Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Coach Bielema has done a pretty good job

Started by Deep Shoat, April 26, 2017, 10:33:26 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Deep Shoat

I think Coach B has done a pretty good job replacing assistants and seamlessly melding them into the staff this offseason.  I really think the new guys are fitting in well, and so far they seem to be getting positive reviews from recruits.  In my view, this has been one of Coach B's strengths in his time at Arkansas.

I expect it to pay off over the next two seasons.
All Gas, No Brakes!

Deep Shoat

Quote from: Rock City Razorback on April 26, 2017, 10:50:54 am
I agree for the most part, but there have been some letdowns. I do think he's found something he likes by going to the NFL more. It's going to take consistency for Arkansas to be a top contender on a regular basis, so it's nice to retain coaches when you can.
I absolutely agree about consistency.  That's why I appreciate the contract the University gave CBB.  It ensures time to get it done.
All Gas, No Brakes!

ricepig

Quote from: Deep Shoat on April 26, 2017, 11:00:27 am
I absolutely agree about consistency.  That's why I appreciate the contract the University gave CBB.  It ensures time to get it done.

Yep, he was going to get 6 years minimum from the get go.

bphi11ips

Quote from: ricepig on April 26, 2017, 11:08:12 am
Yep, he was going to get 6 years minimum from the get go.

He deserved it.  If Arkansas is going to get back to fundamentally sound football in all three areas of the game, it is going to have to do it with 4th and 5th year players.  That takes time.  Bielema should be judged on this year and next year, not the last four. 
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

Al Boarland

Quote from: Deep Shoat on April 26, 2017, 10:33:26 am
I think Coach B has done a pretty good job replacing assistants and seamlessly melding them into the staff this offseason.  I really think the new guys are fitting in well, and so far they seem to be getting positive reviews from recruits.  In my view, this has been one of Coach B's strengths in his time at Arkansas.

I expect it to pay off over the next two seasons.

I agree they do fit in well.  One of the concerns I have is the staff turnover.  This goes back to his previous stop.  Continuity is an important thing.  Moving CPR up helps with that, but hopefully he can get his staff settled while he gets x more number of years to "build the program".  I mean, it's pretty much built at this point.  Now we are just replacing CBB players with more CBB players, but I can understand how some say he is still building.

The NewEra

I was going to write my annual  ;) separate positive thread but saw yours and decided to piggyback on it.  I noticed when listening to last nights player interviews how much this years players really care for their coaches and their confidence in the coaches feeling the same way about them.  Just picking up on bits and pieces here and there it seems we might finally have great coordinators on both sides of the ball, as well as the head coach that these players are going to lay it all on the line for.  These kids seem to really trust and respect our coaching staff.  Since attitude is so critical at this level I'm predicting a pretty darn good year and season.  This team might really surprise some folks to the up side.

I remember several times Bielema referring to Rob Smith as an "angry short guy".  I think there was more truth to that than we would normally give it.  Not that Rob was a mean or bad person, but I don't think the players related to him.  I personally never thought he had much of a personality.  Not to mention a terrible scheme that many said was asking players to do the impossible.

ricepig

Quote from: The NewEra on April 26, 2017, 11:36:24 am
I was going to write my annual  ;) separate positive thread but saw yours and decided to piggyback on it.  I noticed when listening to last nights player interviews how much this years players really care for their coaches and their confidence in the coaches feeling the same way about them.  Just picking up on bits and pieces here and there it seems we might finally have great coordinators on both sides of the ball, as well as the head coach that these players are going to lay it all on the line for.  These kids seem to really trust and respect our coaching staff.  Since attitude is so critical at this level I'm predicting a pretty darn good year and season.  This team might really surprise some folks to the up side.

I remember several times Bielema referring to Rob Smith as an "angry short guy".  I think there was more truth to that than we would normally give it.  Not that Rob was a mean or bad person, but I don't think the players related to him.  I personally never thought he had much of a personality.  Not to mention a terrible scheme that many said was asking players to do the impossible.

I have no idea if the NFL guy Clay Henry refers to in his piece about our defense knows anything or not, but it does seem we didn't/don't have the personnel to run what we did last year, or the scheme was poorly implemented. I'll wait and make any judgment on this season during it, but surely our defense can't be any worse.

HF#1

What is your measuring stick that he's done a good job?
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

Dwight_K_Shrute

While I'm not negative about the assistants, who is to say he has done a good job or bad job seamlessly melding them.  Most assistants are positive guys and professional enough to know what to do and say to the media.  That's all we've basically got is what the media tells us.  We do not know how they will perform as P5 assistants because both have very little experience at that level.  If the D improves noticeably over last year then we can probably say yes they were good hires, or if they are the lead recruiters on some good guys.  Rob Smith looked like a fantastic hire after the 2014 season after actually proving it on the field and now he gone. 

While I'm hopeful that these new coaches will get it done, whether or not BB did a good job with these hires remains to be seen.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

The Kig

Quote from: bphi11ips on April 26, 2017, 11:21:58 am
He deserved it.  If Arkansas is going to get back to fundamentally sound football in all three areas of the game, it is going to have to do it with 4th and 5th year players.  That takes time.  Bielema should be judged on this year and next year, not the last four.

Gonna be some hits/misses.  Success at one stop doesn't always translate for a variety of reasons.  Just have to have a high hit rate, which I would agree he has overall. 

To your point, his future here is going to be determined by what transpires this year and next.  Installing an entirely new defensive scheme at this stage is a risky gamble.  Based on the porous performance the last 2 years and personnel, it may be necessary and pay dividends... but risky nonetheless. 

CBB has shown some gamble in him in coaching hires, often selecting someone that has us googling the interwebs for a bio.  The Enos hire alone was a homerun that offsets more than 1 "meh" hire.  When he did go the "safe" route and hired the fat kid currently impersonating an OC at GA, he hasn't been afraid to course correct quickly.  My guess is that we may see a similar outcome on Defense.  Bringing in Rhoads as a position coach was a calculated risk, but gave him a year (similar to early enrollees) to learn "Hoganese" before making his mark.  Pulling a percentage of his staff from the NFL is also smart and I hope we always keep a mix of college and pros. 

He's gotta show that his formula works in the next two years, but honestly believe if it fails that it won't be because he was afraid to put chips in the pot and gamble. 
Poker Porker

RazorWest

When CBB first got here he had some home run hires, CCP, CRS, and CSP.  Since then, it's been much less high profile and seeming much more fourth or fifth choice down the line.(Speculation of course).  All in all, I could care less who the coordinators are as long as they can help win football games.

Dwight_K_Shrute

Not getting Bob Diaco is some form is my biggest regret for the staff.

Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

King Kong

I think CBB is an excellent coach. However, the end of last year was a failure and I'm still bitter

Mike_e

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on April 26, 2017, 02:02:02 pm
Not getting Bob Diaco is some form is my biggest regret for the staff.

Whitney?  Really?

your man card    turn it in you might need   hmmm?

;)
The best "one thing" for a happy life?
Just be the best person that you can manage.  Right Now!

Hawghiggs

No he has not. He has been average at best. He has a 10-22 conference record. 25-26 overall record.  He is well liked and well thought of nationally. But what are his marque wins at Arkansas?  Texas?

Peter Porker

Quote from: HF#1 on April 26, 2017, 12:34:16 pm

Someone didn't read the OP and just read the headline.
Quote from: Peter Porker on January 08, 2014, 04:03:21 pm
Notice he says your boy instead of "our coach". Very telling.

I'm not worried. If he recruits like he did here Louisville will fire him in about 5 years.

Peter Porker

Quote from: Hawghiggs on April 26, 2017, 03:00:04 pm
No he has not. He has been average at best. He has a 10-22 conference record. 25-26 overall record.  He is well liked and well thought of nationally. But what are his marque wins at Arkansas?  Texas?

See previous post.
Quote from: Peter Porker on January 08, 2014, 04:03:21 pm
Notice he says your boy instead of "our coach". Very telling.

I'm not worried. If he recruits like he did here Louisville will fire him in about 5 years.

VirginiaHog

No he has not. He has been averages at best. He has a 10-22 conference record. 25-26 overall record.  He is well liked and well thought of nationally. But what are his marque wins at Arkansas?  Texas?
What does this have to do with his hires, which was the op statement.

HogMantheIntruder

Back to back shut outs of ranked OM and LSU in 2014.
Back to back bowl wins in consecutive seasons for the first time in program history in 2014 and 2015.
38-10 thrashing of Florida, the only team we had not beaten since joining the SEC and the eventual SECE Champion in 2016.
"When life hands you lemons, just shut up and eat the damn lemons."
   -Harry Solomon

gchamblee

Quote from: Poppa Tart on April 26, 2017, 03:31:52 pm
Back to back bowl wins in consecutive seasons for the first time in program history in 2014 and 2015.
38-10 thrashing of Florida, the only team we had not beaten since joining the SEC and the eventual SECE Champion in 2016.

beat me to it

MuskogeeHogFan

April 26, 2017, 04:52:00 pm #20 Last Edit: April 26, 2017, 05:22:15 pm by MuskogeeHogFan

Now all of you know that I believe in most of what Bielema is doing here and how he goes about building the overall quality of the program in more ways than just wins, but I will be the first to say that for more than one reason in terms of just wins, we haven't achieved at the level that we might have expected that we would and some of that has to be placed in Bielema's lap. And, some of it has been bad luck along with the mess he inherited. We have blown games that we should have won and we have won a few that we probably deserved to lose based on how we have played at times.

Running a Pro Style offense I think that you have to have more of a experienced level of talent in order to succeed. It tends to be more of a "here we come and we dare you to stop us" kind of offense and that is why it requires better, seasoned and experienced, developed talent. The usual spread, HUNH, throw it all over the field or run it all over the field type of offense with exceptional skill players that is built more on deception, misdirection and score more points than your opponent at a frantic pace, doesn't require as much of an experienced team or as developed of an offensive line as the Pro Style.

So while some want to fault Bielema, this is just his type of Offense and it requires time to develop the level of experience needed to be successful and it takes a prolonged time to develop. They ("they", meaning many fans) would more naturally prefer to short cut their way to more wins by focusing on the more wide open style of offense and the defense just being a added necessity. Add in the bad breaks that all teams tend to experience from time to time and not having hired a better defensive coordinator earlier in the process (this has really been what has held us back from more success) and you can see why we are where we are. How many more games, despite our offensive inconsistency at times, would we have won if we just had an average or above average defense? Not even a stellar defense, just average or above average? This too has to fall at the feet of Bielema.

Overall, he is a good coach, seems to be a good man who genuinely cares about his players as people (not just X's and O's) and he brings a lot of value to our program and the players that doesn't involve on-field wins. Many don't see the value in this. I don't think that there is any doubt that he is painfully aware of his shortcomings and the mistakes that have been made that involve the winning-losing side of college football. He is a prideful man that wants to succeed in that regard (as well as the other facets of the program) just as we want him to succeed.

All that said he is going to need to produce a 10-11 win season every 4-5 years or the majority of regular fans may care a lot less about the rest of his goals with regard to the players and the program. JMO
Go Hogs Go!

HogBreath

Texas??  Are you kidding?    LSU twice, Ole Miss twice, TCU  & Florida were all waaay ahead of Texass as far as quality of win goes.
I said...LSU has often been an overrated team.

That ignoramus Draconian Sanctions said..if we're overrated, why are we ranked higher than you are?

RebelW

I'll tell you something that I'm pretty happy with is that CBB has added more depth than we've had in a LONNNGGGG time. Ecspecially the LB position

daBoar

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on April 26, 2017, 04:52:00 pm

All that said he is going to need to produce a 10-11 win season every 4-5 years or the majority of regular fans may care a lot less about the rest of his goals with regard to the players and the program.
When does this clock start?

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: daBoar on April 26, 2017, 07:31:02 pm
When does this clock start?

As you well know, it has already started, not counting 2013.
Go Hogs Go!

poloprince

El o el
$PoLoPrInCe$

factchecker

It only took one page...... the 15th reply for this to happen.

Amazing.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

Hawghiggs

Lost to Toledo. Lost to Missouri twice. Lost to Auburn  56-3. 0-4 against Texas A&M.

Hawghiggs

Quote from: factchecker on April 26, 2017, 09:09:53 pm

Amazing.

What? Show the record? We are what it says we are. What else would you want? " Factchecker"

factchecker

Quote from: Hawghiggs on April 26, 2017, 09:15:02 pm
What? Show the record? We are what it says we are. What else would you want? " Factchecker"

THIS THREAD HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH RECORDS-----

Reread the original post.

If you don't think EVERYONE knows our record then your are the idiot that you seem to be..... "Hawghiggs".

It's been said time and time again by me and everybody else that Bielema has to win more. Simple.

However, this thread wasn't about that.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

Hawghiggs

Quote from: factchecker on April 26, 2017, 09:29:35 pm
THIS THREAD HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH RECORDS-----

Reread the original post.

If you don't think EVERYONE knows our record then your are the idiot that you seem to be..... "Hawghiggs".

It's been said time and time again by me and everybody else that Bielema has to win more. Simple.

However, this thread wasn't about that.

Well that's fair. But I'd already been called out on that.

factchecker

We knew what would happen.

Someone could start a thread saying that Coach Bielema donated a million dollars to a local charity and the "realists" would show up saying:

"Dat damn Berlema needs to get some fire in his belly and quit worrying about charities.  Nuth'n but mediocrititytity loosers up in here. I'm tarred of loosin.  Spit."

Same thing happens with Jeff Long and our athletic department in general.

Read the replies where our athletic department announces an academic or off field achievement.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

factchecker

I think Bielema has done a good (not great) job of finding quality assistants. Lunney and Smith are the core of our assistants and have proven to be great hires. I think Enos is top notch.  Mitchell seems to be the best recruiting runningback coach we've had since Bielema's been here.  Kurt Anderson has to show improvement on the line or it will be a failed hire.

I think Rhoads is a great hire (move to DC) but we won't know until the season starts.  The rest of our defense is an unknown. Hargreaves has been here but our linebacker group hasn't performed that well.  I'm interested to see how the dynamic of two linebacker coaches play out on game day.  I'm also interested in seeing who is in the booth and who is on the field.

Overall, I like most of our assistant hires but I still want a special team coordinator.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

Hollywood_HOGan45

good job keeping mike smith happy.

He hired a dud to coach ol though.

factchecker

Quote from: ricepig on April 26, 2017, 09:44:07 pm
https://twitter.com/MikeAndersonUA/status/857388552224743424

Oh lord.  The majority of Hogville probably didn't know that Razorback Academics had it's own twitter page.  I hope you didn't unleash hell on them.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

Deep Shoat

Quote from: factchecker on April 26, 2017, 09:09:53 pm

Amazing.
Yep, you didn't miss by much.
All Gas, No Brakes!

HogHomer

Quote from: RazorWest on April 26, 2017, 01:48:47 pm
When CBB first got here he had some home run hires, CCP, CRS, and CSP.  Since then, it's been much less high profile and seeming much more fourth or fifth choice down the line.(Speculation of course).  All in all, I could care less who the coordinators are as long as they can help win football games.
I agree some of his choices seem like 4th or 5th options but I'd also add to your list of Michael Smith, Lunney ( although where else could we see him?) Enos and Rhodes as home runs hires unless you were meaning name value which Enos and Rhodes would qualify

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: HF#1 on April 26, 2017, 12:34:16 pm

You should have read his post, and not stopped at the thread topic...
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: King Kong on April 26, 2017, 02:35:20 pm
I think CBB is an excellent coach. However, the end of last year was a failure and I'm still bitter

Just chill-ax and take some advice from good o'l Liz Honey...
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

Pork Twain

Quote from: bphi11ips on April 26, 2017, 11:21:58 am
This has been my stance all along.  All you had to do was look at how teams at Wisconsin were built to know it was going to be built the same way here and that it was going to take 4-5 years to get that depth in place.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

rljjr

The guy is building depth and quality football players. I don't think anyone really fully appreciated the utter disaster the program was after the JLS season. Combine a lack of depth, morale issues and personnel not truly fitted to the scheme and you can quickly see it was going to take time.

I understand we live in a what have you done for me lately world. I understand we have lost games we shouldn't have lost. We've also won games we shouldn't have won with the talent we had on the field.

This program is on the rise despite last year's setback. The 2018 class is on pace to be one of our better ones, and 2019 could be phenomenal by any standard -- and not by OM tactics.

We're Hog fans, and as such we should know better than anyone how hard it is to find a quality coach. We need to ride out the CBB era as long as we can because we are on the verge of that breakthrough we all long for.

The NewEra

LSU, Ole Miss, Florida, Texas, TCU & 2-straight bowl wins.  How's that for a start?

HF#1

Quote from: OneTuskOverTheLine™ on April 27, 2017, 04:12:17 am
You should have read his post, and not stopped at the thread topic...

He's done a good job at working with his assistants that he hired. Woohoo.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

GuvHog

Quote from: Pork Twain on April 27, 2017, 06:46:54 am
This has been my stance all along.  All you had to do was look at how teams at Wisconsin were built to know it was going to be built the same way here and that it was going to take 4-5 years to get that depth in place.

The thing is during those 4 or 5 years the team needs to show a bit of progressing improvement with each passing year. In CBB's second year there was noticeable improvement from the prior year and it looked as though things were headed in the right direction but the last 2 years, the program has stagnated and actually has regressed in some areas (Defense tanked). The recent changes in defensive coaches and the defensive scheme indicate that CBB realizes the urgency of the situation and as a result, I believe the team will have a much better record this coming season.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

Hog Fan...DOH!

Let's just copy and paste this thread for the next 4 months.

King Kong

CBB has marquee wins. It's the loses that are embarrassing. Mizz twice, Miss State 3 times, we are the only SEC West team that hasn't beat A&M.

ricepig

Quote from: King Kong on April 27, 2017, 11:26:10 am
CBB has marquee wins. It's the loses that are embarrassing. Mizz twice, Miss State 3 times, we are the only SEC West team that hasn't beat A&M.

Losing to Miss St is embarrassing? Didn't Mizzou win the East in 2014? I wouldn't call those losses embarrassing, lol.

GolfnHog

Quote from: ricepig on April 27, 2017, 11:33:04 am
Losing to Miss St is embarrassing? Didn't Mizzou win the East in 2014? I wouldn't call those losses embarrassing, lol.

The loss to Mizzou last year was just mind numbing and frustrating along with the VT melt down. Other than those 2 losses I still hold to the opinion the Hogs are headed in the right direction and those losses will always be remembered but gradually be diminished in angst.
Have you ever listened to someone  or read what they put into thoughts and wondered...."who ties your shoelaces for you?"