Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Coaching Staff Changes

Started by NWAHog479, March 20, 2017, 08:45:27 am

Previous topic - Next topic

NWAHog479

What are the chances of their being a possible change to the coaching staff?
-Watkins retiring
-Z getting another demotion

Any thoughts?

lunchbox72703

keep Zimmerman where he is at!!!  This has been one of the most entertaining radio commentary years I have ever remembered!!!  I don't mind the homerism......I love it in fact!!!!  LOL LOL

Smithian

Quote from: NWAHog479 on March 20, 2017, 08:45:27 am
-Watkins retiring

Any thoughts?
Watkins is only 62. From all reports does pretty well as the Associate Head Coach of the program. Maybe he looks for a low major head job but he is compensated pretty well. Doubt this happens.

What did Zimmerman do to get another demotion? Can't see a reason for this happening.

Pork Twain

I am happy with this last class and the next two (looks like we are getting recruiting figured out) and the coaches really brought this team together over the course of the year.  Not sure why we would want to make any changes at this point.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

Lanny

Watkins doesn't need to leave, Watkins is the main recruiter for the Little Rock players
"It's only a game if you win but if you lose it's a stinking waste of time."

Al Bundy

GuvHog

Quote from: Pork Twain on March 20, 2017, 08:50:32 am
I am happy with this last class and the next two (looks like we are getting recruiting figured out) and the coaches really brought this team together over the course of the year.  Not sure why we would want to make any changes at this point.

The 2018 class is still incomplete as Mike needs to sign at least one and preferably 2 big men. Right now, he only has Gafford for the 2018-2019  season unless Gafford goes one and done.

I don't see any staff changes coming either.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

The_Bionic_Pig

TJ Cleveland has been the only one I'm aware of actively seeking a D-1 Head Coaching gig.

Todd Day is attaining/polishing  his college coaching resume as he's been wanting to join the staff in Fayetteville since Mike's return in 2011
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

jbhogfan4

Quote from: The_Bionic_Pig on March 20, 2017, 08:59:58 am
TJ Cleveland has been the only one I'm aware of actively seeking a D-1 Head Coaching gig.

Todd Day is attaining/polishing  his college coaching resume as he's been wanting to join the staff in Fayetteville since Mike's return in 2011

Porked Tongue made a comment a little while back stating there were staff changes in the works. Almost made it sound like it was a for sure thing.

I wouldn't mind an assistant who wasn't a previous player of Andersons for fresh new ideas, but at the same time Todd Day could seriously open some doors into Memphis. And that would be huge

razoredge178

Z might be entertaining, but he's an embarrassment to that industry. I almost said "his industry" but he's not in radio or media so that would even insult the industry some more.

Hawg Red

Over the past year, it has become apparent that Watkins and Thurman are assets to the staff in terms of recruiting. Watkins has been the main recruiter for the Arkansas Hawks players. Cleveland has also been cited by several recruits as their main recruiter (Barford, for example). There has been a lot of discussion over the years about needing change on the coaching staff, but I think these guys are pulling their weight. I would think if there was a staff change (and Porked Tongue did say their would be one), it would be T.J. leaving to become a head coach somewhere. If you were tell me all of our assistants would be back next season, I would have no issue. A lot has been proven by these guys, IMO.

Pork Twain

Quote from: GuvHog on March 20, 2017, 08:59:01 am
The 2018 class is still incomplete as Mike needs to sign at least one and preferably 2 big men. Right now, he only has Gafford for the 2018-2019  season unless Gafford goes one and done.

I don't see any staff changes coming either.
General question for the audience.  Other than Connor Vanover, do we have any more offers out to bigs?
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

NWAHog479

I would love to get Manny on staff ASAP, guy loves this program and would be able to sell it to these young kids coming in. Todd Day would be nice as well for the Memphis/Penny connect.

Hawg Red

Quote from: NWAHog479 on March 20, 2017, 10:03:41 am
I would love to get Manny on staff ASAP, guy loves this program and would be able to sell it to these young kids coming in. Todd Day would be nice as well for the Memphis/Penny connect.

I think Manny would make a great coach. I'd like to see him pursue professional basketball on some level for a few years, though. Just give it a try. They need role players everywhere.

LRHawg

Quote from: lunchbox72703 on March 20, 2017, 08:47:23 am
keep Zimmerman where he is at!!!  This has been one of the most entertaining radio commentary years I have ever remembered!!!  I don't mind the homerism......I love it in fact!!!!  LOL LOL

I agree. He hates KY. This is good.

PonderinHog

Quote from: LRHawg on March 20, 2017, 10:11:04 am
I agree. He hates KY. This is good.

King Kong

After he say this season ended I would be surprised if there are any changes outside of promotions going elsewhere. Like a TJ Cleveland to Austin Peavy or something like that

http://www.theleafchronicle.com/story/sports/college/apsu/basketball/2017/03/15/who-next-coach-austin-peay-basketball/99215554/

Hawg Red

Quote from: King Kong on March 20, 2017, 10:36:27 am
After he say this season ended I would be surprised if there are any changes outside of promotions going elsewhere. Like a TJ Cleveland to Austin Peavy or something like that

http://www.theleafchronicle.com/story/sports/college/apsu/basketball/2017/03/15/who-next-coach-austin-peay-basketball/99215554/

Their take on T.J.:

QuoteTJ Cleveland, Arkansas assistant

Cleveland is widely considered one of the best young recruiters in the nation (an area the Govs will need to capitalize on in the future) and has a reputation for hard work and as a star on the rise. The former Razorback has been key in Arkansas' backcourt success, which saw the team improve their turnover margin by 200 percent and move from 101st in the nation to 19th in a single season. He was also instrumental in the recruitment and development of Bobby Portis.

King Kong

Quote from: Hawg Red on March 20, 2017, 10:52:08 am
Their take on T.J.:

Lol, yeah knew he was responsible for every positive thing in our program

PonderinHog

Here's my over simplified take on TJ.  At some point you have to grow wings and fly from the nest.  I don't think TJ will be considered for the HC position at Arkansas, unless he becomes a head coach somewhere else, first. 

Smithian

Is there another program in the country as reliant as Arkansas on hiring people with close ties to program? I guess Syracuse and Duke are programs that are big on former players but I can't think of a program more equivalent to Arkansas.

I know end of the day if Cleveland left and a former player replaced him it wouldn't change much but if it were to Watkins leaving I'd be disappointed if he replaced his high major head coaching experience with a former player. I imagine/hope Anderson would try to find more experience. I think Watkins makes $300k. That is a really good assistant money in college basketball. A top recruiter or former head coach could be found for that number.

GuvHog

Quote from: Pork Twain on March 20, 2017, 09:49:03 am
General question for the audience.  Other than Connor Vanover, do we have any more offers out to bigs?

As far as I know, the answer is no and that could cause problems for the 2018-2019 team.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

Slater

TJ also is pretty tight with Brad Loos (son of Dave) and that will not hurt his chances. His situation slightly different in that he has been with his uncle Mike since he stepped foot on the campus at Arkansas. Following him to UAB, Mizzou and now Fayetteville. They are obviously super close, that's not a knock, just facts. TJ has twin sons that Mike and his family make their own as well. I wonder if TJ left if Zim would not follow him and be his lead assistant at Austin Peay?
FASTEST 40 ILUVMIKE

Hollywood870

Bringing in Corliss or Todd Day would be my vote. Corliss had some great fundamentals down on the block. With what he's learned in the NBA, he would be a slam dunk if we could get him.

Danny J

Quote from: Smithian on March 20, 2017, 11:56:26 am
Is there another program in the country as reliant as Arkansas on hiring people with close ties to program? I guess Syracuse and Duke are programs that are big on former players but I can't think of a program more equivalent to Arkansas.

I know end of the day if Cleveland left and a former player replaced him it wouldn't change much but if it were to Watkins leaving I'd be disappointed if he replaced his high major head coaching experience with a former player. I imagine/hope Anderson would try to find more experience. I think Watkins makes $300k. That is a really good assistant money in college basketball. A top recruiter or former head coach could be found for that number.
Notre Dame...Brey has I think 4 former players on staff and I think only 2 are true assistants.

I have no issue bringing back former players. I think it is good for a family culture and everybody is on the same page. There is also the stability factor. I think the family feel is good for trying to sell a 18 year old on your program and maybe to help get a kid away from his closer, home state school.

Razorbackers

Quote from: NWAHog479 on March 20, 2017, 08:45:27 am
-Watkins retiring

Any thoughts?

I don't think Zim will be getting demoted. He might not be on the radio any more (which would be a shame because he's great) but he's going to stay at UA for a while, maybe forever if he can.

HF#1

Quote from: Razorbackers on March 20, 2017, 01:18:51 pm
I don't think Zim will be getting demoted. He might not be on the radio any more (which would be a shame because he's great) but he's going to stay at UA for a while, maybe forever if he can.

Agreed, I think he is the Tim Horton of basketball. Horton's tenure spanned 3 head coaches is what I mean by that. Knowing he is at Auburn and what not.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

Hawg Red

Quote from: Danny J on March 20, 2017, 01:15:52 pm
Notre Dame...Brey has I think 4 former players on staff and I think only 2 are true assistants.

I have no issue bringing back former players. I think it is good for a family culture and everybody is on the same page. There is also the stability factor. I think the family feel is good for trying to sell a 18 year old on your program and maybe to help get a kid away from his closer, home state school.

As long as they are earning their keep and providing value to the program, I'd love to have the staff be all former players. I think for a while, many were concerned that the staff had gotten "fat and lazy," but I think it's clear now that they've put in a lot of work to get this program turned around. We can see the relationships they've been building now starting to become fruitful.

Danny J

Quote from: Hawg Red on March 20, 2017, 01:47:25 pm
As long as they are earning their keep and providing value to the program, I'd love to have the staff be all former players. I think for a while, many were concerned that the staff had gotten "fat and lazy," but I think it's clear now that they've put in a lot of work to get this program turned around. We can see the relationships they've been building now starting to become fruitful.
We are on the same page

Letsroll1200

Quote from: Lanny on March 20, 2017, 08:52:05 am
Watkins doesn't need to leave, Watkins is the main recruiter for the Little Rock players

A lot of people are not aware. He has been the main coach working the central Arkansas kids.

pork in the whiskers

Quote from: razoredge178 on March 20, 2017, 09:39:25 am
Z might be entertaining, but he's an embarrassment to that industry. I almost said "his industry" but he's not in radio or media so that would even insult the industry some more.

Zimm is learning on the job and, at least he knows the game. Plus, he is a good guy, affable & engaging in public. And, he didn't call the Heels South Carolina once yesterday that I am aware; however, in the less than a minute I listened to the broadcast (first 30 seconds of game & as I got in the car after game) Suck Barrett did so twice. I am willing to bet, there were more. Bud, Sam,  Paul, and Mike were far better! Hell, so was Dave Woodman and he had no time to prepare, following Bud's tragedy.

Yeah, Zimm is not the issue.

Youngsta71701

I think Watkins might leave for another head coaching opportunity if anything. JMO though...Carry on...
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

Porked Tongue

Mayberry is headed to UAPB to be an assistant AD.  One more change still very likely. ;)

As success comes, our assistants have more opportunities. 

The_Iceman

I would love to see Corliss on the staff one day. He has NBA connections, has a good personality for recruiting, and can coach interior play.

010HogFan

He is a nut. Sounds like a local high school broadcast with him on the air.

Porked Tongue

Quote from: The_Iceman on March 20, 2017, 04:26:59 pm
I would love to see Corliss on the staff one day. He has NBA connections, has a good personality for recruiting, and can coach interior play.
Doesn't appear to be a real possibility.  At least not in the foreseeable future.  His college resume doesn't help him.

Little Lady Back

Quote from: The_Iceman on March 20, 2017, 04:26:59 pm

I would too.
#NolanRichardsonCourt

NWAHog479

Quote from: Porked Tongue on March 20, 2017, 04:22:00 pm
Mayberry is headed to UAPB to be an assistant AD.  One more change still very likely. ;)

As success comes, our assistants have more opportunities.

Is there any truth to Mayberry going to UAPB?

Smithian

Quote from: Porked Tongue on March 20, 2017, 04:35:03 pm
Doesn't appear to be a real possibility.  At least not in the foreseeable future.  His college resume doesn't help him.
That and being an NBA assistant pays better with less recruiting responsibilities than the college game.

ShadowHawg

Kevin Ollie at UCONN. Kentucky, UCLA

I can't think of many who don't.

hogfooey

Quote from: NWAHog479 on March 21, 2017, 08:26:29 am
Porked knows what he's talking about
If the Hogs are wrong!  I don't want to be right!

VBMark

I don't know...how about some dude named, Roy Williams? Or, we could say...hmm...Georgetown...and, what about Indiana, want to guess who is at the top of their list to be the next Head Hoosier?
John L. Smith is so bad that he will laugh himself off the field

Slater

Quote from: NWAHog479 on March 21, 2017, 08:26:29 am

His wife has a new job there
FASTEST 40 ILUVMIKE

BoarnSupremacy

Quote from: Hawg Red on March 20, 2017, 01:47:25 pm

Good G!  This entire staff has zero coaching experience at all other than Watkins who lost 70% of his games as head coach.  Even Mizzou has Shields as an assistant.  This whole assistant staff is the worst experienced in the SEC.  Mike gave them a job.

BoarnSupremacy

A much much better senior assistant coach can be hired for that.  Watkins has been a loser for years before hooking up with gravy train Mike.   Hope they get rid of him and others.

lefty08

Quote from: BoarnSupremacy on March 22, 2017, 08:59:56 pm

A much much better senior assistant coach can be hired for that.  Watkins has been a loser for years before hooking up with gravy train Mike.   Hope they get rid of him and others.

We could start by taking your loser ass out the back and breaking your keyboard over your mullet, but we don't.  We should, but we dont
Re: So far the UC press conference is hilarious   Reply
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.
3/21 8:11 PM | IP: Logged

sowmonella

Quote from: lefty08 on March 22, 2017, 09:10:39 pm
We could start by taking your loser ass out the back and breaking your keyboard over your mullet, but we don't.  We should, but we dont

I wished we could just for once.
Not trying to brag or make anyone jealous but I can still fit into the same pair of socks I wore in high school.
Proud member since August 2003

Smithian

Quote from: ShadowHawg on March 22, 2017, 05:09:08 pm
Kevin Ollie at UCONN. Kentucky, UCLA

I can't think of many who don't.
Good point on Connecticut.  But as far as I can tell Steve Alford and John Calipari have hired staffs with no ties to their schools before they took over the programs.

Quote from: VBMark on March 22, 2017, 06:19:14 pm
I don't know...how about some dude named, Roy Williams? Or, we could say...hmm...Georgetown...and, what about Indiana, want to guess who is at the top of their list to be the next Head Hoosier?
Roy Williams for his first years at North Carolina had three assistants who either played under him or coached at Kansas. Two still have Kansas roots, Hubert Davis being the exception. Georgetown has three assistants with no ties to the school until Thompson brought them in.

Quote from: Danny J on March 20, 2017, 01:15:52 pm

You're right on Brey, has a couple former players as assistants.

I have no problem hiring people with ties to the program. If I was a head coach I'd like to have a staff with some ties to the program who understand the culture. I'm just saying I wouldn't mind going for someone with fresh relationships. I thought Zimmerman should have been replaced by an outsider with recruiting chops. Mike Anderson has forgotten more about coaching than I'll ever know but I still think if Cleveland or Watkins leaves the smart move would be to go out and see what candidates could bring a fresh take to our program. If the question becomes something like whether Lee Mayberry or Todd Day is more ready to be an assistant I'd be disappointed.

I think the staff does a heck of a job developing players and I like their game day coaching but I still worry about recruiting.

Smithian

Quote from: BoarnSupremacy on March 22, 2017, 08:59:56 pm

You can be a good assistant even if you lose a head coach. Plenty of top lieutenants around college basketball had bad runs as the head guys. I know you're trolling but couldn't let that stupid comment go.

ShadowHawg

Quote from: Smithian on March 22, 2017, 09:43:24 pm
Good point on Connecticut.  But as far as I can tell Steve Alford and John Calipari have hired staffs with no ties to their schools before they took over the programs.

I think the staff does a heck of a job developing players and I like their game day coaching but I still worry about recruiting.

Alford has Tyus Edny on staff.

Calipari has had Tony Delk on staff in the past.

I think that what makes our staff unique is how long the assistants stick around.

Rbill

Just out of curiosity, can someone tell me what our assistants do? I mean that question seriously, in case you were wondering. What are each of their responsibilities and specialties?