Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

One good comment about the officiating

Started by Corkscrew Johnson, March 20, 2017, 03:47:23 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Corkscrew Johnson

Outside of the egregious, unconscionable game-altering decisions we have witnessed in a handful of games this tourney....

The overall flow of the games has been much more tolerable to watch.  Fewer whistles, more physical play.  It's more enjoyable to the viewer, and it bodes well for teams like the Hogs who play aggressive defense. 

I didn't watch a lot of games outside the SEC this year, so I'm not sure if the whistle-mania was endemic to the SEC crew.   If so, the SEC does itself no service by calling games differently than the rest of the country.  Or even if the games were called tighter nationwide, and they just "let them play" during the tournament....shouldn't the SEC be advocating a refereeing strategy that is closest to how games will be called during the tourney?  I would think, as a conference, you would want to do whatever gives your members the best chance at national success. 

Regardless, a game with fewer fouls is much more enjoyable to watch (unless that foul is blatant contact on a 3 point shot with 2 minutes to play in a game, or a point guard driving into the lane like a rhino with his head down...those can be called!)

hawgdavis

Except for the last 5 min of the game or games I agree. The make their presence known to help out the big boys. It has been extremely evident in this years tournament