Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Marshall Henderson, all things

Started by jbcarol, January 27, 2013, 06:41:28 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: GreenwayTigerHog on March 27, 2013, 02:25:22 pm
I don't mind the gator chompin and other bravado but it you are going to act like that when things are good expect it thrown back in your lap when things go the other way & sack up when it happens.

Good point. If you dish it out you have to be able to take it also!
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Ray Piggers

I'm basically Darkwing Duck

joeyself

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on March 27, 2013, 01:22:55 pm
Enjoyment of sports is fine. Watching a young adult act like a three year old isn't. Most people would think he needs to grow up.

Exactly.

JcS
"Real failure always starts with someone doing something stupid."  Anna Conroy in SLINGS AND ARROWS

jbcarol

Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

Henderson's open letter to Ole Miss fans:

I play the game with a lot of passion, and sometimes that passion boils over. I take responsibility for my actions this season and apologize to anyone I offended. However, my edge on the court has made me the player that I am. I can't change that, but I do understand that I can take things too far.

I have come to understand this year that I represent this team and this university, and I have to hold myself to a higher standard than people in the stands, because I am a student-athlete at Ole Miss.
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

...he became the most polarizing player in college hoops thanks to his on-court antics, his habits off the floor and his past run-ins with the law.

Quote"People come and attack me, and I don't even care," Henderson said. "I know it's going to happen and I can't control what people say."

And to hear Henderson and his coach Andy Kennedy tell it, he can't control how he reacts to those taunts, either, because it's the chip on Henderson's shoulder — the motivation and determination that he derives from getting jeered — that makes him such a competitor. Henderson isn't a showboat as much as he is passionately competitive to a fault, they say, and that taking that mentally away from him would cripple him as a player.

Some of that is coach-speak...

jbcarol

Parrish: Marshall Henderson's reputation had kind of preceded him. Did you see the internet clip from the Auburn game

QuoteHis actions last season overshadowed the fact that he was really a good teammate. Henderson craves the spotlight, no doubt, but he's quick to draw his teammates into the light with him. It's not that he'll step out of the light, but he invites them in, as he did with his comments about Murphy Holloway after the SEC tourney title game. He's quick with a chest bump and other encouragement for his teammates during games.

The sweat wasn't dry in the Ole Miss locker room in Kansas City before Henderson spoke of being a leader his senior season.

Ole Miss coach Andy Kennedy says this summer that Henderson – in Washington, D.C., over the weekend for the Kevin Durant Skills Camp – is putting in the work and doing everything you want from a senior.

For now, those are just words. Henderson's bad boy image was displayed for so long it will take more than one visual example for people to buy into his leadership role...

Ole Miss beat writer Parrish Alford thinks having a teammate step into a key leadership role would be a big help for Henderson, and maintain some level of entertainment value.

jbcarol

Erin Andrews        ✔ @ErinAndrews

He mocking anyone now? RT @GaryParrishCBS: Marshall Henderson's suspension is related to a failed drug test, a source told @CBSSports.

marshall henderson ‏@NativeFlash22 3h
@ErinAndrews ima save that and you will be the first person ill mock 🙀

Henderson also appeared to laugh off the whole incident in a since-deleted video posted to Instagram by Ole Miss linebacker Denzel Nkemdiche.

Said Nkemdiche in the clip: "Public announcement: Free my brother Marshall. So what are your thoughts about today?"

Henderson responded, "Sad as hell," before flashing a devilish smile.

jbcarol

More back and forth

Denzel Nkemdiche @denzelnkemdiche

Haha there was no video posted today what is everybody talking about, I think my twitter may have been hacked??? Hahahahhaha😂😂😂...

Alex Parrish @alex_parrish14

Marshall Henderson dissed Erin Andrews. You don't diss Erin Andrews. Proof that he is as classless as he is ugly and arrogant.

Alex Parrish @alex_parrish14
for everyone to whom much is given, from him much will be required Luke 12:48

Khalil Springs @khalil_springs

@erinandrews needs to get off marshall henderson. The kid made a mistake. I bet you made a lot of mistakes, like becoming a reporter

Khalil Springs @khalil_springs
Weddington Football #20 Safety Pride #DBSWAG Class of 16

jbcarol

jbcarol

Parrish: The day so many predicted for Marshall Henderson has arrived

A source said a stint in a rehabilitation facility is possible. So now it's impossible for anybody to laugh at Henderson's antics and defend his sometimes outlandish behavior because none of it is funny anymore. He has embarrassed himself, his coaches and the administration that gambled on him despite the fact that he had previously spent time in jail for violating probation by reportedly testing positive for cocaine, marijuana and alcohol, this after being caught trying to buy drugs with counterfeit money.

Which is not to suggest there are any innocent victims here.

Ole Miss knew what it was getting.

Henderson has forever been as troubled as he is talented, but when you've gone six years without making the NCAA tournament, like Kennedy had, and you're set to enter your seventh season on the so-called hot seat, like Kennedy did, then you're almost required to take a chance on a player of Henderson's caliber who can possibly help you break through, keep your job and get a contract extension. And that's exactly what happened...

Denzel Nkemdiche posted a video on Instagram that featured Henderson addressing the news. Asked for his thoughts on the day, Henderson appeared to say, "sadness, ho." Then he smiled into the camera.

The video was taken down about 40 minutes after it posted.

Nkemdiche later tweeted that his account had been hacked. But that's just something dumb that athletes insist happened when they tweet something stupid that is eventually deleted. Nobody believes Nkemdiche's Twitter account was really hacked because he was on camera talking about "Free my boy Marshall." So, Nkemdiche was wise to delete it. And he can claim whatever he wants. But by then the additional damage had been done, point being that the video was a terrible idea for all involved.

For starters, it dragged the football program into a negative basketball story. Hugh Freeze must've been thrilled with that. But more than anything, the 15-second video suggested Henderson isn't taking this latest development any more seriously than he seems to take anything else, and I'm not sure how Ole Miss chancellor Daniel Jones could watch it without wanting to dismiss Henderson on the spot.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/blog/eye-on-college-basketball/22713260/the-day-so-many-predicted-for-marshall-henderson-has-arrived

Denzel is still under the protection of landing the nation's number one recruit for 2013.

jbcarol

Suspended Ole Miss basketball player Marshall Henderson was pulled over in May with small amounts of cocaine, marijuana in vehicle

QuoteOxford police officer Shane Fortner smelled marijuana in Henderson's vehicle and a search revealed a bag containing "a small nugget of marijuana." A subsequent search by a police dog produced another bag containing "a small amount of what appeared to be cocaine."

Because the amount of cocaine was so small (less than one-tenth of a gram), the district attorney declined to prosecute, the report said. Henderson was cited for no proof of insurance, but no other charges were filed.

The Wall Street Journal provided the initial report.

jbcarol

DZ

when do you ever hear cocaine possession, no matter the amount and not get charged with it.. sounds pretty fishy.

jbcarol

Quote from: jbcarol on July 12, 2013, 07:21:04 am
Katz: Ole Miss' staff knew that Marshall Henderson needed help.

He needed someone outside of the department and university to talk with him, so the Rebels sought out Chris Herren, the former NBA and Fresno State guard who famously battled drug and alcohol addiction while playing.

Henderson did not return the call.

CHRIS HERREN         ✔ @c_herren

Enough on the Marshall Henderson suspension ..The kid is obviously battling a beast ...PRAY FOR HIM !!
8:37 AM - 11 Jul 2013

In an update, CL reports that Henderson has been in contact with Herren.

jbcarol

Ole Miss basketball player Marshall Henderson had two previous run-ins with police in Oxford, Miss., in the weeks before he was stopped for speeding and found in possession of marijuana and cocaine

QuoteIn one instance, an officer stopped Henderson on April 27 for playing loud music and not wearing a seat belt, and the officer threatened to take him to jail when Henderson turned his music up just as loud as he pulled away after receiving the citations.

Oxford police chief Joey East said his officers never booked Henderson because he was "very cooperative."

Never played the "International Incident" card.

twistitup

His future is with the And 1 touring team
How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

southeasthog

And we wonder why star athletes act the way they do. No consequences for their bad behavior. 

kingofdequeen

Quote from: southeasthog on July 13, 2013, 03:45:25 pm
And we wonder why star athletes act the way they do. No consequences for their bad behavior. 

nice above ground.

southeasthog

Quote from: kingofdequeen on July 14, 2013, 07:50:26 am
nice above ground.
Thanks! I wish it was mine. Rich people have all the nice stuff.

kingofdequeen

Quote from: southeasthog on July 14, 2013, 07:59:21 am
Thanks! I wish it was mine. Rich people have all the nice stuff.

you said it, man.

jbcarol

Eagle FOI: Oxford police finally release May 4 incident report involving Henderson.

QuoteThe incident took place at 4:39 p.m. (nothing good happens after 4:30), May 4, on Hwy. 7 South. In the report, officer Shane Fortner states that while he was running radar out of the back of his patrol car, he observed a black Pontiac Grand Prix, Henderson's vehicle, in the passing lane traveling at 68 miles-per-hour in a 55 zone. The report then states Fortner exited the shoulder of the highway and caught up to Henderson's vehicle. The report says Henderson was asked for his driver's license and proof of insurance. Henderson was not able to provide proof of insurance.

During the conversation, Fortner stated in the report he noticed a black backpack on the back seat and he smelled a faint odor of green marijuana coming from inside the vehicle. Henderson told Fortner he was coming from Memphis where he watched the Grizzlies play the night before (Sean Touhy is the Grizzlies analyst and could hook a guy up). According to the report, Fortner noticed Henderson's chest rising and falling rapidly and his hands were shaking uncontrollably. When Fortner asked Henderson why he was so nervous, Henderson said he didn't like being around cops (who does?).

jbcarol

Kennedy was quoted last week at a basketball event in North Augusta, S.C., as saying that recent events do not mean Henderson won't be part of the team this season. "Otherwise he'd have just been dismissed,"

http://insideolemisssports.com/?p=4146

jbcarol

The Marshall Plan

QuoteThe same media that thirsted to elevate Henderson specifically because of his theatrics throughout the season are now relishing his present troubles. It's not fair, but it is and was entirely predictable.

Erin Andrews makes jokes about you mocking people? Doesn't matter. This is your path – it's neither right nor wrong to me personally, but it's the path you've chosen. I don't feel like it's all that unbecoming to be a heelish character (it's part of sports) but you sure as hell can't act hurt when you're called out for it.

Henderson is currently suspended. Fans outside the Ole Miss bubble get to make jokes. That's reality after you Gator Chomp your way down press row on national TV (even though I was there and enjoyed such thoughtless bravado immensely).

You are not Marshall Henderson.

If I had a son he may not look like Marshall Henderson, but he'd better shoot for a higher percentage from Treyville.

jbcarol

Sorensen: Marshall Henderson is in trouble again
-OR-
News travels slowly by Pony Express

QuoteSALT LAKE CITY — The first time I ever heard the name Marshall Henderson was five years ago this month. I was given his phone number in Texas as a player who was committing to play basketball for the University of Utah.

He seemed like a nice young man, complete with a thick Texas drawl, and he was excited to play college basketball. The Utah coaches were also excited to have Henderson join their team a year later because of his ability to shoot the ball and happy to beat out schools such as Gonzaga, Stanford and of course Notre Dame...

A year later when I met Henderson face to face, I found him to be a friendly, engaging young man with a quick smile who was fun to talk to. He was just as good a shooter as advertised, although he didn't know when not to shoot, which sometimes hurt the team, not to mention his percentage.

But things didn't work out at Utah and despite leading his team in scoring as a freshman, he left the U. after less than a year.

Since that day in July 2008, when I first talked to him, Henderson has played for five different teams, counting his senior year of high school...

The year he was in Utah, Henderson stayed out of trouble with the law, but it was well known that he had problems with substance abuse.

When he left Utah at the end of the season to go to Texas Tech, Henderson said he wanted to get back closer to home and also said this:

"Coach (Jim) Boylen's program has certain rules and restrictions I respect, but I don't feel they fit with my individualism."

At the time, many folks assumed that statement meant he couldn't shoot as much as he wanted. [Perhaps they were only partly correct.]

jbcarol

ESPN: SEC Basketball Five Biggest Offseason Storylines

1. Marshall Henderson suspended...

2. Tennessee loses Trae Golden, gains Antonio Barton: The loss of Golden was a discouraging development for a UT program...

3. Kyle Wiltjer leaves Kentucky...

4. Pro decisions shift the league: The NBA draft changed the SEC. There were some good decisions, some bad decisions and a few ridiculous ones. Jarnell Stokes...

5. Dismissals hurt trio of teams: Disciplinary challenges have hurt a few SEC programs this offseason, too. Last month, Vanderbilt lost Bright and Kedren Johnson (13.5 PPG) ... And Devonta Pollard, a former McDonald's All American, left Alabama. Pollard is facing a federal charge for his alleged part in a scheme to kidnap a girl in a land dispute.

http://espn.go.com/ncb/notebook/_/page/summershootaround130812/sec

jbcarol

Marshall Henderson to finally return to the Ole Miss basketball team just in time for practice

QuoteThat doesn't guarantee that Henderson will be playing in the Rebel's first game, however. Ole Miss AD Ross Bjork told USA Today's Dan Wolken that the number of games that Henderson will miss this season has not been determined, but most expect Henderson will be forced to sit early on as a result of his off-the-court behavior this summer.

Henderson was suspended from the team on July 10th for multiple violations of team rules, which reportedly was the result of failed drug tests. He's had a number of run-ins with police during his time in Oxford, and Ole Miss put him in touch with Chris Herren, a former star basketball player that ruined his career because of an addiction. He's now a motivational speaker.

Andy Kennedy made it clear that he wasn't going to kick Henderson off of his team, rather he was going to try to help Henderson grow up and mature by allowing him a chance to earn his way back on the team...

jbcarol

The SEC's leading college basketball scorer remains suspended, and while his future isn't muddled, his availability is.

Discussing the 2013-2014 season with local media, Ole Miss coach Andy Kennedy said the administration has played a big role in the handling of Henderson. The Rebels open the season Nov. 8 against Troy.

"There's been a determination already by the administration that he will miss games. How many has yet to be determined, and I think it's on-going based on how he continues to progress," Kennedy said.

Since the suspension Henderson has been a full participant in conditioning and in practice, which began last Friday.

http://djournal.com/sports/length-hendersons-suspension-unclear

jbcarol

Ben Garrett ‏@SpiritBen 3h
Jarvis Summers, not Marshall Henderson, will represent #OleMiss at SEC Media Days next week.

jbcarol

jbcarol

Jerry Tipton ‏@JerryTipton 4h
[Andy] Kennedy on Marshall Henderson 1st team All-SEC: "If he wasn't voted 1st team, maybe we should check your credential."

Jerry Tipton ‏@JerryTipton 4h
Consider my credential pulled. Henderson's indefinite suspension weighed on decision to make him 2nd team.

jbcarol

Kennedy: Marshall Henderson's 'lesson has been learned'

Quote"If I was a betting man - not that I am, but if I was a betting man, I would say that his lesson has been learned and he's looking forward to the opportunity to play in the SEC,'' Kennedy said at Southeastern Conference media days.
He said it remains to be determined how many games the high-scoring guard will miss to start the season.

Kennedy says that's "a fluid situation,'' but that Henderson has so far done everything he's had to do to get back on the court.

"He's been tremendous in his approach and the way in which he's tried to help young guys,'' the coach said. "I've really found him to be more of a leader on the floor and take some responsibility not only for himself but for those around him.
"I've been pleased with the way he's responded.''

Henderson was suspended from the program in July shortly before Oxford police confirmed that he had been found with what appeared to be a small amount of marijuana and cocaine. He was only cited for not having proof of insurance.
The guard led the Rebels to the NCAA tournament for the first time since 2002 last season. He was the SEC's top scorer at 20.1 points per game but also drew negative attention for his behavior on the court.

He stopped tweeting in July, so that may have been one of the conditions.

jbcarol

Ole Miss star Marshall Henderson will not be allowed to play in the Rebels' exhibition game, regular-season opener or first two SEC games this season, the school announced Tuesday.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/eye-on-college-basketball/24156301/marshall-henderson-to-miss-three-regular-season-games-as-punishment

He misses the Auburn game in Oxford and MS State game in Starkville.

jbcarol

Ole Miss athletics director Ross Bjork brushed off criticism for the school's handling of basketball star Marshall Henderson and says steps are being taken to help Henderson get past a history of substance abuse.

Bjork was hired in the spring of 2012 and spoke immediately of operating the department with a focus on the well-being of student-athletes.

"That's really the genesis of all this, to help the person first and foremost. Andy and I talked the first time and said we really didn't care if he ever played another basketball game at Ole Miss. He needs help," Bjork said. "We have a big system in place that is helping Marshall through this. This part is really subject to privacy, as he goes through all that. There's not a lot of detail I can give, but I can tell you it's a robust program. There are a lot of things in place to monitor him, and as he goes through this he's getting better every single day."

"As an AD if we're going to talk about student-athlete welfare the core of our values then the AD should be involved and have a personal relationship with all of our student-athletes if I can," Bjork said. "That takes a lot of time and commitment, but if you're going to speak about their welfare it has to start at the top."

"I don't have a problem defending the fact that we are helping a young man through a difficult process. I am confident in the conversations we had relative to basketball and how those were treated with the highest integrity related to whether he would play again or not. Our focus is on what's best for our program and what's best for the young people in our program."

http://djournal.com/sports/bjork-defends-henderson-decision

Bjork is carrying on recent Ole Miss traditon of being in the people helping business.

jbcarol

Hugh Kellenberger ‏@HKellenbergerCL 2h Why was Marshall Henderson given a chance to remain at Ole Miss, when Dundrecous Nelson and Jason Carter were not? http://www.clarionledger.com/article/20131101/SPORTS030103/311010050/Ole-Miss-gives-Marshall-Henderson-another-chance-despite-off-court-issues ...

During the last two seasons, three players have been kicked off the team for drug-related offenses.

Dundrecous Nelson and Jamal Jones were gone two days after a January 2012 arrest on charges of drug paraphernalia. The school went so far as to have copies of Nelson's arrest report available at the press conference to announce his dismissal. Seven months later, Jason Carter was charged with marijuana possession. He never played a game for Ole Miss and left school at the end of the first semester.

So why is Henderson still at Ole Miss, despite another situation involving illicit drugs?

"If he was charged with that offense," Kennedy said, "we would be having a different conversation."

Kennedy said it was "an allegation" and "we deal with the facts."

jbcarol

Henderson, Ole Miss looking for second straight SEC tournament title

QuoteAndy Kennedy must replace veteran big men like Murphy Holloway and Reginald Buckner, who provided almost all of the inside muscle, not to mention plenty of points and rebounds.

"We're losing, if you think about it, about 25 (points) and 18 (rebounds) per game," Kennedy said. "Those are not easy numbers to replace and I'm not going to ask two guys to do it."

Henderson should provide the majority of the outside scoring, but the Rebels are hoping for less drama.

Ole Miss had the longest stretch of any SEC school without making the NCAA Tournament and Kennedy's job was on the line last season.

jbcarol

On Friday night, Ole Miss needed overtime to knock off University of South Carolina-Aiken, a Division II program, 75-70 in the Rebels' final exhibition game before beginning the regular season this Friday.

Obviously there was a notable absence on the Ole Miss roster. Senior guard Marshall Henderson did not play, part of a suspension that includes Friday night's season opener and the first two games of the SEC schedule.

The Rebels shot 18 percent from behind the 3-point line, coughed the ball up 18 times and were outscored by five in the second half. The SEC leading scorer from a season ago will be back in the lineup on Nov. 16 against Coastal Carolina.

http://collegebasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/11/03/ole-miss-struggles-in-exhibition-looking-for-leaders-without-marshall-henderson

Henderson will miss a home game against Auburn and State in Starkville.

jbcarol

Forget Henderson, Ole Miss must replace big men Holloway and Buckner

QuoteMurphy Holloway and Reginald Buckner were the backbone of last season's NCAA Tournament appearance. While Marshall Henderson scored the points, Holloway was a double-double machine and Buckner played the best basketball of his career toward the end of the season.

The pair did it for four years, leaving Ole Miss as the team's all-time leading rebounder and shot-blocker, respectively. They were also 22, 23-year-old men in a league full of freshmen and sophomores fighting in the post. .

With both now graduated, Ole Miss has holes to fill.

Aaron Jones, who was having a sensational season defensively through 20 games last season, is the best mix of production and upside. It's easy to see the junior becoming one of the SEC's leading shot-blockers this season. And redshirt junior Demarco Cox, who like Jones also missed the tournament run with a foot injury, is a dependable player. But when coach Andy Kennedy called for the high-low sets that he leaned on with Holloway and Buckner during an exhibition last week, it did not have the same effect: Jones just does not have the 15-foot jumper like Holloway's that defenses have to respect.

Does Freshman Sebastian Saiz have the mid-range jumper?

Demarco Cox was the basketball player that Nutt got the recruiting services to include as a 4-star on his football recruiting list. He had the measurables but in the era of Bruce Ellington he did not play a down on the gridiron for Ole Miss.

jbcarol

Marshall Henderson's indefinite suspension is apparently over at Ole Miss. Henderson will play Saturday when the Rebels play at Coastal Carolina. "I know they'll be excited to yell at Marshall," Andy Kennedy said. "But get in line, a lot of people are."

http://johnclay.bloginky.com/2013/11/14/sec-is-steve-spurrier-better-at-south-carolina-than-florida

jbcarol

After a tumultuous summer, the Marshall Henderson road show is finally returning for a second season.

Poor man's Manziel?

QuoteMississippi's 6-foot-2 senior guard will be back on the court for Saturday's road game against Coastal Carolina after being suspended for the season opener. The Rebels hope he can add some scoring punch while keeping his behavior in check.

Ole Miss coach Andy Kennedy said he is anxious to see how his team -- and Henderson -- respond to a hostile environment.

"I know they'll be excited to yell at Marshall," Kennedy said. "But get in line, a lot of people are."

Henderson scored more than 20 points per game last season, becoming one of college basketball's biggest villains in the process because of his penchant for riling up opposing fans with his theatrics.

He's also had off-the-court issues and was indefinitely suspended in July after police found him with small amounts of marijuana and cocaine during a traffic stop, though he was not arrested.

Henderson was suspended three regular-season games by the school. He still must sit out the Rebels' first two Southeastern Conference games against Auburn [no big sacrifice except for scoring average] (Jan. 9) and Mississippi State [for his personal safety] (Jan. 11).

jbcarol

Final from Conway

Ole Miss 72  Coastal Carolina 70

Ole Miss welcomed back Marshall Henderson who hit a big 3 to extend the Rebel lead to five points with 4:04 to go and followed with a dunk 57 seconds later to make it 65-58.

Henderson had 19 points and 4 steals.

jbcarol

In a current ESPN video, Henderson noted that when he first got to Ole Miss some were wondering if this was really the Juco Player of the Year. Henderson said that recently his basketball had been confined to the yard playing in an orange jumpsuit and flip flops. He quickly got back into shape.

Coach Kennedy put out a directive to find the best scorer available when they came back with Henderson.

One guy whose name did not come up was the Grinnell scoring maching Jack Taylor.  How does he score 100+ in a game. CBS Sports found out.

Let's just say it was a handpicked opponent, Taylor is a one-way player, and a coach has books to sell.

http://www.cbssports.com/general/writer/gregg-doyel/24249089/not-easy-for-grinnell-gunner-to-score-100plus-till-coach-makes-it-so

jbcarol

Henderson came off the bench to score 15 points and dish 4 assists in 22 minutes as Ole Miss defeated Mississippi Valley State 111-82 at the Tad Pad.

Millinghaus led Ole Miss with 21 points.

jbcarol

Marshall Henderson and Jarvis Summers combined for 38 points as Ole Miss defeated Penn State 79-76 in Brooklyn. Another win over the B1G for the SEC.

Should be a wild night on the town.

jbcarol

Marshall had 13 points on 2-13 from 3 as Ole Miss lost on the road to KState 61-58.  Henderson hit a late three to get Ole Miss back in the game late.  He missed an NBA range three (air ball) with a little over one second left that would have put Ole Miss up one.