Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Bobby Portis

Started by Sigepgator702, April 16, 2017, 08:38:08 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Sigepgator702

Bobby Portis looked great tonight with 19 points and 9 rebounds.  The commentators were impressed by the way he ran the floor and provided a spark for the Bulls.  Congrats to one of my favorite Hogs of all time! 

snoot hoggy hog

He's trending on twitter right now. Even Bill Simmons is feeling buyers remorse. Way to go OG Bobby!!!

https://twitter.com/BillSimmons/status/853775865217470464

Scott7703

Had a big game. As a bulls fan I'm happy to see him progressing and playing well. Will be a HUGE lift moving forward if he can consistently play well.

SONofHAM

Great to see him ballin in the playoffs!
"like a wild band of Razorback hogs"

factchecker

WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

factchecker

WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

k.c.hawg

It is a testament to his personal discipline that he has been able to overcome the dysfunction in that franchise and play his best ball late this season. That was a masterful performance, a man with his length that can shoot it is going to hit the jackpot at some point. Ironically the trade of Taj Gibson opened up playing time for him and he gives Gibson a lot of credit for mentoring him when that staff and veteran players were in such disarray. Glad to see him doing well, too bad he couldn't have landed on a team with good coaching and good veteran leadership.
Just sitting on the deck with a cold beer and a hot tequila watching the razorbacks roam.

Breems

That pick and pop is money for Portis.
Proud member of the "Left Before Halftime" football club.

Quote from: Breems on January 27, 2011, 08:42:29 pm<br />SCREW VANDERBILT<br />

OnTheHillHogFan

Quote from: snoot hoggy hog on April 16, 2017, 09:00:24 pm
He's trending on twitter right now. Even Bill Simmons is feeling buyers remorse. Way to go OG Bobby!!!

https://twitter.com/BillSimmons/status/853775865217470464
He really like Bobby coming out and said several times on his podcast he wanted the Celtics to draft him.
Quote from: JaketheSnake on November 07, 2012, 10:28:17 am
Shoot the Obama deer... the ones that come for the free corn.
Quote from: ReddieHawg on November 06, 2013, 09:38:24 am
Do you happen to have any rapping skills? I think we could set you up with DJ Khaled and you could make a song entitled, "All I Do Is Bitch"

OnTheHillHogFan

Quote from: Breems on April 16, 2017, 10:35:11 pm
That pick and pop is money for Portis.
He needed to step back about 2 more feet on a couple of them though. But he has played great the last month or so.
Quote from: JaketheSnake on November 07, 2012, 10:28:17 am
Shoot the Obama deer... the ones that come for the free corn.
Quote from: ReddieHawg on November 06, 2013, 09:38:24 am
Do you happen to have any rapping skills? I think we could set you up with DJ Khaled and you could make a song entitled, "All I Do Is Bitch"

Nolan's Boots

Pigs Gon Fly Today Brotha

hogwood

He plays like a Hog on the floor. He is a testament to how hawgball can translate to the NBA. It's actually perfect, and I don't know how people can't see that. I hope Bobby has more and more success and becomes a recognizable spokesperson for our rising program.

I also found myself thinking - what if we ever got a player like that to stay for 4 years or just 3? Match that up with the way Mike is recruiting now and we'd have a natty. C'mon Reggie Perry!!

JayBell

He's definitely struggled at times the past two seasons, but I was very disappointed in how fast and how many Bulls fans turned on him.  He hasn't been as consistent as you'd like, but he's had some very good performances when given opportunities.

Mirotic is pretty solid.  He's just better than Portis some nights and he gets those minutes, but Portis is better on the glass.  I don't think Hoiberg has always rotated them effectively, or the rest of the team for that matter.

RebHog

Best big man on the floor last night for the bulls. His first step seems to be faster then when he was here at Arkansas which is a good thing, I was afraid that would be his downfall in the NBA. When Mirotic's shot isn't going in he should stay on the bench.

ChitownHawg

Quote from: k.c.hawg on April 16, 2017, 09:48:19 pm
It is a testament to his personal discipline that he has been able to overcome the dysfunction in that franchise and play his best ball late this season. That was a masterful performance, a man with his length that can shoot it is going to hit the jackpot at some point. Ironically the trade of Taj Gibson opened up playing time for him and he gives Gibson a lot of credit for mentoring him when that staff and veteran players were in such disarray. Glad to see him doing well, too bad he couldn't have landed on a team with good coaching and good veteran leadership.

Taj was a good Bull and I'll root for him wherever he plays.

Portis just need Hoiberg to give him more minutes. It seems when he has an off night he is benched. Not allowing him to play through the bad times, so he can get better.

If Hoiberg would give Bobby as many chances as he has given Nicko. I hope this offseason the Bulls dump Nicko.
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

Hogs run wild

so far tonight BP with a 3 ball, but getting lost on defense. more seasoned guys getting into his head.
We all got a chicken duck woman thing waiting for us.

yraciv

Quote from: Hogs run wild on April 18, 2017, 08:15:05 pm
so far tonight BP with a 3 ball, but getting lost on defense. more seasoned guys getting into his head.

And again in the ever changing Hoiberg rotation, Portis only got 9 minutes.

sickboy

Quote from: yraciv on April 18, 2017, 11:24:10 pm

Hard to argue the results tonight. Still, 9 minutes after the night he had in game one is bizzare.

PorkRinds

Quote from: sickboy on April 18, 2017, 11:38:34 pm
Hard to argue the results tonight. Still, 9 minutes after the night he had in game one is bizzare.

Agreed.

Adam Stokes

He only got the increase in minutes in game one because Mirotic was just playing horrible. In the first 5 minutes Bobby was on the floor in game 2 (whether his fault or not) there was a 10 point swing to the Celtics. It was nice that Bobby was able to step up when it was asked of him, but ideally for Hoiberg that isn't a normal situation. My guess is he'll get to play more in the following two games than we saw in game 2.

NWAHog479

Bobby is still a better player than Mirotic overall. Hoiberg seems to like the hot hand, but Bobby needs to be getting consistent minutes or else trade him.

HogInThaGrove

I'm consistently more confused by Hoiberg's rotations than even MA'a, and that's saying something. The Bulls seem to winning in spite of, not because of, anything Hoiberg is doing.

JayBell

Quote from: HogInThaGrove on April 19, 2017, 08:44:11 amI'm consistently more confused by Hoiberg's rotations than even MA'a, and that's saying something. The Bulls seem to winning in spite of, not because of, anything Hoiberg is doing.

I said all season the Bulls should've been higher in the standings.  Even with Rondo getting back to his former self down the stretch, they still hovered at .500 the whole season.

The Bulls have played well in the first two games - especially Butler and Portis in Game 1, then Rondo and Wade in Game 2 - but I think the 2-0 lead is as much about the Celtics' poor play around Thomas as anything the Bulls are doing.

ChitownHawg

Quote from: yraciv on April 18, 2017, 11:24:10 pm

Portis is inconsistent for this very reason. Butler was lucky that when he arrived with the team they kept giving him minutes and lived with the bad minutes.

I am not impressed with Hoiberg. But the screwed up front office will keep him because they squeaked into the playoffs.
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

ChitownHawg

Quote from: Adam Stokes on April 19, 2017, 07:46:13 am
He only got the increase in minutes in game one because Mirotic was just playing horrible. In the first 5 minutes Bobby was on the floor in game 2 (whether his fault or not) there was a 10 point swing to the Celtics. It was nice that Bobby was able to step up when it was asked of him, but ideally for Hoiberg that isn't a normal situation. My guess is he'll get to play more in the following two games than we saw in game 2.

That is the bizarreness of Hoiberg. He will continue to send Mirotic into the game even though he has more bad games than good. He has been that way for five years, so I would think a smart coach would realize good Mirotic is not coming to play every night.

Yet, Bobby Hustle sits on the bench. Hubie Brown has said several times give Bobby the minutes and he will grow to be a very good starter for the Bulls.

ChitownHawg

Quote from: HogInThaGrove on April 19, 2017, 08:44:11 am
I'm consistently more confused by Hoiberg's rotations than even MA'a, and that's saying something. The Bulls seem to winning in spite of, not because of, anything Hoiberg is doing.

Hoiberg has lost the locker room several times this year. I think the players realize he is over his head. Especially the players that were there when Tibs coached.

husker71

according to Simmons or his sidekick House nearly every team that was interested in getting Butler wanted Portis included in the package. Other GMs see his value

greenEGnHAWGS

Quote from: OnTheHillHogFan on April 16, 2017, 11:05:40 pm
He really like Bobby coming out and said several times on his podcast he wanted the Celtics to draft him.

What's crazy is my in-laws are from Boston, so obviously they're big Celtics fans. They wanted Portis, but they heard a report that Bobby's motor wasn't very good considering his minutes, which just goes to show how little these "experts" know about players. I explained that it was just the system that we ran and CMA likes to rotate a lot to keep the pace of the game high just like Nolan's 40 Minutes of Hell, and they were excited to get him...until they didn't.

Its just crazy to me that an analyst could miss so badly on an SEC POY.
Did they get you to trade a walk on part in the war, for a lead role in a cage...?

niels_boar

In this series:

Bobby Portis: 22 FGAs,  eFG% 73%
Nikola Mirotic: 40 FGAs, eFG% 41%

The biggest advantage Chicago has is on the boards.

Bobby Portis: 15.8 boards per 100 possessions
Mirotic:         11.5 boards per 100 possessions

Hoiberg is an idiot, and Chicago needs to get Portis more touches when he is in the game. Mirotic has taken 18 more treys than Portis in order to get only 3 more makes.
The jawbone of an ass is just as dangerous a weapon today as in Sampson's time.

ShadowHawg

Hoiberg is lost.

Even if if Portis weren't on this team I would still question his playing Mirotic as many minutes as he does. The guy is so soft on both ends of the floor.

Another mystery is the love affair with Zippser. The guy does some really bone headed stuff and while he will make some plays I haven't seen the good outweigh the bad. It's like Zippser doesn't understand the game at all at times.