Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

QB(s) this Saturday...

Started by Swino, October 19, 2005, 08:56:51 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Swino

October 19, 2005, 08:56:51 am Last Edit: October 19, 2005, 01:19:22 pm by Swino
Casey Dick took the vast majority of snaps at Tuesday's practice per a razorback football player.

From Nate Allen's article, this would mean that Dick is our starter.  This article does not say that Dick took the snaps

QuoteOne quarterback is going to get the majority of the reps," Nutt said, "and then the other guy gets the scraps." Nutt played it coy Tuesday when asked if Dick would be activated. "I'm just trying to do what's best for our team," Nutt said. "Georgia doesn't need any help at all on anything." Nutt did say all four are on the travel squad to Athens.

Lanny

"It's only a game if you win but if you lose it's a stinking waste of time."

Al Bundy

Feralhog

October 19, 2005, 09:14:14 am #2 Last Edit: October 19, 2005, 09:33:40 am by Feralhog
Why do we go through this crap every year?  How is it that issues witnessed by Realtors, plumbers, electricians, mechanics, pharmicists, students, yada yada, you know the every day fan, how is it fans are able to sit in the stands and identify blatant friken FUNDAMENTAL weaknesses and the coaches can't?

It has to be our coaches either  do not address funamental problems, are clueless in how to address, or fail to  recognize a  problem exists?  It has to be one of the above!  We all friken see it and sit helplessly as we watch the team play half their friken games before these GLARING FRIKEN PROBLEMS ARE FRIKEN ADDRESSED!  Usually by the coach kicking a kid to the curb. 

Below is portions of a message that I posted immedialy following the SMS game.  The mistakes by Johnson as witnessed by me back then, obviously have not been addressed. 

MJ is another example of this.  It was obvious to anyone that in Matt's freshmen year, he had very poor technique carrying the ball.  What was our solution?  Try and keep Matt from taking off.   

Nutt's approach to coaching is to figure out a way to avoid the problem.  Everything about this man is Mickey Mouse! 

Mo St ain't Div 2! and other musings. . .
« on: September 04, 2005, 09:40:37 AM »     
Quote--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
....... It's a good thing I didn't focus on the stats! Why didn't HDN use this opportunity against an out manned opponent, to have an all out passing scrimmage? SMS basically played the nickle package all night, imo it presented an awesome opportunity to let RJ get in some needed work. Don't give me this BS that we're saving the playbook for USC. What's wrong with the approach of giving the upcoming opponent some things other than the out pattern to prepare? At this point, our offense more cloesly resembles to the 00 season than 98's. Grade C -

QB - While RJ has great arm strength and he's pretty accurate, he didn't do a very good job evaluating the pass rush. It appeared to me he bailed on the longer developing routes across the middle by opting for the safety valve. Maybe it was first game jitters or maybe he didn't want to get tossed in the dog house. If things don't improve, we may see a repeat of the QB carasoul. Grade D........
Seer, Sage, Soothsayer and former Computer repairman for Hunter Biden......Feralhog the Magnificent

Swino

I dunno Feral, I believe that we have to actually have an offense in order for the QB to be effective.   Houston allows his emotion to overule any sort of cognitive selection process.  How is a QB supposed to thrive with that?

Razorback Jedi

HogPsych

What are you talking about?  That article says nothing like that.  Do you have a source?  I'll be shocked if he starts or even plays - he was not even taking any snaps with the first team a month ago.  Why do you think Nutt would skip Mort and Barthel to play him.  I may be wrong, but I would be floored if he started or even plays to be honest. 

Swino

Quote from: HogPsych on October 19, 2005, 09:41:55 am
What are you talking about? That article says nothing like that. Do you have a source? I'll be shocked if he starts or even plays - he was not even taking any snaps with the first team a month ago. Why do you think Nutt would skip Mort and Barthel to play him. I may be wrong, but I would be floored if he started or even plays to be honest.

Read the article again.  Now I'm no SEC coach, but why would your backup get most of the snaps in practice??

And no, I don't have a source, I went to Madam Pomfry and she told me this.  Either that or maybe players that practice would see this and tell people. 

Because Mort and Barthel aren't cutting it either/Dick shows more in practice.. Since we can't watch practice, we can only go by what houston tells us. 

Watch TV from the comforts of your bed, just in case.

Inigo Montoya

Quote from: Razorback Jedi on October 19, 2005, 09:34:09 am
Finally, Nutt is seeing the light.

I don't know... I still believe Nutt has his head firmly inserted in his arse.

HogPsych

What?  My bed?  Sorry, I must be really slow on that one.  I wonder if Madam Pomfry has a pass to get in behind the closed tarp.  Sounds to me like other guys are going to play (thank God), but really no implication of who.  I hope Casey is the next heisman, don't get me wrong, I'm just wondering where the rumors are coming from based on the fact that he was TOTALLY irrelevant in pre-season and how he could have come from nowhere to pass 3 QBs - especially when Barthel was the only guy who played well in the scrimmages.  To my knowledge he has been running the scout team, which would mean he hasn't even been running our plays???  By the way, nice duck call on superboy there (lots of bands1)!!! 

Ark Blitz

Good luck to Dick because being a QB for Nutt and this team he will need it.   

HogFather

Quote from: Swino on October 19, 2005, 08:56:51 am
If Houston does what he says, it looks like Dick is the starter for Saturday's game.

If he does what he says?  When pigs fly.  He also said we would open up the offense the last 3 years...of course in his mind 3 yard out routes is probably what he considers opening up.

brooks74

i am all for Dick getting the start.  At least we can find out what we have. 

DevilHog

The strangest thing about this is it is another sign that our coaches have no idea what to do. To go from scout team to starter is stupid. If you are the second best QB typically you are second string, not fourth. This is Nutts.

RazorWire

Quote from: brooks74 on October 19, 2005, 11:05:19 am
i am all for Dick getting the start. At least we can find out what we have.

I don't see that we have anything to lose. GL D. Casey.

HogFather

because we can't recruit a quarterback.  He hasn't recruited one in 8 years, unless you count MJ.

UsACoL1004

Refresh my memory...Did Lunney Jr. get his 1st start against Tennessee at Tennessee and we won by a field goal?

I guess what I am saying is......."there is a chance"?

albeit a very slim chance

brooks74

The way I see it, not that it matters, is that Casey Dick cannot be any worse than RJ has played lately, and if Mitch Mustain is going to come in and challenge to start next year, we need to see what Dick can do.  Maybe throwing him in at Georgia and expecting anything is a mistake, but at some point this year, I want to see what he can do in live action

brooks74

It's hard to recruit a qb when your scared to throw the ball downfield. 

Buff

so we've had a guy redshirted all year up to this point, and now nutt may decide that he has enough talent to start against Georgia AT Georgia?  how did someone miss this all year? 

D. West

It looks like more than 1, possibly 3 QB's will get reps in Saturday's game.
And RoJo may not be included at all.
Casey Dick could very well be your starter...do not be surprised if he is. He's (potentially) the best QB at UA right now.

brooks74

brooks74

Wouldn't suprise me.  Where did you get the "scoop?" 

hogfan186

I will bet my paycheck that Rojo will start this week.

brooks74

Good point.  I still think it won't matter who is at qb, because we need to just tell him to get the ball to Jones, McFadden, Hillis, or Monk.  RJ obviously couldn't figure it out.  Maybe one of the other three can

DisplacedHogFan

Quote from: hogfan186 on October 19, 2005, 12:03:39 pm
I will bet my paycheck that Rojo will start this week.

Do we get to divvy it up between us all, because if it's first come, first serve on that bet..I'll take it!

Buff

ill take that bet..........someone else starts, i get your paycheck.  rojo starts, you can keep it.

hogfan186

You guys will eat your words. 

D. West

Johnson has seen the least amount of snaps all week long. I don't think that's a good sign for a struggling QB to get the start at Georgia.

Casey Dick will most likely get the majority of the snaps this saturday.

Buff

re-read.............i gots nothin to lose

D. West

Johnson has gotten the least amount of reps this week so far, and he's already struggling.
Not only do I think he will not start, he may not play at all. I will almost be surprised if he plays. They are down on him pretty badly.
I talked with Robert this morning and he's still in very good spirits, wearing the same ole' smile.

Razorback Jedi

We could play Loaggins at QB this year, and it wouldn't make a difference. All the Hog's QB needs to be able to do is hand-off, pitch a few times, and throw 3 yard passes.

TulsaHawg

Quote from: D. West on October 19, 2005, 12:11:44 pm
Johnson has gotten the least amount of reps this week so far, and he's already struggling.
Not only do I think he will not start, he may not play at all. I will almost be surprised if he plays. They are down on him pretty badly.
I talked with Robert this morning and he's still in very good spirits, wearing the same ole' smile.

Good to hear Robert is not down.  He seems to be a really fine young man.  Just having some real struggles on the field.

Someone pointed out the other day when talking about Rhett Bomar, that Vince Young really struggled his first season, and look at him now.

D. West

Hey Tulsa, are you the same guy who I met a few weeks ago at an "undisclosed location", and asked me why I had a particular problem with a particular message board?

Just curious... I think we've met.
I think you know who I am, too.  ;D

Ark Blitz

I hope someone else starts so it can take some heat off of RoJo and put even more heat on Nutt.  Maybe this will show people that we have more problems than just at the QB position.  Nutt has got to start developing his players.  Each level from Jr. High to High School and High to College and from College to the NFL gets difficult.  Players look to there coaches to make them better and Nutt is not making his players better.

idochog

HDN has had RoJo for 3 fall practices and 2 spring practices plus 6 games this year.

Is HDN not smart enough to recognize RoJo is not it?

I know RoJo has sucked, but WHAT TOOK HDN SO LONG TO FIGURE IT OUT?
I love Jesus!

bknight33

I think that it is just another sign of how much he listens to the crowd, media...etc..he does not want to do another one of those three ring QB circuses.....

hogsanity

I think he knew it all along.  He couldnt get a good Qb recruit while Matt was here, and couldnt get one this year because of the expected signing of MM.  So, he thought RJ would be serviceable enough to get them 6 wins this year and then by the 2nd game next year MM would probably be in place. 

Look at the other schools that recruited RJ as a QB, they were or still are all RUN Oriented.  That was the first tip that this guy couldnt throw.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

PAHog

I really don't believe that 18 sucks.  I think he is a great QB talent that has not had anyone to bring him along.  He has a great arm (which he is almost never allowed to display) and good speed.  The major mistake with this guy is that he had barely seen the field while 9 was here.  I blame his performance on the coaching staff.  We had one of the best WRs in college football playing QB.  Shoulda, woulda, coulda, I know.  What's more frustrating is that he was the #7 run/pass QB in the nation coming out of HS and Nutt and/or his staff has ruined him.  We also haven't had an O-line that has had to pass block the last 3 years.  You put anyone other than a super-talent (like Jones) at QB under Nutt and they'll have the same struggles that Johnson is having now.
Darksider Since October 2003...We are victorious!

brooks74

I totally agree Hammer.   I don't think any qb we put in will look good vs Georgia.  We just know RJ isn't the qb, I am sure he is a great guy, just not ready to play QB in the SEC.

V B Porkers

My question is what will the excuse be next week? Who will have to shoulder the burden of Georgia beating us. I hope they are looking forward to Florida like Alabama did when we played them. That might make us look a little better.

TulsaHawg

Quote from: D. West on October 19, 2005, 12:20:30 pm
Hey Tulsa, are you the same guy who I met a few weeks ago at an "undisclosed location", and asked me why I had a particular problem with a particular message board?

Just curious... I think we've met.
I think you know who I am, too. ;D

Yessireebob I am.  Didn't realize that was you!

Were you there last weekend?  We were at the park, but I was gone quite a bit. Didn't head home until late Sunday afternoon.

You gonna be around for the SC game?

Swino

QuoteI agree. That article doesn't say that Dick was the QB getting the most snaps.

Read my 1st post again.  I clarified it.

HogPsych

D. West, has Dick gottent the majority of the snaps this week in practice? 

D. West

You know where I'll be, Tulsa.
Hey man, Barry Switzer came out this weekend, did you get a chance to see him?

Hollar at me for the SC game, we need to hook up.

hogattack21

I have class with some players, and from what they told me, is that Casey Dick "might" play. However Alex Mortensen was who they thought was going to start because he was getting more snaps. We will just have to see come saturday, personally I think RJ will still start and we'll get beat by about 35.
It may be wrong, but it sure feels right.

D. West

Casey has gotten a lot of work this week, that I can say.
I think they'll decide at the end of the week for sure, but I look for possibly 3 guys to get snaps, but definitely 2.

Swino

That is what I was told this morning also, but that Dick took the majority of snaps Tuesday.