Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Here's a thought

Started by hoggystyle78, October 20, 2005, 10:08:58 am

Previous topic - Next topic

hoggystyle78

A vuddy of mine at work today brought up an interesting point, let's say just for the sake of argument, that our beloved bb team sucks again this year and doesn't make the tourney(ncaa), does JFB fire Heath?, I mean if we allow the nuttster to bring our FB program to the brink of destruction, yet keep him as coach and then fire Heath, who's only had 3-4 yrs I don't think that JFB would fire Heath without Heath having the grounds to sue based on racial discrimination. Now don't get me wrong I think Heath is a good guy and I'm in no way comparing him to nolan when it comes to his attitude, but think about it, keeping Nutt and allowing him to be below mediocre really mat tie the university's hands in regard to Heath, God knows we don't need another racial issue on the hill, it hurts recruiting for sure. I say fire HDN at the end of the season that way if Heath doesn't work out JFB could fire him without the prospect of a lawsuit. All I know is it's sure gonna look fishy if the ole nuttster keeps his job, yet we fire Heath! I just think keeping nutt could also hurt the BB program, just my thoughts, what do guys think? ???

PintailKiller

I can not see any scenario in which JFB would fire Heath without having already fired nutt.  The exception being some sort of crime or misconduct.  ( I would argue that nutts coaching is misconduct).
"Just take the ball and throw it where you want to. Throw strikes. Home plate don't move."

WILL CLINTON

But there is already a crime going on.  HDN is stealing $1.2-$1.5 million a year for impersonating a D-1 coach. 

JFB:  "Are you a D-1 football coach?"
HDN: "No, but I did stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night."
There is no sacred ground for the conquered.

davehog

Nolan WAS right in that HDN got treated differently than the other coaches.  If Nolan and HDN were held to the same standard, he (HDN) would have been fired long ago. In addition, since FB is more a revenue producing sport than BB is, you would think that the unfair treatment of a coach would ALWAYS be on the FB coach.   

sooie dog

Quote from: davehog on October 20, 2005, 10:41:13 am
Nolan WAS right in that HDN got treated differently than the other coaches. If Nolan and HDN were held to the same standard, he (HDN) would have been fired long ago. In addition, since FB is more a revenue producing sport than BB is, you would think that the unfair treatment of a coach would ALWAYS be on the FB coach.

I don't recall Houston saying "give me my money and they can take the job".  Nolan, Nutt and Heath should all should be ex emplyees of the University of Arkansas. 

MJ2

Yes, Montel would be fired and here's why-

The home crowds have continued to fall off under his tenure and another season of disappointment would only make that worse and that translates into lost revenue.   Revenue makes the program run and without it, Montel is just another Crowe in Frank's kitchen....

hoggystyle78

So according to you we fire Heath, who by the way has done much better recruiting than nutty, and we keep this friggin used car salesman, man if that wouldn't open us up to a discrimination suit by Heath. I think there's no way Heath gets fired this year as long as JFB and lindsey keep putting up with this darn that the nuttster is doing. just not gonna happen, so now not only is nutt dictating what we do in our FB program but it will also affect any decisions regarding the direction of the BB program!
Quote from: MJ2 on October 20, 2005, 12:26:20 pm
Yes, Montel would be fired and here's why-

The home crowds have continued to fall off under his tenure and another season of disappointment would only make that worse and that translates into lost revenue. Revenue makes the program run and without it, Montel is just another Crowe in Frank's kitchen....

MJ2

You're right in saying that the Heath and Nutt situations are intertwined.   I think the Nolan trial caused that.   But, never forget that Frank is a shrewd dude.   I still believe he will make HDN clean house knowing that Nutt will not like it and will leave on his own (to Colorado).  Heath will be "relieved" of his duties and will be on the payroll for a few more years.  Who will his replacement be?

Jim Harris

Quote from: hoggystyle78 on October 20, 2005, 10:08:58 am
A vuddy of mine at work today brought up an interesting point, let's say just for the sake of argument, that our beloved bb team sucks again this year and doesn't make the tourney(ncaa), does JFB fire Heath?, I mean if we allow the nuttster to bring our FB program to the brink of destruction, yet keep him as coach and then fire Heath, who's only had 3-4 yrs I don't think that JFB would fire Heath without Heath having the grounds to sue based on racial discrimination. Now don't get me wrong I think Heath is a good guy and I'm in no way comparing him to nolan when it comes to his attitude, but think about it, keeping Nutt and allowing him to be below mediocre really mat tie the university's hands in regard to Heath, God knows we don't need another racial issue on the hill, it hurts recruiting for sure. I say fire HDN at the end of the season that way if Heath doesn't work out JFB could fire him without the prospect of a lawsuit. All I know is it's sure gonna look fishy if the ole nuttster keeps his job, yet we fire Heath! I just think keeping nutt could also hurt the BB program, just my thoughts, what do guys think? ???

I'll give you a scerario back: If Heath plays this dynamite schedule, goes 9-7 in the SEC and 17 or 18 wins overall and gets fired for it, and Broyles cuts loose all the commitments like he did with Igoudala, and we're starting over with total darn again next year, Broyles should be carried out of the complex, his name stricken from the damn building and he should have his butt kicked down Razorback Road and out of the city. Frank him. He's overstayed it and the top two programs at the UA have suffered mightily for it.
"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

hoggystyle78

I hope you're right MJ let Colorado have him! As far as who would take Heath's place I really don't know but I feel like it wouldn't be too difficult to find a top level coach seeing as how our basketball program isn't too awfully far removed from having really good years, besides we really need to get ahold of the bb program while some of these kids coming up can still remember when the hogs were a basketball power.
Quote from: MJ2 on October 20, 2005, 12:40:04 pm
You're right in saying that the Heath and Nutt situations are intertwined. I think the Nolan trial caused that. But, never forget that Frank is a shrewd dude. I still believe he will make HDN clean house knowing that Nutt will not like it and will leave on his own (to Colorado). Heath will be "relieved" of his duties and will be on the payroll for a few more years. Who will his replacement be?

hoggystyle78

I was trying to say, I agree 100% with Drake.

JDHogg

By the same standard, Heath should have four more years to succeed even if Nutt were fired this season.  But, the trend appears to be in two opposite directions for the future of the programs.  Heath is coaching his players to play Heath basketball, he is recruiting kids to play Heath basketball.  Nutt, scrounges for whatever he can get and plays "patch-up" with what he has.  He doesn't recruit players to fit the system he "claims" to want to play.  Matt Jones was Nutt's offense the last four years-anyone who denies that is only fooling himself.  This week's "patch-up" is Jeremy Harrell and Fred Bledsoe.
The post about O'Donohoe the kicker, are you implying that HDN would lay blame on a player publicly? (sarcasm).
"That's why you want something a little different", says Nutt entering his 9th season on the hill.
"You look at Florida last year," Nutt says.  "They struggled with their offense because of change...overhaul change.  Change is hard."

Quoted from August 2006 Hootens's Arkansas Football.

hogsanity

Heath wont be fired because they are going to the ncaa tourney this year, and he already has a good class coming in NEXT year with Weems, heck with the team he has now, if the only signee for next year is Weems it would still be a good class.

So, short of misconduct, he isnt going anywhere, unless someone offers him a better job.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

hogsanity

Quote from: JDHogg on October 20, 2005, 12:49:25 pm
By the same standard, Heath should have four more years to succeed even if Nutt were fired this season. But, the trend appears to be in two opposite directions for the future of the programs. Heath is coaching his players to play Heath basketball, he is recruiting kids to play Heath basketball. Nutt, scrounges for whatever he can get and plays "patch-up" with what he has. He doesn't recruit players to fit the system he "claims" to want to play. Matt Jones was Nutt's offense the last four years-anyone who denies that is only fooling himself. This week's "patch-up" is Jeremy Harrell and Fred Bledsoe.
The post about O'Donohoe the kicker, are you implying that HDN would lay blame on a player publicly? (sarcasm).

One HUGE difference.  The FB program is still puking out big profit, the same CAN NOT be said of the BB program.  Much like the rest of life, $$$ talks.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

HogFather

Quote from: hoggystyle78 on October 20, 2005, 10:08:58 am
I just think keeping nutt could also hurt the BB program, just my thoughts, what do guys think? ???

Well yeah...BB recruits attend football games on official visits.  They could get nervous and think the idiocracy of the football coach is contagious and could infect the BB program.

JDHogg

Quote from: MJ2 on October 20, 2005, 12:40:04 pm
You're right in saying that the Heath and Nutt situations are intertwined. I think the Nolan trial caused that. But, never forget that Frank is a shrewd dude. I still believe he will make HDN clean house knowing that Nutt will not like it and will leave on his own (to Colorado). Heath will be "relieved" of his duties and will be on the payroll for a few more years. Who will his replacement be?

The Nolan trial was far worse to BB recruiting than the NCAA investigation was to FB.  No way Heath gets axed for two reasons:  1) the Nolan trial exposure was BAD for JFB,  2)  the race issue would look to put us further back in recruiting.
I'm not saying there is a race issue, but the appearance of one is just as bad as having one from the outside.
"That's why you want something a little different", says Nutt entering his 9th season on the hill.
"You look at Florida last year," Nutt says.  "They struggled with their offense because of change...overhaul change.  Change is hard."

JDHogg

Quote from: hogsanity on October 20, 2005, 12:51:27 pm
Quote from: JDHogg on October 20, 2005, 12:49:25 pm
By the same standard, Heath should have four more years to succeed even if Nutt were fired this season. But, the trend appears to be in two opposite directions for the future of the programs. Heath is coaching his players to play Heath basketball, he is recruiting kids to play Heath basketball. Nutt, scrounges for whatever he can get and plays "patch-up" with what he has. He doesn't recruit players to fit the system he "claims" to want to play. Matt Jones was Nutt's offense the last four years-anyone who denies that is only fooling himself. This week's "patch-up" is Jeremy Harrell and Fred Bledsoe.

One HUGE difference. The FB program is still puking out big profit, the same CAN NOT be said of the BB program. Much like the rest of life, $$$ talks.

6 Fay FB games x 70,000 butts in seats x $34 = $14.3 million

16 Fay BB games x 21,000 butts in seats x $18 = $6.05 million

Another HUGE difference.  More concessions sold at FB. Longer games, more people, weather less comfortable than indoor arena.

FB carries all athletics.  BB does its share I understand.  What I don't get is why there is less pressure to succeed in FB than BB in UA athletics?

WILL CLINTON

For some strange reason, during the summer, when there was nothing else to keep me busy, I thought about who would replace both of our coaches if either or both were fired.  Based on their comments, I could see Norm Chow for football and Rick Majerus (sp) for basketball.  Norm was asked if he would like to have A HC job, and he said just give me the chance.  When Majerus was down in Bud Walton doing the color for a game last year, he spoke very favorably about the arena, the team, and Fayetteville in general.  Now I know that most visitors wont talk down about the place they are in on TV, but he went above and beyond just being cordial. 
There is no sacred ground for the conquered.