Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Let's be honest, now...

Started by Oklahawg, March 17, 2006, 01:52:16 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Oklahawg

This loss was the result of piss pour coaching by our NAIA-caliber coach.

Good coaches preach "little" things like free throw shooting. If we are half as good as we think we'd have better results from the line. This alone cost us today.

Good coaches find solutions. Bucknell was gasping for air a couple of different times. A logical time to press. A logical time to drop the hammer. Not if you are Stan Heath.

There was no clue what to do with a very good defensive team guarding us. Not, at least, if you are even more clueless. The win streak that gave us false hope was built by letting the players play. They were tentative and unimaginative.

Good coaches (hell, bad coaches) know enough to get plays for your playmakers. Where were the calls for Ronnie or Modica?

Send this homer packing for Kutztown State. I will not watch, listen, or in any way support his lame attempts at division one basketball.

Too bad. I love the players he's collected. I love my Hogs. I can't endure the pain any longer.

And, no, I NEVER got this down on Houston Nutt. Yes, I was ready for HDN to go for a while last fall. But, he managed to figure it out. Maybe have it figured out for him. Lucky? Maybe. Fortunate? Certainly. Smart? Smarter than Heath.

Maybe Mrs. Heath wants out of town so bad he'll take a step backward in his career to appease her. It would allow me to be a basketball fan once again.

Congrats to the players for working hard and coming together to go dancing. Sorry you are coached by an idiot.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

Oklahawg

Bucknell hit 3-pointers like crazy. Kudos. They kept us out of our game. Tip of the hat. Good teams have the breaks turn their direction, and they did for Bucknell. We were beat by a better team, not necessarily a better collection of players. And, we were severely out-coached. Painfully out-coached.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

BossHog13

Quote from: Oklahawg on March 17, 2006, 01:52:16 pm
This loss was the result of piss pour coaching by our NAIA-caliber coach.

Good coaches preach "little" things like free throw shooting. If we are half as good as we think we'd have better results from the line. This alone cost us today.

Good coaches find solutions. Bucknell was gasping for air a couple of different times. A logical time to press. A logical time to drop the hammer. Not if you are Stan Heath.

There was no clue what to do with a very good defensive team guarding us. Not, at least, if you are even more clueless. The win streak that gave us false hope was built by letting the players play. They were tentative and unimaginative.

Good coaches (hell, bad coaches) know enough to get plays for your playmakers. Where were the calls for Ronnie or Modica?

Send this homer packing for Kutztown State. I will not watch, listen, or in any way support his lame attempts at division one basketball.

Too bad. I love the players he's collected. I love my Hogs. I can't endure the pain any longer.

And, no, I NEVER got this down on Houston Nutt. Yes, I was ready for HDN to go for a while last fall. But, he managed to figure it out. Maybe have it figured out for him. Lucky? Maybe. Fortunate? Certainly. Smart? Smarter than Heath.

Maybe Mrs. Heath wants out of town so bad he'll take a step backward in his career to appease her. It would allow me to be a basketball fan once again.

Congrats to the players for working hard and coming together to go dancing. Sorry you are coached by an idiot.

My thoughts exactly!!!

Niels Boar

Bucknell was struggling to get the ball past halfcourt whenever we pressed.  They turned it over copiously in halfcourt also.  It looked like we could have pressed them into oblivion.  They couldn't convert on fastbreak opportunities either.  Heath's lack of faith in trapping cost us games against MSU, LSU, and now Bucknell.

Salvaboar Dali

The last thing we need is to restart a rebuilding process with ANOTHER new coach.

Stop.  Think!

SultanofSwine

Yeah what we need is more inept coaching. I am suprised we haven't gotten rid of Van Horn and McDonnell, I mean why the hell would you want a coach that actually prepares thier team to face a specific opponent?

Kevin

i don't think you are rebuilding with a new coach. i bet tennessee fans are glad they didn't use that logic.  they are probably happy with pearl over peterson.  plus, the players are here to get it done with a little bench help (coaching)
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

razorbackfan4life

If we brought in a GOOD COACH like we should of in the beginning, it wouldn't be a rebuilding process.  Look at North Carolina, all Freshman and they would kill our team!  I cannot stand these fans that accept mediocrity now.  Can't you all see that we are a terribly ran team?  Look at our offense....I've seen high school teams run a better offense than that.

Michaelt

Quote from: Oklahawg on March 17, 2006, 01:52:16 pm
I will not watch, listen, or in any way support his lame attempts at division one basketball.

I've always loved reading this lame statement, whether it's football, basketball, etc.

If everyone who made this statement on this and other boards were serious about it and not just blowing smoke, stands would be less than 1/2 full, arenas would be hollow.

I don't know if you folks who make this statement actually believe you're beating your chest and being "the man" or not. It'd be nice if some of you people could take a step back from your own delusions and see just how unintelligable statements like that make you seem.
Hearing God's voice means not listening to the noise of the world around us.

RazorCaddy

Yes, I believe Stan had alot to do with the loss but where the heck was Brewer the entire game. 1 freaking 3 pt attempt against Bucknell which he made and that was it. Plain and simple, we haven't had a leader to step up and win games for us. Sometimes Brewer acts like he is the clutch shooter but he just doesn't have it like Todd Day, Thurman, Mayberry and some others in the past. Even if we would have won this game Memphis would have stomped us, we just don't have a pure shooter.

ledhead830

Quote from: SultanofSwine on March 17, 2006, 02:04:11 pm
Yeah what we need is more inept coaching. I am suprised we haven't gotten rid of Van Horn and McDonnell, I mean why the hell would you want a coach that actually prepares thier team to face a specific opponent?

What does McDonnell do to prepare for the other team?  Aside from seeing which atletes one should trail or not, he only has to worry about his own team.
Walk on through the wind. Walk on through the rain.
Though your dreams be tossed and blown,
Walk on. Walk on with hope in your heart,
And you'll never walk alone. You'll never walk alone.
Walk on. Walk on with hope in your heart,
And you'll never walk alone. You'll never walk alone.

Hawgndaaz

We just got beat by a team you have to GOOGLE to even know what part of the country it is located. Gonzaga is the only exception to this comment.

'nuff said

GrizzledHogFan

March 17, 2006, 03:26:02 pm #12 Last Edit: March 17, 2006, 03:28:55 pm by gmb_79
 >:(
Do not let what you cannot do interfere with what you can do.

BigHog396

March 17, 2006, 03:39:02 pm #13 Last Edit: March 26, 2006, 09:47:59 pm by BigHog396
Quote from: Salvaboar Dali on March 17, 2006, 02:01:55 pm
The last thing we need is to restart a rebuilding process with ANOTHER new coach.

Stop.  Think!
Are you a total moron?  Did you see the rebuilding jobs ACCOMPLISHED by Bill Self and Roy Williams THIS YEAR.  There was not any time required for them to rebuild.  They are playing primarily FRESHMEN, and look what they have done.  It's amazing what a REAL coach can accomplish.  Was there any rebuilding required for us in '93.  We lost Day, Mayberry, Big O and others, and still made the Sweet 16 the next year.  IT SHOULD NOT TAKE 4 YEARS TO REBUILD AT ONE OF THE TOP 10 PROGRAMS IN NCAA HISTORY.

SultanofSwine

You seriously think that McDonnell doesn't coach his distance and cross country guys to be prepared for how other teams are going to run? You don't think they know every tendency the other teams have?

Salvaboar Dali

They did not have to rebuild. Kansas and NC both had MUCH more talent in their FIRST year than Heath enjoyed his first three years at Arkansas.

The Freshmen NC had were MUCH better than those
Quote from: BigHog396 on March 17, 2006, 03:39:02 pm

Stop.  Think!
Are you a total dumb ass?  Did you see the rebuilding jobs ACCOMPLISHED by Bill Self and Roy Williams THIS YEAR.  There was not any time required for them to rebuild.  They are playing primarily FRESHMEN, and look what they have done.  It's amazing what a REAL coach can accomplish.  Was there any rebuilding required for us in '93.  We lost Day, Mayberry, Big O and others, and still made the Sweet 16 the next year.  IT SHOULD NOT TAKE 4 YEARS TO REBUILD AT ONE OF THE TOP 10 PROGRAMS IN NCAA HISTORY.

Salvaboar Dali

March 17, 2006, 03:58:36 pm #16 Last Edit: March 17, 2006, 04:00:18 pm by Salvaboar Dali
Quote from: Salvaboar Dali on March 17, 2006, 03:57:28 pm

Stop.  Think!
Are you a total dumb ass?  Did you see the rebuilding jobs ACCOMPLISHED by Bill Self and Roy Williams THIS YEAR.  There was not any time required for them to rebuild.  They are playing primarily FRESHMEN, and look what they have done.  It's amazing what a REAL coach can accomplish.  Was there any rebuilding required for us in '93.  We lost Day, Mayberry, Big O and others, and still made the Sweet 16 the next year.  IT SHOULD NOT TAKE 4 YEARS TO REBUILD AT ONE OF THE TOP 10 PROGRAMS IN NCAA HISTORY.

Also, we are not one of the top 10 programs all-time. Top 20, but not top 10.

BigHog396

They did not have to rebuild. Kansas and NC both had MUCH more talent in their FIRST year than Heath enjoyed his first three years at Arkansas.

Stop.  Think!
That is part of being a good coach.  Recruiting the good talent... but, Heath has the talent, and simply can't coach it.  We have every bit as much talent as NC or Kansas this year, and we would be looking at 1 or 2 losses right now, WITH OUR CURRENT PLAYERS, if we had either of those coaches.

Salvaboar Dali

Quote from: BigHog396 on March 17, 2006, 04:01:21 pm

Stop.  Think!
That is part of being a good coach.  Recruiting the good talent... but, Heath has the talent, and simply can't coach it.  We have every bit as much talent as NC or Kansas this year, and we would be looking at 1 or 2 losses right now, WITH OUR CURRENT PLAYERS, if we had either of those coaches.

That speculation may be true, but is totally unproveable and unsupportable.

BigHog396

Quote from: Salvaboar Dali on March 17, 2006, 03:58:36 pm

Stop.  Think!

I guess the experts from SI or ESPN, whichever it was, that rated us as the #7 or #8 (I can't remember which one) college basketball program of all time, don't know what they are talking about.  Also, the fact that we are #9 in all-time Final Four appearances doesn't rate us in the top 10 either, does it.

SupaCrawf

Stan is a good coach.  But, it's part of his job to put up with uninformed fans who want him fired after any loss. 
So, Stan, sorry you have to hear this crap all the time, but get used to it buddy.  We'll keep comparing you to other coaches, kicking you when you're down, and blaming you for not being Nolan.  God forbid we inform ourselves and give you credit for the good things you do.  Here at Hogville, players win games, but coaches lose them.
I'm kind of a big deal.

Buff

my thoughts on the game: I heard the final score as soon as I got out of class, and to say the least I was disappointed.  If Stan is the coach next season............ I just don't know.  It doesn't look good.  A team should never shoot as poorly, of for that matter, run an offense as poorly as we do.  I'm not even sure what we do could be considered an offense.  On top of that, we can't defend against 3-point shots.  6 of Bucknell's FGs came inside the arch.  Pathetic.  Props to the players though.  THEY are the reason we got this far anyway.  They have heart, and they won't give up.  I wish all of our seniors well wherever they go.

PS: all of you who were telling me to eat crow when Arkansas hit its hot streak can kiss my..........(static)

BigHog396

Quote from: FLKeysGuy on March 17, 2006, 04:14:44 pm
[Also, we are not one of the top 10 programs all-time.

True.  But neither is Tennessee.
We ARE one of the TOP 10 basketball programs of all time.  Final Four appearances, experts opinions, whatever you want to base it on, we ARE one of the TOP 10.  That is what makes this so freakin' aggravating.

HOGLUVIN

we are absolutely one of the Top 5 programs of the 90's .... only trouble is ...that was 15 farging years ago.

BigHog396

Quote from: SupaCrawf on March 17, 2006, 04:06:59 pm
Stan is a good coach.  But, it's part of his job to put up with uninformed fans who want him fired after any loss. 
So, Stan, sorry you have to hear this crap all the time, but get used to it buddy.  We'll keep comparing you to other coaches, kicking you when you're down, and blaming you for not being Nolan.  God forbid we inform ourselves and give you credit for the good things you do.  Here at Hogville, players win games, but coaches lose them.
And what are you basing the "uninformed" comment on?  There are many very informed fans on this board that simply don't want to keep hearing "wait 'till next year".  A good coach doesn't have to rebuild at a program with the name of ARKANSAS.  A good coach uses the history of the program, the facilities that are second to none, and his recruiting ability to get players here that produce from the time they step on campus.

Salvaboar Dali

Quote from: BigHog396 on March 17, 2006, 04:04:28 pm

Stop.  Think!

I guess the experts from SI or ESPN, whichever it was, that rated us as the #7 or #8 (I can't remember which one) college basketball program of all time, don't know what they are talking about.  Also, the fact that we are #9 in all-time Final Four appearances doesn't rate us in the top 10 either, does it.

Yep. I would say they missed some superior programs. History-wise I would not rank the UA above...

Duke
Indiana
Arizona
UCLA
North Carolina
Kentucky
Kansas
Louisville
North Carolina State
Cincinatti
Oklahoma State
Michigan State

Furthermore, the following teams have a slightly stronger history than the UA, IMO

Syracuse
Georgetown

These teams are comperable when judging the overall success of our team:

Georgia Tech
Stanford
UCON
Maryland

The truth is, when Nolan was at his peak, we were a top-5 program. When Eddie was coach, we were a top-25 program. Take those two out and we are not even on the historical radar. We have as much right to be called an all-time "Top-10" program as UCONN, UTEP, LaSalle, Villanova, or any other 1-time National Basketball Champion.

tbhogfan

Just to put things into perspective: 

Bucknell charges $40,000 per year in tuition. 
Bucknell only started offering athletic scholarships in 2003.

So the seniors you saw on the floor for them today were recruited to come there as basically invited walkons.  These guys beat KU last year and Arkansas this year, so their coach is doing an incredible job.   

I really wish that the Hogs had pressed early and often to get the tempo up, but they chose to play into Bucknell's hands.
Go Hogs!

Salvaboar Dali

Quote from: tbhogfan on March 17, 2006, 04:31:18 pm
Just to put things into perspective: 

Bucknell charges $40,000 per year in tuition. 
Bucknell only started offering athletic scholarships in 2003.

So the seniors you saw on the floor for them today were recruited to come there as basically invited walkons.  These guys beat KU last year and Arkansas this year, so their coach is doing an incredible job.  

I really wish that the Hogs had pressed early and often to get the tempo up, but they chose to play into Bucknell's hands.

So, Bill Self and Heath are bad coaches because they lost to Bucknell in the Tourney?

SultanofSwine

One for sure is and I am not completely impressed with Self.

Salvaboar Dali

Quote from: SultanofSwine on March 17, 2006, 04:35:27 pm
One for sure is and I am not completely impressed with Self.

Well, bith are better than Pittino, using your criteria. Pittino didn't even make the tourney.

SupaCrawf

Quote from: BigHog396 on March 17, 2006, 04:22:46 pm
And what are you basing the "uninformed" comment on?  There are many very informed fans on this board that simply don't want to keep hearing "wait 'till next year".  A good coach doesn't have to rebuild at a program with the name of ARKANSAS.  A good coach uses the history of the program, the facilities that are second to none, and his recruiting ability to get players here that produce from the time they step on campus.
Fact:  Stan has improved our record and performance each game.

Fact:  When we went to a Box and 1 (I don't recall the game), and it worked and the announcers picked up on it, it became the cure all for any team scoring on us, and posters reamed Stan for not playing it.  I doubt most could describe it in detail

Fact:  Someone has started a fire Heath thread, or thrown it in another thread, after every loss.

Fact:  I have heard many lament that Stan can't coach, Stan doesn't call plays.  While they were posting, I saw a set play being run.  Conclusion:  Some people don't know a set play when they see one.  Further, they have no idea what a motion offense is, or how it works.

I'm not a Heath Hugger, things could have and should have been better this year.  But, come on, you're making the claim that no one gets on here and dumps on Stan for things that weren't his fault????  We are perfect, and he is to blame for everything??? Get real man.
I'm kind of a big deal.

Salvaboar Dali

Quote from: FLKeysGuy on March 17, 2006, 04:37:46 pm
Quote from: Salvaboar Dali on March 17, 2006, 04:33:31 pm
So, Bill Self and Heath are bad coaches because they lost to Bucknell in the Tourney?

Hmmm... interesting thought, but I'd argue that if Heath were a better coach, we would have won some of those close games this season, and we wouldn't have had to play Bucknell in the 8 vs 9 matchup, would we?

True. However, you can't MAKE a shooter attend the UA. Jefferson was suppose to be a better shooter than he proved to be. The fact is that Heath did about everything he could in this game - and so did the players. Yes, we had poor FT shooting, but our rebounding, steals, and blocked shots made up for that and more. If Bucknell had their average game, we win. Pure and simple. You can't outcoach luck. Ask Georgetown in when they lost to NC State in the NCAA Torney.

HOGLUVIN

Fact:  When we went to a Box and 1 (I don't recall the game), and it worked and the announcers picked up on it, it became the cure all for any team scoring on us, and posters reamed Stan for not playing it.  I doubt most could describe it in detail

Tenn.

clemensrules01

Street & Smith's Top 10 of Top 100 College Basketball College Programs
1 University of Kentucky Wildcats
2 University of California Los Angeles (UCLA) Bruins
3 University of North Carolina Tar Heels
4 University of Kansas Jayhawks
5 Duke University Blue Devils
6 Indiana University Hoosiers
7 University of Louisville Cardinals
8 Universtiy of Arkansas Razorbacks
9 Universtiy of Connecticut (UConn)
10 Universtiy of Cincinnati Bearcats

HOGLUVIN

Quote from: clemensrules01 on March 17, 2006, 04:49:54 pm

article dated 1974

Salvaboar Dali

Quote from: FLKeysGuy on March 17, 2006, 04:46:49 pm
Quote from: Salvaboar Dali on March 17, 2006, 04:43:51 pm

Hmmm... interesting thought, but I'd argue that if Heath were a better coach, we would have won some of those close games this season, and we wouldn't have had to play Bucknell in the 8 vs 9 matchup, would we?

True. However, you can't MAKE a shooter attend the UA. Jefferson was suppose to be a better shooter than he proved to be. The fact is that Heath did about everything he could in this game - and so did the players. Yes, we had poor FT shooting, but our rebounding, steals, and blocked shots made up for that and more. If Bucknell had their average game, we win. Pure and simple. You can't outcoach luck. Ask Georgetown in when they lost to NC State in the NCAA Torney.
Then maybe you can answer my question from earlier...
http://www.hogville.net/yabbse/index.php/topic,52828.msg615487.html#msg615487

If you mean the "press" question, I think it is because we were afraid it would not work. The press is a double-edged sword and we could have easily fallen out with a few open shots if the press did not work.

My only criticism is that we should have pounded them all day in the blocks and gotten some of their guys in foul trouble. With luck, maybe we could have gotten two or four more rebounds which could have swung the game.

However, back to the point. All thiongs being equal, if we hit our AVERAGE percentage of 3's, and Bucknell did as well, we would have run away with this game. You can't coach a lucky day.

clemensrules01

Quote from: HOGLUVIN on March 17, 2006, 04:51:04 pm

article dated 1974
"On Tuesday, January 25, 2005, the 100 greatest college basketball programs of all time were announced in a special issue of Street & Smith's magazine.

Street & Smith's magazine used 15 categories to determine the top 100, including NCAA and NIT appearances and wins, conference championships and tournament championships, graduation rates, all-time winning percentages, and NBA first-round draft picks."

http://athensohio.net/sports/basketball/100-greatest/

not quite 1974.

Salvaboar Dali

March 17, 2006, 04:55:44 pm #37 Last Edit: March 17, 2006, 04:57:43 pm by Salvaboar Dali
Quote from: HOGLUVIN on March 17, 2006, 04:51:04 pm

article dated 1974

In 1974, if Kentucky was ranked above Kentucky in that article, that article isn't worth the paper it is published upon.

Also, as noted above, that article is from 2005 and is open to several criteria that I would have weighted differently.  Also, take out Nolan years and we are nowhere near that list.

stan the man

When  our opponents hit three's like they did in our last two games we, more than likely will loose every game.  If teams during our winning streak would have done the same we would not have won them either.
The fact that Bucknell worked really hard getting open 3 point shots,they deserved to win.  They certainly worked much harder on offense than we did.  We knew going in they had good 3 point shooters but somehow didn't defend them very well.  The real problem is that we cannot shoot free throws when the chips are down.  I really thought we were going to win when we tied it late.  I hope that Townes gets used to riding the pine because chances are in the future that may be his destiny.  What an underacheiver!

qakhed

We weren't watching this game last year were we? Stan and the WHOLE team got us to this game, it wasn't just Ronnie, it wasn't just Jonathon. I think for the most part, if some of you don't have something to piss and moan about you'd be alcoholics beating your wives. Some of you may even be now.
"If it comes from qak, it's a fact!" -supacrawf

SupaCrawf

Quote from: Salvaboar Dali on March 17, 2006, 04:53:05 pm

If you mean the "press" question, I think it is because we were afraid it would not work. The press is a double-edged sword and we could have easily fallen out with a few open shots if the press did not work.

My only criticism is that we should have pounded them all day in the blocks and gotten some of their guys in foul trouble. With luck, maybe we could have gotten two or four more rebounds which could have swung the game.

However, back to the point. All thiongs being equal, if we hit our AVERAGE percentage of 3's, and Bucknell did as well, we would have run away with this game. You can't coach a lucky day.

All true!  They broke the press for some easy buckets.  I don't recall us getting many turnovers off it, so why keep it up?  We got more t/o's playing half court D and making them throw bad passes.

I agree that we did not utilize our inside game enough, but it's not like we would have made the foul shots anyway...
I'm kind of a big deal.

BigHog396

Quote from: SupaCrawf on March 17, 2006, 04:43:49 pm

Fact:  Someone has started a fire Heath thread, or thrown it in another thread, after every loss.

Fact:  I have heard many lament that Stan can't coach, Stan doesn't call plays.  While they were posting, I saw a set play being run.  Conclusion:  Some people don't know a set play when they see one.  Further, they have no idea what a motion offense is, or how it works.

I'm not a Heath Hugger, things could have and should have been better this year.  But, come on, you're making the claim that no one gets on here and dumps on Stan for things that weren't his fault????  We are perfect, and he is to blame for everything??? Get real man.
No, you made a generalization that anyone "dumping" on Heath was uninformed.  There are many of us on here who know the game of basketball very well, and are simply tired of the excuses.  With a coach the quality of Roy Williams, Rick Pitino, Lute Olson, or a number of others, we WOULD have been in much better shape this far into their coaching tenures.  Yes, it was nice to be back in the dance, but I am fed up with seeing the same mistakes made over and over again.  If you want to say we only have 7-8 players that are good enough to step on the court, and that is the reason we keep seeing these mistakes... fine, that proves my point.  Four years in at Arkansas, the talent level should be good enough that this is not the case.

HOGLUVIN

Roy Williams, Rick Pitino, Lute Olson

3 coaches.... 300 programs...

so move to NC, KY or AZ then you will be happy...

but let me ask you this before last year can you tell me when Roy won a NC... or how many does Lute have? Tubby I believe has one, but has been coaching for a long time and has just the one right.

3 "awesome" coaches not many NC for the amount of NC they have all together and if they coached at AR they would have been run out of this bich on a rail....

BigHog396

March 17, 2006, 05:11:21 pm #43 Last Edit: March 26, 2006, 09:40:42 pm by BigHog396
Quote from: HOGLUVIN on March 17, 2006, 05:00:17 pm
Roy Williams, Rick Pitino, Lute Olson

3 coaches.... 300 programs...

so move to NC, KY or AZ then you will be happy...

but let me ask you this before last year can you tell me when Roy won a NC... or how many does Lute have? Tubby I believe has one, but has been coaching for a long time and has just the one right.

3 "awesome" coaches not many NC for the amount of NC they have all together and if they coached at AR they would have been run out of this bich on a rail....
You are kidding, right?  Do I really need to list EVERY big name coach to satisfy you.  Heck, I would have taken Joe Klein over this guy, at least we know Joe has an incredible understanding of fundamentals.  Heath came in preaching fundamentals (rebounding and defense), and he hasn't shown us EITHER ONE.  I am not asking for a NC tomorrow, I just expect us to be a top 25 team every year.  I also expect the team to show up every game, and the coaching staff to do the same.  This team and staff have shown up for 20-25 minutes every game, and just stood around for the remainder of the game.  It looks like Heath tries to make the team play Big 10 ball for the first 30 minutes of the game, we get down double-digits, and then the players say the heck with this and start playing street ball.  Funny that the street ball ALWAYS got us back in the games, but Heath wasn't smart enough (or maybe he was just too stubborn) to let the team play that style for 40 minutes.

Salvaboar Dali

Quote from: FLKeysGuy on March 17, 2006, 05:01:42 pm
Quote from: Salvaboar Dali on March 17, 2006, 04:53:05 pm

I don't respect a coach who is "afraid" of implementing a strategy.  If the press proved ineffective, the coach could stop the press.  But not to have tried to wear out Bucknell's players earlier in the game by pressing seemed like a major coaching error.  Look at just how effective the press was when it was finally implemented late in the game.  With the exception of Dontell allowing a layup, it was extremely disruptive to them.  If we had done that throughout the first half, Bucknell's 7-man rotation would have been exhausted midway through the second half.  Exhausted players don't hit those "lucky" 3's as frequently.

Afraid? I do not think it was fear at all. Hell, the right time to press is when YOU control the tempo. Teams look for it and are prepared for the press when the other team is behind.

If you respect "implementing strategy" you should have loved heath all year. He hardly ever pressed and stuck with his set defensive strategy.

Salvaboar Dali

Quote from: FLKeysGuy on March 17, 2006, 05:15:57 pm
Quote from: Salvaboar Dali on March 17, 2006, 05:11:41 pm

If you mean the "press" question, I think it is because we were afraid it would not work.

Afraid? I do not think it was fear at all.

"afraid" was your word, not mine.

My bad. I meant that in the context of "did not THINK it would work".

SupaCrawf

Quote from: BigHog396 on March 17, 2006, 04:56:44 pm

No, you made a generalization that anyone "dumping" on Heath was uninformed.  There are many of us on here who know the game of basketball very well, and are simply tired of the excuses.  With a coach the quality of Roy Williams, Rick Pitino, Lute Olson, or a number of others, we WOULD have been in much better shape this far into their coaching tenures.  Yes, it was nice to be back in the dance, but I am fed up with seeing the same mistakes made over and over again.  If you want to say we only have 7-8 players that are good enough to step on the court, and that is the reason we keep seeing these mistakes... fine, that proves my point.  Four years in at Arkansas, the talent level should be good enough that this is not the case.

Now you're making assumptions.  I've never said 'wait untill next year,' or Heath doesn't have the talent.  I've always said that he is a good coach, and I will stick by that until I am proven wrong. 
I'm kind of a big deal.

pfrg999

Stop.  Think!

Like Tennessee rebuilt after Buzz... a Good coach would take this team to the elite 8.....
Musician, Audio Engineer, Entertainment <br />Writer and Hardcore Razorback watching Hog Fan!!!

Kevin n Hog Heaven

It's funny how the same people who just love Nutt so much bash on Heath. Heath is doing just fine. He has improved EVERY year, Nutt has not. This years record was better than last. We made it to the tourney. It is an IMPROVEMENT. He graduates kids, Nolan did not. He didnt walk into this job with a plethora of talent like alot of new coaches do. He had to start from scratch here people. Why such the high standard for Heath yet Nutt can continually suck and always have homers all over his jock? Oh, and in case all you Nutt lovers need to be reminded his BEST year was with Ford's players. He walked in with some pretty decent talent and since then it's been a downward spiral.

pfrg999

Quote from: SupaCrawf on March 17, 2006, 05:19:07 pm
Quote from: BigHog396 on March 17, 2006, 04:56:44 pm

Now you're making assumptions.  I've never said 'wait untill next year,' or Heath doesn't have the talent.  I've always said that he is a good coach, and I will stick by that until I am proven wrong. 

Dude... Uhhhh  You've been proven wrong... have you not watched the games ???
Musician, Audio Engineer, Entertainment <br />Writer and Hardcore Razorback watching Hog Fan!!!