04:30:26 pm
You can't be serious?  The media, who influences conference perception, who influences season long polls, which influences the initial BCS poll is starting to jump off "the tough SEC" bandwagon.  Last time I checked we lost to TT, OSU has finished in the T25 for the last 7 years and usually win a top tier bowl game, and Baylor?  Do you REALLY think USCe could even lace their cleats?  Kansas is nothing more than Vandy or UK and Iowa State is nothing less than Missery.  Of that list I see 2 guaranteed losses!  The tough SEC narrative is getting old because the SEC for the last few years has been nothing more than Bama and everyone else.

Horse hockey. Outside of Auburn, MS State and Vandy, the SEC is comprised of STATE Universities...flagships. Every team you mentioned would get dirt rolled trying to compete in the SEC week in and week out.

LZH

Quote from: Ex-Trumpet on May 03, 2017, 07:29:47 am
Crap, I'd love to see us start beating the shart outta Texas once a year there!

Amen.

gchamblee

gchamblee

Quote from: The ColonelHog on May 03, 2017, 04:30:26 pm
You can't be serious?  The media, who influences conference perception, who influences season long polls, which influences the initial BCS poll is starting to jump off "the tough SEC" bandwagon.  Last time I checked we lost to TT, OSU has finished in the T25 for the last 7 years and usually win a top tier bowl game, and Baylor?  Do you REALLY think USCe could even lace their cleats?  Kansas is nothing more than Vandy or UK and Iowa State is nothing less than Missery.  Of that list I see 2 guaranteed losses!  The tough SEC narrative is getting old because the SEC for the last few years has been nothing more than Bama and everyone else.

Did you forget that time we went to Lubbock and drug Techs lifeless corpse up and down the field for 4 quarters as their fans watched in horror? So yes, we lost to TT 2 years ago with their first round quarterback. It was a game where our defense got burned on a trick play and alex collins fumbled the ball late in the 4th as we were driving. The previous year we clown stomped them in their house. TCU beat Baylor 62-22 last year, the same year we beat TCU in their house, and 28-21 in 2015. If Iowa State is nothing less than Missouri, who has already won the SEC East since joining the SEC, when was the last time Iowa State won the weaker B12? Never, that's when. They won 2 Conference Championships while in the MVIAA in 1911 and 1912. Vandy would be done with Kansas by the 2nd quarter. I know you are trying to make a point about the demise of the SEC, but you might try to use evidence that does not need to be massaged into looking worse than it is.

jkstock04

People are getting awful defensive about talk of the SEC being a bit down. Quite obvious that last year the SECs reputation took a hit. I still think it is a dominant conference but not like in years past.

Who knows what will happen this year, that could change. But pretty obvious to anyone who isn't a homer the national perception has changed. In my opinion Harbaugh has made the Big 10 a legit conference once again.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

Hawgar The Horrible

Quote from: The ColonelHog on May 03, 2017, 06:06:13 pm
Show me one piece of data that suggest that over the last 3 years.  I'll wait.  I know, I'll be waiting a long time because you can't.  Strength of schedule and analytics is based on history and the last 5 years, other than Bama, no other team has shown the dominance you fantasize about.  It's a played out narrative and you will see the reflection of it in the pre-season polls.  The SEC will be fortunate to have 4 ranked teams as a whole.  And the last Time I checked MI, OSU, PSU has more history and a better brand other than Bama.  And define flagship.  What is a flagship program and if not nationally relavent, what difference does it make?  Each of those schools have historical relavence that runs deeper than every school in the SEC other than Bama.  i don't understand what make anyone on this board think playing Missouri, Miss St, ole piss, auburn, and LSU is a gauntlet.  3 years ago yes, today, NO!  No back to the OP, I don't care who is on the OOC schedule, it doesn't matter unless you win them all.  Lose to anyone other than a conference top 2 and you are toast.  Ask PSU who won their conference, lost to Pitt, and didn't make the BCS.  If you go 5-3 in conference play, does a tough OOC lose to another P5 middle of the pack school matter?  All this complaining about scheduling and we can't even compete in the SEC yet.  Even if the SECW is still a gauntlet, we haven't scratched the service of maneuvering it and until we figure that out, playing FAMU is irrelivent.  And that's no BULL HOCKEY!

You like to move the bar, don't you?

Polls don't reflect the best teams and never have. Do you think Boise St. would be highly regarded in the SEC?

Arkansas would have beaten the snot out of the likes of Baylor and Okie State last year.

Like I said...dirt rolled.

LZH

Quote from: jkstock04 on May 03, 2017, 07:12:33 pm
People are getting awful defensive about talk of the SEC being a bit down. Quite obvious that last year the SECs reputation took a hit. I still think it is a dominant conference but not like in years past.

Who knows what will happen this year, that could change. But pretty obvious to anyone who isn't a homer the national perception has changed. In my opinion Harbaugh has made the Big 10 a legit conference once again.

The additions of Meyer, Franklin, and Harbaugh have certainly upped the ante in that conference.

gchamblee

Quote from: jkstock04 on May 03, 2017, 07:12:33 pm

I agree with you, but his reasons he listed were crap.

ChicoHog

Quote from: The Hogfather on May 03, 2017, 09:46:14 am
You sound like one of those dumbasses.  If you play 6 ranked teams during your conference schedule in most years, including 2-3 top ten teams, you don't have to (nor should you) load up in the non-conference portion of your schedule as well, while teams like Oklahoma play a big name non-con team, but 6 patsies in-conference.  Overall schedule is the only thing that matters (or should, if you are not looking for reasons to try to diminish the SEC's clear dominance in most years).
That's assuming those SEC teams are really that good.  Last year we found out they were not excluding Bama of course.  Ole Miss was a pretender, MSU avg, A&M just above avg, LSU just above avg and Auburn pretty decent.  And the SEC east was a complete joke the last few years. 

nwahogfan1

Quote from: The Hogfather on May 03, 2017, 09:46:14 am
You sound like one of those dumbasses.  If you play 6 ranked teams during your conference schedule in most years, including 2-3 top ten teams, you don't have to (nor should you) load up in the non-conference portion of your schedule as well, while teams like Oklahoma play a big name non-con team, but 6 patsies in-conference.  Overall schedule is the only thing that matters (or should, if you are not looking for reasons to try to diminish the SEC's clear dominance in most years).

I agree. Until we start winning 9+ games every season we should not load up our schedule.  One big game non conference game is enough for now.

Hawgar The Horrible

Quote from: The ColonelHog on May 03, 2017, 11:19:59 pm
That's all some of us are attempting to assist the ostriches to take their heads out of the sand and see.  The national media is pounding the SEC right now and that pounding will be reflected in rankings from preseason to the final one.  So it's really silly to be calling a schedule a gauntlet!

The national media in NY, Chicago and LA?  No bias there. No Siree.

LRRandy

Quote from: Hawgar The Horrible on May 04, 2017, 01:47:10 am
The national media in NY, Chicago and LA?  No bias there. No Siree.
hahaha. Bias. ESPN slobbered all over the sec when they were on their run. The same folks that placed 6 sec teams in the top 10 so many years ago are the same people voting now. What has changed is the strength of the sec.
This is fun, isn't it.

Ex-Trumpet

I don't think the SEC is any weaker than it ever has been.  I do believe, though, that because of their past dominance other conferences have upped their game. 

Just like any business that markets a superior product, the competition up's their game and competes--or goes out of business.
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

Hawgar The Horrible

Quote from: LRRandy on May 04, 2017, 06:39:06 am
hahaha. Bias. ESPN slobbered all over the sec when they were on their run. The same folks that placed 6 sec teams in the top 10 so many years ago are the same people voting now. What has changed is the strength of the sec.

ESPN had an agenda to push with the SEC Network. The SEC still remains the strongest conference top-to-bottom. You and the national media can't stand it. It's called envy.

The Hogfather

Quote from: The ColonelHog on May 03, 2017, 11:19:59 pm
So it's really silly to be calling a schedule a gauntlet!

Not at all.  The schedules in the SEC are still gauntlets.  Just because people from outside the SEC want to change the narrative and create a perception of the SEC being down for good, doesn't mean that's what is actually happening. 

The national media has been pounding the SEC for YEARS with little-to-no success.  One down year (and it is really a stretch to call it a down year when compared to other conferences) does not mean the SEC isn't hard anymore.  Talk about head in the sand.

LRRandy

Quote from: Hawgar The Horrible on May 04, 2017, 08:37:27 am
ESPN had an agenda to push with the SEC Network. The SEC still remains the strongest conference top-to-bottom. You and the national media can't stand it. It's called envy.
envy, yes of course. It is the current model all conferences hope to replicate; One 800 lb gorilla and 13 teams that win 8 games or less. I think that you are on to something.
This is fun, isn't it.

LRRandy

Quote from: The Hogfather on May 04, 2017, 09:02:33 am
Not at all.  The schedules in the SEC are still gauntlets.  Just because people from outside the SEC want to change the narrative and create a perception of the SEC being down for good, doesn't mean that's what is actually happening. 

The national media has been pounding the SEC for YEARS with little-to-no success.  One down year (and it is really a stretch to call it a down year when compared to other conferences) does not mean the SEC isn't hard anymore.  Talk about head in the sand.
no one said the sec is down for good. I don't think that. Too many good programs for the down cycle to last for very long. To have to stretch to see that the sec is down is simply blind homerism. That's ok. All fan boards are full of them.
This is fun, isn't it.