Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Is Jalen Harris worth it?

Started by SportsLife, May 01, 2017, 09:03:21 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

SportsLife

wavybone

Take it for what it's worth but RD said Amauri Hardy apparently didn't have an offer even though it was reported.

rzrbackramsfan

It's a good question.  All I know is that this guy has and-one mixtape handles and can rise up and dunk with ease.  I like the potential and depth if nothing else.

daBoar

I'm not sure the coaching staff is as disappointed as some fans seem.  They got a much more proven young man that they know they can use in the future.  Unless we picked up a top 50 pg or a juco, I don't think a young man would see the court anyway.

Hawg Red

I do think he'll be worth it. And I'm not convinced that Amauri Hardy, Shakwon Barrett, or Michael Weathers are better. I wonder what a kid with the athletic talents and ballhandling ability of Harris would do with the kind of usage and volume that Weathers was blessed with at Miami (OH). I feel like I bring this up every time I talk about Harris, but the kid only attempted 3 shots per game on average. Talk about a muzzle. And he's absolutely a more dynamic athlete than Hardy and Barrett. 4 PPG and 2 APG as a freshman is nothing out of the ordinary. Then you consider that he kid played 20 minutes a game and was only able to attempt an average of 3 shots and you can see that this kid would have averaged 6-7 PPG in a more uptempo system with that kind of playing time. The Mountain West isn't the SEC, but there are some programs that have had decent success recently.

I think it will be well worth the wait to have this kid locked and loaded for 2018-2019, and I think he could be just as good or better than those other guards that we "missed" on.

hawginbigd1

IMO the staff thinks highly of this kid to take him, just seems there is a ton of 18 guys they could get and prefer to have him.

Kevin McPherson

Quote from: wavybone on May 01, 2017, 11:38:17 pm
Take it for what it's worth but RD said Amauri Hardy apparently didn't have an offer even though it was reported.

He had an offer.

The Hogfather

Quote from: Hawg Red on May 02, 2017, 09:09:16 am
I do think he'll be worth it. And I'm not convinced that Amauri Hardy, Shakwon Barrett, or Michael Weathers are better. I wonder what a kid with the athletic talents and ballhandling ability of Harris would do with the kind of usage and volume that Weathers was blessed with at Miami (OH). I feel like I bring this up every time I talk about Harris, but the kid only attempted 3 shots per game on average. Talk about a muzzle. And he's absolutely a more dynamic athlete than Hardy and Barrett. 4 PPG and 2 APG as a freshman is nothing out of the ordinary. Then you consider that he kid played 20 minutes a game and was only able to attempt an average of 3 shots and you can see that this kid would have averaged 6-7 PPG in a more uptempo system with that kind of playing time. The Mountain West isn't the SEC, but there are some programs that have had decent success recently.

I think it will be well worth the wait to have this kid locked and loaded for 2018-2019, and I think he could be just as good or better than those other guards that we "missed" on.

Yep.  I really like this kid.  The more I think about our entire situation, the more I like this move.  I think he will be very good for us in the future and it sets up perfectly for when Barford and Macon leave after next season (making the assumption they both stay).  I really hope Barford/Macon make the right decision and stay.

HoopS

Coaches think it's worth it. A select few of our fans think he isn't and that we whiffed on all others. They truly have no idea. But it doesn't matter. Pipe up loud and proud as long as it is negative towards our program. We don't need a rival.

The_Iceman

NWAHog479

I think we got the best fit honestly... His highlights are better than Hardy's, he's going to ready to play big minutes by the time he is eligible. Why question if he's worth it or not and just root for the kid no matter what now that he's a Hog.

FineAsSwine

Quote from: The_Iceman on May 02, 2017, 01:49:55 pm

https://youtu.be/PtmeBONxNkg

Love the highlights. Smooth operator with the ball and always looking to dish but will attack the rim aggressively. Lots to like there.
Hogs up! Covid down!

Hawg Red

Quote from: HoopS on May 02, 2017, 01:46:44 pm
Coaches think it's worth it. A select few of our fans think he isn't and that we whiffed on all others. They truly have no idea. But it doesn't matter. Pipe up loud and proud as long as it is negative towards our program. We don't need a rival.

At no point did it seem that the staff was scrambling, despite the picture some want to paint. There is a perception problem around here. I'll admit that my perception of things has changed as I learned to trust the staff. There are some that believe there is a mountain of separation between Michael Weathers and Amauri Hardy and Shakwon Barrett and Jalen Harris. The reality is there isn't. Michigan was interested in Barrett, who many wanted the Hogs to pass on, but they really need a vet at PG to maximize their potential to make another deep NCAAT run (they brought in an All-MAC PG from Ohio). The Hogs passed on him. Hardy was made out to be a stud prospect but the reality is that he was still largely a 3-star recruit. Is he really better than Jalen Harris? They were both 3-star recruits out of HS. The difference there is the staff has actual D1 tape on Harris to evaluate.

HoopS

What's funny is I would bet a high majority of those wanting one or the other more

- couldn't recognize any of them
- didn't even know of them not long ago
- don't know their skill set
- have no idea of their attitude and if it would fit
- have no idea if we offered a commitle offer or not or if we told them to look elsewhere or not. They assume we swung and missed.

Yet they know we messed up. And they make sure to be loud about it and down our coach and program even if it means being read by prospective students/players. And we've read reactions from players and parents enough to know they read these boards and if absolutely could have a negative effect. So what. And once one starts others are all too happy to parrot the same tripe.

It's funny to watch yet frustrating when you know a kid reads it. I have a HS student with friends who have been recruited by us. They read some of this stuff. And it's embarrassing what they read and think of our fanbase sometimes.

RealHog

Quote from: Rock City Razorback on May 01, 2017, 09:27:26 pm
I hope so. But no matter how you shake it, we lost recruiting battles to Texas Tech (even with a connection) and UNLV... Also to Okie Lite, but we pulled up on that one and never had a shot at Wooten. The coaches didn't get who they wanted, but all we can ask for now is that Harris can be a contributor for this program, even with a lot of talent coming in next 2 years.
Yup, with CMA and his staff building philosophy this will keep happening every year. Hope we can keep looking forward to a rotation guard transfers from New Mexico. Heck we couldn't even land this guy the first time around. To New Mexico...

HawgTide

Quote from: RealHog on May 02, 2017, 07:10:46 pm
Yup, with CMA and his staff building philosophy this will keep happening every year. Hope we can keep looking forward to a rotation guard transfers from New Mexico. Heck we couldn't even land this guy the first time around. To New Mexico...

So much fail in one post

RealHog

Also not forget we lost a recruiting battle to TULANE for goodness sake. I think this staff just has no idea.

Letsroll1200

Quote from: RealHog on May 02, 2017, 07:16:54 pm
Also not forget we lost a recruiting battle to TULANE for goodness sake. I think this staff just has no idea.

Are you serious?

The_Iceman

BannerMountainMan

Mike Anderson is doing a great job!!
"Michael Qualls with the dunk at the buzzer, it goes and Arkansas wins, it goes and Arkansas wins"

King Kong

You can't honestly believe that

ShadowHawg

Follow the recruiting forum more. Your assertion is patently false per a recruiting reporter.

JIHawg

There are multiple reasons to make this move.  With 13 scholarships, it's hard to get all 13 kids any significant playing time.  (Jones, this year, is an example).  Kids want to play right out of high school but, truthfully, they are not ready to play.  They need a year to mature, get adjusted to college life, learn the system, get in the weight room, have a year without pressure so the academic affairs can be gotten in order.

A transfer has no choice.  He has to take a year off to do all these things.  He will have no legitimate complaint about playing time, since he is ineligible.  It solves the problem of playing team too early when a kid is just not ready for the SEC grind.  They go into it with their eyes wide open.  They know they have a year to get transitioned.  Learn the system.  Get academics in order.  No pressure.  Get on the weights, rebuild the body.  Improve skills, become a better shooter and ball handler.

It just all makes sense.  Kudos to the coaches for figuring this one out and doing it.

RealHog

Quote from: ShadowHawg on May 02, 2017, 10:19:50 pm
Follow the recruiting forum more. Your assertion is patently false per a recruiting reporter.

Well I stand corrected then, I keep up a bit but I guess I missed that. I'm just used to us only being able to land guys from AR or someone from AR, or is someone's nephew or something. Basically if they don't fit that criteria we can land low 3 stars battling against the MS Valleys States of the world. I applaud CMA for making Hawg ball much better, but he is by no means a recruiter, and won't add one to his staff.

Hawg Red

Quote from: Rock City Razorback on May 03, 2017, 12:10:22 pm
He added Scotty Thurman last year.

And Scotty has been notably active on the recruiting trail. Scotty brought in Brachen Hazen, which, regardless of how you feel about his long-term prospects, was a good late-period addition.

Woo Pig25

Quote from: RealHog on May 03, 2017, 10:26:02 am
Well I stand corrected then, I keep up a bit but I guess I missed that. I'm just used to us only being able to land guys from AR or someone from AR, or is someone's nephew or something. Basically if they don't fit that criteria we can land low 3 stars battling against the MS Valleys States of the world. I applaud CMA for making Hawg ball much better, but he is by no means a recruiter, and won't add one to his staff.

At least try to mask your ignorance of the basketball program and not even mention Mississippi Valley State and the University of Arkansas in the same post when it comes to recruiting kids.

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: NWAHog479 on May 02, 2017, 02:19:40 pm
I think we got the best fit honestly... His highlights are better than Hardy's, he's going to ready to play big minutes by the time he is eligible. Why question if he's worth it or not and just root for the kid no matter what now that he's a Hog.

That's not the way it works, that's not the way any of this works!

Couldn't resist!

As for Harris, welcome aboard the Hog Train headed for The Final Four!

tophawg19

Kind of looks to me like a Kareem Reid but more under control. He can be a nightmare for defenses as fast as he is . he can push the ball and has team mates that can run the floor too . we may be able to move back to fast transition basketball
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

RealHog

Quote from: Rock City Razorback on May 03, 2017, 12:10:22 pm
He added Scotty Thurman last year.

As much respect as I have for Scotty as a player, he doesn't exactly have impressive coaching or recruiting experience. He was our radio guy and held over a staff position with us for a few years. No outside recruiting networks that existing coaches don't already have. Yes. we had a great season and a good incoming class, I am just also acknowledging what many people have long felt, that CMAs strength is not recruiting, that's all.
Keep winning games and who cares! WPS!

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: rzrbackramsfan on May 01, 2017, 11:45:24 pm
It's a good question.  All I know is that this guy has and-one mixtape handles and can rise up and dunk with ease.  I like the potential and depth if nothing else.
he'll be our best ballhandler the first day he's eligible

and boy is he evr fast. and he's a PG. shoot, that kid may end up being great for us. reminds me of gary irvin (am i messing that up? the PG we got from Miss St)
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

Nipsey Mussle

The biggest appeal of Harris is his upside. IMO no one remaining at this time has the upside of Harris, as his speed, ball handling and leaping ability would be deadly if paired with an improved 3 pt shot. He made the wrong choice out of high school, but he clearly proved he can hang at this level. Hell, didn't he start 18 games this past season as a freshman?

We've made late reaches under MA, but this isn't one of them.

Kevin McPherson

Quote from: What's Shakin' Macon on May 04, 2017, 01:02:47 am
The biggest appeal of Harris is his upside. IMO no one remaining at this time has the upside of Harris, as his speed, ball handling and leaping ability would be deadly if paired with an improved 3 pt shot. He made the wrong choice out of high school, but he clearly proved he can hang at this level. Hell, didn't he start 18 games this past season as a freshman?

We've made late reaches under MA, but this isn't one of them.

Overall, when you look at CMA's track-record with transfers at Arkansas, it's a good resume: Fred Gulley (valuable utility guard in the rebuilding process who did not eat up a scholarship after transferring from OKSt), Alandise Harris (became a plus-defender and dependable starter), Dusty Hannahs (top-shelf SEC scorer in both years), Coty Clarke (reliable glue guy and 2-year starter), Jabril Durham (solid PG play at both ends as a senior), Jaylen Barford (good SEC guard), and Daryl Macon (good SEC guard) ... all of these players developed, produced well, and were impact players as starters. Jury still out on Dustin Thomas (who did have career-high averages in FG%, scoring, rebounding, assists, steals last year) and Arlando Cook. Keaton Miles did not pan out as hoped, not sure Willy Kouassi should be factored in because he was a senior-grad, warm body after a LATE avalanche of personnel loss.

I think CMA has shown that regardless of the fans getting restless with some of the under-the-radar additions thru transfer and juco, he can and will win doing things his way. Harris is another player who fills a need and has time to develop and learn the system so he can be counted on as a 3rd-year sophomore.

Big Nasty 34

Quote from: The_Iceman on May 02, 2017, 08:34:04 pm

https://youtu.be/cF-Rt5a5h68

If you don't like the kid after watching his game highlights then you need to give up your basketball fan card. He will be our best passer from day 1. He's got a good mix of Daryl Macon and Jabril Durham in his game. Should be really big for the 18 class too and won't leave those young guys having to carry the load.

Hogimus Prime

A Harris and Garland backcourt will be fun to watch in 2018

FineAsSwine

Quote from: Big Nasty 34 on May 04, 2017, 09:39:52 am
If you don't like the kid after watching his game highlights then you need to give up your basketball fan card. He will be our best passer from day 1. He's got a good mix of Daryl Macon and Jabril Durham in his game. Should be really big for the 18 class too and won't leave those young guys having to carry the load.

Well, I'll paraphrase Nolan who paraphrased the dumb ESPN announcer right before we played Duke for the championship, on here you have the smart posters vs the dumb posters.

Anyone who saw those highlights, high school or freshman D1), would know right away that this kid has a great probability of becoming a foundation piece for this team. Anyone who thinks otherwise is on the short bus of life.

Hogs up! Covid down!

FineAsSwine

Quote from: Hogimus Prime on May 04, 2017, 09:45:42 am
A Harris and Garland backcourt will be fun to watch in 2018

This may be true but how do I square that possibility with my Jones vision. I see CJ really blossoming and becoming a starter. Maybe Harris and Garland will be our point guards, 1 and 1A because in my view, CJ and Darious are going to be starting in 2018.
Hogs up! Covid down!

Big Nasty 34

Quote from: FineAsSwine on May 04, 2017, 09:53:10 am
This may be true but how do I square that possibility with my Jones vision. I see CJ really blossoming and becoming a starter. Maybe Harris and Garland will be our point guards, 1 and 1A because in my view, CJ and Darious are going to be starting in 2018.

We need CJ's 3 Point shooting ability on the wing that's for sure.

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: FineAsSwine on May 04, 2017, 09:47:34 am
Well, I'll paraphrase Nolan who paraphrased the dumb ESPN announcer right before we played Duke for the championship, on here you have the smart posters vs the dumb posters.

Anyone who saw those highlights, high school or freshman D1), would know right away that this kid has a great probability of becoming a foundation piece for this team. Anyone who thinks otherwise is on the short bus of life.
i concur. kid's nasty. Perfect "fit" for fastest 40, too.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

Letsroll1200

If we can get another jabril Durham skill set for 3 years that's going to be big time.

Allhawgdawg

I really, really love this kids game. He is a true point guard and would have made a big impact for us last year. He has speed, handles, vision, and a good athlete. I wish he could play next year because we could use him. I honestly don't understand the concern. This Kid will be a great hog. Welcome to the family Mr Harris! Can't wait to watch you ball out!

Pigswill

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on May 06, 2017, 11:33:04 am
If we can get another jabril Durham skill set for 3 years that's going to be big time.
What??? I was so happy to see Jabril Durham go! Fast and out of control is not a desirable skill set in my mind. Durham was not in Macon's league at all.

BannerMountainMan

Quote from: Pigswill on May 06, 2017, 06:54:29 pm
What??? I was so happy to see Jabril Durham go! Fast and out of control is not a desirable skill set in my mind. Durham was not in Macon's league at all.
you must not watch basketball. Macon and Durham shouldnt even be talked about together two totally different players. Durham was great, best PG since Fortson..he's the really Hannahs and Kingsley had such great years year before last.
"Michael Qualls with the dunk at the buzzer, it goes and Arkansas wins, it goes and Arkansas wins"

snf6278

What impresses me is he's an excellent dribbler with either hand. At first I thought he was a south paw but realized he shoots with his right hand. Very smooth with both hands, I mean he's almost Keith Stone smooth!

RealHog

Quote from: BannerMountainMan on May 06, 2017, 08:28:50 pm
you must not watch basketball. Macon and Durham shouldnt even be talked about together two totally different players. Durham was great, best PG since Fortson..he's the really Hannahs and Kingsley had such great years year before last.

Amen amen amen. Not many hawg ball fans appreciated him as much as they should have, and I knew we would miss him. Hannahs and Kingsley played much better with his passing. Having a real PG again would be fantastic.

daBoar

Quote from: Allhawgdawg on May 06, 2017, 04:20:29 pm
..I honestly don't understand the concern.
The concern is not with his game, but his time on the pine.  We had one scholly, and used it on someone who will redshirt.

HoopS

Quote from: daBoar on May 07, 2017, 10:05:31 am
The concern is not with his game, but his time on the pine.  We had one scholly, and used it on someone who will redshirt.
how many games did we get 13 into the games last year or any year? We will be just fine with 12 and meantime we have a player who can do some things for us in practice while getting ready to run the show the season after. 

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: daBoar on May 07, 2017, 10:05:31 am

Yeah so stupid. I hope this doesn't come back to bite us like that wasted Hannahs schollie

Sarcasm

Big Nasty 34

You sure was glad to see that 3.6 Assist to Turnover ratio graduate. Dang, Hog fans are hilarious. Some clamor for an old school point guard and some are elated that a pretty good one graduated and we were left with a bunch of combo guards.

rude1

Was initially underwhelmed by this pickup, but after reading more logical thoughts on this signing it makes more sense. The grunt work for the next couple of classes is in, while you would always take an available blue chip player, the staff is looking for complimentary players to fit into the 2018 team. I can see the positives of adding this kid to that team, already has a good year of seasoning at the D1  level, gets a year in the system to get stronger and more acclimated, doesn't need to be a star just a facilitator and solid contributer.

Letsroll1200

J. Durham was a big reason Moses Kingsley was voted preseason SEC player of the year.