Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

WHy next yrs offense will be much better

Started by hogsanity, October 19, 2005, 12:32:21 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

hogsanity

No matter who the coach is, the mere threat of play action with MM will be enough to free up the run game just enough to avg 4 yds per carry if not more. 

MM may not be the most polished guy next year, but I will bet he can go through a 3 man progression better than any1 we have now or have had for a long long time. 

Now, if we can just find 3 quality DL players we will be much better
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

HawgWyld

LOL -- so, we're just a year away from being better?

Hmmm. Sounds kinda familiar...

bknight33

The running game is good this year....we have two backs averaging over seven yards a carry...the pass game is atrocious....110th in the country....the difference will be whether or not any of the current batch of QB's progress...or if Mitch can come in and play right away.  Will he be able to throw with someone breathing down his neck?

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: hogsanity on October 19, 2005, 12:32:21 pm
No matter who the coach is, the mere threat of play action with MM will be enough to free up the run game just enough to avg 4 yds per carry if not more.

Good lord, if we fall back to 4 yards a carry, we're toast.
[CENSORED]!

hogsanity

Quote from: HawgWyld on October 19, 2005, 12:36:31 pm

Well it is obvious it isnt oing to get better this year, unless one of the other qb's comes in a does something unexpected

My poin is that MM wont have to throw for 300 per next year, just hit enough to keep the D honest.  THats why he will, in my estimation, be able to start or at least play significant minutes as a true freshman
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Donald Miller

Have you seen Oklahoma play this year?  Rhett Bomar was as highly or more highly touted than MM and he is a redshirt Freshman this yr.  Would you say Oklahoma has more talent around him than we will with MM?  You guys are putting too much stock and pressure on this kid.  Expecting him to come in and be an instant success (and he may be) is asking a lot.

davehog

Whoever the QB is next year is walking in to a QB's dream world, provided the offense is revamped by any coach not named Houston Nutt.  Malzahn and/or Cutcliffe would do just fine.  We have a superb running game (1st in the SEC and future All American McFadden), essentially 5 returning starters back on the OL (Lose Roper but hopfully get Tubbs back), WRs with experience (get Chris Baker back), one true playmaker WR in Monk, and we are in on 3 other playmaker WRs (Damian Williams, Cedric Houston, Devin Thomas) and chances are we are going to get one.  I bet any other coach not named HDN will be sure and not forget the TE (Marc Winston was a 5star recruit and I would move Jamaal Anderson from DE to TE in spring)  We have SEC-Calibre talent all over the field on offense.  We just need a QB (I'm thinking Mustain here) that can throw the ball ACCURATELY and ON TIME , we will be able to really put up some big numbers in yards and subsequently score a LOT of points.  Now I know that all this hinges upon one fact, HDN is either not the head coach or he has an Off Coord that has FULL authority of the offense. 

HawgWyld

Quote from: hogsanity on October 19, 2005, 12:42:57 pm
Quote from: HawgWyld on October 19, 2005, 12:36:31 pm

Well it is obvious it isnt oing to get better this year, unless one of the other qb's comes in a does something unexpected

My poin is that MM wont have to throw for 300 per next year, just hit enough to keep the D honest. THats why he will, in my estimation, be able to start or at least play significant minutes as a true freshman

Don't get me wrong. I honestly hope you're right. I was just pointing out this program has been a "next year" one since Nutt got here. I truly hope that, eventually, the predictions for the Proverbial "next year" come to pass.

davehog

Quote from: ScottFaldon on October 19, 2005, 12:45:20 pm
Quote from: Thehammer on October 19, 2005, 12:39:47 pm

Unless we get our offensive line coached up on pass blocking, MM is going to be looking at the sky a lot next year.

When was the last time this staff "coached up" a player or unit of the team?
Just on the Off Line alone-Burlsworth (walkon), Reith (walkon), Lacy (now in the NFL, barely recruited by anybody), Roper (probably the 3rd or 4th C taken in the draft, recruited by nobody), Stephen Parker (walkon).  As you can probably tell, I am a fan of Markuson.  The tangible results are there for him, leading the SEC in rushing a few years, getting walkons and unheralded recruits to the NFL.  I think the only thing that makes them look like such bad pass blockers is the playcalling.  EVERYONE in the stadium knows what we are going to do when. 

mikeirwin

Next year the QB coach will be calling the plays instead of the offensive line coach.

JDW

Next years offensive needs:

1. Pass blocking.
2. OC. Better play calling.
3. WR's or play more of what we have.

Put 4 WR on the line.

silvertip

It has been my opinion for several years that this coaching staff cannot develop O-linemen that can protect our passers. Those who argue that Markuson is a great o-line coach usually point to our "dominant" running game. I contend that run-blocking is only half the job.

Can we find some "objective measure" to feed this debate? I contend that the NFL will look only for "complete" O-linemen & an o-lineman that can't pass-block will not survive in the NFL. So I would suggest that the NFL draft would be a good measure of the quality of O-linemen produced by Nutt's regime. Also, you could look for undrafted Hog linemen that ever played in an NFL game.

A CHALLENGE---I can find only 3 Hog O-linemen drafted since '98. Burlsworth was a Ford recruit & I'll leave it to others as to how much credit Markuson gets for his development. Shawn Andrews I consider a "freak" who was NFL-bound regardless of college coaching. So, WHO can name the one other Hog o-lineman drafted, & did he stick long enough to ever get an NFL snap? I know who it was, but I don't know if he made it.

Seems to me I read once that Philly coaches said Andrews was "behind" in the passing game?

THE QUESTION---Depending on whether you count Burlsworth and/or Andrews, Hogs have had 1 to 3 O-linemen drafted since HDN & Markuson arrived. IF, as HDN asserted in '98, we're a "national championship under construction" and IF as some say Markuson is a "great O-line coach"---THEN, do you consider this NFL lineman production lives up to thse expectations????????

I don't have any facts as to what a top-25 school should produce on average over such a time frame. I would appreciate anyone who wants to say that this is "good" production---could you please bring some facts? I'm NOT interested in a debate over whether NFL draft is a good measuring stick, unless you can come up with another measurement.

Donald Miller

Bobby Williams, started at Philly, now at Cincy I believe.  Did Lazerius White get drafted late or was he just invited to camp? 

lumphog

Quote from: hogsanity on October 19, 2005, 12:32:21 pm

MM may not be the most polished guy next year, but I will bet he can go through a 3 man progression better than any1 we have now or have had for a long long time.

Now, if we can just find 3 quality DL players we will be much better
I agree they will be better, but it`s like putting a band-ade on a gapping wound.

davehog

Bo Lacy was drafted, on the practice squad for Chicago.  Roper will be the 3rd or 4th Center taken in the draft.

HogsRule

**Judgement on coaches withheld pending further information**

No Hate Zone

e_dub

Quote from: Thehammer on October 19, 2005, 03:32:32 pm
Quote from: HogsRule on October 19, 2005, 02:33:56 pm
BO LACY

I agree with Silvertip. While we may have had some linemen get a cup of coffee at NFL camps it still doesn't take away from the fact that all of our quarterbacks have to resort to rolling out and running for their lives. The man just can't teach pass blocking.

Is he mildly retarded or just an idiot?

brooks74

I think Markuson is a great coach.  Andrews is a once in a lifetime guy who is an O-lineman who actually comes into college ready to play as a true freshman.  Maybe he wasn't ready until the 5th game or whatever it was.  I agree with davehog, it is hard to block 6-8 guys with 5 when 70,000 people in the stadium know that you are gonna pass or run the draw.  Burlsworth is the only guy on that list that was recruited and coached by the other staff.  If we have a mediocre passing game we would be sucessful as well as we run the ball. 

hoggystyle78

Why next year's offense will be better? Nutt will be fired, Butch will be hired and all will be right in the land of Hog!  At least I pray that's what happens. GO HOGS!

brooks74

As much as most of you hate it, Nutt will be here next year.  The only hope is that Broyles forces him to make a lot of changes on his staff, and when he does he makes good hires and we have a better offense next year.  I think we have the talented backs, experienced line, a couple of good receivers, so we should be decent.  Our defense will be much better when some of our young guys get a year in the program and know the system

Flatline

Unless we get our offensive line coached up on pass blocking, MM is going to be looking at the sky a lot next year.

Every week.  LOL

hoggystyle78

Translation; WAIT TILL NEXT YEAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

tophawg19

mitch mustain is going to be a freshmen and history shows even the best freshmen struggle baddly in the SEC . leak was ok with a world of talent around him and a system that was suited to him . even the manning brothers struggled as freshmen and it's way to early to compare M.M to them .
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

HogDodging

The nail was hit squarely on the head here.

Nutt gets good players and they end up average.

silvertip

Thanks for the replies so far, everyone. Except "e dub."

Indeed, Bo Lacy was our 3rd drafted O-lineman since '98. I'm glad to hear that he's still got a shot.

As far as drafted players, I checked every draft listing for all those years at some site I found with a google search.

As far as players still in the league, I believe I got that from an alphabetical listing at NFL.com Lacy was not listed, but maybe that list doesn't include practice squads

Now I've got to go re-check Bobby Williams & Lazerus White---if they were drafted, I missed it.

HogsRule

Quote from: silvertip on October 19, 2005, 05:18:12 pm

Indeed, Bo Lacy was our 3rd drafted O-lineman since '98. I'm glad to hear that he's still got a shot.

As far as drafted players, I checked every draft listing for all those years at some site I found with a google search.

As far as players still in the league, I believe I got that from an alphabetical listing at NFL.com Lacy was not listed, but maybe that list doesn't include practice squads

Now I've got to go re-check Bobby Williams & Lazerus White---if they were drafted, I missed it.

Bobby Williams was second round to Philly.
**Judgement on coaches withheld pending further information**

No Hate Zone

e_dub

Quote from: silvertip on October 19, 2005, 05:18:12 pm

I'm sorry, I wasn't talking about you or anybody on this board.  I guess I quoted the wrong quote.  I was talking about Markuson.  Sorry about the misunderstanding. :)

HawgWyld

Quote from: brooks74 on October 19, 2005, 04:28:16 pm
As much as most of you hate it, Nutt will be here next year. The only hope is that Broyles forces him to make a lot of changes on his staff, and when he does he makes good hires and we have a better offense next year. I think we have the talented backs, experienced line, a couple of good receivers, so we should be decent. Our defense will be much better when some of our young guys get a year in the program and know the system

Why do so many people assume Nutt will be here next year? If the Hogs even manage to go 3-8 (not real likely, but possible), are you suggesting there won't at least be some discussion among the powers that be of sending him packing? Historically, coaches who don't perform tend to be shown the door at Arkansas. Is Nutt somehow immune to all that?

brooks74

[Why do so many people assume Nutt will be here next year? If the Hogs even manage to go 3-8 (not real likely, but possible), are you suggesting there won't at least be some discussion among the powers that be of sending him packing? Historically, coaches who don't perform tend to be shown the door at Arkansas. Is Nutt somehow immune to all that?

I think Broyles promised him 2 years to turn it around, and it looks like he will get two years.  For some reason Broyles is giving him a pass.  For some reason,  I do think he is immune to all of it. 

silvertip

October 20, 2005, 12:03:18 pm #29 Last Edit: October 20, 2005, 12:17:36 pm by silvertip
FREE BEER TOMORROW!

Oh yeah, Bobbie Williams was drafted 2nd round in 2000 & still playing. I just missed him in my first search thru the drafts.
Bo Lacy is now on the practice squad with the Colts. Hope he makes it.

Jason Peters is 2nd string tackle with Buffalo. He caught a pass at least once this year on a tackle-eligible. I don't think he was drafted. Last year, Buffalo coaches picked him up as a TE and after a while they were saying, "We don't know WHAT this guy is?" TE or tackle? Good to see he's making it, on athletic ability. At one point, his brother was fighting for an NFL lineman spot, despite hardly any football experience at all. Anyone know how that worked out?

rricha

Quote from: silvertip on October 20, 2005, 12:03:18 pm
FREE BEER TOMORROW!

Oh yeah, Bobbie Williams was drafted 2nd round in 2000 & still playing. I just missed him in my first search thru the drafts.
Bo Lacy is now on the practice squad with the Colts. Hope he makes it.

Jason Peters is 2nd string tackle with Buffalo. He caught a pass at least once this year on a tackle-eligible. I don't think he was drafted. Last year, Buffalo coaches picked him up as a TE and after a while they were saying, "We don't know WHAT this guy is?" TE or tackle? Good to see he's making it, on athletic ability. At one point, his brother was fighting for an NFL lineman spot, despite hardly any football experience at all. Anyone know how that worked out?
THat was Shawn Andrews brother.  By the way if Arkansas cared anything about Jason they would have told him his future was at tackle.  Imangine Peters and Andrews on the same offensive line

nwarazfan

Peters and Andrews were on the same Oline.  He may have had TE title, but he was a very effective run blocker.  Those two could seal an end like few others. 

Bobby Williams was not a Nutt recruit.  Our lines in 98 and 99 were versatile.  They could run and pass block.  And to be happy that we've had 3 or 4 Olinemen drafted in 8 years is ridiculous.  That number should be twice that or more if we hope to compete in the SEC.  I've appreciated Markuson too for what he has worked with.  But 8 years is long enough to build quality line depth and stop working with walkons, former TE's and moved DT's.

Hog Bounty Hunter

Quote from: nwarazfan on October 20, 2005, 12:37:08 pm
Peters and Andrews were on the same Oline. He may have had TE title, but he was a very effective run blocker. Those two could seal an end like few others.

Bobby Williams was not a Nutt recruit. Our lines in 98 and 99 were versatile. They could run and pass block. And to be happy that we've had 3 or 4 Olinemen drafted in 8 years is ridiculous. That number should be twice that or more if we hope to compete in the SEC. I've appreciated Markuson too for what he has worked with. But 8 years is long enough to build quality line depth and stop working with walkons, former TE's and moved DT's.

He was talking about Andrew's brother, keep up man.

rricha

nwarazfan

No rricha was talking about Shawn Andrews and Jason Peters on the same Oline. So F- off man.

Anti-OtisII

October 20, 2005, 12:59:24 pm #35 Last Edit: October 20, 2005, 01:47:45 pm by Anti-OtisII
Quote from: davehog on October 19, 2005, 12:55:45 pm
Whoever the QB is next year is walking in to a QB's dream world, provided the offense is revamped by any coach not named Houston Nutt. Malzahn and/or Cutcliffe would do just fine. We have a superb running game (1st in the SEC and future All American McFadden), essentially 5 returning starters back on the OL (Lose Roper but hopfully get Tubbs back), WRs with experience (get Chris Baker back), one true playmaker WR in Monk, and we are in on 3 other playmaker WRs (Damian Williams, Cedric Houston, Devin Thomas) and chances are we are going to get one. I bet any other coach not named HDN will be sure and not forget the TE (Marc Winston was a 5star recruit and I would move Jamaal Anderson from DE to TE in spring) We have SEC-Calibre talent all over the field on offense. We just need a QB (I'm thinking Mustain here) that can throw the ball ACCURATELY and ON TIME , we will be able to really put up some big numbers in yards and subsequently score a LOT of points. Now I know that all this hinges upon one fact, HDN is either not the head coach or he has an Off Coord that has FULL authority of the offense.

If I ever read one more post that even mentions Chris Baker's name in any context other than he is no longer on the team, then I think I'm going to go "postal".  I cannot remember one other Razorback player that has ever gotten any more mentions while contributing almost NOTHING to a Hog team.  I'm TIRED of reading his name.  He has now surpassed Jay Strain (spelling?) as the Razorback player "Most Likely to Succeed" without ever really succeeding.

"Chris Baker" should be automatically changed to "Failed ****WR Recruit" in any post on Hogville.net.

BTW, Marc Winston was a THREE star recruit coming out of high school, not a 5 star.  I am continually amazed at how our fans are so misled by reading Grit and start to believe that players are actually a lot better than they are.  How Winston went from a 3 star to a 5 star is just beyond me.

RAZORBART

I would guess when they were at Murray State maybe ??????

Hog Bounty Hunter

Quote from: nwarazfan on October 20, 2005, 12:42:39 pm
No rricha was talking about Shawn Andrews and Jason Peters on the same Oline. So F- off man.

No moron he wasn't, he was talking about adding Andrews and Peters to Andrews brother on a line, Andrews has a brother who also plays in the NFL.   In case you don't know, which I am sure you don't, rricha is Richard Richardson who was a four year starter at the U of A and played DE along with Billy Ray Smith, so even though your knowledge of who played together I am sure is vast, he probably knows a little more than you.  So go F-  yourself.

Cajun Hog

That's a good point and why the hogs will have four new assistants on offense next year.  So the line can block without max protection and the rest can do the job they are paid to due.  ::)

Anti-OtisII

Quote from: Hog Bounty Hunter on October 20, 2005, 01:58:19 pm
Quote from: nwarazfan on October 20, 2005, 12:42:39 pm

No moron he wasn't, he was talking about adding Andrews and Peters to Andrews brother on a line, Andrews has a brother who also plays in the NFL. In case you don't know, which I am sure you don't, rricha is Richard Richardson who was a four year starter at the U of A and played DE along with Billy Ray Smith, so even though your knowledge of who played together I am sure is vast, he probably knows a little more than you. So go F- yourself.

Richard was a great defensive lineman (NG as I remember) but I think even he would tell you that he was a little too short to play DE. 

nwarazfan

Why would he be dreaming of a former track athlete who played one season of football at Ole Miss playing on the Ark Oline with a TE?  I'm the moron? 

Hog Bounty Hunter

Quote from: nwarazfan on October 20, 2005, 03:56:01 pm
Why would he be dreaming of a former track athlete who played one season of football at Ole Miss playing on the Ark Oline with a TE? I'm the moron?
Yes