Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Why did you become a Hogs fan?

Started by 40MinutesOfHellFOREVER, March 29, 2017, 03:23:47 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

jgphillips3

It's funny looking back, but it is a tale of how TV can affect fandom.  My first football memories were watching the Pittsburgh Steelers win their first two Super Bowls and becoming a Steelers fan for life.  Back then, very few Razorback football games were on TV and I was too young to go very often with my Dad and the older people.  However, when the triplets came along, you could see more Razorback basketball on TV since there were just more games to air 30 versus 10.  So basketball drew me in and I was a Hog basketball fan before the 78 orange bowl got me interested in football.  So I actually have Moncrief and company to thank for a lifelong obsession with the Hogs.

Warbirdhog

Svrdhd

I'm an alum and the first in my family to attend or graduate college. That heavily influenced my younger siblings to become lifelong Razorback fans. Even though they later graduated from Baylor and Sam Houston State, all their gear is still Arkansas.
  Following that pattern, my oldest son is a newly minted engineer from Georgia Tech and follows Arkansas and not the Yellow Jackets.
I'll burn that bridge when I come to it.

Pigasaurus

Quote from: RaisinHog on March 29, 2017, 04:19:19 pm
I was born a razorbacks and St Louis Cardinals fan the maddest my momma will ever get is if you talk bad about her hogs or red birds.. she literally burned pujoles jerseys and posters when he headed west

My mom was big hog basketball fan, she loved US Reed.  My dad grew up a Cardinals fan, that's who he could get on his little radio.
"If I wanted you to know what I was thinking, I would be talking."  Al Bundy

jim683

born into it.  My grandparents were big football fans from way back.  I remember to this day when they would take us to games and we would sit in the $1 end zone seats. 

My uncle used to take me to games also.  He also started taking me to basketball games when you could walk up, buy a ticket, and sit almost anywhere you wanted.    I remember going to games when Eddie Sutton first came to Arkansas.   

Through the good and bad,  always been a Razorback fan,  mostly football, men's and women's basketball, and baseball.  Proud of what has been accomplished in other sports, but don't follow them as much

Now I have another reason to be excited since Mike Neighbors was named coach of the women's team

cosmodrum

Quote from: WorfHog on April 01, 2017, 10:36:41 pm
Alumnus, my first year as a fan was 2005 and it was rough.

I was in grad school on The Hill and was stoked about $1 tickets in the student section. Unfortunately, it was year 2 of Dale's 2 year pass, vandy (Cutler beat us), then we went out to LA and got it pushed in on us by USC.

Oy ve...
Go away, batin'

elksnort

Quote from: ChicoHog on March 31, 2017, 10:24:17 pm
I was born in IN but lived in PA from age 8-18 and my sister, 14 years older than me, got a job teaching a the U of A in the early 70's.  My mom and dad and I would visit her every summer and she always gave me Hog t-shirts, sweat shirts, etc., so I grew to root for the Hogs along with Notre Dame, my dad's favorite team.  I remember being so heart broken in 1978 when both the Irish and the hogs made the Final Four but both lost in the semi-finals.  That started my hatred towards Duke and Kentucky!  And both ND and Arkansas also had good football teams back then.  I decided I wanted to attend college at Arkansas  (tried but didn't get accepted to Notre Dame) and was there from fall of 79 to spring of 83.  Watched good football and basketball.  Was devastated when Sutton left for UK but understood that was a premier job.  By this time I had moved to CA and didn't really follow basketball nearly as much until they made Final Four again in 1990.  No internet back then and all games weren't televised so it was much harder to follow teams from afar. 
My sister retired from teaching at the University a couple years ago and still lives in Springdale.  For the last 27 years myself and some college buddies have all gone back for a football game every year and stay at her house. 
Who did you root for during the consolation game between Arkansas and Notre Dame?