Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

easiest FBS non conference schedules- Hogs #8

Started by Hogwild, May 02, 2017, 12:47:53 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Hawgar The Horrible

Quote from: LRRandy on May 04, 2017, 10:16:00 am
envy, yes of course. It is the current model all conferences hope to replicate; One 800 lb gorilla and 13 teams that win 8 games or less. I think that you are on to something.

Parity. 13 teams beating the hell out of each other doesn't mean they won't stomp a mud hole in other P5 teams with better records.
There are fans and there are supporters. The latter carries the weight.

ricepig

Quote from: LRRandy on May 04, 2017, 10:21:08 am
no one said the sec is down for good. I don't think that. Too many good programs for the down cycle to last for very long. To have to stretch to see that the sec is down is simply blind homerism. That's ok. All fan boards are full of them.

Glad to see you're representing the Big 1g in that regard.

Hawgar The Horrible

Quote from: ricepig on May 04, 2017, 10:24:59 am

I don't know how considering the Big 10 posted a 3-7 bowl record last season with their East Division going a stellar 0-5.

Letsroll1200

Quote from: Ex-Trumpet on May 02, 2017, 06:39:14 pm
...and still one of the toughest schedules in college football.

You think so? I don't think we finished in the top 25 with SOS last season.

The Hogfather

Quote from: The ColonelHog on May 04, 2017, 11:20:16 am
I'm waiting for someone to describe what makes playing Texas A&M, ole miss, miss st, and auburn a gauntlet.  None of these teams have done squat on the national scene.  Most of em started seasons highly rated and sputtered out as the seasons wore on.  There is zero empirical evidence to suggest this mythical "gauntlet" exist.  I'd love to see the evidence but I just haven't seen it the last 3/4 years.

I can't remember for sure, but I'm pretty sure all 3 of the teams you listed were ranked in the top 10 (possibly all ranked #1?) at some point in the last 3-4 years.

Hawgar The Horrible

I'm waiting for someone to describe what makes playing Texas A&M, ole miss, miss st, and auburn a gauntlet.  None of these teams have done squat on the national scene.  Most of em started seasons highly rated and sputtered out as the seasons wore on.  There is zero empirical evidence to suggest this mythical "gauntlet" exist.  I'd love to see the evidence but I just haven't seen it the last 3/4 years.

Lets try this. Name another conference more difficult to navigate week in and week out.

ricepig

Eating their own? Outside of Bama, no one seems to make it through with less than two losses. Also, outside this past bowl season, the SEC has more than held their own. It does appear the ACC has had better success against the SEC, than others.

gchamblee

Quote from: Hawgar The Horrible on May 04, 2017, 11:27:16 am
Lets try this. Name another conference more difficult to navigate week in and week out.

He tried this using the B12 as his example, but I shut it down and he never responded.

Hogwild

Quote from: Ex-Trumpet on May 04, 2017, 08:18:05 am
I don't think the SEC is any weaker than it ever has been.  I do believe, though, that because of their past dominance other conferences have upped their game. 

Just like any business that markets a superior product, the competition up's their game and competes--or goes out of business.

The ACC was a better conference than the SEC was last year.  It was probably the first time in over a decade that the SEC wasn't the #1 conference.

Hawgar The Horrible

Quote from: The ColonelHog on May 04, 2017, 12:18:25 pm
You are correct and that's my point.  Due to the perceived strength of the SEC, all of these teams were given the benefit of the doubt and didn't meet expectations.  The national media really wanted to crown another SEC darling other than Bama.  I concede that there wasn't ANY doubt about the best conference in CFB for over a decade but that just isn't the case now.  The only empirical evidence is what actually happens on the field outside the SEC.

The Guantlet:
Bama-  well Bama is Bama
LSU-  lost to Wisconsin
Auburn- lost to Clemson, lost bowl to Okie
Ole Miss- lost to FSU, no bowl qualifier
T A&M- lost bowl to K State
MS State- lost to South Alabama and BYU, beat Miami (OH) by 1 point in bowl

No reasonable person would even suggest these results would qualify as a guantlet!  To me a guantlet is measured by what teams do outside of their conference by dominating all opposition which isn't the case any more.  These results spell it out clearly.

Will LSU return to glory- not with Orgeron
Auburn-  up year maybe with their FA QB, then what.
Ole Miss-doomed
A&M- dumpster fire, poor coaching
MS ST- ship has sailed, QB will rush for 1500yds, that's about it.

What GUANTLET?

You're stating because the SEC doesn't play and defeat the best P5 teams in the country every season, regardless of conference affiliation, it's not a difficult league.

Majorly flawed logic.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

The Hogfather

Quote from: The ColonelHog on May 04, 2017, 12:18:25 pm
You are correct and that's my point.  Due to the perceived strength of the SEC, all of these teams were given the benefit of the doubt and didn't meet expectations.

This is crap, though, other than the part where you said I was correct.  It isn't perceived strength.  They didn't get ranked way up there just because of perceptions of strength.  They were very strong teams.  You can laugh all you want, but the gauntlet of the SEC tears you down.  We beat up on each other and THEN are perceived, by dimwits, to be not as strong as once thought.

LRRandy

Quote from: Hawgar The Horrible on May 04, 2017, 10:24:01 am
Parity. 13 teams beating the hell out of each other doesn't mean they won't stomp a mud hole in other P5 teams with better records.
you mean like Va. Tech? Where were the parity claims when the fans were boasting about having four 11 win teams a season? Last season the sec wasn't exactly iron sharpening iron.
This is fun, isn't it.

ricepig

Quote from: LRRandy on May 04, 2017, 12:46:27 pm
you mean like Va. Tech? Where were the parity claims when the fans were boasting about having four 11 win teams a season? Last season the sec wasn't exactly iron sharpening iron.

Few are saying it was, put I don't think one season defines anything, but that one season.

LRRandy

Quote from: ricepig on May 04, 2017, 10:24:59 am
well of course I am! 😀. Your usual snarky comment without adding anything to the conversation confirms that I am correct. Your silence on the issue says volumes.
This is fun, isn't it.

Hawgar The Horrible

Quote from: The Hogfather on May 04, 2017, 12:44:30 pm
This is crap, though, other than the part where you said I was correct.  It isn't perceived strength.  They didn't get ranked way up there just because of perceptions of strength.  They were very strong teams.  You can laugh all you want, but the gauntlet of the SEC tears you down.  We beat up on each other and THEN are perceived, by dimwits, to be not as strong as once thought.

Sounds like he wants the SEC to forego playing each other, wait for the preseason polls to come out, and THEN schedule every Top 20 team known to man.

There's your gauntlet.

ricepig

Quote from: LRRandy on May 04, 2017, 12:53:07 pm
well of course I am! 😀. Your usual snarky comment without adding anything to the conversation confirms that I am correct. Your silence on the issue says volumes.

Nah, others have said plenty, no need to add any more.

Seebs

Good. More cupcakes please.  We beat our SEC opponents it will never matter. Ever.
To add a "sig line" or "signature line": Go to your "profile" then go to "modify profile" then scroll down to where it says "Signature" and type in what you want it to say and then click on "change profile". That's it, you're done. Your sig line will only show up on your first post on each page.

ricepig

Quote from: Seebs on May 04, 2017, 12:54:29 pm
Good. More cupcakes please.  We beat our SEC opponents it will never matter. Ever.

Correct

Hawgar The Horrible

Quote from: ricepig on May 04, 2017, 12:49:14 pm
Few are saying it was, put I don't think one season defines anything, but that one season.

Give him last season. It's all he has.

LRRandy

Quote from: The Hogfather on May 04, 2017, 12:44:30 pm
This is crap, though, other than the part where you said I was correct. It isn't perceived strength.  They didn't get ranked way up there just because of perceptions of strength.  They were very strong teams.  You can laugh all you want, but the gauntlet of the SEC tears you down.  We beat up on each other and THEN are perceived, by dimwits, to be not as strong as once thought.
that totally cracked me up!!  +1
This is fun, isn't it.

ricepig

Quote from: The ColonelHog on May 04, 2017, 12:59:55 pm
It's not flawed logic.  Your logic is flawed.  You say it's the best Division in CFB and there is nothing there to prove it because nobody other than Bama has did squat against any other conference, not just P5 conferences.  What evidence, on the field, can you point to that describes the other 5 teams in the west as being superior to ANY other team in any other P5 conference?  The results don't show it!  For over a decade it WAS!  The SECW proved it, year in year out.  Currently, there is not one shred of evidence that slightly suggest that.  What's flawed about results on the field?  You're homerism is flawed if you can't see that there is nothing about any of those teams that set them apart from ANY other P5 team other than they get their arsp whipped by Bama Every year.  My bad, Ole Miss beat Bama and got torched by a conference cellar dweller (UA)!!!

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2559942-ranking-every-college-football-conference-heading-into-2015-season

http://www.sbnation.com/2015/9/29/9413705/acc-football-2015-best-conferences

http://www.ncaa.com/news/football/head-head/2014-08-22/after-sec-which-best-conference-college-football

Hawgar The Horrible

It's not flawed logic.  Your logic is flawed.  You say it's the best Division in CFB and there is nothing there to prove it because nobody other than Bama has did squat against any other conference, not just P5 conferences.  What evidence, on the field, can you point to that describes the other 5 teams in the west as being superior to ANY other team in any other P5 conference?  The results don't show it!  For over a decade it WAS!  The SECW proved it, year in year out.  Currently, there is not one shred of evidence that slightly suggest that.  What's flawed about results on the field?  You're homerism is flawed if you can't see that there is nothing about any of those teams that set them apart from ANY other P5 team other than they get their arsp whipped by Bama Every year.  My bad, Ole Miss beat Bama and got torched by a conference cellar dweller (UA)!!!

Yep. Looks like everyone is anticipating the SEC West sucking again this year.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/statistics/teamratings

GuvHog

The SEC is always a tough conference. One of the toughest in College Football, in fact, but the last time the SEC was THE premier conference in college football was the year 3 SEC teams finished the season ranked in the top 5 nationally. Remember the last time that happened?

The SEC West was indeed a tad bit down last year but not way down.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

gchamblee

Quote from: The ColonelHog on May 04, 2017, 12:35:41 pm
Not sure who HE is, maybe Randy from LR, but scroll down and see out of conference results which is the ONLY way any particular team can be measured.  Yes, the SEC won some out of conference games but losing illuminates the fact that the SECW is NOT a guantlet.  How can it be:

A&M- L to K, ST
LSU- L to Wisconsin
Auburn- L to Clem and Okie in the bowl
Ole Miss-non bowl qualifier, and we know the rest of their story
MSST- L to So Ala, L to BYU, W by 1pt over MIami (OH).

That is the reality.  There is zero special about any of those teams, the SEC is NOT a guantlet.  It was for over a decade but unless they all show something different from last season, it's silly to call it a Guantlet!

You are the "He" I was referring to. You said....

"You can't be serious?  The media, who influences conference perception, who influences season long polls, which influences the initial BCS poll is starting to jump off "the tough SEC" bandwagon.  Last time I checked we lost to TT, OSU has finished in the T25 for the last 7 years and usually win a top tier bowl game, and Baylor?  Do you REALLY think USCe could even lace their cleats?  Kansas is nothing more than Vandy or UK and Iowa State is nothing less than Missery.  Of that list I see 2 guaranteed losses!  The tough SEC narrative is getting old because the SEC for the last few years has been nothing more than Bama and everyone else."

And I said...

"Did you forget that time we went to Lubbock and drug Techs lifeless corpse up and down the field for 4 quarters as their fans watched in horror? So yes, we lost to TT 2 years ago with their first round quarterback. It was a game where our defense got burned on a trick play and alex collins fumbled the ball late in the 4th as we were driving. The previous year we clown stomped them in their house. TCU beat Baylor 62-22 last year, the same year we beat TCU in their house, and 28-21 in 2015. If Iowa State is nothing less than Missouri, who has already won the SEC East since joining the SEC, when was the last time Iowa State won the weaker B12? Never, that's when. They won 2 Conference Championships while in the MVIAA in 1911 and 1912. Vandy would be done with Kansas by the 2nd quarter. I know you are trying to make a point about the demise of the SEC, but you might try to use evidence that does not need to be massaged into looking worse than it is."

I was simply pointing out that you keep asking for proof of your opinion being wrong, and when presented with proof based on the criteria you presented, you simply ignored it and kept acting like nobody was challenging you.

gchamblee

Quote from: The ColonelHog on May 04, 2017, 01:37:39 pm
All this link proves to me is that there are obvious coaching flaws in the conference.  With this type of talent, how does the SEC not dominate its OOC opponents, even in bowl games?  YES, there is more or as much talent in the SEC as any other conference but did it translate in OOC wins?  Why didn't it?  Will it again one day?  Maybe, maybe not.  It didn't last season.  ESPN and FOXsports is using the same info posted in this link to suggest the coaching in the SEC is inferior therefore making it NOT the best conference in the country and all I'm saying is it is a logical argument because of the OOC performance.  Until the SEC return to the days of destroying top 25 OOC opponents, no reasonable person can conclude it's better than the ACC or BIG.  The evidence from results on the field just doesn't support the assertion.

You are reaching, to an almost desperate extent, to prove your opinion right. Dude, last year is the only thing you have and you are using it as proof of something that simply isn't true. The SEC is not inferior to anyone over the last decade. 1 year does not undo that. I'm happy for you that you think you finally have a win for whatever conference it is that you have a boner for, but before you drag out your lotion and box of kleenex you might want to look at data from a broader sample size.

Hawgar The Horrible

Quote from: gchamblee on May 04, 2017, 01:42:18 pm
You are reaching, to an almost desperate extent, to prove your opinion right. Dude, last year is the only thing you have and you are using it as proof of something that simply isn't true. The SEC is not inferior to anyone over the last decade. 1 year does not undo that. I'm happy for you that you think you finally have a win for whatever conference it is that you have a boner for, but before you drag out your lotion and box of kleenex you might want to look at data from a broader sample size.

The media is jumping off the SEC bandwagon. I illustrated that in my previous post. Oh, wait...

gchamblee

Quote from: The ColonelHog on May 04, 2017, 01:50:34 pm
That's it!  Keep mixing results from seasons other than last season and keep ignoring what happened in the SEC OOC games LAST season to make an empty point.  It can't be supported!  The SECW did squat in OOC games last season.  It's on the scoreboards.  YES, the SEC has been DOMINATE the last decade or so, but last season was underwhelming and that is the information that a reasonable person would use.  Next season the SECW get a do over.  Will the performance on the field in OOC games  thwart the perception that it was simply a 1 year dip?  We will see, but until then, there is no debate.  The league was NOT a dominant force last season and it will be reflected in the pre-season rankings.  Other than Bama, LSU, Auburn, UGA, and maybe FL, no other team will start in the top 25.  A conference with 14 teams, placing only 5 in the Top 25 does NOT give an impression of conference superiority.  It gives an impression of a conference with a few good teams and all the rest just like every other conference.

Hawgar posted a link to an espn ranking of teams based on power index, having 3 sec teams in the top 6. Keep ignoring all data except the data that supports your idea that 1 year is proof that the SEC is no longer king of the hill, last decade be darned.

Hawgar The Horrible

Quote from: gchamblee on May 04, 2017, 01:55:58 pm
Hawgar posted a link to an espn ranking of teams based on power index, having 3 sec teams in the top 6. Keep ignoring all data except the data that supports your idea that 1 year is proof that the SEC is no longer king of the hill, last decade be darned.

3 SEC West teams the Hogs have to play. Easy enough. No gauntlet or anything like that.

Edit: You have people? How come I don't have any people?

GuvHog

Quote from: gchamblee on May 04, 2017, 01:42:18 pm

I'll agree that the SEC isn't inferior to any other conference but it still isn't quite as strong as it once was. At the end of the 2011 season, the SEC was head and shoulders above every other conference. That isn't the case any more as the gap has narrowed quite a bit. Part of the reason for that is Arkansas has still not recovered from Jeff Long's knee jerk decision in April of 2012.

gchamblee

Quote from: The ColonelHog on May 04, 2017, 01:59:29 pm
Dude, how can you not use the last performance on record?  I guess you work as an employee or supervisor, but did you as a supervisor use your employees last performance to evaluate him or two or three years passed to do it.  Yes, you gave the employee the benefit of the doubt due to prior (2/3) years of excellence to erase the poor most previous performance and you expect it to get better, but does it guarantee it?  What would you base the next evaluation on?  The upcoming performance I would think.  So we will see how it plays out on the field.  I just don't see LSU, Auburn, Ole Miss, MissST, or A&M making leaps and bounds improvement this next season.  I guess I'll research milestone OOC games each has coming up next season and I'll have my people get in touch with your people.

Cool?

If employee has been with me for 10 years and has shown to be incredibly reliable, I would not take the 2 times he called in sick last week and use it as proof that he is no longer reliable. I would instead consider the guy reliable and realize that he just had a bad week last week. You are trying to take last week and use it as proof that the dude is no longer reliable. Why you are doing this I have no idea, but regardless of your reason you are trying to sell a bad idea to people that recognize it as a bad idea.

gchamblee

Quote from: GuvHog on May 04, 2017, 02:07:31 pm
I'll agree that the SEC isn't inferior to any other conference but it still isn't quite as strong as it once was. At the end of the 2011 season, the SEC was head and shoulders above every other conference. That isn't the case any more as the gap has narrowed quite a bit. Part of the reason for that is Arkansas has still not recovered from Jeff Long's knee jerk decision Bobby Petrinos selfish, above the rules, I am more important than the University behavior in April of 2012.

FTFY

Hawgar The Horrible

Quote from: GuvHog on May 04, 2017, 02:07:31 pm
I'll agree that the SEC isn't inferior to any other conference but it still isn't quite as strong as it once was. At the end of the 2011 season, the SEC was head and shoulders above every other conference. That isn't the case any more as the gap has narrowed quite a bit. Part of the reason for that is Arkansas has still not recovered from Jeff Long's knee jerk decision in April of 2012.

Can it. We don't need you derailing another thread.

factchecker

I don't know how the Big12 got brought into this discussion but Arkansas is 4-1 vs. the BIG 12 since 2014.

09-13-2014      Texas Tech   W   49-28
12-29-2014      Texas   W   31-7
09-19-2015      Texas Tech   L   24-35
01-02-2016      Kansas St.   W   45-23
09-10-2016      TCU   W   41-38

We are 8-2 dating back to 2008 with our only other loss coming to a very good Texas team in 2008.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

gchamblee

Quote from: factchecker on May 04, 2017, 02:22:35 pm
I don't know how the Big12 got brought into this discussion but Arkansas is 4-1 vs. the BIG 12 since 2014.

09-13-2014      Texas Tech   W   49-28
12-29-2014      Texas   W   31-7
09-19-2015      Texas Tech   L   24-35
01-02-2016      Kansas St.   W   45-23
09-10-2016      TCU   W   41-38

We are 8-2 dating back to 2008 with our only other loss coming to a very good Texas team in 2008.

kernelhog was using them as evidence that the B12 is a stronger conference than the SEC

GuvHog

Quote from: gchamblee on May 04, 2017, 02:18:45 pm
FTFY

I don't appreciate you changing my post. Regardless of what BP did or didn't do, Jeff Long made the decision to terminate him and the football program still hasn't recovered from that decision. That plus his decision to hire Smiley and his decision to hire a head coach with an offensive philosophy the exact opposite of what the players that he inherited were recruited to run has seriously damaged the Hog football program.

LRRandy

There will be much wringing of hands and gnashing of teeth right out of the box when king of the sec Bama plays FSU in the opener. Either way a team in the running for a playoff spot gets a loss and therefore almost zero margin for error in the CFP chase in just week one. Lordy, Lordy what if Bama were to lose.
This is fun, isn't it.

LRRandy

Quote from: GuvHog on May 04, 2017, 02:27:51 pm
I don't appreciate you changing my post. Regardless of what BP did or didn't do, Jeff Long made the decision to terminate him and the football program still hasn't recovered from that decision. That plus his decision to hire Smiley and his decision to hire a head coach with an offensive philosophy the exact opposite of what the players that he inherited were recruited to run has seriously damaged the Hog football program.
start this up in a different thread. This is getting fun.
This is fun, isn't it.

Hawgar The Horrible

Quote from: gchamblee on May 04, 2017, 02:23:42 pm
kernelhog was using them as evidence that the B12 is a stronger conference than the SEC

As a result of Arkansas beating TCU last year, I now pronounce the Hogs have been more successful than them for the past decade.

LRRandy

Quote from: sevenof400 on May 04, 2017, 02:29:47 pm
Snarky (and meaningless) comments are the specialty of Ricepig.
yup. That and the badge of "inside information getter" he so proudly wears amongst the mere mortals on this board. We should be thankful, nay, we should count it a blessing that he would condescend to even spare a moment of his time sharing his knowledge and wit.
This is fun, isn't it.

The Hogfather

Quote from: Hawgar The Horrible on May 04, 2017, 02:34:38 pm
As a result of Arkansas beating TCU last year, I now pronounce the Hogs have been more successful than them for the past decade.

YAY!

Ex-Trumpet

Quote from: Hawgar The Horrible on May 04, 2017, 12:53:26 pm
Sounds like he wants the SEC to forego playing each other, wait for the preseason polls to come out, and THEN schedule every Top 20 team known to man.

There's your gauntlet.

Get it right, it's a guantlet.
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

ricepig

Quote from: LRRandy on May 04, 2017, 02:35:59 pm
yup. That and the badge of "inside information getter" he so proudly wears amongst the mere mortals on this board. We should be thankful, nay, we should count it a blessing that he would condescend to even spare a moment of his time sharing his knowledge and wit.

You're welcome.

ricepig

Quote from: sevenof400 on May 04, 2017, 02:29:47 pm
Snarky (and meaningless) comments are the specialty of Ricepig. 

Hmm, following me around must be yours.

Hawgar The Horrible

Quote from: Ex-Trumpet on May 04, 2017, 02:41:15 pm
Get it right, it's a guantlet.

If I knew what that meant there might not be an argument.

LRRandy

This is fun, isn't it.

gchamblee

Quote from: The ColonelHog on May 04, 2017, 02:50:18 pm
Check your spelling, it's ColonelHog.  I brought up the other conference because there is zero CURRENT data that suggest any of you guys Guantlet teams could beat Ok st., Ok, or Baylor and as for that matter, K-St this past season. Some of you suggest they can but where is the proof?  But never mind.  I guess we will find out next bowl season since the gauntlet you all speak of only play 3 P5 teams on their OOC schedule.

Well, TCU beat Baylor 62-22 and we beat TCU at their house, so there is that. If you are arguing that the B12 is a stronger conference than the SEC you are the one with a difficult task here, not me.

gchamblee

Quote from: The ColonelHog on May 04, 2017, 03:09:04 pm

I didn't suggest the B12 was a better conference, I said they have teams in that conference that could beat every team on the dreaded Guantlet other than Bama.  Get it right if you are going to throw it out there.

Ok then I am completely lost as to what you are saying. Which conference do you think is the stronger conference? SEC or B12?

gchamblee

Quote from: The ColonelHog on May 04, 2017, 03:09:04 pm

I didn't suggest the B12 was a better conference, I said they have teams in that conference that could beat every team on the dreaded Guantlet other than Bama.  Get it right if you are going to throw it out there.

Rethinking this, if you are saying the B12 has multiple teams, and you did says teams plural, that could beat everyone in the sec other than bama, that would mean the B12 is a stronger conference than the SEC. You are saying the B12 is stronger, but for some reason wont come right out and say it.

ricepig

Quote from: sevenof400 on May 04, 2017, 03:16:09 pm
It could be a lifelong job correcting your errors and inaccuracies...

We all can't be infallible like you, lol.