Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by Hawg Red on 28 Apr 2017
  • For those of you that do not venture to the bball recruiting forum, the Hogs picked up New Mexico Lobos PG transfer Jalen Harris tonight. Committed on his visit. Will sit out this season and have 3 to play.
  • #2 by Pig in the Pokey on 28 Apr 2017
  • beast. sick handles. underrated. will be three years older than this tape when he sees the court for us, so... eeeee

http://247sports.com/Video/Jalen-Harris-Underrated-PG-with-HANDLES-H-3524170?View=Full
  • #3 by Danny J on 28 Apr 2017
  • Great get
  • #4 by HossHog on 28 Apr 2017
  • I REALLY hope he proves me wrong but I can't say I'm particularly impressed with his numbers. Again I hope he proves me wrong and maybe we have a system he can thrive in.
  • #5 by Hawg Red on 28 Apr 2017
  • I REALLY hope he proves me wrong but I can't say I'm particularly impressed with his numbers. Again I hope he proves me wrong and maybe we have a system he can thrive in.

The consensus among Lobo fans (according to a message board I read) was that Craig Neal (who was actually fired AFTER Jalen asked for his release) held not only Jalen but several players back. They said he also had Jalen on a really tight leash and wouldn't let him open up offensively. Would pull him if he shoot "too much" (Jalen only averaged 3 FGA per game despite playing over 20 MPG and starting 18 games). They're excited that the new coach plays a faster style and they though Jalen would thrive under this new coach. I think all this context matters here, and helps explain why Jalen wanted to leave.
  • #6 by batmanfan on 28 Apr 2017
  • He is a Hog now, let's hope for the best!
  • #7 by The_Iceman on 29 Apr 2017
  • #8 by JimDandy on 29 Apr 2017
  • The consensus among Lobo fans (according to a message board I read) was that Craig Neal (who was actually fired AFTER Jalen asked for his release) held not only Jalen but several players back. They said he also had Jalen on a really tight lease and wouldn't let him open up offensively. Would pull him if he shoot "too much" (Jalen only averaged 3 FGA per game despite playing over 20 MPG and starting 18 games). They're excited that the new coach plays a faster style and they though Jalen would thrive under this new coach. I think all this context matters here, and helps explain why Jalen wanted to leave.

Agreed. Also interesting Weir, new UNM coach, plans to run an uptempo motion offense/press like MA's.

Excited to see how Harris pans out. Glad he's a hog, lots of potential.
  • #9 by King Kong on 29 Apr 2017
  • Agreed. Also interesting Weir, new UNM coach, plans to run an uptempo motion offense/press like MA's.

Yeah, I read he was considering going back
  • #10 by Jackrabbit Hog on 29 Apr 2017
  • They said he also had Jalen on a really tight lease and wouldn't let him open up offensively.

Perhaps he should have just stayed in a dorm.
  • #11 by Razorpigg on 29 Apr 2017

• Kid is definitely very talented. Look at those handles!
  • #12 by Hawg Red on 29 Apr 2017
  • Perhaps he should have just stayed in a dorm.

Ha! Good catch.
  • #13 by pigasaurus on 29 Apr 2017
  • Kid is definitely very talented. Look at those handles!

Haven't watched anything like that since Reid and Fortson.
  • #14 by Hogs run wild on 29 Apr 2017
  • Wonder why none of the the Carolina schools wanted him. Maybe just wanted out of state...
  • #15 by NoogaHog on 29 Apr 2017
  • Holy RAMS! That is a pretty video. Does remind me of Fortson and Reid, but longer, right? The height on some of those blocks were as impressive as some of the passes.
  • #16 by ricolacey on 29 Apr 2017
  • Wonder why none of the the Carolina schools wanted him. Maybe just wanted out of state...

Response: Regarding this young man from the film clips I've seen clearly displays his skills sets as a true PG, he is not a combo guard. Harris appears to be fast/quick and has a good handle with the dribble of the basketball he's able to break down defenses for assists or baskets.
  • #17 by The Hogfather on 29 Apr 2017
  • This is GREAT news.  If Macon and Barford come back, Razorback basketball has the chance to have sustained success for years to come.
  • #18 by TheRazorback500 on 29 Apr 2017
  • Nice pickup. WPS!

:razorback:
  • #19 by poloprince on 29 Apr 2017
  • The consensus among Lobo fans (according to a message board I read) was that Craig Neal (who was actually fired AFTER Jalen asked for his release) held not only Jalen but several players back. They said he also had Jalen on a really tight leash and wouldn't let him open up offensively. Would pull him if he shoot "too much" (Jalen only averaged 3 FGA per game despite playing over 20 MPG and starting 18 games). They're excited that the new coach plays a faster style and they though Jalen would thrive under this new coach. I think all this context matters here, and helps explain why Jalen wanted to leave.

He will definitely get more than 3 field goal attempts per game in 2018.
  • #20 by rzrbackramsfan on 29 Apr 2017
  • When was the last time we had someone with handles like this?
  • #21 by FineAsSwine on 29 Apr 2017
  • Love this commitment! Welcome aboard!!!
  • #22 by Big Nasty 34 on 01 May 2017
  • When was the last time we had someone with handles like this?

Fortson.
  • #23 by younghog on 01 May 2017
  • Dude has made skills and superb vision..

Can't wait to see him play..

GO HOGS
  • #24 by Hawg Red on 01 May 2017
  • He will definitely get more than 3 field goal attempts per game in 2018.

Without question.

For context, the only Razorbacks on this year's team to attempt 3 FG/game or less: Arlando Cook (2.47 FGA/game in 11.3 MPG), C.J. Jones (1.7 FGA/game in 6 MPG), Trey Thompson (1.5 FGA/game in 14 MPG), and Adrio Bailey (1.44 FGA/game in 7.4 MPG). Harris averaged 20.6 MPG, that would have put him in the Anton Beard/Manny Watkins range of minutes on this year's team. Those players averaged 4.6 and 5.9 FGA/game, respectively. How much different would the perception of this kid be if he had averaged 6-7 PPG as a freshman? I won't be surprised when this kid averages 6-9 PPG as a redshirt sophomore in an offense that actually encourages shot attempts.
  • #25 by outlawhogeywells on 01 May 2017
  • wonder if we are done?  Since he can't play till 2018 do we still go after a transfer
  • #26 by Hawg Red on 01 May 2017
  • wonder if we are done?  Since he can't play till 2018 do we still go after a transfer

No spots open at present unless Barford and/or Macon decide to go pro.
  • #27 by onebadrubi on 01 May 2017
  • This is GREAT news.  If Macon and Barford come back, Razorback basketball has the chance to have sustained success for years to come.

They would never have the opportunity to play together, correct?
  • #28 by Hawg Red on 01 May 2017
  • They would never have the opportunity to play together, correct?

Right. But I don't think he's saying he will be able to play this year. "Sustained success" probably is not possible without Barford and Macon coming back, and adding a player who will have a year in the system once eligible helps offset losing 6 seniors after this coming season (assuming we actually have 6 seniors, that is).
  • #29 by The Hogfather on 01 May 2017
  • They would never have the opportunity to play together, correct?

Correct.
  • #30 by The Hogfather on 01 May 2017
  • Right. But I don't think he's saying he will be able to play this year. "Sustained success" probably is not possible without Barford and Macon coming back, and adding a player who will have a year in the system once eligible helps offset losing 6 seniors after this coming season (assuming we actually have 6 seniors, that is).

Egg Zachary.
  • #31 by onebadrubi on 01 May 2017
  • Right. But I don't think he's saying he will be able to play this year. "Sustained success" probably is not possible without Barford and Macon coming back, and adding a player who will have a year in the system once eligible helps offset losing 6 seniors after this coming season (assuming we actually have 6 seniors, that is).

Gotcha and agree
  • #32 by HawgnCorona on 01 May 2017
  • Haven't watched anything like that since Reid and Fortson.

He reminds me of Steph Curry and Allen Iverson wth his ball skills. Don't fooled by the production his freshman yr. Cant wait for him to lace them up us.

IMO, he is the best of all the PGs we have looked at, lately.

Kudos to the staff.
  • #33 by FineAsSwine on 02 May 2017
  • He reminds me of Steph Curry and Allen Iverson wth his ball skills. Don't fooled by the production his freshman yr. Cant wait for him to lace them up us.

IMO, he is the best of all the PGs we have looked at, lately.

Kudos to the staff.

Mine too, and I felt that way while the others were in play.
  • #34 by The_Iceman on 02 May 2017
  • Video of him playing at new mexico:

• #35 by The_Iceman on 02 May 2017
  • True PG:
  • #36 by Hawg Red on 02 May 2017
  • There is going to be some very exciting moments when Harris, Gafford, Perry, Garland, Jones, Bailey, Sills, Hall, and Joe are all on the same team. I'm seeing some deadly small-ball potential. I see us playing faster in the coming seasons. Slowly but surely we're seeing Hawg Ball return.
Pages:
Actions