Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

starting 5 for 2006-07 basketball hogs?

Started by Modsquad24, June 25, 2006, 03:09:03 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Modsquad24

I know it's early but I'm hyped for this coming season with all the talent on the roster and a team that I think can go farther in the NCAA Tournament believe it or not.

Here's my predicted starting lineup to start the season:

Gary Ervin 5-11 Junior Guard
Sean McCurdy 6-1 Sophomore Guard
Sonny Weems 6-6 Junior Forward
Charles Thomas 6-8 Junior Forward
Steven Hill 7-0 Junior Center

I think thats a pretty good starting 5 that can score, rebound and defend with the best in the sec, here's a look at our bench,

Vincent Hunter 6-10 Junior Forward
Darian Townes 6-10 Junior Forward/Center
Cyrus McGowan 6-9 Sophomore Forward
Patrick Beverley 6-2 Freshmen Guard
Stefan Welsh 6-3 Freshmen Guard
Micheal Washington 6-10 Freshmen Forward
Preston Cranford 6-7 Junior Guard

fresh faces or not this team has the potential to be really good I think, there's alot of talent on the roster and if we get to clicking by March this team could play themselves deeper into the tourney despite the loss of Ferguson, Modica and Brewer imo.

cookie52

I don't think McCurdy and Ervin will both be on the floor together to start the game. Beverley could/will have one of those positions filled, with McCurdy/Ervin manning the other.

idochog

I agree McCurdy and Ervin will sub in/out for each other

Beverly/Walsh might be the other. 

I also could see Weems at the 2 guard spot.

What do you think of this:

Weems
Ervin
Thomas
Hill
Townes.

That would be a hellacious rebounding team.
I love Jesus!

Modsquad24

yeah you may be right, I was just thinking at the beggining of the season it may be best to have two guards that have some college experience playing the majority of the minutes, because it may take the other two guards(Beverley and Welsh) awhile to get adjusted to the college game. I think it would be to our advantage to have two guys like Ervin and McCurdy that can handle the rock well on the floor together, probably get alot more penetration and kick outs for open looks.

Richard_white

Quote from: idochog on June 25, 2006, 03:20:39 pm

Weems
Ervin
Thomas
Hill
Townes.

A great lineup for a Big 10 school.

Modsquad24

mbgrulz

if weems doesnt turn out, we're doomed. i think he will, but if not, look out. beverley will also have to come in a play big early. if those two pieces fall into place and townes comes around like he should were in business. bama and LSU will be tough to beat out, but i think we can do it with some luck.

mbgrulz

Quote from: Modsquad24 on June 25, 2006, 03:21:04 pm
yeah you may be right, I was just thinking at the beggining of the season it may be best to have two guards that have some college experience playing the majority of the minutes, because it may take the other two guards(Beverley and Welsh) awhile to get adjusted to the college game. I think it would be to our advantage to have two guys like Ervin and McCurdy that can handle the rock well on the floor together, probably get alot more penetration and kick outs for open looks.
i dont agree, throw em in and let go toe to toe. practice doesnt do jack for game experience. learn early so that they are veterans by seasons end.

Richard_white

Quote from: Modsquad24 on June 25, 2006, 03:45:41 pm
Big10, SEC, ACC, BIG XII, or whoever.

I said Big 10 because with all that size.  SEC and Big 10 are different style of play.  SEC is more up and down, while Big 10 are mainly big guys in the paint.

Modsquad24

one thing that should definetly get better is our 3 point shooting, this team actually has shooters on it and McCurdy was here last year but never got any chance to get in rythmn but I expect him to have a good year along with Beverley the trifecta should again be a weapon with the hogs.

Zen_Hog

PG-Ervin/Mccurdy
SG-Beverly
SF-Weems/Thomas
PF-Townes
C-Hill

The PG and SF spots are toss ups in my opinion.

mbgrulz

if we have to play thomas at the 3 very much, we're f'd. i know he's a fan favorite, but he just doesnt have the ability to guard the quick outside players. he'll get left behind.

Bacon The Saddle Again

I thought Washington was going to qualify and could play the 3/4?

I guess I just figured Washington would start because of the hype.  Thought it might look like this:

PG  Ervin
SG  Beverly
SF  Washington
PF  Thomas/Townes
C   Hill

stronguard

PG Earvin
SG Beverly
SF Weems
PF Thomas
C   Hill

2nd Team
PG McCurdy
SG Welsh
SF Hunter
PF McGowan
C  Townes
If you don't know, now you know.

Chief Idiot of the Tavern

"Woke" is a term made up by people who have appointed themselves as intellectually superior as a way to describe themselves in comparison with those whom they deem ignorant.

hogfan13

PG-Ervin
SG-Beverly
SF-Weems
PF-Townes
C-Hill

Head Coach- Stan "Heath Bar" Heath

Arazorbackguy1

The thing I notice the most about this team is no seniors!!!!    We should be darn good after a year of playing together!  Don't get me wrong, I think we will be good this year, but can you imagine the year after that?
I have 10 to 12 points to make per game.

idochog

Looking back on it, it was a real smart move getting Ervin here w/ Ronnie Brewer going pro.

I love Jesus!

Conway Cool Daddy

I have a hard time believing Darian Townes would not be a starter.
I almost would rather see Hill come off the bench until he learns how to score and rebound.

SupaCrawf

Quote from: mbgrulz on June 25, 2006, 10:46:41 pm
if we have to play thomas at the 3 very much, we're f'd. i know he's a fan favorite, but he just doesnt have the ability to guard the quick outside players. he'll get left behind.
Guard them?  Screw that, the Manimal will draw the charge!!!
I'm kind of a big deal.

dishhog10

Alot of talent + Stan heath as coach = a sorry basketball team that will not live up to potential.
Lets band together and back BP

EastMemphisHog

Here is what I hope will be the starting lineup:

PG: Ervin
SG: Beverly
WING(SF): Weems
PF: Thomas
C: Townes

Here is what I think the starting lineup will be:

SG: Weems
SF: Hunter
PF: Townes
C: Hill

EastMemphisHog

Quote from: Modsquad24 on June 25, 2006, 03:09:03 pm
I know it's early but I'm hyped for this coming season with all the talent on the roster and a team that I think can go farther in the NCAA Tournament believe it or not.

Here's my predicted starting lineup to start the season:

Gary Ervin 5-11 Junior Guard
Sean McCurdy 6-1 Sophomore Guard
Sonny Weems 6-6 Junior Forward
Charles Thomas 6-8 Junior Forward
Steven Hill 7-0 Junior Center

I think thats a pretty good starting 5 that can score, rebound and defend with the best in the sec, here's a look at our bench,

Vincent Hunter 6-10 Junior Forward
Darian Townes 6-10 Junior Forward/Center
Cyrus McGowan 6-9 Sophomore Forward
Patrick Beverley 6-2 Freshmen Guard
Stefan Welsh 6-3 Freshmen Guard
Micheal Washington 6-10 Freshmen Forward
Preston Cranford 6-7 Junior Guard

fresh faces or not this team has the potential to be really good I think, there's alot of talent on the roster and if we get to clicking by March this team could play themselves deeper into the tourney despite the loss of Ferguson, Modica and Brewer imo.

I don't see any way that McCurdy could start at the 2. In today's game, he's too short, not quick enough off of the dribble, can't take it to the hole, doesn't make cuts, hasn't proven he can hit from the outside(even though we all know he can), and doesn't have the D to match up with opposing SG's. If Beverly(or Welsh) can fit in, he should have the spot. If not, Heath will have to put Weems at that spot and fill in the 3 with either Hunter or Thomas. I sure hope that Weems can stay at the 3 position, because our offensive attack could be deadly.

mbgrulz

Quote from: SupaCrawf on June 26, 2006, 07:45:04 am
Quote from: mbgrulz on June 25, 2006, 10:46:41 pm
Guard them?  Screw that, the Manimal will draw the charge!!!
wow, never saw this comment coming.

BirminghamBill

I agree with Cool Daddy and cshivley.  I really hope this will be Townes breakout year.  He would be a great starter with a little more polishing. +1 to both of you.

silvertip

Quote from: Conway Cool Daddy on June 26, 2006, 07:42:18 am
I almost would rather see Hill come off the bench until he learns how to score and rebound.

As far as Hill's rebounding, I think you have to balance that with his shot blocking/intimidation. Typically, going for the block takes him out of postion for rebounding.

I think his 4 blocks/game & at least that many altered shots are more important than rebounds. Let Thomas, Townes, Hunter, McGowan hit the boards & keep Steven as the intimidator.

I look for Hunter to play a lot if he can stay healthy. He is a good rebounder & scorer, active under the boards. Strength is just one part of rebounding. Think Nikki Davis.

oldfart

rebounding is a lot of "Want to"...... there is an old statement that I am sure that is true, that 90% of rebounds are taken below the rim.. its a question of establishing position, blocking out, and wanting it more than the next guy

Quote from: silvertip on June 26, 2006, 06:44:06 pm

As far as Hill's rebounding, I think you have to balance that with his shot blocking/intimidation. Typically, going for the block takes him out of postion for rebounding.

I think his 4 blocks/game & at least that many altered shots are more important than rebounds. Let Thomas, Townes, Hunter, McGowan hit the boards & keep Steven as the intimidator.

I look for Hunter to play a lot if he can stay healthy. He is a good rebounder & scorer, active under the boards. Strength is just one part of rebounding. Think Nikki Davis.

Pignominious

Quote from: oldfart on June 26, 2006, 07:33:35 pm
rebounding is a lot of "Want to"...... there is an old statement that I am sure that is true, that 90% of rebounds are taken below the rim.. its a question of establishing position, blocking out, and wanting it more than the next guy

That's true.  I really don't think Hill is ever going to average over 6-7 boards per game.  If he could ever get to the point where he could average that then he would be a huge help, but I have a hard time believing he will.
Ray Biggers' third cousin.

nwarazfan

Quote from: Richard_white on June 25, 2006, 03:23:39 pm

Weems
Ervin
Thomas
Hill
Townes.

Big 10 about 10-20 years ago.  Ill, Minn, Oh St, and Mich St have gone to the F4 in the last 10 seasons with guard play.  What was the last dominant Big 10 frontcourt?  Ill and Mich St still use a formula of good guards and athletic 2/3s.  That lineup above sounds like LSU.

Sorry, go back to stereotyping.

Pignominious

Quote from: nwarazfan on June 26, 2006, 11:06:39 pm
Quote from: Richard_white on June 25, 2006, 03:23:39 pm

Weems
Ervin
Thomas
Hill
Townes.

Big 10 about 10-20 years ago.  Ill, Minn, Oh St, and Mich St have gone to the F4 in the last 10 seasons with guard play.  What was the last dominant Big 10 frontcourt?  Ill and Mich St still use a formula of good guards and athletic 2/3s.  That lineup above sounds like LSU.

Sorry, go back to stereotyping.

While we're on the subject of LSU didn't they go the F4 with a line up of forwards? 

Smithian

PG - Gary Ervin = I would like a good passing guy with Ferguson's shooting.
SG - Sean McCurdy = Sean and Gary both have the ability to spread the floor and open things up for eachother as ball handlers.
SF - Sonny Weems = If he meets half the hype and can nail a three, were good to go.
PF - Darian Townes = I really think if he played to his potential and learned to go up strong, then we could have an All-SEC player at the least. Either way, he is our best offensive big man and we're going to need a ton of offense to replace Brewer, Pookie, and Ferguson.
C  - Steven Hill = The big man on defense. If he could even improve his offense enough to receive the ball in the post and dribble a couple times, we'd be better on offense. Sorry to say, but he is more than annoying when he sets those phantom screens on noone.

With Hill and Townes down low, we could dominate the post. I really hope that Stan can run the offense through the post. If Stan can coach(Which I have confidence in, believe it or not.), we might be able to meet our win total from last year. Hopefully the new coaching addition to staff can help Stan make this a good team.

stronguard

Townes should not start until he shows some scrote!  He is soft, he would fit in nicely with Bev and her team. 

Hill on the other hand is a defensive NIGHTMARE for other teams.  He brings a presence to the lane AND he is one hell of a passer from the high post, something that Townes will never do.

I was a big fan of DT his FR year, but looking back we thought he was a really good player because we hadn't seen a 6'10 guy with a few offensive moves since Darnell Robinson.  We were giddy, but now the reality sets in that Townes is a 1 trick pony.  Scoring, and if he is off (about 1/2 the time) he is as worthless as his coach STANLEY.
If you don't know, now you know.

Chief Idiot of the Tavern

"Woke" is a term made up by people who have appointed themselves as intellectually superior as a way to describe themselves in comparison with those whom they deem ignorant.

mbgrulz

Hill is a defensive nightmare, and an offensive wet dream for other teams. personally, id like to play a teamful of steven hills. they'd never score, and you'd at least score on a rebound that he was out of place for.

i like hill, but talent wise he is nowhere near townes. we should not write townes off, he had a bad sophomore season, but remember how good he was as a freshman? if we can actually feed him the ball this year, and not settle for 80% jumpshots he will be fine.

they didnt invent the word "sophomore slump" because a lot of people got worse from their freshman year and stayed there. a slump is something you come out of, and i think he will with a bang.

Hollywood_HOGan

Quote from: mbgrulz on July 03, 2006, 12:11:04 am
Hill is a defensive nightmare, and an offensive wet dream for other teams. personally, id like to play a teamful of steven hills. they'd never score, and you'd at least score on a rebound that he was out of place for.

i like hill, but talent wise he is nowhere near townes. we should not write townes off, he had a bad sophomore season, but remember how good he was as a freshman? if we can actually feed him the ball this year, and not settle for 80% jumpshots he will be fine.

they didnt invent the word "sophomore slump" because a lot of people got worse from their freshman year and stayed there. a slump is something you come out of, and i think he will with a bang.

If DT would quit all the pouting and whining, he might be a good player. Last year he was weak!

Until he proves he will go b*lls out every game like the Manimal, he probably should come off the bench.

McCurdy is going to be good but not athletic enough to start at the 2.

Mine:
1) Ervin w/Sean coming in off the bench
2) Beverly
3) Weems
4) Charles Thomas
5) Steven Hill

brooks74

I just hope he doesn't do to Beverly what he did with McCurdy this past season.  McCurdy could have been a huge help down the stretch if he would have gotten some PT  early and gotten adjusted better.  Just my opinion!

Hollywood_HOGan

Quote from: brooks74 on July 03, 2006, 10:17:19 am
I just hope he doesn't do to Beverly what he did with McCurdy this past season.  McCurdy could have been a huge help down the stretch if he would have gotten some PT  early and gotten adjusted better.  Just my opinion!

Sean most def should have been playing in front of Jefferson. That guy was a TO waiting to happen.

mbgrulz

yeah, but jefferson could sure play defense!

arkjay19

Vincent Hunter doesn't want to bang around inside and adds some shooting and decent defense so he should be the starting SF that will give the Hogs great rebounding:

PG Gary Ervin - SEC experience, athletic and smart.
SG Sonny Weems - athletic, only one on this team that can some what do what Ronnie Brewer did.
SF Vincent Hunter -  has quick enough feet to make trying to get a shot off hell for the opposing SF.
PF Charles Thomas - hardest working player left on the team, should step up as leader.
C Steven Hill - still the standout big man, if he develops offensive and rebounding confidence, watch out.

and just to prove that Arkansas can go two deep:

PG Sean McCurdy - decent shooter and makes few bad decisions.
SG Patrick Beverley - hopefully has the shooting touch Arkansas needs to balance the floor.
SF Michael Washington - big, athletic and can shoot, there's a reason dozens of colleges were after him.
PF Cyrus McGowan - big time recruit, just needs the chance to break out.
C Darian Townes - needs to become the post presence he believes himself to be, has shown flashes.

Pignominious

Quote from: arkhog9 on July 03, 2006, 10:46:50 pm
Vincent Hunter doesn't want to bang around inside and adds some shooting and decent defense so he should be the starting SF that will give the Hogs great rebounding:

SG Sonny Weems - athletic, only one on this team that can some what do what Ronnie Brewer did.
SF Vincent Hunter -  has quick enough feet to make trying to get a shot off hell for the opposing SF.
PF Charles Thomas - hardest working player left on the team, should step up as leader.
C Steven Hill - still the standout big man, if he develops offensive and rebounding confidence, watch out.

SG Patrick Beverley - hopefully has the shooting touch Arkansas needs to balance the floor.
SF Michael Washington - big, athletic and can shoot, there's a reason dozens of colleges were after him.
C Darian Townes - needs to become the post presence he believes himself to be, has shown flashes.

Vince isn't a SF.  He is a PF with a decent touch from outside.

arkjay19

Last year he was in with Thomas, Hill, Brewer, and Modica when they were pressing.  He doesn't bang around as much as the other big guys.  He will add a lot to press and zone defense.  That's just the starting lineup, doesn't mean it would have to be the whole game.

HotRodHog

1) Ervin
2) Beverly
3) Townes/Weems
4) Charles Thomas
5) Steven Hill
"Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
- Napoleon Bonaparte

"When I played pro football, I never set out to hurt anyone deliberately - unless it was, you know, important, like a league game or something" Dick Butkus

UofA Alumnus

hogface_12

PG: Gary Ervin
SG:Sean McCurdy
SF: Sonny Weems
PF: Cyrus McGowen/Townes
C: Steven Hill

mbgrulz

Quote from: arkhog9 on July 03, 2006, 11:04:40 pm
Last year he was in with Thomas, Hill, Brewer, and Modica when they were pressing.  He doesn't bang around as much as the other big guys.  He will add a lot to press and zone defense.  That's just the starting lineup, doesn't mean it would have to be the whole game.
IMO, thats the starting lineup, doesnt mean he wont be on the bench the WHOLE game. if it comes down to starting vince hunter, i'm just gonna start watching golf or something like that.

stan is not gonna press this year, i dont care what you think. we have an even less press ready team than last year. and if that is the case that means more half court sets, and that means hunter is worthless on D, and barely shows a pulse on offense.

Quote from: arkhog9 on July 03, 2006, 10:46:50 pm

SF Vincent Hunter -  has quick enough feet to make trying to get a shot off hell for the opposing SF.

prepare to be eaten alive with this lineup.

the big lineups sound so good on paper. you look and you have 3 seven footers on the floor at the same time, must be good right? well, its good as long as the D always lets your PG handle the ball, and the D always lets your guys shoot without having to create.

in most cases, you need at least 2 and most times 3 guys who are in essence guards. weems could play the 2, but if you put beverley or another small guy in, your ball handling goes up, turnovers go down, and your perimeter defense becomes a lot more able to contain their men. that means our bigs stay outta foul trouble and so on.

if i was playing basketball on PS2, you better believe i'd have 4 or 5 seven footers out there, but if i were playing real humans i'd use more guards.

Aftershave

July 04, 2006, 12:04:44 pm #42 Last Edit: July 04, 2006, 12:06:43 pm by Aftershave
Ervin - PG
Beverly - SG
Weems -F
Townes/ Thomas -F
Hill -C

I'm not sold on McCurdy yet. Haven't seen him play enough. Might hurt us too much on defense.
"Keep your feet tight & stay in the saddle"

"It may or may not be a first down" - The Late Great Bud Campbell

hogsmaster

Most fans are down on Townes after this past season, but remember that he injured his knee before the first game.  He played through it and had surgery after the season.  Because of the injury, he lost his explosiveness from his freshman season.  That's probably why most think he is not an aggressive player.  I look for better things this season from him, but you still got to play Thomas just as much because he does a lot of dirty works (rebounds, defense, taking charges).  Just wish Thomas was a couple inches bigger.  Hill is an eraser.  He will allow our guards to over-play on the perimeter. 

You can have both Ervin and McCurdy in for sporadic stretches, but you can't start or play them for long periods because of their defense of liabilities (both are only  about 6 feet and not big jumpers).  That is why you can start Beverly.  Although he is only 6-2 or 6-3, he has long arms and plays bigger than his size; he will only play lots of minutes if he can hit the three's consistently, which I think he can, because Ervin is a penetrator and not a shooter and Weems has more of a mid-range and slashing game.  So we have to get the long ball out of the SG position.

SG: Beverly
          SF: Weems
          PF: Townes/Thomas
           C:  Hill

McCurdy and Welsh will help spell the perimeter players and Hunter, Cyrus Mac and Washington helping out inside.

Think we should have a good season.  Just hope they jell early in the season.

mbgrulz

the great thing is that we will have a wide open race on the 2 big man spots. i know a lot of us have written in a combo of townes, thomas, and hill as law, but lets not forget that mike washington and cyrus mcgowan are studs. they may come in and if nothing else, make the 3 juniors work their asses off to keep their spots.

i was really high on mcgowan last year. he had tons of energy, length, and above all looked a little pissed out there. washington is an unknown, but all reports are that he is as good as advertised.

as long as stan leaves the door open for a new guy to steal a spot, i think it is very possible. whatever the case, i just want them all to get a chance early if nothing else.

claycohog

I'm sorry, but I can't see us being very good at all.  Look for us to be a very boring team to watch and for us to have big time trouble putting points on the board against a decent team.  Heath and Co. are probably doomed.

Extra Point

Townes is going to have to learn to work hard in order to break the starting lineup on this team.  Even in pickup games recently, he does not go full steam every play.  He can be great, or a liability.

Beverley is a super shooter.  I like the way he looks with the team so far.

Ervin and McCurdy both look good.  Both very vocal and like to push tempo.

Extra Point

Quote from: claycohog on July 05, 2006, 11:53:41 am
I'm sorry, but I can't see us being very good at all.  Look for us to be a very boring team to watch and for us to have big time trouble putting points on the board against a decent team.  Heath and Co. are probably doomed.

Spoken like a champ there pad'ner.

Tell me...how many times have you seen this team play this summer?

You, my friend, need to see a professional.

Extra Point

Quote from: Aftershave on July 04, 2006, 12:04:44 pm
Ervin - PG
Beverly - SG
Weems -F
Townes/ Thomas -F
Hill -C

I'm not sold on McCurdy yet. Haven't seen him play enough. Might hurt us too much on defense.

McCurdy is looking much better in pickup games this summer.  He has his shot dropping, is a vocal leader, likes to push tempo, has GREAT floor vision and has been playing a great all around game.

But you will rarely see Ervin and McCurdy on the floor at the same time except in certain game situations.  I'm not sure why so many here list both in the same lineup.

Extra Point

Quote from: hogsmaster on July 04, 2006, 12:40:29 pm
Most fans are down on Townes after this past season, but remember that he injured his knee before the first game.  He played through it and had surgery after the season.  Because of the injury, he lost his explosiveness from his freshman season.  That's probably why most think he is not an aggressive player.

Darian's biggest problem will be conditioning compared to his teammates (that's obvious right now) and his desire to take possessions off.  Physical challenges have never been his biggest problem.  It's developing an attitude of outworking others.  It's still not quite there this summer.