Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Coach Bielema has done a pretty good job

Started by Deep Shoat, April 26, 2017, 10:33:26 am

Previous topic - Next topic

The Kig

Quote from: GuvHog on April 27, 2017, 11:05:26 am
(Defense tanked). The recent changes in defensive coaches and the defensive scheme indicate that CBB realizes the urgency of the situation and as a result, I believe the team will have a much better record this coming season.

Unquestionably,  the defense stunk...and they stunk the year before.  What's debatable is whether he made the change out of some sense of urgency or simply recognition that what we were trying to do defensively wasn't working and wasn't going to work due to a combination of scheme, coach and most critically personnel.   Hiring Rhoads the year before was an indication that there was a plan vs. a knee jerk reaction.   

No doubt, there is a clock ticking on the next two years and CBB is aware of that fact.  What I am not convinced of is that is the "WHY" the changes were made.  Due to the complexity of installing an entirely new scheme, I am not even sure that fans expectations are going to be met this year.   What I do believe is that we will win more games (as we should have last year) and the defense will improve.   It's hard to fathom how they could be worse. 
Poker Porker

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: The Kig on April 27, 2017, 12:10:13 pm
Unquestionably,  the defense stunk...and they stunk the year before.  What's debatable is whether he made the change out of some sense of urgency or simply recognition that what we were trying to do defensively wasn't working and wasn't going to work due to a combination of scheme, coach and most critically personnel.   Hiring Rhoads the year before was an indication that there was a plan vs. a knee jerk reaction.   

No doubt, there is a clock ticking on the next two years and CBB is aware of that fact.  What I am not convinced of is that is the "WHY" the changes were made.  Due to the complexity of installing an entirely new scheme, I am not even sure that fans expectations are going to be met this year.   What I do believe is that we will win more games (as we should have last year) and the defense will improve.   It's hard to fathom how they could be worse. 

I think the change was made in accordance with the need to present a defense that is more applicable to the styles of offenses that we are facing. As for the difficulty in making the change, the players have said that this is simpler and easier to understand than the 4-3 because there are fewer reads involved. Just yesterday I think it was Ramirez who was saying that there are 1 or 2 reads now compared to last year when there might have been 3 or 4 each play. That is less confusing and allows them to play faster and more confidently without having to think and second guess, which of course slows down play.

And as you point out, the hiring of Paul Rhoads most likely wasn't an accident and if that is true, then you have to think that the kids they recruited for defense in 2016 and 2017 were probably signed with the idea in mind that they needed to fit a 3-4 more so than a 4-3. But that's just a guess on my part.
Go Hogs Go!

gchamblee

Quote from: ricepig on April 27, 2017, 11:33:04 am
Losing to Miss St is embarrassing? Didn't Mizzou win the East in 2014? I wouldn't call those losses embarrassing, lol.

Dak is making it rough on NFL DC's but we should be embarrassed for losing to him. Catch up man.

The Kig

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on April 27, 2017, 12:20:10 pm
But that's just a guess on my part.

Exactly.  The beauty of the interweb message board.  For all the posturing on both sides, very few of us are doing much more than making educated (Massive stretch for some posters) guesses. 

As for me, I would much rather believe that whoever is running our program has a plan.  CBB is in a tough spot coming to Arkansas during the height of the reign of the SEC-W and making us competitive.   Despite frustration with the progress and the yearning of our fanbase to win every game, there are signs (for those willing to look) that we are building a more solid foundation.   As much as I liked the Petrino offensive period, there was no base for sustainable success.  CBB inherited a house that was built on sand.  Leveling the flashy neon signs and starting over is excruciatingly slow for the instant gratification crowd and for those of us who have watched this program for almost 50 years. 

CBB looks like a big ole farmboy from the South sometimes on TV, which leads many to underestimate his ability/intelligence.   I learned long ago that looks/accents can be deceiving.   
Poker Porker

Al Boarland

Quote from: RebelW on April 26, 2017, 06:12:02 pm
I'll tell you something that I'm pretty happy with is that CBB has added more depth than we've had in a LONNNGGGG time. Ecspecially the LB position

I don't think it is the QUALITY depth needed for the 3-4 or the SEC in general at LB.

Al Boarland

Quote from: Pork Twain on April 27, 2017, 06:46:54 am
This has been my stance all along.  All you had to do was look at how teams at Wisconsin were built to know it was going to be built the same way here and that it was going to take 4-5 years to get that depth in place.

True, but this is the year it should show. I mean, the schedule has never been easier. After this season there are no more give it time posts left to be made. The analytics/experts/vegas sure as hell aren't calling for the Hogs to contend for the West. You would think after all this methodical building people would be on the wagon. I'm not seeing the built product. Maybe I am and this is what it is. I suspect that to be the case. We all know he will get more time, but at what point is the writing on the wall for those that have expectations that CBB will have a contender?

jabberjawls

Quote from: gchamblee on April 27, 2017, 12:20:51 pm
Dak is making it rough on NFL DC's but we should be embarrassed for losing to him. Catch up man.
Umm....hey Jen, you might want to go and rewatch the game.  i think the poster was spot on.

LZH

Quote from: Hawghiggs on April 26, 2017, 03:00:04 pm
No he has not. He has been average at best. He has a 10-22 conference record. 25-26 overall record.  He is well liked and well thought of nationally. But what are his marque wins at Arkansas?  Texas?

Yepper.  Still trips me out that so many guys think he's done such a good job.  And if he goes 7-6 again this year, any confidence I may have gained in him after wins like Texas, Ole Miss and LSU in 2014 (2015?), and Florida last year will be a bizarre memory (which quite frankly, feels like it now).

ricepig

Quote from: LZH on April 27, 2017, 03:42:24 pm
Yepper.  Still trips me out that so many guys think he's done such a good job.  And if he goes 7-6 again this year, any confidence I may have gained in him after wins like Texas, Ole Miss and LSU in 2014 (2015?), and Florida last year will be a bizarre memory (which quite frankly, feels like it now).
The OP said he has done a pretty good job on his assistant hires. Of course, most didn't read that and just added their two cents.

LZH

My first sentence was actually referring to the assistant coaching issues.  Enos is good.....anyone else?  Who knows.

The rest after that was my two cents.

ricepig

Quote from: LZH on April 27, 2017, 04:07:40 pm
My first sentence was actually referring to the assistant coaching issues.  Enos is good.....anyone else?  Who knows.

The rest after that was my two cents.

Oh.........

jabberjawls

Quote from: ricepig on April 27, 2017, 03:58:28 pm
The OP said he has done a pretty good job on his assistant hires. Of course, most didn't read that and just added their two cents.
Doesn't the measuring stick still boil down to W's and L's? 

ricepig

Quote from: jabberjawls on April 27, 2017, 04:46:11 pm
Doesn't the measuring stick still boil down to W's and L's? 

I'd say it depends on what you are measuring.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: LZH on April 27, 2017, 03:42:24 pm

None of us need to be scientific rockets to figure out that Bielema hasn't won as many games as all of us would like to have seen him win. But in other areas he has done a good job.

Some only measure success and improvement in terms of wins, others are willing to accept less than stellar results in terms of wins for cleaning up the program and producing solid citizens that will represent the program and the school for years to come. Still others want both, success in the classroom, discipline within the program, higher graduation rates AND more wins.

Not a single one of these groups is going to be happy all of the time unless he produces all of the above and that, is a tall order for any HC and even more so at Arkansas.

All that said (as I stated previously), Bielema is going to have to occasionally knock down 10-11 wins and at least be in the mix for the West along with the mixture of 7, 8, 9 win seasons, regardless of greater academic success and good citizenship, to keep the masses from calling for his head. As sad as it may be, most fans could care less if these kids graduate and find success in life as long as they entertain us while they are here, go to a good bowl game and win and average 9-10 wins every season.
Go Hogs Go!

LZH

I'd never suggest recruiting a bunch of woman-abusers or bank robbers, but we're not Yale.....or even Vandy.  And fwiw, I don't think it's an SEC coaches' job to babysit his players.  If they wanna degree, they'll get one.  The coaches' primary job is to win.  If it isn't, then why are they all fired after successive sub-.500 seasons?

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: LZH on April 27, 2017, 05:25:45 pm
I'd never suggest recruiting a bunch of woman-abusers or bank robbers, but we're not Yale.....or even Vandy.  And fwiw, I don't think it's an SEC coaches' job to babysit his players.  If they wanna degree, they'll get one.  The coaches' primary job is to win.  If it isn't, then why are they all fired after successive sub-.500 seasons?

I guess we will have to disagree LZH because I think it is absolutely the responsibility of HC's at Colleges and Universities to help bring young men into responsible manhood and that includes the instilling of discipline in their lives and either helping them continue the work of their parents or begin to shape and form themselves into productive, quality citizens. Teachers and coaches may be the second or third most influential person in a young persons life and in some cases, the most influential, so that is a part of, at the very least, what the job should be about. I don't want a HC whose singular focus is on winning games and the well being of the student-athlete be-darned.

Making it more difficult is the demand by fan bases and some Administrations to win at high levels and that is a difficult balance to be achieved and maintained. Some Administrations put more emphasis on the need to win at high levels than they do on what kind of students and graduates that they produce. Naturally, most people want both and become absolutely frustrated when they find that this is more difficult to achieve than they have convinced themselves to believe.

We all want to win more. Personally, I'm not willing to sacrifice the overall quality of the program or the development of good, quality young men just to win more games. We are recruiting better quality people and we are recruiting better players than we have in the past. Hopefully it will all come together so that everyone can be more satisfied with the results.
Go Hogs Go!

We have 4 years + invested in this HC and there are some very positive things that have happened on his watch.  The graduation rate and the staying out of serious trouble rate are two things that may have never been as good as they currently are.  Recruiting is as good and maybe a touch better than anyone in the past 20 to 25 years.  The assistants in general haven't been up to standard in my opinion.  I and I believe many on here, believed his position on assistants at Wisconsin in that he didn't have money to retain them.  He still isn't retaining assistants here, some because they were POOR hires to begin with some due to the very normal transitions in the business.  I believe we will see BB get involved more with the nuts and bolts of the team and if he does, it will show up in the win column. 

As for signature wins, FLA was a step no one else had been able to make.  The 2 back to back defensive shutouts was signature from where I stand.  Losing to Toledo and Texas Tech and 4 in at row to A&M are signature too, but not in a good way.  Those 2 mental midget breakdowns to MO and V. Tech last season were signature too. 

While I don't agree with the Pretty Good Job statement, I have high hopes that year 5 will show his system works and it really did take year 5 for it to show up. 

LZH

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on April 27, 2017, 05:48:00 pm
I guess we will have to disagree LZH because I think it is absolutely the responsibility of HC's at Colleges and Universities to help bring young men into responsible manhood and that includes the instilling of discipline in their lives and either helping them continue the work of their parents or begin to shape and form themselves into productive, quality citizens. Teachers and coaches may be the second or third most influential person in a young persons life and in some cases, the most influential, so that is a part of, at the very least, what the job should be about. I don't want a HC whose singular focus is on winning games and the well being of the student-athlete be-darned.

Making it more difficult is the demand by fan bases and some Administrations to win at high levels and that is a difficult balance to be achieved and maintained. Some Administrations put more emphasis on the need to win at high levels than they do on what kind of students and graduates that they produce. Naturally, most people want both and become absolutely frustrated when they find that this is more difficult to achieve than they have convinced themselves to believe.

We all want to win more. Personally, I'm not willing to sacrifice the overall quality of the program or the development of good, quality young men just to win more games. We are recruiting better quality people and we are recruiting better players than we have in the past. Hopefully it will all come together so that everyone can be more satisfied with the results.

Nah, we're probably not too far off in our opinions.  It just seems that some on here (and I may have read a few guys actually say it) that they would be OK with winning 6-7 games a year as long as we are producing "uncommon" men (and I use that phrase sarcastically) that represent our program with "uncommon" integrity.  That sounds ridiculous to me.  And fwiw, hard coaching and discipline builds character, not just playing big brother off the field.

I do agree that recruiting good kids usually produces 'good' results, no one wants bad apples in the locker room.  But this integrity thing sounds like an excuse for not recruiting better to me.  Sometimes you just gotta get the best athletes you can.

I just wonder if it's time we go get us some men.....ya know, the kind that likes a few bar fights here and there.

Al Boarland

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on April 27, 2017, 05:48:00 pm

This. We should be content winning a few games and churning out high caliber student athletes. That's our sweet spot. CBB gives us that. As long as that continues he's smooth sailing. The vocal minority will not take the wind out of the sails.

ricepig

Quote from: LZH on April 27, 2017, 08:34:14 pm
Nah, we're probably not too far off in our opinions.  It just seems that some on here (and I may have read a few guys actually say it) that they would be OK with winning 6-7 games a year as long as we are producing "uncommon" men (and I use that phrase sarcastically) that represent our program with "uncommon" integrity.  That sounds ridiculous to me.  And fwiw, hard coaching and discipline builds character, not just playing big brother off the field.

I do agree that recruiting good kids usually produces 'good' results, no one wants bad apples in the locker room.  But this integrity thing sounds like an excuse for not recruiting better to me.  Sometimes you just gotta get the best athletes you can.

I just wonder if it's time we go get us some men.....ya know, the kind that likes a few bar fights here and there.

When have we ever gotten the best athletes? As far goodie two shoes, not getting thrown out of a bar, doesn't mean we don't have some angry guys.

Al Boarland

We are getting the best athletes we can. I wouldn't expect to get much better in recruiting until we win a lot of game and we won't win a lot of games without much better recruiting. It's prudent to maximize the characteristics of the program that we can achieve than it is the things we can't. Promote graduations rates. Emphasize being uncommon.

Al Boarland

Quote from: ricepig on April 27, 2017, 08:59:32 pm
When have we ever gotten the best athletes? As far goodie two shoes, not getting thrown out of a bar, doesn't mean we don't have some angry guys.

If we are pointing out the positives you have to appreciate the fact the CBB takes players that some lower tier schools wanted and makes sure they go to class and keeps them out of trouble. I'm not certain of his methods, but whatever he's doing to keep them off the radar I tip my cap to him. It's not like they aren't out enjoying college. Not only does he do that with the guys with limited offers, but it carries over to the occasional 4/5* he is able to land.

hogginbama

Quote from: Al Boarland on April 26, 2017, 11:27:08 am
I agree they do fit in well.  One of the concerns I have is the staff turnover.  This goes back to his previous stop.  Continuity is an important thing.  Moving CPR up helps with that, but hopefully he can get his staff settled while he gets x more number of years to "build the program".  I mean, it's pretty much built at this point.  Now we are just replacing CBB players with more CBB players, but I can understand how some say he is still building.

Don't think the changing of assistants is a bad thing. If they get hired away that means we had some good ones that others wanted. Remember when everyone screamed during the Nutt years that our assistants sucked because no one hired them away from us? The ones that were sent packing is a sign that CBB is not married to his assistants and if they don't cut it, he will replace them. Not every hire is a homerun hire, sometimes they just don't work out. At least he is not afraid to get rid of the ones who don't work out, after he has given them time to show their ability.
My ole buddy Biscuit has crossed that rainbow bridge. Life sure is different without him around.

Al Boarland

Quote from: hogginbama on April 27, 2017, 10:05:58 pm
Don't think the changing of assistants is a bad thing. If they get hired away that means we had some good ones that others wanted. Remember when everyone screamed during the Nutt years that our assistants sucked because no one hired them away from us? The ones that were sent packing is a sign that CBB is not married to his assistants and if they don't cut it, he will replace them. Not every hire is a homerun hire, sometimes they just don't work out. At least he is not afraid to get rid of the ones who don't work out, after he has given them time to show their ability.

I can agree with that as long as the replacements end up in more W's. If not, it's just turnover.

moses_007

Quote from: Hawghiggs on April 26, 2017, 03:00:04 pm
No he has not. He has been average at best. He has a 10-22 conference record. 25-26 overall record.  He is well liked and well thought of nationally. But what are his marque wins at Arkansas?  Texas?
0 marque wins.  Doesn't have a chance against A&M or Alabama. 

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: GolfnHog on April 27, 2017, 11:43:48 am
The loss to Mizzou last year was just mind numbing and frustrating along with the VT melt down. Other than those 2 losses I still hold to the opinion the Hogs are headed in the right direction and those losses will always be remembered but gradually be diminished in angst.

Yeah, What he said...

The two game loss of manhood hurt, but you have to think that either these guys are men, or mice. I know I'd be pissed, and I'm pretty certain that the coaches are pissed. I just hope the players are pissed and play with a bad ass attitude all season, and kick it in to hyper pissed for the end of the year...
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

MuskogeeHogFan

I'll tell you right now that I am not among those who would be o.k. with 6-7 wins every year. I've said before that I don't think it is unreasonable to expect that we can have a program with integrity and good young men and be able to win 7-8 as a baseline and every so often find ourselves in the 10-11 win area. Short of a resurrection of the old Southwest conference and all of the former members rejoining, I can't see us ever living in the 9-12 win area every single year as long as we belong to the SEC.

For those who want to snicker (not necessarily you LZH) at the prospect of someone thinking that our best average is probably in the 8 win area every year, well you can just snicker away as long as you realize you are just snickering about the truth. We will probably never have the top 10-15 recruiting classes every year that would help move us into a 9-12 win category every year. Never say never, but I just don't think it is likely.

Of course we would ALL like to win 12 games every year but again, as long as we are in the SEC, I just can't see that happening.

Now what I would like to see and what I think is possible right now is if we just play competitively in every game and by that I mean, don't shoot ourselves in the foot and make silly mental mistakes, don't get out-coached or out-prepared, be aligned properly, fly around like your hair is on fire all of the time (hustle) and stop handing out big plays like candy to our opponents. I might be mistaken, but I think that those are things that we can all agree on and that doesn't have anything to do with having to have top 10-15 recruiting classes every year.
Go Hogs Go!

gchamblee

Why would anyone need to make excuses for being better than anyone else in the past 2 decades? It is more difficult than you think to improve recruiting AND be picky about the type of players you do it with, but CBB has done just that.

jcbville

Quote from: Deep Shoat on April 26, 2017, 11:00:27 am
I absolutely agree about consistency.  That's why I appreciate the contract the University gave CBB.  It ensures time to get it done.

I don't think there is anything more important for Arkansas currently than being consistent and having stability. Time will tell ultimately for CBB but I'm optimistic right now on recruiting, the current staff, and the direction of the program as whole. I've been a CBB supporter his whole tenure but even I admit you can't have too many more Mizz or Belk Bowl type inconsistencies and expect fans to stay positive.

And even though I like CBB I'm on the train of thought that if this year doesn't show real positive progression and promise then it's probably the beginning of the end of his tenure. I think he's aware of that too however which I would expect is a big motivating factor for him personally.

The Kig

Quote from: hogginbama on April 27, 2017, 10:05:58 pm

This 100%... and I also believe that some of the current assistants that people are down on will prove their mettle. 
Poker Porker

RazorWest

I hear a lot about the SEC being too tough to win consistently in, but I'm pretty sure the SEC was Alabama and then everyone else this year and last.  Auburn was not all that good of a team and they went to the Sugar bowl.  The year before Ole Miss finished second and lost to Memphis while Arkansas was third and lost to Toledo and Texas Tech.  Can we please hush up about the strength of the SEC?  ACC was the best conference this past year.  Big Ten has the best collection of coaches.  SEC has talent but the gap between them and ACC and Big 10 is almost completely gone in my opinion. 

LZH

Quote from: gchamblee on April 28, 2017, 07:19:22 am
Why would anyone need to make excuses for being better than anyone else in the past 2 decades? It is more difficult than you think to improve recruiting AND be picky about the type of players you do it with, but CBB has done just that.

I assume you're talking about recruiting rankings.  I really wasn't.  Our OL was a Nutt-type mish-mash last year (moving players all over the board), and our defense was woefully un-SEC talented.  And this from a coach that was supposed to have those things shored up by now.  If it wasn't a talent problem, then we were horribly coached.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: RazorWest on April 28, 2017, 08:26:21 am
I hear a lot about the SEC being too tough to win consistently in, but I'm pretty sure the SEC was Alabama and then everyone else this year and last.  Auburn was not all that good of a team and they went to the Sugar bowl.  The year before Ole Miss finished second and lost to Memphis while Arkansas was third and lost to Toledo and Texas Tech.  Can we please hush up about the strength of the SEC?  ACC was the best conference this past year.  Big Ten has the best collection of coaches.  SEC has talent but the gap between them and ACC and Big 10 is almost completely gone in my opinion. 

You need to go back and review who those ACC teams had to play over the last 5 years to get to the ACC CG. Check out the number of ranked teams that they played. An ACC schedule, except for the very top end doesn't in any way compare with the SEC teams schedules over the same period of time. Same goes for the Big Ten.
Go Hogs Go!

The Kig

Quote from: moses_007 on April 28, 2017, 01:58:54 am
0 marque wins.  Doesn't have a chance against A&M or Alabama.

Please tell me this is sarcasm and I just didn't pick it up. 

We have gifted A&M several wins and will eventually stop doing that.

As for Bama, few teams beat them.  None consistently. I was in Tuscaloosa a couple of years ago when we ran out of gas in the 4th quarter, but absolutely had a chance in that one.  Another CBB 14-13 game comes to mind from 2014 where we very well could have beaten them.

Poker Porker

ricepig

Quote from: LZH on April 28, 2017, 08:26:43 am
I assume you're talking about recruiting rankings.  I really wasn't.  Our OL was a Nutt-type mish-mash last year (moving players all over the board), and our defense was woefully un-SEC talented.  And this from a coach that was supposed to have those things shored up by now.  If it wasn't a talent problem, then we were horribly coached.

Who said it was to be shored up by now?

gchamblee

Quote from: The Kig on April 28, 2017, 08:56:32 am
Please tell me this is sarcasm and I just didn't pick it up. 

We have gifted A&M several wins and will eventually stop doing that.

As for Bama, few teams beat them.  None consistently. I was in Tuscaloosa a couple of years ago when we ran out of gas in the 4th quarter, but absolutely had a chance in that one.  Another CBB 14-13 game comes to mind from 2014 where we very well could have beaten them.

It's moses. Read his post history. You will put him on ignore like everyone else has.

Deep Shoat

Quote from: LZH on April 28, 2017, 08:26:43 am
The D was horribly coached, which is why we have new coaches and an entirely new system.

Try to keep up, LZH.
All Gas, No Brakes!

LZH

Quote from: ricepig on April 28, 2017, 10:16:48 am
Who said it was to be shored up by now?

Who in their right mind would think that by year four a coach with the supposed Big Boy pedigree would think it would be okay to have such a mess?

LZH

Quote from: Deep Shoat on April 28, 2017, 10:39:24 am
The D was horribly coached, which is why we have new coaches and an entirely new system.

Try to keep up, LZH.

Not disagreeing (DC). But do you honestly see SEC Talent on all three levels of that defense?

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: LZH on April 28, 2017, 10:44:48 am
Not disagreeing (DC). But do you honestly see SEC Talent on all three levels of that defense?

I do. Maybe not at every single position, but most. And hey, there is SEC level talent and then there is Alabama level talent. They had something like 3 of their defenders last year, DL, LB and Secondary, taken in the 1st Round of the NFL Draft yesterday.
Go Hogs Go!

LZH

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on April 28, 2017, 10:49:35 am
I do. Maybe not at every single position, but most. And hey, there is SEC level talent and then there is Alabama level talent. They had something like 3 of their defenders last year, DL, LB and Secondary, taken in the 1st Round of the NFL Draft yesterday.

I know being out of position is a killer, and if a coach puts you in a bad defense to begin with then you're screwed....but I can't think of one single defense I watched from last year that was any slower than we were.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: LZH on April 28, 2017, 10:56:48 am
I know being out of position is a killer, and if a coach puts you in a bad defense to begin with then you're screwed....but I can't think of one single defense I watched from last year that was any slower than we were.

Well let's think back to what the defense has been saying this spring. Everything is easier to understand and in the 3-4 they have 1, maybe 2 reads on any given call. Last year it was 3-4 on any given call on any given play. The best thing that you can do is simplify as much as possible so it is easier to comprehend which enables players to have to process less and play faster. You can certainly appear to be slow if you are a step or two behind where you are supposed to be at the snap of the ball.

A good example of this was in the A&M game last year when they threw a long ball on a streak down the sideline and the Safety didn't rotate over in time to offer support over the top. The result was a long TD, but as Ramirez was chasing the receiver (who was alleged to be really fast), he wasn't catching him but he also wasn't being left behind. Being late to provide coverage he was too far behind the receiver to make a play. The conclusion of some fans would be to say, "we look slow".
Go Hogs Go!

Al Boarland

Not even close quality talent needed. Especially at LB which is critical for the 3-4. Do we have an elite nose tackle? Also critical. That's why I think everyone expecting some kind of defensive turnaround is going to be left wanting.

ricepig

Quote from: LZH on April 28, 2017, 10:43:52 am
Who in their right mind would think that by year four a coach with the supposed Big Boy pedigree would think it would be okay to have such a mess?

Lol, outside of about 6-8 schools nationwide, everyone has a mess.

ricepig

Name a time when we had "SEC" level talent on all three levels at the same time. I'll hang up and listen.....

LZH

Quote from: ricepig on April 28, 2017, 11:16:04 am
Lol, outside of about 6 schools nationwide in the SECW, everyone has a mess.

Better.......

Quote from: ricepig on April 28, 2017, 11:18:02 am
Name a time when we had "SEC" level talent on all three levels at the same time. I'll hang up and listen.....

Well, short list, I know, but I'd say 1998, 2003, 2006, and maybe 2010.  I'm not talking about 11 All-Stars, I'm just talking about a real live SEC defense.  Besides, BB is a "defensive" coach - or at least that's what we all thought.

Edit:  And you could probably add 2014 to that list, too.

RazorWest

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on April 28, 2017, 08:46:17 am
You need to go back and review who those ACC teams had to play over the last 5 years to get to the ACC CG. Check out the number of ranked teams that they played. An ACC schedule, except for the very top end doesn't in any way compare with the SEC teams schedules over the same period of time. Same goes for the Big Ten.

Yes, I can't disagree over a five year span.  I just mean the last couple.  I realize over the last decade it's been the SEC and then everyone else.  I think that has leveled out now in my opinion. 

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: The ColonelHog on April 28, 2017, 10:53:54 am
While I understand your point, I don't think it applies to the multi-billion dollar business called college football.  You think all the money being spent to upgrade the facilities is based on developing better citizens of better FB players?  In sports, it's all about W-L at this level.  With that said, I can't say he has done a good job with his hires until those hires translate into wins.  I don't expect 12-0 seasons but I do expect a sustained top 25 program.  That doesn't mean winning the West or SEC, 9-3 playing in the SEC will equal a sustained top 25 presence.  Sprinkle in 10-2 here and there and I'm all in.  Right now, 7-5 just isn't cutting it and if it happens again this season, the Ole seat is going to be on fire..

Well you might as well prepare and save your pre-written complaint about the coach and the team, because we aren't going to see a 9-3 season every year unless we start getting top 15 classes year after year after year and I just don't see that happening. Hope it does, but I kinda doubt it.
Go Hogs Go!

RazorWest

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on April 28, 2017, 03:23:10 pm
Well you might as well prepare and save your pre-written complaint about the coach and the team, because we aren't going to see a 9-3 season every year unless we start getting top 15 classes year after year after year and I just don't see that happening. Hope it does, but I kinda doubt it.

I don't think he has to be 9-3 every year, just every few.  He has to beat the teams he has more talent than though.  A la Missouri last year and Texas tech and Toledo the year before.  If he wins the games he's supposed to then he can work on stealing some others.  In the west Alabama, Auburn, and Texas AM are the only teams with overall better talent (ole miss is back down to earth and Mississippi state isn't more talented).  So steal one or two and hope the East stays pathetic.  Then you've got a pretty good season going. 

ricepig

Quote from: Surfing8 on April 28, 2017, 03:29:41 pm
lol

Late April and the spin rationalizing Bielema's mediocrity to date (in record as well as assistant churn) is already in pre-season form.   

You might as well log off for 18 months then.....