Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Well. Nick Saban will be around for awhile.

Started by Next1_04, May 02, 2017, 09:17:25 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Next1_04

https://www.seccountry.com/alabama/alabama-coach-nick-saban-agrees-to-contract-extension

Tuesday morning, the compensation committee for the university's board of trustee unanimously approved adding three years to his deal.

Saban's base salary of $245,000 and talent fee of $6.48 million will remain the same, paying him $6.725 million annually.  However, he'll also get a bonus at the end of each season paying him $400,000 the next two years, $800,000 the subsequent two contract years, $3.6 million in 2012, and $400,000 each remaining year beyond that.

He also receives a $4 million signing bonus.

"Terry and I are pleased and happy to agree to the contract extension," Saban said in a release. "The University of Alabama has offered us, ensuring our time here in Tuscaloosa will continue for many more years.

"This has become our home and we are looking forward to finishing our career at Alabama. I want to thank President Bell, Greg Byrne, our athletic administration, football staff and the entire University community for all of their support, which has been instrumental in the success of our organization. We are extremely proud of the young men who have represented the Crimson Tide on the football field, and more importantly, what they have been able to accomplish in their lives off the field because of their involvement in our program."

Razorbackers

He is sustained by the hate of the conference. He'll live to be 144 years old.

The OTR

I expect Gus and Bret and perhaps others to use this to help in their own negotiations. Looks for an extension and raise for both in by the end of the month.

HognitiveDissonance

I always said Arkansas lucked into Petrino. The timing was perfect.
Same thing with Alabama. yes, they're a traditional program. But they lucked into Saban. The timing was perfect.
Both guys wanted out of the NFL, and both schools had openings at the time.
I'm sure the intelligent Bama fans realize how lucky they are. And he hasn't run his cycle into the ditch.
Arkansas was beating Bama 50% of the time pre-Saban.

Razorbackers

Quote from: HognitiveDissonance on May 02, 2017, 09:46:24 am
Same thing with Alabama. yes, they're a traditional program. But they lucked into Saban. The timing was perfect.
I'm sure the intelligent Bama fans realize how lucky they are. And he hasn't run his cycle into the ditch.

Older bama fans realize how lucky they are for sure.

Ones who went through college during the Saban years, however, are going to be in for a rude awakening with the greatest college football coach of all time isn't their coach anymore. As will those players for the tide. There's a serious entitlement issue when it comes to championships, especially from the fans.

Hog Fan...DOH!

Quote from: Razorbackers on May 02, 2017, 10:17:07 am

Ones who went through college during the Saban years, however, are going to be in for a rude awakening with the greatest college football coach of all time isn't their coach anymore. As will those players for the tide. There's a serious entitlement issue when it comes to championships, especially from the fans.

The players were griping that they weren't being drafted high enough IN THE FIRST ROUND.

They good, though.

Razorbackers

Quote from: Hog Fan...DOH! on May 02, 2017, 10:20:35 am

The players were griping that they weren't being drafted high enough IN THE FIRST ROUND.

They good, though.

I mean yeah haha. They're very good. Their dang kickoff team is comprised of all 4 and 5 star running backs hahaha

GoHogzzGo

Noooooo! Please friggin retire already or leave the conference. Dude could still retire next year but this doesn't help that dream. He is hurting the conference quite frankly.
Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal.

jmark

bama will need to keep the freeze on facility
40/29 News Confirms Houston Nutt Will Not Return In 2008
POSTED: 3:49 pm CST November 16, 2007

rhames

No buyout still i believe, so he can leave anytime.
"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

"Can we get some waffles after we get some ass?" - Aunt Tiffany Freeman

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.
The only down time my legs see is when seated in 1st Class.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: Next1_04 on May 02, 2017, 09:17:25 am
https://www.seccountry.com/alabama/alabama-coach-nick-saban-agrees-to-contract-extension

Tuesday morning, the compensation committee for the university's board of trustee unanimously approved adding three years to his deal.

Saban's base salary of $245,000 and talent fee of $6.48 million will remain the same, paying him $6.725 million annually.  However, he'll also get a bonus at the end of each season paying him $400,000 the next two years, $800,000 the subsequent two contract years, $3.6 million in 2012, and $400,000 each remaining year beyond that.

"Terry and I are pleased and happy to agree to the contract extension," Saban said in a release. "The University of Alabama has offered us, ensuring our time here in Tuscaloosa will continue for many more years.

"This has become our home and we are looking forward to finishing our career at Alabama. I want to thank President Bell, Greg Byrne, our athletic administration, football staff and the entire University community for all of their support, which has been instrumental in the success of our organization. We are extremely proud of the young men who have represented the Crimson Tide on the football field, and more importantly, what they have been able to accomplish in their lives off the field because of their involvement in our program."
I know we can all hope, however, after losing last year's NCG and it obviously "eating at him" did anyone honestly expect anything else ??? He will retire when he wants; afraid that's likely not going to be for awhile.  >:( :'(

HamIAm

Through 2024.  I'm sure he can walk away whenever he gets ready. This just makes recruiting easier when he can show the contract to recruits and sell them the idea that he will be there through their whole career.

jkstock04

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on May 02, 2017, 11:23:54 am
I know we can all hope, however, after losing last year's NCG and it obviously "eating at him" did anyone honestly expect anything else ??? He will retire when he wants; afraid that's likely not going to be for awhile.  >:( :'(
I've read many on here say the past year or so he was at the end of his tenure and would be gone soon thus sending Bama to an average team. Weird, looks like that was wrong.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

rhames

Quote from: HamIAm on May 02, 2017, 11:26:16 am
Through 2024.  I'm sure he can walk away whenever he gets ready. This just makes recruiting easier when he can show the contract to recruits and sell them the idea that he will be there through their whole career.

Get out of here with that logical response.  You're messing up a perfectly good melt.
"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

"Can we get some waffles after we get some ass?" - Aunt Tiffany Freeman

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.
The only down time my legs see is when seated in 1st Class.

elksnort

I predict that the Razorbacks will not beat Alabama as long as Saban is their coach.

This might sound negative, but it what I think.

HF#1

I still think he retires after 2 more natty's. So 3 years sounds about right.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

Sed76

He will hang around as long as possible like Paterno. Probably figures since he puts everything into coaching there won't be much left to life once he gives it up.

hog of steele

Quote from: Razorbackers on May 02, 2017, 09:37:36 am

What is our buyout at that point? Surely it will have dropped by then?
8)

rljjr

Time to roll up our sleeves and beat the best. That's the bottom line.

hawganatic

Quote from: Sed76 on May 02, 2017, 01:45:02 pm
puts everything into coaching there won't be much left to life once he gives it up.

Not sure about this.  He spends a lot of time on his boat.  Don't think he is like Paterno where his entire purpose is wrapped up in football.

TUSKtimes

As was mentioned coach Saban can leave when he wants with 0 buyouts. But he will be making 11.125 million this season if he decides to stay.

Saban's yearly compensation through 2024:

2017 -- $11.125 million

2018 -- $7.125 million

2019 -- $7.525 million

2020 -- $7.525 million

2021 -- $10.325 million

2022 -- $7.125 million

2023 -- $7.125 million

2024 -- $7.125 million

Eight-year total: $65 million

Below is a full list of new contracts:

Greg Byrne -- $900,000 for five years

Nick Saban -- $6.725 million through Jan. 31, 2025 ($6.9 million)

Tosh Lupoi -- $950,000 through Feb. 29, 2020 ($550,000)

Mike Locksley -- $600,000 through Feb. 28, 2019

Brian Daboll -- $1.2 million through Feb. 29, 2020

Joe Pannunzio -- $375,000 through Feb. 28, 2019

Jeremy Pruitt -- $1.3 million for 2017, $1.4 million for 2018, $1.5 million for 2019 ($1 million)

Brent Key -- $400,000 through Feb. 28, 2019 ($350,000)

Burton Burns -- $490,000 through Feb. 28, 2019 ($475,000)

Derrick Ansley -- $405,000 through Feb. 28, 2019 ($395,000)

Karl Dunbar -- $275,000 in 2017, $575,000 in 2018 ($275,000)

Scott Cochran -- $535,000 through Feb. 29, 2020 ($525,000)

PorkSoda

Quote from: Razorbackers on May 02, 2017, 09:37:36 am
^^^
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

phadedhawg

groan...

Wonder how many coaches we will go thru before Saban leaves Bama....

theFlyingHog

That part about his pay for 2012 almost had me making accusations of posting old info

Saban is not the smartest coach who ever walked.  He puts in the premium time, effort, thought process and it doesn't hurt that he works for a Football Factory who supports his efforts.

Saban is an individual who appreciates the opportunity that Alabama affords him.  Many coaches may use his compensation as a basis of dealing with their own compensation.  What most of them need to do is use his personal investment in time, effort and thoughtful process to learn enough about their profession to then go forward and have an institution wanting to compensate them like Alabama compensates Saban. 

I personally believe that Head Football Coaches are generally overpaid across the board.  However, if any HC in football earns his pay, its Saban.

Michael_E_Davis

I am glad Nick Saban will be around for a while longer. It will give Bielema a chance to beat him,  which I believe he will pretty soon.
"I struggled through many problems in my life, most of which never happened." -Unknown

Al Boarland

Quote from: Michael_E_Davis on May 02, 2017, 03:56:23 pm
I am glad Nick Saban will be around for a while longer. It will give Bielema a chance to beat him,  which I believe he will pretty soon.

Based on?

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: rhames on May 02, 2017, 11:12:14 am
No buyout still i believe, so he can leave anytime.

I heard he was planning to sign the contract then suddenly leave to become the Miami Dolphins coach after denying he'd go there...............................................
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Michael_E_Davis

Quote from: Al Boarland on May 02, 2017, 04:06:00 pm
Based on?

Nothing more than just what I think will happen.  I believe Bielema is a great coach, and has hired some great assistants, and he will eventually,  probably within the next two years,  get a team together good enough to beat Saban.  It's just my opinion.
"I struggled through many problems in my life, most of which never happened." -Unknown

Al Boarland

Quote from: Michael_E_Davis on May 02, 2017, 04:12:04 pm
Nothing more than just what I think will happen.  I believe Bielema is a great coach, and has hired some great assistants, and he will eventually,  probably within the next two years,  get a team together good enough to beat Saban.  It's just my opinion.

Based on hope.  Gotcha.

theFlyingHog

Quote from: Al Boarland on May 02, 2017, 04:13:05 pm
Based on hope.  Gotcha.
The best part of you ran down the crack of your momma's poopchute and ended up as a brown stain on the mattress.  :D

RollHogTide

Quote from: Sed76 on May 02, 2017, 01:45:02 pm
He will hang around as long as possible like Paterno. Probably figures since he puts everything into coaching there won't be much left to life once he gives it up.

Sadly for him, I completely agree.

Hoggish1

Yawn.

Do birds fly? I could care less what Nick makes...

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: HognitiveDissonance on May 02, 2017, 09:46:24 am
being as Rich Rod turned them down (twice or more), yeah, they got SUPER lucky.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: phadedhawg on May 02, 2017, 02:28:37 pm
groan...

Wonder how many coaches we will go thru before Saban leaves Bama....
he old as hell. he's social security age. he could fall off well before that contract ends.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

Polecat

that sucks. To paraphrase Pedro Martinez, Saban is our Daddy
Arkansas born and raised. 1999 UA alum

texas tush hog

Quote from: Next1_04 on May 02, 2017, 09:17:25 am

Saban will be at Alabama, Tuscaloosa as long as he wants to. Just like Meyer at the Ohio State University, Columbus. Now the coaches at the University of Georgia, Athens the University of South Carolina, Columbia, the University of Florida, Gainesville, the University of Texas, Austin, the University if Oklahoma, Norman, the University of Nebraska, Lincoln, University of Kentucky, Lexington not so much.. Annoying isn't it Arkansas Democrat, Little Rock sportswriters.

hawgmasta

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on May 03, 2017, 09:24:54 am
he old as hell. he's social security age. he could fall off well before that contract ends.

I bet there's a med school in Alabama dedicated to training the best and brightest pupils on how to keep that half man half Satan thing alive. He's probably pounding thrown away placentas out of St. Vincent's Birmingham like wings on 25 cent night.

Smalltownhog95

No... Please just no. Retire and take Bill Belicheat with you please.
Wait a minute this isn't chinese checkers.. This isn't even regular checkers!

poloprince

$PoLoPrInCe$

bennyl08

Quote from: Hoggish1 on May 03, 2017, 06:01:54 am
Yawn.

Do birds fly? I could care less what Nick makes...

Well, there are several species of birds that are incapable of flight. From the large flightless birds such as the ostrich, emu, and cassowary to the amiable penguins of which there are way too many species to list.

At the very limit of being able to fly was the Haast Eagle in New Zealand. This eagle had a wing span over over 8 and half feet, but weighed over 30 pounds, hunting the now extinct Moa (a large flightless bird also extinct from new zealand).
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

hawgmasta

Quote from: bennyl08 on May 03, 2017, 07:44:37 pm
Well, there are several species of birds that are incapable of flight. From the large flightless birds such as the ostrich, emu, and cassowary to the amiable penguins of which there are way too many species to list.

At the very limit of being able to fly was the Haast Eagle in New Zealand. This eagle had a wing span over over 8 and half feet, but weighed over 30 pounds, hunting the now extinct Moa (a large flightless bird also extinct from new zealand).

Benny, you silly mayne.

Looked up those haast eagles by the way that's crazy. You could falconry dogs with that thing.

uams1989

As a resident Bammer, I agree Bama is very lucky to have Saban. I also agree that it was a perfect storm scenario. 

But, I will say that Saban is lucky to have Bama.  Bama is a school where the right coach can win a lot of games. Saban was more than the right coach. Just like Coach Bryant, it was a perfect storm where a program that had a winning tradition had been through some very lean years. Whenever Saban leaves, there will likely be lean years until the next perfect storm occurs.

Every coach in Bama history except Ears Whitworth in the mid-1950's has won at least 10 games in a season. History will repeat itself.
"They got a name for the winners in the world...
They call Alabama the Crimson Tide..."

HognitiveDissonance

Quote from: texas tush hog on May 03, 2017, 12:48:52 pm
Saban will be at Alabama, Tuscaloosa as long as he wants to. Just like Meyer at the Ohio State University, Columbus. Now the coaches at the University of Georgia, Athens the University of South Carolina, Columbia, the University of Florida, Gainesville, the University of Texas, Austin, the University if Oklahoma, Norman, the University of Nebraska, Lincoln, University of Kentucky, Lexington not so much.. Annoying isn't it Arkansas Democrat, Little Rock sportswriters.
There was a thread a while back on why the Demo-zette was using the 'University of Arkansas, Fayetteville' description every single time they now reference the UA. You might search for it and find it.

Obviously there was some kind of policy change to 'require' that verbiage, but I don't know what it's about. And yes, it is annoying.

NoNC4Tubs

Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on May 02, 2017, 09:39:04 am
I expect Gus and Bret and perhaps others to use this to help in their own negotiations. Looks for an extension and raise for both in by the end of the month.

Gus should be given a lifetime contract. Awbern should be him his very own Waffle House... 8)

NoNC4Tubs

Quote from: Razorbackers on May 02, 2017, 10:17:07 am

Dabo will replace Saban when that time comes...you can take that to the bank!  8)

NoNC4Tubs

Quote from: Michael_E_Davis on May 02, 2017, 04:12:04 pm

Fitting Avatar... 8)

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/Michael_Carvell/status/864575678942990340

Quote"I'm glad it is something we don't have to worry about anytime soon," Byrne said on The Opening Kickoff on WNSP in Mobile, Ala. "Someday down the road, obviously, all of us our time comes to an end. I hope that is many years from now.

"Obviously with the new agreement with Coach Saban, that sends a strong message he's going to be finishing his career here at Alabama," Byrne said.

"The energy and enthusiasm he has brought to our university over the last 10 years — and will continue for many years to come — we're very glad and fortunate he is our coach," Byrne said. "I'm looking forward to working with him and our football program however we can."
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net