Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Best Arkansas Football Atheletes?

Started by DLUXHOG, April 05, 2017, 03:23:26 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

DLUXHOG

I'm thinking that the best, or greatest in-state talent that Arkansas has ever produced are Matt Jones, Dmac, and Ryan Mallett.    Although Arkansas has produced some very good athletes, I think that these guys are elite (one or two may have had head issues, but as pure athletes, I can't think of anyone better...).     What are your thoughts?
"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

hobhog

Clyde Scott was before my time but think he was an Olympian..........

Im hoping we consider TJ Hammonds one day!

pignparadise

Lance Alworth lettered in three sports at Arkansas but was from Mississippi.
"The race is long.. and in the end it's only with yourself.....", Baz Luhrman "Sunscreen"

sowmonella

Not sure Ryan was a great athlete. Great QB and monster arm though.
Not trying to brag or make anyone jealous but I can still fit into the same pair of socks I wore in high school.
Proud member since August 2003

bennyl08

I would not put Mallett anywhere in the conversation for best in-state football athletes. You also mention talent at which point he is definitely part of the conversation, but not athlete.

As far as pure athleticism, I'd have to put Matt Jones at #1.
Matt Jones: 6'6 242, 4.37 forty (1.55 10 yard split) at the notoriously slow combine in indy. 39.5" vert, 10'9" broad. 20 reps on the bench, and a 4.20 shuttle. Now, if it was just those numbers without the size, I'd give it to Dmac. However, those numbers at 242 pounds, takes the cake.

2. Dmac: 6'1 211, 4.33 (1.51 split) forty at the combine. 13 reps on the bench, 33" vert (35.5" at proday), 10'8" broad, 4.10 shuttle* and 6.86 3cone* (*both only done at pro day).

3. Greg Childs: 6'3 219, 4.55 (1.54), 19 reps on bench, 36.5" vert, 10'5" broad, -combine, but still recovering from injury, cramps prevented participation in other drills.
      4.39 (1.52), (stood on combine bench results), 40.5" vert, 10'7" broad, 4.09 shuttle, 6.90 3-cone.
Child's shuttle, 3-cone, and broad jump were almost identical to McFadden's, his vertical was much better same with the bench. The only thing Darren has on Child's athletically is the forty, which if you compare Child's pro-day to Dmac's combine, is only 6 hundredths faster in the forty and 2 hundredths faster in the 10-yard split, which Childs is doing at 8 more pounds.

Hard to rank the next 3 but they are all worth an honorable mention.

Jerry Franklin: *proday numbers, 6'1 242, 4.63 forty (1.57 split), 15 reps, 37.5" vert, 10'3" broad, 4.38 shuttle, 6.93 3cone.

Peyton Hillis: combine: 6'1 240 ,4.66 (1.63), 26 reps, 30.5" vert, 9'9" broad, 7.15 3-cone
                  *proday: 4.57 (1.57), 35" vert, 4.24 shuttle

Jamaal Anderson: *proday: 6'5 288, 4.75 (1.59), 22 reps, 32.5" vert, 9'8" broad, 4.22 shuttle, 6.88 3-cone.
           Explosion isn't elite, but a 4.75 at that weight is great, and his 3-cone is better than childs and 0.02 away from DMac's! His shuttle is the same distance behind Matt Jones as well.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

bennyl08

Ryan Mallett: 6'7 253, combine: 24" vert, 8'7" broad,
*proday: 5.37 (1.84) forty, 26" vert, 8'7" broad

shuttle and 3cone he just didn't ever do.
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: hobhog on April 05, 2017, 04:27:30 pm
Clyde Scott was before my time but think he was an Olympian..........

Im hoping we consider TJ Hammonds one day!

Silver medal in high hurdles.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Inhogswetrust

If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

DLUXHOG

Quote from: bennyl08 on April 05, 2017, 05:30:29 pm
I would not put Mallett anywhere in the conversation for best in-state football athletes. You also mention talent at which point he is definitely part of the conversation, but not athlete.

As far as pure athleticism, I'd have to put Matt Jones at #1.
Matt Jones: 6'6 242, 4.37 forty (1.55 10 yard split) at the notoriously slow combine in indy. 39.5" vert, 10'9" broad. 20 reps on the bench, and a 4.20 shuttle. Now, if it was just those numbers without the size, I'd give it to Dmac. However, those numbers at 242 pounds, takes the cake.

2. Dmac: 6'1 211, 4.33 (1.51 split) forty at the combine. 13 reps on the bench, 33" vert (35.5" at proday), 10'8" broad, 4.10 shuttle* and 6.86 3cone* (*both only done at pro day).

3. Greg Childs: 6'3 219, 4.55 (1.54), 19 reps on bench, 36.5" vert, 10'5" broad, -combine, but still recovering from injury, cramps prevented participation in other drills.
      4.39 (1.52), (stood on combine bench results), 40.5" vert, 10'7" broad, 4.09 shuttle, 6.90 3-cone.
Child's shuttle, 3-cone, and broad jump were almost identical to McFadden's, his vertical was much better same with the bench. The only thing Darren has on Child's athletically is the forty, which if you compare Child's pro-day to Dmac's combine, is only 6 hundredths faster in the forty and 2 hundredths faster in the 10-yard split, which Childs is doing at 8 more pounds.

Hard to rank the next 3 but they are all worth an honorable mention.

Jerry Franklin: *proday numbers, 6'1 242, 4.63 forty (1.57 split), 15 reps, 37.5" vert, 10'3" broad, 4.38 shuttle, 6.93 3cone.

Peyton Hillis: combine: 6'1 240 ,4.66 (1.63), 26 reps, 30.5" vert, 9'9" broad, 7.15 3-cone
                  *proday: 4.57 (1.57), 35" vert, 4.24 shuttle

Jamaal Anderson: *proday: 6'5 288, 4.75 (1.59), 22 reps, 32.5" vert, 9'8" broad, 4.22 shuttle, 6.88 3-cone.
           Explosion isn't elite, but a 4.75 at that weight is great, and his 3-cone is better than childs and 0.02 away from DMac's! His shuttle is the same distance behind Matt Jones as well.

I believe I'm inclined to agree with you regarding Matt Jones being the best....  it is such a shame his head got in his way.......

jrulz83

Lenin is cautiously optimistic.

PorkSoda

Greg Childs was a beast before his injury.  He was still good after, but if he had not been injured he would have made julio jones look weak.

Joe Adams should be in the conversation as well.  not as fast as the others, but had a level of body control that can't be taught.

Knile Davis ran a 4.37 at 5-11 227 and did 31 reps in the bench.  which is pretty beastly as well. (oops, he was from texas though)

"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

bennyl08

Quote from: PorkSoda on April 05, 2017, 05:43:57 pm
Greg Childs was a beast before his injury.  He was still good after, but if he had not been injured he would have made julio jones look weak.

Joe Adams should be in the conversation as well.  not as fast as the others, but had a level of body control that can't be taught.

Knile Davis ran a 4.37 at 5-11 227 and did 31 reps in the bench.  which is pretty beastly as well. (oops, he was from texas though)

Knile would have been on my list if  he wasn't from Texas. The numbers Child's put up at the proday were pretty beastly. Don't think he'd have performed much if any better before pro-day.

His numbers are extremely comparable to the Green/Peterson/Julio combo that I all lump together since they were the same draft class and had similar size-speed freakishness.

Joe had very good body control, but I didn't list h I'm in part due to his size, only being 5'10 179.

Snizzzo

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on April 05, 2017, 05:34:21 pm
What nobody has said Shabazz yet?

Not sure if serious or being a typical internet cynic, but that is the correct answer.   

Boog41

Carlos Hall has to at least be mentioned. For his size the dude was a freak on his stats.

rlamb

One other was home grown (Wynne, Ar.) tackle/nose guard and Outland Award winner in 55" or so,
Bud Brooks. He did this at about 6' 1" AND 220 LBS. The best lineman in the Country. We have only 1 other, Loyd
"Catfish" Phillips. 

Snorts

Clyde Scott was actually born in Dixie LA.  He is 92 years old and still with us, one of Arkansas' greatest ever.

We retired his number, he is a member of the College Football HOF as well as the SWC HOF, played 5 years in the NFL after being drafted 8th.

He was widely considered to be the fastest man in College FB during his playing time.  According to all who saw the photo, he was screwed out of the gold medal in the Olympics after a photo finish in the hurdles.

Needs to be included in any discussion like this one, but he isn't really home grown, being from Loosey-anna and all.

hvsupastar

The best Arkansas athlete ever is Jermaine Taylor, World Champion
"Do not believe everything you read on the internet just because it has quotations next to the image of someone prominent" - Abraham Lincoln

hogcard1964

Lance Alworth

...and it's not very close.

DEVIL DOG HOG

Dan Hampton, born in Oklahoma but graduated from Jacksonville Arkansas.
"I love college football. It's the time of the year you can walk down the street with a girl on one arm and a blanket on the other, and nobody thinks twice about it." DUFFY DAUGHERTY

GO GREEN!

hvsupastar

Guess I missed the football part. 

From a combine perspective it'd be Darren McFadden and Matt Jones.  From an on the field perspective it would be Darren Mcfadden and Lance Alworth. 

"Do not believe everything you read on the internet just because it has quotations next to the image of someone prominent" - Abraham Lincoln

bob slydell

Barry Lunney Jr was a pretty good all around athlete.  Two sport star at the UofA as well as his accomplishments in 3 sports in high school.

Also, Zach Painter out of Jonesboro is typically left out of the conversation.  If you're talking about all around athleticism, not many were better in this state.
*this is not a criticism of moderatin.

NaturalStateReb

If we're talking the State of Arkansas, not just the university, then you've got to put up Shabazz, for sure.

In addition to those mentioned, some others that jump to mind:  Darwin Ireland, Madre Hill, Chico Fletcher, Billy Warren, Vernon Hicks, DeAngelo Williams, Don Kessinger.
"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

outlawhogeywells

Exit Pursued by a Boar

Ryan Mallet went to high school in Texarkana, Texas. Not sure that makes him an in-state athlete.  Lots of names given in replies above. Carlos Hall was a freak.  Never really translated his measurables to the field, but a freak nonetheless.

EFBAB

Exit Pursued by a Boar

Quote from: outlawhogeywells on April 06, 2017, 10:53:42 am
How can we forget Gary Anderson

He was born in Columbia, MO. I think he played high school ball in St. Louis.

EFBAB

PorkSoda

"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

oldhog63

Quote from: rlamb on April 06, 2017, 02:39:47 am
One other was home grown (Wynne, Ar.) tackle/nose guard and Outland Award winner in 55" or so,
Bud Brooks. He did this at about 6' 1" AND 220 LBS. The best lineman in the Country. We have only 1 other, Loyd
"Catfish" Phillips. 
Quote from: hogcard1964 on April 06, 2017, 09:09:19 am
Lance Alworth

...and it's not very close.

Until these two quotes, I was thinking the OP and all the responders were teenagers. Many excellent athletes played before 2000.

bennyl08

Quote from: oldhog63 on April 06, 2017, 03:10:17 pm
Until these two quotes, I was thinking the OP and all the responders were teenagers. Many excellent athletes played before 2000.

Yeah, but you can't quantify their athleticism before 2000, at least not easily. That's before combine and pro day numbers were readily available or even reported. It's like the difference b/w being able to say which food is the healthiest to eat vs which is the tastiest. You can quantify nutrition, but the latter is pure opinion.

Tusks

sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: DEVIL DOG HOG on April 06, 2017, 09:46:02 am
Dan Hampton, born in Oklahoma but graduated from Jacksonville Arkansas.

Lance Alworth is not from Arkansas either. The two pro football HOf'ers that are recognized as Arkansans were not bon here.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: tusked on April 06, 2017, 04:24:40 pm
Jerry Eckwood

Steve Little

Eckwood is from Arkansas, Little was from Kansas City. RIP Steve.
Go Hogs Go!

snoot hoggy hog

Toss up between Basil Shabazz and D-Dawg

HogBreath

Quote from: exit followed by a boar on April 06, 2017, 11:17:54 am
He was born in Columbia, MO. I think he played high school ball in St. Louis.

EFBAB
Wasn't he from Bearden?
I said...LSU has often been an overrated team.

That ignoramus Draconian Sanctions said..if we're overrated, why are we ranked higher than you are?

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: HogBreath on April 07, 2017, 07:00:26 am
Wasn't he from Bearden?

No. Exit is correct. Born in Columbia, MO and played high school in St. Louis.

theFlyingHog

Since no one has said it yet I guess I will. What is an athelete?

DLUXHOG

Quote from: tusked on April 06, 2017, 04:24:40 pm
Jerry Eckwood

Steve Little
I thought Little was from Kansas or Missouri...?

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: DLUXHOG on April 09, 2017, 12:00:21 pm
I thought Little was from Kansas or Missouri...?

Born in IL, played high school ball in Kansas.

thebignasty

Shawn Andrews ran a 5.49 and had a 28inch vertical at 6'7" 370.

bennyl08

Quote from: thebignasty on April 09, 2017, 08:21:31 pm
Shawn Andrews ran a 5.49 and had a 28inch vertical at 6'7" 370.

6'4 366.

Ran a 5.52 (1.96 split) at the combine and a 5.49 at the pro day.
25" vertical at the combine
27 reps on the bench
8'2" broad jump,
4.85 shuttle,
8.25 3cone.

Contrast that with the Baylor TE/OG LeQuan McGowan
6'6 405
5.48 forty (1.85 split)
30 reps on bench
24" vert
8'2" broad,
5.38 shuttle
8.28 3cone

Boog41

Carlos's Hall - https://www.mockdraftable.com/embed/carlos-hall

Measurable   Measurement   %tile
Height                    6' 4"   57
Weight                 259 lbs   27
40 Yard Dash            4.67s   86
Vertical Jump               40"   96
Broad Jump             129"   97
20 Yard Shuttle            4.19s   91
Bench Press          20 reps.     23

Shaun Andrews - his percentile measurements aren't even close to Carlos Hall's.

Measurable   Measurement   %tile
Height                    6' 4"   8
Weight                 366 lbs   98
40 Yard Dash            5.49s   11
Vertical Jump               25"   17
Broad Jump               98"   27
20 Yard Shuttle            4.93s   17
Bench Press         27 reps   69

redleg

Darren McFadden...from North Little Rock, played for the Hogs.
It's hard to beat the stats and accolades:
SEC All-Freshman Team, Freshman All-American, SEC Newcomer of the Year, 3-time 1st team All-SEC, 2-time SEC Offensive POY, 2-time All-American, 1st team All-American, 2-time Doak Walker Award winner, Walter Camp Award winner, 2-time Heisman Trophy runner-up, school's all-time leader in carries and rushing yards in a game-season-career, 1st round draft pick, and a good pro career (not great, but mostly productive) that is still going.
:razorback:
If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.

redleg

Has anyone seen the ESPN 30 for 30 episode "The Best that Never Was"? It's about Marcus Dupree.
I think Basil Shabazz is Arkansas' "Best that Never Was". If he had just stayed the course, I truly believe that we would be debating who was the better Razorback running back...The Great Shabazz or D-Mac!

Jackrabbit Hog

Marcus Monk

(dodges rotten tomatoes, rotten eggs and insults as he types this...)
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

bennyl08

Quote from: redleg on April 10, 2017, 10:43:47 am
Darren McFadden...from North Little Rock, played for the Hogs.
It's hard to beat the stats and accolades:
SEC All-Freshman Team, Freshman All-American, SEC Newcomer of the Year, 3-time 1st team All-SEC, 2-time SEC Offensive POY, 2-time All-American, 1st team All-American, 2-time Doak Walker Award winner, Walter Camp Award winner, 2-time Heisman Trophy runner-up, school's all-time leader in carries and rushing yards in a game-season-career, 1st round draft pick, and a good pro career (not great, but mostly productive) that is still going.

As you allude to in your next post, production and accolades do not define athletic talent. Hard to beat the stats and accolades, but if the question is the best athlete, then stats and accolades become irrelevant.

Of course, Dmac still among the best just by athleticism as well; however, Matt Jones has almost identical athleticism in a much larger body so I give him the top nod.

bennyl08

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on April 10, 2017, 12:04:59 pm
Marcus Monk

(dodges rotten tomatoes, rotten eggs and insults as he types this...)

Monk is up there no doubt.

Marcus Monk
*Note, combine numbers still coming off of injury, similar situation to Childs
6'4 222
4.63 (1.60) combine, 4.41 (1.48) proday
9 reps bench
34.5" vert combine, 36" proday
9'11" broad jump
4.30 shuttle
7.08 3cone

Clearly very athletic, but definitely a step down from Childs who is in the honorable mention section to begin with.

kingoftherapids

redleg

Quote from: bennyl08 on April 10, 2017, 01:42:38 pm
As you allude to in your next post, production and accolades do not define athletic talent. Hard to beat the stats and accolades, but if the question is the best athlete, then stats and accolades become irrelevant.

Of course, Dmac still among the best just by athleticism as well; however, Matt Jones has almost identical athleticism in a much larger body so I give him the top nod.
I agree. But we will never know what Shabazz could have done in college. Chances are, he would have had to go to a Jr College for at least one year, if not two, out of high school because his grades were not good enough to sign with a four-year school. That was probably another reason he signed with the St. Louis Cardinals instead of going to a Juco...not to mention the money for himself and his little brother, since they were broke with no blood relatives around them.
Just imagine a Razorback backfield in 1994 featuring Basil Shabazz AND Madre Hill!  :o

Snizzzo

Quote from: redleg on April 11, 2017, 10:39:47 am
I agree. But we will never know what Shabazz could have done in college. Chances are, he would have had to go to a Jr College for at least one year, if not two, out of high school because his grades were not good enough to sign with a four-year school. That was probably another reason he signed with the St. Louis Cardinals instead of going to a Juco...not to mention the money for himself and his little brother, since they were broke with no blood relatives around them.
Just imagine a Razorback backfield in 1994 featuring Basil Shabazz AND Madre Hill!  :o

Loved Madre, but Basil was a considerably better back.  He also still holds state track records and was a high draft pick by one of the all-time great MLB teams.

Boog41

I understand Basil was a great high school athlete. But major college sports is littered with great high school athletes who failed to continue to develop both physically and mentally.

Sadly, we will never know about Basil.. just like we will never know about how beautiful the children would have been that I'd have had with Farrah Fawcett.