Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Coach Bielema has done a pretty good job

Started by Deep Shoat, April 26, 2017, 10:33:26 am

Previous topic - Next topic

MuskogeeHogFan

May 06, 2017, 05:39:25 pm #150 Last Edit: May 06, 2017, 05:54:11 pm by MuskogeeHogFan
Quote from: LZH on May 06, 2017, 04:31:58 pm
Why do people keep saying this?

I think it is quite possible that he has, but the proof is in the puddin.

I know these things to be fact with regard to recruiting level, talent development and how talented, that talent turns out to be.

Arkansas is tied with Georgia at #14 in the country for having produced the most drafted players from 2013-2017 (21).

But Arkansas is also only one of four teams of that grouping of 15 teams that has produced single digit numbers of 3rd round draft choices over that time as well and among those ranked with or above us, we have the fewest 3rd round draft choices during that time with just 3. That might not seem like much until you look at how it all lays out in our conference and on the national landscape (vs. the competition that we play) and then you begin to understand why we have such a difficult time winning at a higher level in the SEC.

Arkansas may be tied with Georgia at #14 for the most players drafted from 2013-2017 but we are also ranked #41 in the country with the number of 3rd round or better draft choices that we have produced. It isn't that we don't have talent, it is just that we haven't seemed to recruit or produce upper echelon talent as it relates to the perception of the NFL. Really good talent (identified, recruited, signed and developed) but just not the great talent levels that we have to face in the SEC.

Here's a great example.

From 2013-2017 Arkansas had 21 players drafted with 3 of them being in the 3rd round or above.

During the same period Oklahoma had 24 players drafted with 5 of them being in the 3rd round or above.

Not that big of a difference in terms of talent and developed talent, at least as far as the NFL perception goes.

But when it comes to wins and losses, that is where the differences in the strength of conferences comes into play.

So are we recruiting pretty good talent? Yes. Are we recruiting enough high end talent to take down the big boys in our Division on a regular basis? Not yet.
Go Hogs Go!

jlhogfan

When those services rank recruits, is it based on what they think they could do in College or NFL? 

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: jlhogfan on May 06, 2017, 05:45:40 pm
When those services rank recruits, is it based on what they think they could do in College or NFL? 

High School, which as we all know, isn't exactly flawless. That's why the better measuring stick for the vast majority of players is 3 years into their college careers and after that, who is developed enough to be considered to be good enough to be drafted. And even then, with all of the detailed evaluation that the NFL attempts to perform, they too can miss on players from time to time.
Go Hogs Go!

jlhogfan

Quote from: wildhogman on May 06, 2017, 05:27:13 pm
how did those high rankings workout for Ole miss the past 3 years?  Rankings are nice but the game is played on the field,,develope your players more then a hugh freeze or gus malazan and your win more then you lose

From 2012-2015 they went from 7-10 wins improving each year.  Last year they imploded and got busted, however

LRRandy

Quote from: LR54 on May 06, 2017, 03:56:33 pm
That's the point of a player development program. It doesn't depend on recruiting rankings. CBB has brought in some solid classes top to bottom. More importantly, there hasn't been much attrition, so the players have stayed around to be developed.

Between recruiting for a different style of play and having to fill gaps left by attrition and some recruiting whiffs, CBB is just now able to focus on building some depth at most positions.

And he's had to do it with a 25 scholly limit that previous coaches didn't have to deal with.
the scholarship limit for football has been 85 since 1984. What new rule has Beilema been saddled with that his predecessors did not?
This is fun, isn't it.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: LRRandy on May 06, 2017, 06:12:58 pm
the scholarship limit for football has been 85 since 1984. What new rule has Beilema been saddled with that his predecessors did not?

The 25 scholarship limit in the SEC, but you knew that already.
Go Hogs Go!

LRRandy

Quote from: LR54 on May 06, 2017, 10:18:43 am
SEC-W records for the last 2 seasons.

AL - 15-1
LSU - 10-6
AR - 8-8
Aggies - 8-8
Ole Miss - 8-8
MS St. - 7-9
AU - 7-9

Bama is in a league of their own right now, but the Hogs look to be in the mix with everybody else. When a program is being built by recruiting to needs and player development, over trying to recruit star power, results may not come as fast as some would want. Considering CBB is just now at the point of being able to work on quality depth, we stand to be more competitive going forward.
yeah, that's how the rest of the nation looks at it too.
This is fun, isn't it.

LRRandy

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on May 06, 2017, 06:14:37 pm
The 25 scholarship limit in the SEC, but you knew that already.
you mean actually havin to play by the rules that the other conferences had been for years.
This is fun, isn't it.

Gonzo

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on May 06, 2017, 04:13:49 pm
That is an opinion that I believe to be absolutely illogical. I am one of the original people calling for Nutt to be canned, his last 5 years he was sliding by beating weak competition with a very weak roster top to bottom. BB has not been perfect, and has dropped 5or 6 games in his time he shouldn't have, but he has assembled the best talent and one of the best staffs at Arkansas in 30+ years. The downside is the SEC West is the absolute best it has ever been in history IMO. Am I thrilled at the Wins and Losses, absolutely not, but I am ecstatic about the condition of the program and I can see it paying huge dividends over the next 5 years and us experiencing a Hog football Renaissance much like but more sustainable than what BP did.

Think about it like this, BP's last year, what teams concerned you on our schedule? In my mind it's the ones that beat us, because they were the only ones that had the talent level to beat us! Look at our schedule this year and who are you concerned about? It's not about us, it's them. HDN and even BP to a degree were playing AAA, BB has been at the MLB level since he has been here IMO. So logically his tenure has not been a disappointment.

By "minor league (AAA)" do you mean the league BP faced where 4 different teams made a total of 5 appearances in the BCS championship game, and 3 different schools brought all 4 titles back to the SEC?    Is that the minor league you of which you speak?            LOL!    The SEC is much top heavier right now than it was then, it's just one really big dog.

Go Hogs!

hawginbigd1

Quote from: Gonzo on May 06, 2017, 08:35:00 pm

By "minor league (AAA)" do you mean the league BP faced where 4 different teams made a total of 5 appearances in the BCS championship game, and 3 different schools brought all 4 titles back to the SEC?    Is that the minor league you of which you speak?            LOL!    The SEC is much top heavier right now than it was then, it's just one really big dog.

Go Hogs!
Not sure you can say that with a straight face the facts do not bear that out. Go back and look at 10, 11, and 12 conference standings that doesn't include A&M and tell me the entire league wasn't really about 4 or 5 teams including us. Ole miss and MSU were horrible compared to where they have been the last 4 years, and as I said no A&M so like I said facts matter.

Gonzo

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on May 06, 2017, 08:58:02 pm
Not sure you can say that with a straight face the facts do not bear that out. Go back and look at 10, 11, and 12 conference standings that doesn't include A&M and tell me the entire league wasn't really about 4 or 5 teams including us. Ole miss and MSU were horrible compared to where they have been the last 4 years, and as I said no A&M so like I said facts matter.

Thanks for confirming my point. Yes, it was about several teams at that time, it's one now. I can say it with an absolutely straight face because the very facts I presented really do bear out exactly that.

Go Hogs!

hawginbigd1

Quote from: Gonzo on May 06, 2017, 09:23:19 pm
Thanks for confirming my point. Yes, it was about several teams at that time, it's one now. I can say it with an absolutely straight face because the very facts I presented really do bear out exactly that.

Go Hogs!
No it's not about one, there is one that is better than all others in any league, that says nothing about the rest of the conference. The point is the west over BB's tenure is better than the entire conference was in the past.

wildhogman

Quote from: Gonzo on May 06, 2017, 09:23:19 pm

Go Hogs!
what exactly was your point again. Because I don't think BP's record is very good against those 3 or 4 teams you speak of.
And as I tire of BP greatest post, remind me again what his record against SEC teams was in 2016 with his award winning QB.

LRRandy

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on May 06, 2017, 11:51:47 pm
No it's not about one, there is one that is better than all others in any league, that says nothing about the rest of the conference. The point is the west over BB's tenure is better than the entire conference was in the past.
while Bama is very good, they have 2 losses to teams from other conferences in the last 3 playoffs. If your statement was actually true they would have 3 titles in a row. It's says volumes about the rest of the conference. Only one team in the conference has been able to beat them recently and that team is currently in trouble for stacking their team by cheating.
This is fun, isn't it.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: LRRandy on May 07, 2017, 07:22:51 am
while Bama is very good, they have 2 losses to teams from other conferences in the last 3 playoffs. If your statement was actually true they would have 3 titles in a row. It's says volumes about the rest of the conference. Only one team in the conference has been able to beat them recently and that team is currently in trouble for stacking their team by cheating.

As it relates to talent levels, Alabama probably shouldn't ever be beaten, but odd things happen in games that can occasionally turn the game a different direction.

From 2012 through the 2016 season they have averaged (rounding) 13-1 seasons. On top of that, in the NFL Draft's that followed each of those seasons, they have had 41 players drafted, the most in P-5. 26 of those 41 have been drafted in rounds 1-3 and again, the most of any team in P-5 conferences.

Alabama probably should have beaten Clemson and won another NC last year but they lost their OC to a HC'ing job and their heir to the OC's job had his mind on the NFL so I am not sure that he had his mind on his job as he might have had if he expected to return to Alabama. I know Clemson had a good defense, but Alabama's was good too. The Alabama offense just didn't show up for that game.

But, look at Ohio State over that same period of 2012-2016. They averaged 12-1 seasons, had 33 players drafted and 23 of those in the first three rounds, but they have been beaten as well. Theoretically, you could say the same thing about Ohio State, especially when they don't play a schedule as difficult as many SEC teams.

Point is, Alabama is usually the best that the SEC has to offer these days but despite what some may think, their players and staff are human and make mistakes just like any other team. Heck Clemson lost to Pitt in their own conference during the season. Does that diminish their NC? Nope.
Go Hogs Go!

Gonzo

Quote from: wildhogman on May 07, 2017, 12:13:25 am
what exactly was your point again. Because I don't think BP's record is very good against those 3 or 4 teams you speak of.
And as I tire of BP greatest post, remind me again what his record against SEC teams was in 2016 with his award winning QB.

And what exactly is your point? Remind me again where I was claiming he was "the greatest". We were discussing the overall quality of the SEC then vs now. Care to discuss that?

Go Hogs!

Gonzo

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on May 06, 2017, 11:51:47 pm

See Randy above for refuting your first point.

Again, it's really simple. Then = the culmination of a run of 7 straight national titles for the SEC from 4 different schools, including the only instance of one conference grabbing both slots in the title game. Now = only one team in the national title hunt. You said it yourself, facts matter. They do not back you up.

Go Hogs!

LRRandy

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on May 07, 2017, 07:52:24 am
As it relates to talent levels, Alabama probably shouldn't ever be beaten, but odd things happen in games that can occasionally turn the game a different direction.

From 2012 through the 2016 season they have averaged (rounding) 13-1 seasons. On top of that, in the NFL Draft's that followed each of those seasons, they have had 41 players drafted, the most in P-5. 26 of those 41 have been drafted in rounds 1-3 and again, the most of any team in P-5 conferences.

Alabama probably should have beaten Clemson and won another NC last year but they lost their OC to a HC'ing job and their heir to the OC's job had his mind on the NFL so I am not sure that he had his mind on his job as he might have had if he expected to return to Alabama. I know Clemson had a good defense, but Alabama's was good too. The Alabama offense just didn't show up for that game.

But, look at Ohio State over that same period of 2012-2016. They averaged 12-1 seasons, had 33 players drafted and 23 of those in the first three rounds, but they have been beaten as well. Theoretically, you could say the same thing about Ohio State, especially when they don't play a schedule as difficult as many SEC teams.

Point is, Alabama is usually the best that the SEC has to offer these days but despite what some may think, their players and staff are human and make mistakes just like any other team. Heck Clemson lost to Pitt in their own conference during the season. Does that diminish their NC? Nope.
Alabama has had the number one recruiting class in the nation for what, 7? Years in a row? They are supremely talented at every position. When getting to the playoffs and facing teams that while maybe not equally talented across the board, are as talented in many spots. In those games it comes down to execution by those players. Clemson executed that final drive against a very good Bama defense to win the title game. Clemson had the athletes to get it done and Bama showed, in your phrasing, that they were human. That is the fun of getting to watch the top teams square off in the playoff. Frankly, I'm hoping to see Bama be a little more " human" in the next few seasons. Hopefully 2-3 humans a year. 😃

This is fun, isn't it.

LR54

Quote from: Gonzo on May 07, 2017, 08:10:47 am
See Randy above for refuting your first point.

Again, it's really simple. Then = the culmination of a run of 7 straight national titles for the SEC from 4 different schools, including the only instance of one conference grabbing both slots in the title game. Now = only one team in the national title hunt. You said it yourself, facts matter. They do not back you up.

Go Hogs!

Actually, they do.

NC titles or appearances only require one (or 2) exceptional teams each season. That doesn't address top to bottom parity within the conference or division.

In 2 of the last 3 seasons, all 7 teams in the SEC-W had winning records and played in post season bowl games. Following the 2015 season, 6 of the 7 West teams won those games.

If you were trying to make the case that the SEC-W was tougher during the BP era, then the facts don't really back that up.

It's also worth noting that since CBB has been at Arkansas, over half his games have been against ranked teams. I don't recall BP having to face that.

MuskogeeHogFan

May 07, 2017, 01:33:38 pm #169 Last Edit: May 07, 2017, 02:03:16 pm by MuskogeeHogFan
Quote from: LRRandy on May 07, 2017, 08:17:54 am
Alabama has had the number one recruiting class in the nation for what, 7? Years in a row? They are supremely talented at every position. When getting to the playoffs and facing teams that while maybe not equally talented across the board, are as talented in many spots. In those games it comes down to execution by those players. Clemson executed that final drive against a very good Bama defense to win the title game. Clemson had the athletes to get it done and Bama showed, in your phrasing, that they were human. That is the fun of getting to watch the top teams square off in the playoff. Frankly, I'm hoping to see Bama be a little more " human" in the next few seasons. Hopefully 2-3 humans a year. 😃

To me, that is exactly what a coach or a media person means when they speak of the "any given day" thing as it relates to playing the schedule of games in a season. We have all seen it happen before. The most talented team doesn't always win and that can be for a number of reasons. As we all know, it isn't always a case of everything working out the way it is supposed to work out. How does Arkansas in 2014, hang with Alabama eventually losing 14-13? Normally, that shouldn't have happened, if you compare simply on the basis of the talent levels of the two teams.

Heck, look at LSU, which is yet another immensely talented team. They are tied for 2nd in the country with Florida State and Florida for having the most overall draft picks from 2013-2017 and 20 of the 35 drafted were in the 1st through 3rd rounds...a lot of upper level professional talent on that team and no one with the exception of Alabama and Ohio State has had more 1st through 3rd round draft picks over that time. Yet, from 2012-2016 seasons they averaged just a 9-4 record each year. So again, the most talented team doesn't always win.
Go Hogs Go!

GuvHog

Quote from: LR54 on May 07, 2017, 11:50:36 am
Actually, they do.

NC titles or appearances only require one (or 2) exceptional teams each season. That doesn't address top to bottom parity within the conference or division.

In 2 of the last 3 seasons, all 7 teams in the SEC-W had winning records and played in post season bowl games. Following the 2015 season, 6 of the 7 West teams won those games.

If you were trying to make the case that the SEC-W was tougher during the BP era, then the facts don't really back that up.

It's also worth noting that since CBB has been at Arkansas, over half his games have been against ranked teams. I don't recall BP having to face that.

When was the last year that the SEC West had 3 teams finish the season in the top 5 nationally in College Football?? The answer to that question is all that is needed to refute your post. The West, though still strong, has not been THAT strong since that year.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: GuvHog on May 07, 2017, 01:52:00 pm
When was the last year that the SEC West had 3 teams finish the season in the top 5 nationally in College Football?? The answer to that question is all that is needed to refute your post. The West, though still strong, has not been THAT strong since that year.

That year (2011 AP Poll) there wasn't any other SEC West team listed in the Top 25, which indicates more top heaviness in the West which also tends to equate to more wins, which equates to a higher ranking.

What about the years when there were more listed in the top 25 overall? That reflects greater parity than one year when 3 teams in the West excelled and others perhaps, underachieved as opposed to what they usually produce.
Go Hogs Go!

HiggiePiggy

2010. Auburn finished 14-0. LSU 11-2. Arkansas and Alabama 10-3. Mississippi State 9-5. Ole miss 4-8.  The east sucked, but South Carolina finished 9-5

2011. LSU 13-1, Alabama, 12-1, Arkansas 11-2, auburn 8-5, Mississippi St. 7-6, and ole miss 2-10. South Carolina finished 11-2 and Georgia 10-4.  So the east like now has been down and the west like now is pretty similar to today.

The last two years of petrino is similar in the sec as the last two years of CBB.  East has been down for awhile while the west have a slugfest.

If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

wachhog

Quote from: LZH on May 06, 2017, 04:31:58 pm
Why do people keep saying this?
they wanted Jeff Long for president?

LR54

Quote from: GuvHog on May 07, 2017, 01:52:00 pm

As that 3rd place team, we weren't competitive against the top 2 teams, losing by 24 points to both. Below us? Auburn was at the beginning of the end for Chizik w/o Cam Newton. Nutt was unraveling at Ole Miss. Mullen was rebuilding from a hole at MS St. A&M wasn't in the division.

Since CBB got here, how does the SEC-W look? Bama continues to be Bama. Auburn is in a NC game. The Aggies enter the division and promptly beat Bama with Manziel. Ole Miss under Freeze beats Bama twice, and is one play away from winning the SEC-W. Mullen has MS St. ranked #1 in the country. LSU is loaded with NFL players and is capable of beating anybody. CBB plays the #1 Tide to within 1 point, shuts out Ole Miss and LSU, and soundly beats SEC-E champion Florida.

THAT's what a strong division looks like.

ATU HOG

2010                                      2011                                 2014                                    2015                              2016
1.  Auburn                              1.  Bama                           4. Bama                               1. Bama                          2. Bama
5.  Ohio State                         2.  LSU                             10. Georgia                           10. Ole Miss                    13. LSU
8.  LSU                                  10. South Carolina              11. MS State                        16. LSU                           14. Florida
10. Bama                               15. K-State                         14. Mizzou                          22. Tennessee                  16.  V- Tech
15. MS. State                                                                    22. Auburn                                                              24. Auburn
19. A&M                                Top 25 Record 2-2                Top 25 Record 0-5                Top 25 Record 3-1            Top 25 Record 1-4
22. South Carolina
Top 25 record: 4-3                     
Record:10-3                            Record: 11-2                         Record 7-6                           Record 8-5                   Record 7-6

ATU HOG

Need to win 9 this year and it's possible.  Season hinges on A&M and TCU

Gonzo

Quote from: LR54 on May 07, 2017, 11:50:36 am
Actually, they do.

Actually, again, no they don't. Conference A - numerous teams WINNING national championships, Conference B - one team contending for national titlles. No matter how long, how loud, how passionately you argue that conference B is better,  you're going to be wrong.It's really simple, I'm sorry for you you can't see that.

Go Hogs!

Al Boarland

Quote from: ATU HOG on May 08, 2017, 09:54:44 am
Need to win 9 this year and it's possible.  Season hinges on A&M and TCU

I think the MS schools are the swing games.

Wildhog

Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

LR54

Quote from: Gonzo on May 09, 2017, 02:18:46 am
Actually, again, no they don't. Conference A - numerous teams WINNING national championships, Conference B - one team contending for national titlles. No matter how long, how loud, how passionately you argue that conference B is better,  you're going to be wrong.It's really simple, I'm sorry for you you can't see that.

Go Hogs!

That still has nothing to do with the overall strength in the division.

During the BP era, SEC-W teams with winning records averaged 4.5.

For the same number of years under CBB, West teams with winning records have averaged 6.25.

Both divisions produced NCs. Which division was tougher to win?

While BP was here, Bama and Auburn won NCs. 2008 thru 2012 - Bama won 3. Auburn 1

While CBB has been here. Bama and Auburn have been in the NC game. Auburn once, Bama in the new playoff system 3 out of 3. Granted, they didn't win all of 'em, but the fact is, they faced tougher competition to get there. 

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: The ColonelHog on May 09, 2017, 11:12:11 am
STOP IT!  The SEC is nowhere near as competitive as it was in the past!  There is ONE, and only ONE team in the SEC that have a shot at winning a NC!  In previous years there were 4!

If your definition of "competitive" equates only to winning games, then overall, you might be wrong. What elements make up being competitive? Is it the amount of talent you have on your team, the coaching staff that you have, the offensive and defensive schemes that you run and who you have to play to win games (schedule)? You are painting with a pretty broad brush when you make a statement like the SEC isn't as competitive as in the past. Hopefully you have some rational facts to back that up?
Go Hogs Go!

LR54

Quote from: The ColonelHog on May 09, 2017, 11:12:11 am
STOP IT!  The SEC is nowhere near as competitive as it was in the past!  There is ONE, and only ONE team in the SEC that have a shot at winning a NC!  In previous years there were 4!

I don't know what previous years you're talking about. During the BP years, 2 of the 4 years only had 1 SEC-W team with double digit wins, and that was Bama.

4 of the last 5 years have had more than 1 double digit winner. The only year there has been less than 2 was last season. If you want to claim the SEC "is nowhere near as competitive as it was in the past", based on one outlier year, have at it.

The fact is that the SEC-W has more winning teams over the last 4 years than at ANY time in the past.

Paul

I think BB has done a good job here.  The end of the 2016 season sucked.  What coach would realistically come here & build a better program? 

LRRandy

Quote from: Paul on May 09, 2017, 06:04:29 pm
I think BB has done a good job here.  The end of the 2016 season sucked.  What coach would realistically come here & build a better program?
so is this the reasoning most hog fans use?  He's the best you an get?
This is fun, isn't it.

LZH

hoghearted

same argument we heard during the Nutt debacle.
It really is this simple. Unchecked government power leads to corruption, and lack of accountability for it is drastically eroding confidence in our institutions.    aristotle

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Paul on May 09, 2017, 06:04:29 pm

Quote from: LRRandy on May 09, 2017, 06:13:14 pm
so is this the reasoning most hog fans use?  He's the best you an get?

I don't think that was the reasoning behind his post.
Go Hogs Go!

Hogwild

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on May 07, 2017, 01:33:38 pm
Heck, look at LSU, which is yet another immensely talented team. They are tied for 2nd in the country with Florida State and Florida for having the most overall draft picks from 2013-2017 and 20 of the 35 drafted were in the 1st through 3rd rounds...a lot of upper level professional talent on that team and no one with the exception of Alabama and Ohio State has had more 1st through 3rd round draft picks over that time. Yet, from 2012-2016 seasons they averaged just a 9-4 record each year. So again, the most talented team doesn't always win.

You do realize they fired their coach, who averaged 10 wins a year for a decade and took them to two National Title games?

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Hogwild on May 10, 2017, 08:54:12 am
You do realize they fired their coach, who averaged 10 wins a year for a decade and took them to two National Title games?

No, I had no idea.  ;)

The last 5 years he should have done better with the talent at his disposal, but he didn't. LSU apparently believed that as well.

But let's not get off the topic. You can see why Arkansas has had such a difficult time and on top of that, in the last couple of years we have probably left 4-5 games on the field that we should have won. The SEC is just a tough place to play.
Go Hogs Go!

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: The ColonelHog on May 10, 2017, 09:01:33 am

I was referring to the big bad SECW discussion.  You can play semantics all you want but there is not one ounce of proof that suggest the SECW is better now than it was 10 years ago.  It's an illogical suggestion and some need to let that narrative go.  Competitive?  Bama is the ONLY team in the SEC that has the talent and coach to reach the NC.  What evidence exist to contradict this assertion?  The only measure for SEC teams is how they do on the field against other P5 teams.  The most current data derived from performance on the field last season suggest teams in the SEC are not superior to all other P5 teams.  I loved chanting SEC as SEC teams steam rolled other P5 schools in OOC games and bowls but that didn't bare out this past season.  That's fact and it's supported by results on the field using current data.  What say ye? 

Check out the numbers I posted in another thread below (another set of power rankings) if you don't think the SEC is a tougher place to play now, than it was in the past.
Go Hogs Go!

Al Boarland

Quote from: The ColonelHog on May 10, 2017, 09:32:29 am
I really don't care about the past or the BP SEC versus the BB SEC.  what I care about is that BP put HOG FB back in the national discussion by winning games.  It hasn't happened since his departure and we are going into year 5.  In my mind it is deliver this year or kick rocks.  ANY coach can deliver consistent 7-6 seasons.  The fans and the team deserve better.  It's been done before and that tells me it can be done again.  Hell, I'll take 9-3!  Lose to Bama, Auburn, and LSU every year and beat the putrid SECE teams and I think that's 9-3 and national prominence again even if it is only 3rd best in the SECW.  Is that asking too much?  The question has to be asked, if not this season, WHEN?  Next season with a new QB and the top rated center gone?
There will be excuses if it doesn't happen, but you're right. If not this season, when?

LR54

Quote from: The ColonelHog on May 10, 2017, 09:20:33 am
What constitutes an outlier versus a shift in history?  Is it called an outlier because the SEC struggled against P5 competition?  Unfortunately we won't have the answer to outlier versus shift in history until the bowl season because the SECW as a whole only play 3 P5 schools during OOC competition.  I know what agenda everyone pounding their chest over the tough SECW Is about.  It's to explain away a mediocre FB program on the Hill.  In psychological circles it's called "victimization."  And even if the SECW is so tough, when will UA become one of the hunted instead of the victim and hunter?  Never?  Is that acceptable?  Today, right now, Bama is Bama, Auburn is a question mark, LSU has a joke for a coach, aTm is about to fire their coach, Ole Miss is in shambles, and MissST does not have superior talent compared to UA.  So if UA doesn't become the hunter now, then WHEN?

Muskogee's excellent research proves exactly why the SEC-W is tougher now than in the past.

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on May 10, 2017, 08:50:21 am
I think it is fair to say that Bielema has had an uphill battle that has been made more difficult for a variety of reasons. Most teams that we play have increased the amount of talent that they have on their teams and then too, our recruiting criteria has changed where we aren't just looking for better talent, but better character in the players that we pursue and in doing so, we narrow the number of players that we will pursue. I'm not saying that this is a bad thing, just that it makes the process more difficult.

Take a look at how many players each team had drafted (good talent) at any level and then look at the number of 1st-3rd Rounders (great talent) from each team comparing the periods of 2013-2017 to 2008-2012. You can see that some teams really ramped-up their recruiting while others remained static and some, but very few, regressed. Most of the West either got better or remained static.

In particular, look at the number of 1st-3rd Rd draft choices generated by each team and that might help explain the increase in competition levels. It isn't that the SEC isn't as competitive as it used to be, it is just that competition levels in general have increased. A case of beating each other up in most instances.

Years                      2013-17      2013-17       2008-12      2008-12
Team                      All Picks       1 – 3 Rd       All Picks      1 – 3 Rd
ALA                           41               26              24              18
LSU                           35               20              30              16
FLA                           35               17              20              11
GEO                           21               8               28              10
ARK                           21                3               15               5
A&M                          18               12               13               3
AUB                           17                7               15               8
USC                           16                3               14               3
MIZ                           16                9               13                8
MSU                           13               7                9                 2
TEN                           13                7               13                6
MIS                           11                6               10                5
VAN                            8                2                8                 4
KEN                            5                 2               12                3

Those stats also show the how and why the number of teams with winning records in the SECW have risen from an average of 4.5 to 6.25.

With an 8-8 conference record over the last 2 seasons, that puts the Hogs tied for 3rd place in the West. By these numbers, that's about where they should be right now.

MuskogeeHogFan

I really don't care about the past or the BP SEC versus the BB SEC.  what I care about is that BP put HOG FB back in the national discussion by winning games.  It hasn't happened since his departure and we are going into year 5.  In my mind it is deliver this year or kick rocks.  ANY coach can deliver consistent 7-6 seasons.  The fans and the team deserve better.  It's been done before and that tells me it can be done again.  Hell, I'll take 9-3!  Lose to Bama, Auburn, and LSU every year and beat the putrid SECE teams and I think that's 9-3 and national prominence again even if it is only 3rd best in the SECW.  Is that asking too much?  The question has to be asked, if not this season, WHEN?  Next season with a new QB and the top rated center gone?

That's interesting. You say on one hand that you don't care about comparing the BB era to the BP era and then you turn right around and do the very thing that you said that you didn't care about doing.

All you want is to win. Forget about looking at anything that might indicate that the SEC West and the SEC in general might be a more difficult place to play now than it was in the past. "I JUST WANT TO WIN NOW!"

Well guess what? We ALL want to win more games. We would all like to win 9 or more games each year. Probably isn't going to happen every year, but yes, most of us would like to see that too. Bielema is going to get the 2017 and the 2018 seasons at Arkansas unless he decides to go for a ride with a Coed and has a wreck and lies to his boss.

If he doesn't get it done to JL's liking in the next 2 seasons I suspect he will be gone and we can start over, again. Which will probably lead to at least a couple of more 6-7 win seasons. But be patient, you may get your wish in time. I hope not for the school and the program, but maybe you will.
Go Hogs Go!

Hogwild

I was referring to the big bad SECW discussion.  You can play semantics all you want but there is not one ounce of proof that suggest the SECW is better now than it was 10 years ago.  It's an illogical suggestion and some need to let that narrative go.  Competitive?  Bama is the ONLY team in the SEC that has the talent and coach to reach the NC.  What evidence exist to contradict this assertion? 

The only measure for SEC teams is how they do on the field against other P5 teams.  The most current data derived from performance on the field last season suggest teams in the SEC are not superior to all other P5 teams.  I loved chanting SEC as SEC teams steam rolled other P5 schools in OOC games and bowls but that didn't bare out this past season.  That's fact and it's supported by results on the field using current data.  What say ye?

The ACC was a better than the SEC last season, I don't think their is much of an argument there. But that is only one season. The SEC has been the top conference 9 of the last ten years.

The high water mark for the SEC West was in 2010-2011.

gchamblee

I was referring to the big bad SECW discussion.  You can play semantics all you want but there is not one ounce of proof that suggest the SECW is better now than it was 10 years ago.  It's an illogical suggestion and some need to let that narrative go.  Competitive?  Bama is the ONLY team in the SEC that has the talent and coach to reach the NC.  What evidence exist to contradict this assertion?  The only measure for SEC teams is how they do on the field against other P5 teams.  The most current data derived from performance on the field last season suggest teams in the SEC are not superior to all other P5 teams.  I loved chanting SEC as SEC teams steam rolled other P5 schools in OOC games and bowls but that didn't bare out this past season.  That's fact and it's supported by results on the field using current data.  What say ye?

I found your problem. You define competitive as reaching the National Championship. So, there are only 2 competitive teams in the country each year. That is a hard standard to be graded by.

gchamblee

With the depth we have built at the skill positions, I really dont expect too much drop off when we lose players to graduation and draft. It is getting better with each draft class. I think we are good at quarterback, running back, receivers, defensive backs and hopefully oline as well.

Al Boarland

Quote from: gchamblee on May 10, 2017, 10:33:21 am
With the depth we have built at the skill positions, I really dont expect too much drop off when we lose players to graduation and draft. It is getting better with each draft class. I think we are good at quarterback, running back, receivers, defensive backs and hopefully oline as well.
That's perceived depth, but I question it considering the recruiting class rankings.

gchamblee

Quote from: Al Boarland on May 10, 2017, 10:40:26 am
That's perceived depth, but I question it considering the recruiting class rankings.

Nobody is surprised that you question anything. What was the class rank when we got Agim? Brandon Allen? Austin Allen? Alex Collins? Rawleigh williams? Devwah Whaley? Ryan Mallet? Knile Davis? Joe Adams? Greg Childs? About the same as our current class rankings I would assume but that was some quality talent.

Hawgar The Horrible

Quote from: gchamblee on May 10, 2017, 12:55:38 pm
Nobody is surprised that you question anything. What was the class rank when we got Agim? Brandon Allen? Austin Allen? Alex Collins? Rawleigh williams? Devwah Whaley? Ryan Mallet? Knile Davis? Joe Adams? Greg Childs? About the same as our current class rankings I would assume but that was some quality talent.

Considering his outlook, I'm surprised he hasn't tried to catch a bullet with his teeth.
There are fans and there are supporters. The latter carries the weight.