Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

easiest FBS non conference schedules- Hogs #8

Started by Hogwild, May 02, 2017, 12:47:53 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Hogwild

The USAToday ranked the 10 teams with the easiest non conference schedules, 4 were from the SEC, Mizzou, Ole Miss, and Miss. State

Quote8. Arkansas

► Schedule: vs. Florida A&M (8/31), vs. TCU (9/9), vs. New Mexico State (9/30), vs. Coastal Carolina (11/4)

The only thing saving Arkansas from a spot far higher on this list is that home game against a TCU team that should be vastly improved after an average 2016 season. But Florida A&M is in the FCS, Coastal Carolina is transitioning into the Sun Belt and New Mexico State is the longest-suffering program in the FBS.

tophawg19

Speculation . Whose to say several of those teams don't blow up and make strong runs in their conference . TCU could have a really good year in particular .
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

hogsanity

So what? What is the overall schedule ranking?
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

gchamblee

It's not like we aren't trying. Michigan cancelled on us. We cant be accused of wanting creampuffs after we tried to schedule a loss 2 years in a row.

Poker_hog

Quote from: hogsanity on May 02, 2017, 01:05:19 pm
So what? What is the overall schedule ranking?

Mid 40s.  Easiest schedule in a long time.
Sometimes wrong, but never in doubt

Paul

jjdlc

Quote from: Poker_hog on May 02, 2017, 01:09:35 pm
Mid 40s.  Easiest schedule in a long time.

Dang, I think thats the first time in at least the past 10 years we haven't been top 10 in overall schedule difficulty

RedSkiesAtNightHog

Quote from: Hogwild on May 02, 2017, 12:47:53 pm
The USAToday ranked the 10 teams with the easiest non conference schedules, 4 were from the SEC, Mizzou, Ole Miss, and Miss. State

Bottom line, that's a 4-0 non-conference schedule.  Can Arkansas win 5 SEC games to have a 9 win regular season? 

With a 5th year Senior Quarterback, I say yes!

Key game to make it happen?  Texas A&M

King Kong

Don't give a crap. All that matters in the end is wins and losses. I have no problem if have the easiest nonconference.

King Kong

Quote from: RedSkiesAtNightHog on May 02, 2017, 01:17:08 pm
Bottom line, that's a 4-0 non-conference schedule.  Can Arkansas win 5 SEC games to have a 9 win regular season? 

With a 5th year Senior Quarterback, I say yes!

Key game to make it happen?  Texas A&M

I wouldn't overlook TCU quite yet

Suidae

Atlhogfan1

Good. 

A&M in Dallas
@SC
@Alabama
@Ole Miss
@LSU
Within an 8 week period. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Hogwild

Quote from: jjdlc on May 02, 2017, 01:14:57 pm
Dang, I think thats the first time in at least the past 10 years we haven't been top 10 in overall schedule difficulty

We ranked 46th last year, in between Nebraska and either Ole Miss or Miss. State

Edit/update-
It was State, SEC was really down last year. More teams (3) ranked outside the top 50 that inside the top 10 (2).  And the two teams the SEC had in the top ten were Bama with 3 post season games and LSU who had their cupcake game canceled

http://sagarin.com/sports/cfsend.htm

The Hogfather

Fine with me.  When you take into account the FULL schedule, we normally have one of the toughest, along with most of the other SEC schools.

People from outside of the SEC always point to only the non-conference portion of the schedules in an attempt to diminish the SEC.  They don't ever look at the overall schedule.

rljjr

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on May 02, 2017, 01:22:44 pm
Good. 

A&M in Dallas
@SC
@Alabama
@Ole Miss
@LSU
Within an 8 week period. 

Which is why I love playing in the SEC. Everything to be excited about.

Imagine this away schedule had we somehow been sucked into the Big 12.

@TT
@OSU
@Kansas
@Iowa St
@Baylor

AWFUL

LZH

Quote from: King Kong on May 02, 2017, 01:18:21 pm
I wouldn't overlook TCU quite yet

If the excuse-makers think I bitch and moan now, imagine if we lose that game.....

That's a must win as far as I'm concerned. Everyone says A&M is the litmus test, but I believe it is this game. Without a doubt.

ricepig

Quote from: LZH on May 02, 2017, 02:12:06 pm
If the excuse-makers think I bitch and moan now, imagine if we lose that game.....

That's a must win as far as I'm concerned. Everyone says A&M is the litmus test, but I believe it is this game. Without a doubt.

Does a zebra lose it's stripes? You don't ever change, lol. Actually, the aTm game is much more important for getting over the hump as far as a good conference record. Now, do I think we can beat TCU, do I think we will win in Fayetteville, you bet, will I throw in the towel if we lose, nope.

DeltaBoy

To have a better season we need to beat TAMU and TCU!
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Al Boarland

May 02, 2017, 02:59:37 pm #19 Last Edit: May 02, 2017, 03:12:08 pm by Al Boarland
Soft OOC schedules are how Ms St. pads their record every season.  It's a good move for us.

LZH

I wouldn't actually say that I am more concerned with TCU, I would rather lose to them and beat A&M than the other way around. But I see where a lot of people feel that the A&M game is going to be the real indicator of if we have made any progress or not. I don't think we have to wait an extra two weeks to find out.

If we don't win this game, regardless if we beat A&M or not, it will just signal another wash, rinse, repeat season for Bielema. Could we recover and still win eight, nine, or ten games? Of course. But at what point will we stop losing games that we should not be losing? Especially at home against lesser competition.

gchamblee

Quote from: LZH on May 02, 2017, 03:04:32 pm
I wouldn't actually say that I am more concerned with TCU, I would rather lose to them and beat A&M than the other way around. But I see where a lot of people feel that the A&M game is going to be the real indicator of if we have made any progress or not. I don't think we have to wait an extra two weeks to find out.

If we don't win this game, regardless if we beat A&M or not, it will just signal another wash, rinse, repeat season for Bielema. Could we recover and still win eight, nine, or ten games? Of course. But at what point will we stop losing games that we should not be losing? Especially at home against lesser competition.

TCU is not lesser competition.

LZH

Quote from: gchamblee on May 02, 2017, 03:07:32 pm
TCU is not lesser competition.

If that is true, then that would say a lot about where our program is right now.

Al Boarland

Quote from: LZH on May 02, 2017, 03:17:18 pm
If that is true, then that would say a lot about where our program is right now.

The program is okay to good.  Most games are toss ups or we're dogs.

RazorWest

May 02, 2017, 03:25:35 pm #24 Last Edit: May 03, 2017, 08:23:40 am by RazorWest
Quote from: Hogwild on May 02, 2017, 01:44:01 pm

We ranked 46th last year, in between Nebraska and either Ole Miss or Miss. State

Edit/update-
It was State, SEC was really down last year. More teams (3) ranked outside the top 50 that inside the top 10 (2).  And the two teams the SEC had in the top ten were Bama with 3 post season games and LSU who had their cupcake game canceled

ranked 46th best team, 11th toughest schedule

daBoar

Sounds like we intentionally avoided Rutgers, Monroe, and the Citadel.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: RazorWest on May 02, 2017, 03:25:35 pm
This will get glossed over.  People don't want to admit the SEC has fallen back
Quote from: Hogwild on May 02, 2017, 01:44:01 pm

Edit/update-

According to Sagarin, we played the 11th ranked schedule.  So if you posted the link to illustrate the toughness of our schedule then good job.

Bama schedule ranked 1
Ole Miss 4
LSU 5
AU 7
Hogs 11

Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

FANONTHEHILL

Let's start with being concerned about FAMU and then go from there.
Favorite quote from practice.  Made to my son:<br /><br /><br />Technique is nice, but it comes down to this.  Block the F'er in front of you. - Sam Pittman 2015

Ex-Trumpet

...and still one of the toughest schedules in college football.
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

Hawgar The Horrible

Quote from: daBoar on May 02, 2017, 03:39:38 pm
Sounds like we intentionally avoided Rutgers, Monroe, and the Citadel.

You sound like the type that continually spouts off with "TOLEDO!" when they finished ranked among the Top 25.

My wife doesn't hesitate to throw something in my face that occurred 18 years ago. Is this your feminine side coming out?
There are fans and there are supporters. The latter carries the weight.

ZERO

Quote from: tophawg19 on May 02, 2017, 12:57:45 pm
Speculation . Whose to say several of those teams don't blow up and make strong runs in their conference . TCU could have a really good year in particular .

I don't see how you figure that. Florida A&M is an FCS team. Coastal Carolina is in its very first year of FBS, so that's essentially two FCS teams. New Mexico State this decade has been 2-10, 4-9, 1-11, 2-10, 2-10, 3-9, and 3-9. TCU has the potential to be good, but they're pretty up and down and not much better off than us at the moment.
Quote from: Squealers on December 30, 2014, 05:14:49 pmCharlie Strong and I have something in common... yesterday we both got colonoscopies.

Quote"These fans hate Texas more than they like themselves."

ChicoHog

Quote from: The Hogfather on May 02, 2017, 01:48:34 pm
Fine with me.  When you take into account the FULL schedule, we normally have one of the toughest, along with most of the other SEC schools.

People from outside of the SEC always point to only the non-conference portion of the schedules in an attempt to diminish the SEC.  They don't ever look at the overall schedule.
Very simple answer.  You can't control your conference schedule but you do have some control over your non-conf schedule.  I hate that we play FCS schools and directional schools.  I wish we would go to 9 conf games, 2 directional schools and one major non conf game each year.  Play it at home when you have 4 home SEC games/5 away and play it on the road when the SEC schedule is reverse with 5 home games and 4 away.  It would still give us 7 home games each year-cancel the A&M Dallas contract please-which is plenty.  And we would see better quality football each year.  Maybe more fans would go to the games as there would be less cupcakes and more meaningful opponents. 

This year we don't have a home conference game until late October.  That is unacceptable.  And only 2 decent home games in the first two months, TCU and Auburn.  Our odd numbered year schedules are not good for fans wanting to see quality football before it's cold outside!

LZH

Quote from: ChicoHog on May 02, 2017, 08:45:28 pmcancel the A&M Dallas contract please

You would give up our game in Dallas? I thought the whole point was to have a larger presence in the area. I would sure hate to see us cancel it and then Ole Miss or Auburn set up a game there every year.

Hawghiggs

We should sign a 10 year series with Kansas. I'm not even kidding. We need to soften the crap out of our non-con schedule. Play them home and home. Hell play them in basketball also. Whatever it takes.

hobhog

Quote from: LZH on May 02, 2017, 03:17:18 pm

You really must not have been paying attention in last decade....

Ex-Trumpet

Quote from: LZH on May 02, 2017, 09:49:51 pm
You would give up our game in Dallas? I thought the whole point was to have a larger presence in the area. I would sure hate to see us cancel it and then Ole Miss or Auburn set up a game there every year.

I agree with this, but I'd love to see us play home/home with aTm and set up a non-conference game at JerryWorld.  The TCU and TTU series would have been good there.  And, a non-conference game might better secure our schedule in the future against teams backing out.

Crap, I'd love to see us start beating the shart outta Texas once a year there!
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

Hogwild

Quote from: Ex-Trumpet on May 03, 2017, 07:29:47 am
I agree with this, but I'd love to see us play home/home with aTm and set up a non-conference game at JerryWorld. 

agree

Corkscrew Johnson

0.0% benefit from loading up non-conference games with potential losses.  We are going to play at least 5 ranked teams each year in the SEC.  That gives you all the respect and rankings you could ever need for the top 4.  We complain about the difficulty of the SEC, but then want to compound the situation by adding more ranked opponents?  Nonsensical. 

If your goal is to win the National Championship, schedule some good warmup games that knock the dust off and give you wins.   If you goal is to win the anonymous message boards, load them up with potential losses.   

Hawgar The Horrible

Quote from: ChicoHog on May 02, 2017, 08:45:28 pm
This year we don't have a home conference game until late October.  That is unacceptable.  And only 2 decent home games in the first two months, TCU and Auburn.  Our odd numbered year schedules are not good for fans wanting to see quality football before it's cold outside!

Call Mike Slive.

The Hogfather

Quote from: ChicoHog on May 02, 2017, 08:45:28 pm
Very simple answer.  You can't control your conference schedule but you do have some control over your non-conf schedule.

You sound like one of those dumbasses.  If you play 6 ranked teams during your conference schedule in most years, including 2-3 top ten teams, you don't have to (nor should you) load up in the non-conference portion of your schedule as well, while teams like Oklahoma play a big name non-con team, but 6 patsies in-conference.  Overall schedule is the only thing that matters (or should, if you are not looking for reasons to try to diminish the SEC's clear dominance in most years).

The Hogfather

Quote from: Corkscrew Johnson on May 03, 2017, 08:57:29 am
0.0% benefit from loading up non-conference games with potential losses.  We are going to play at least 5 ranked teams each year in the SEC.  That gives you all the respect and rankings you could ever need for the top 4.  We complain about the difficulty of the SEC, but then want to compound the situation by adding more ranked opponents?  Nonsensical. 

If your goal is to win the National Championship, schedule some good warmup games that knock the dust off and give you wins.   If you goal is to win the anonymous message boards, load them up with potential losses.   

Precisely.  Smart man!

Hogtimes

Quote from: gchamblee on May 02, 2017, 01:08:41 pm
It's not like we aren't trying. Michigan cancelled on us. We cant be accused of wanting creampuffs after we tried to schedule a loss 2 years in a row.

Michigan was not on this year's schedule

The Hogfather

Quote from: Hogtimes on May 03, 2017, 09:50:07 am
Michigan was not on this year's schedule

It doesn't matter.  Even though we don't need to, we are scheduling (although Michigan games got cancelled by them) some tough OOC games.  TCU has been a very good program recently (11+ wins in 6 of last 10 seasons) and Michigan is Michigan (especially with Harbaugh as coach). 

ricepig

3kgthog

Zero reason to schedule teams like FAMU. Another run of the mill FBS school wasn't available to buy out of another contract?

The team gets nothing out of it and neither does the UA with games like that killing attendance and concession sales. One season vs teams like that would barely be understandable to me, but aren't we scheduling an FCS school every year for the next several years?

The Hogfather

Quote from: 3kgthog on May 03, 2017, 10:22:27 am
Zero reason to schedule teams like FAMU. Another run of the mill FBS school wasn't available to buy out of another contract?

The team gets nothing out of it and neither does the UA with games like that killing attendance and concession sales. One season vs teams like that would barely be understandable to me, but aren't we scheduling an FCS school every year for the next several years?

Sorry, but if it "kills attendance and concession sales", that means we have terrible fans.

ricepig

Quote from: 3kgthog on May 03, 2017, 10:22:27 am

We had to stick someone down at WMS, it wasn't going to be well attended if it was any G-5 team, either.

As to FCS teams, yes, every SEC has one on their schedule for as far as the eyes can see.

Hawgar The Horrible

LRRandy

Quote from: The Hogfather on May 03, 2017, 09:46:48 am
Precisely.  Smart man!
Quote from: Corkscrew Johnson on May 03, 2017, 08:57:29 am

not really. An undefeated team from any P5 conference makes the playoff. Non conference games against any opponent doesn't matter if you win all of your games. However, if your goal is in fact to play for and win a national championship one marque non conference win will help your resume when it comes to choosing the teams for the playoff. The narrative of rewarding teams that schedule premier out of conference games and holding cupcake schedules against teams that play them is real. A one loss sec team that plays  a cupcake schedule may not get in over a one loss P5 team that won a top 10  OOC matchup. The benefit of the doubt that the sec used to get is eroding. Unless there is a win against Alabama, that is a trump card. Schedules matter if you play at the highest level.
This is fun, isn't it.

Hawgar The Horrible

Quote from: LRRandy on May 03, 2017, 10:46:22 am
not really. An undefeated team from any P5 conference makes the playoff. Non conference games against any opponent doesn't matter if you win all of your games. However, if your goal is in fact to play for and win a national championship one marque non conference win will help your resume when it comes to choosing the teams for the playoff. The narrative of rewarding teams that schedule premier out of conference games and holding cupcake schedules against teams that play them is real. A one loss sec team that plays  a cupcake schedule may not get in over a one loss P5 team that won a top 10  OOC matchup. The benefit of the doubt that the sec used to get is eroding. Unless there is a win against Alabama, that is a trump card. Schedules matter if you play at the highest level.

Michigan and Ohio State need Top 10 OOC opponents more than any SEC team does.