Game 3: L 42-21
Game 4: W 17-10
Game 5: W 31-10
Game 6: W 14-10
Game 7: W 23-17
Game 8: W 28-10
Game 9: L 24-17
Game 10: W 27-24

Ok, if we can beat Alabama, Geogia, and LSU why can't we beat Miss. St.?
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep just like my grandfather, and not like the screaming passengers in his car!

ColoradoHawg

From my limited knowledge, the Miss. St. team that nearly beat us this year doesn't graduate many starters.

mikeirwin

Quote from: arkcat on April 14, 2005, 09:46:00 am
Alright folks, we are 1/2 way through spring practice and at this point what is your gut feeling for the upcoming football season?
Here's mine:
SMSU: Hogs 32 , SMSU 17 (we miss three extra points and one fg)
Vandy: Hogs 14, Vandy 17 (get caught looking past them to USC)
USC: Hogs 14, USC 28 (Closer than the experts think)
Bama: Hogs 24 Bama 27 (we show improvement on O and lead at the half but D is still worn out from USC game)
ULM Hogs 30 ULM 10 (Reggie gets the team on track)
Dawgs: Hogs 7 Dawgs 31(we get spanked)
SC: Hogs 17 Cocks 38 (welcome back Steve)
Ole Miss: Hogs 21 Ole Miss 17 (first road win)
MSU: Hogs 24 MSU 13 (D wins us the game)
LSU: Hogs 17 LSU 30 (They have too many horses)
End of the season: 4-6
Nutt gets fired and Broyles hires Reggie as HC. Rest of staff is fired.

I think the Vandy game will be HUGE because it is a game we should win but its one that because it is so early could really send a cloud over this season.
Not as off base as some seem to think.
I think an early loss to Vandy could happen.
I do think South Carolina will have problems. That game should be a W for the Hogs.
I agree that the USC game could be closer than some think it will be. Houston will have his team fired up for that one. Nothing to lose etc.
I think Ole Miss is an L.
Five to seven wins is my prediction. The seven would be the result of Darren McFadden having a big freshman year.

PennHOG

Wasn't it the Miss. St game that Matt Jones could barely run?
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep just like my grandfather, and not like the screaming passengers in his car!

PennHOG

Isn't McFadden going to red shirt?  I thought I read that he needed to bulk up in order to withstand the college punishment.

bknight33

Quote from: hawgfan_18 on April 14, 2005, 01:55:25 pm
ok WTH, i see us losing to UGA before LSU. LSU is a completely different team, same players but a new coaching staff, we have a better chance beating LSU than UGA, i mean seriously

I agree with that 100%.  However, we play both teams on the road......does not look too promising.

Pragmatic PiG

Quote from: PennHOG on April 14, 2005, 02:48:53 pm
Isn't McFadden going to red shirt?  I thought I read that he needed to bulk up in order to withstand the college punishment.
no

Pragmatic PiG

can i get some kool aid?

when was the last time the hogs beat the C00Nz at BR?

LSU may have  "les" coaching but you'd be fooling yourself if you think they are not loaded with talent at almost every position

mikeirwin

Isn't McFadden going to red shirt? I thought I read that he needed to bulk up in order to withstand the college punishment.
That's funny.
The top recruit they have is gonna redshirt at a time when they don't have jack at running back.
No, McFadden is not Fred Talley.
He plays somewhere between 205 and 210 and he's faster than light speed.
He's as heavy as he ever needs to be.
If they put weight on him they are crazy.

Pragmatic PiG

Quote from: mikeirwin on April 14, 2005, 02:45:48 pm
Quote from: arkcat on April 14, 2005, 09:46:00 am
Alright folks, we are 1/2 way through spring practice and at this point what is your gut feeling for the upcoming football season?
Here's mine:
SMSU: Hogs 32 , SMSU 17 (we miss three extra points and one fg)
Vandy: Hogs 14, Vandy 17 (get caught looking past them to USC)
USC: Hogs 14, USC 28 (Closer than the experts think)
Bama: Hogs 24 Bama 27 (we show improvement on O and lead at the half but D is still worn out from USC game)
ULM Hogs 30 ULM 10 (Reggie gets the team on track)
Dawgs: Hogs 7 Dawgs 31(we get spanked)
SC: Hogs 17 Cocks 38 (welcome back Steve)
Ole Miss: Hogs 21 Ole Miss 17 (first road win)
MSU: Hogs 24 MSU 13 (D wins us the game)
LSU: Hogs 17 LSU 30 (They have too many horses)
End of the season: 4-6
Nutt gets fired and Broyles hires Reggie as HC. Rest of staff is fired.

I think the Vandy game will be HUGE because it is a game we should win but its one that because it is so early could really send a cloud over this season.
Not as off base as some seem to think.
I think an early loss to Vandy could happen.
I do think South Carolina will have problems. That game should be a W for the Hogs.
I agree that the USC game could be closer than some think it will be. Houston will have his team fired up for that one. Nothing to lose etc.
I think Ole Miss is an L.
Five to seven wins is my prediction. The seven would be the result of Darren McFadden having a big freshman year.
i think one of the key games is the burner contest at Fayetteville which the initial poster omitted from his speculation. I see the game at oxford as an L as well, a bowl bid or not could pend on the game vs Auburn

Pragmatic PiG

Quote from: ColoradoHawg on April 14, 2005, 02:38:32 pm
From my limited knowledge, the Miss. St. team that nearly beat us this year doesn't graduate many starters.
but Croom still has been cleaning house

they are at least 2 years away from being a factor, IMO

PennHOG

Doesn't anyone have any confidence in De'Arrius Howard?  Or, is everyone seeing McFadden as the next Adrian Peterson.

Pragmatic PiG

Quote from: Marty Houston's Boy on April 14, 2005, 12:53:33 pm
Did you watch the Bulldogs play last season?  I thought he threw the ball rather well.....could be wrong....He is nowhere near the passer Greene was, but he is not chopped liver either.....His athleticism will make up any passing deficiencies......He will be a much better option QB....besides, UGA will just pound the ball next season.

shockley has been biding his time on the bench waiting for a shot. I think he will suprise especially if Richt realizes that his team is set up to run the ball very effectively with an athletic QB plus 2 very good looking TB's, then use the play action pass for the big play thru the air.

they did lose their best recievers

Trolling around some SEC sites, seems like many fans don't think shockley will get it done, kinda similiar sentiment that was around this time last year when discussing Jason Cambell and Auburn

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: GaRZRBCK on April 14, 2005, 11:18:09 am
You need to step away from the crack pipe.  We will not lose to Vandy or SoCarolina and UGA isn't going to be nearly as good on the defensive side (lost D-coord and some bigtime players) or the offensive side (DJ Shockley is not that good) as they were the last few years.

Chris, I don't think someone has to be on crack to believe the Razorbacks sans Matt Jones might lose to South Carolina with Spurrier + also lose to Georgia on the road.  The Vandy thing, yeah, that's pretty wild, but I'd still expect a tough game.  They usually play hard in their SEC opener.  I just hope our offense shows up by midseason.  Have a feeling USC's defense will make us look inept.  It is not good to be unsettled on a starting QB.  You can't spread practice/scrimmage reps evenly among three players and have any one get enough work.  Sometimes Nutt's bet-hedging is counterproductive.  But in this case it's simply that he does not have anybody who stands out.

The thing Boise State has proven to college football is you don't have to have great talent to put together a great offense.  An intelligent, diverse scheme, deception and crisp execution will move the ball on virtually anyone.  If Boise can find QB after QB to run its system, it's not impossible for the Hogs to replace a QB.  Our QB history is not as bright though.
[CENSORED]!

LSUFan

What I would love to see, LSU and Arkansas undefeated going into the Battle for the Boot. I could scalp my tickets for more. ;D

Chief Mac

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on April 14, 2005, 03:35:31 pm
Quote from: GaRZRBCK on April 14, 2005, 11:18:09 am
You need to step away from the crack pipe. We will not lose to Vandy or SoCarolina and UGA isn't going to be nearly as good on the defensive side (lost D-coord and some bigtime players) or the offensive side (DJ Shockley is not that good) as they were the last few years.

Chris, I don't think someone has to be on crack to believe the Razorbacks sans Matt Jones might lose to South Carolina with Spurrier + also lose to Georgia on the road. The Vandy thing, yeah, that's pretty wild, but I'd still expect a tough game. They usually play hard in their SEC opener. I just hope our offense shows up by midseason. Have a feeling USC's defense will make us look inept. It is not good to be unsettled on a starting QB. You can't spread practice/scrimmage reps evenly among three players and have any one get enough work. Sometimes Nutt's bet-hedging is counterproductive. But in this case it's simply that he does not have anybody who stands out.

The thing Boise State has proven to college football is you don't have to have great talent to put together a great offense. An intelligent, diverse scheme, deception and crisp execution will move the ball on virtually anyone. If Boise can find QB after QB to run its system, it's not impossible for the Hogs to replace a QB. Our QB history is not as bright though.

I agree IF we don't have a QB step up, hell it may be a 3-8 type season but at this point I see the talent level at QB light years ahead of 2001 when a guy that will be drafted to play WR next week swooped in with an S on his chest and carried us.  One of the guys will step up. 

As far as UGA goes, hands down they will have the horses on both sides of the ball.  I see the type of talent that the state of Ga produces every year in mass quantity and it is just sickening! LOL  However that being said, UGA lost VanGorder and NO ONE should discount how he impacted the defense for UGA.  He was to UGA what all of us are expecting from Herring, a fire eating Gen Patton type that will have his troops busting through walls for him (of course with sound fundamentals and technique)  Toss in the fact that UGA also lost it's heart and soul (Pollack) and the defense, IMHO, will slip a notch or two.  UGA is only going to be as good as it's defense.  For all the hype of Richt be this great offensive guru, with the exception of their SEC Champ run, the offense has been rather pedestrian considering the amount of talent on that squad.  I've watched every UGA game the past few years and believe me, Shockley is talented, but if I were an UGA fan (like my wife) I would be nervous about putting the ball in Shockley's hands with the game on the line.  There was no way, before last year, Shockley warranted as much PT as he got.  He must have some compromising pics of Richt like Sorahan had on Nutt LOL
:-)

Mark it down, if UGA starts out slowly on the defensive side of the ball, they will not have a year that the UGA faithful is used to.  Will they lose 4+ games, no, but they will probably come in 3rd in the east.

WPS

Chris
"We spend two hundred and fifty billion dollars a year on defense and here we are....the fate of the planet in the hands of a bunch of retards I wouldn't trust with a potato gun!

Hoggysoprano

Quote from: mikeirwin on April 14, 2005, 03:02:22 pm
Isn't McFadden going to red shirt? I thought I read that he needed to bulk up in order to withstand the college punishment.
That's funny.
The top recruit they have is gonna redshirt at a time when they don't have jack at running back.
No, McFadden is not Fred Talley.
He plays somewhere between 205 and 210 and he's faster than light speed.
He's as heavy as he ever needs to be.
If they put weight on him they are crazy.

I agree 100%, you can't redshirt guys who might leave early for the NFL, that would really be stupid.  That reminds me of how Nutt didn't start Andrews from day 1 on the offensive line.

Gman

Here's the real deal:

SMSU: Hogs 17 , SMSU 7
Vandy: Hogs 28, Vandy 10
USC: Hogs 14, USC 38 (this is where it starts going downhill)
Bama: Hogs 14 Bama 27
ULM Hogs 24 ULM 7
Dawgs: Hogs 17 Dawgs 20
SC: Hogs 17 Cocks 20
Ole Miss:  Hogs 21 Ole Miss 17
MSU: Hogs 24 MSU 14
LSU: Hogs 10 LSU 24
End the season 5-5, still don't make a bowl
Maybe 6-5 if we get a good strong start from our defense, but don't expect much on offense this year.

Pragmatic PiG

Quote from: Gman on April 14, 2005, 09:58:22 pm
Here's the real deal:

SMSU: Hogs 17 , SMSU 7
Vandy: Hogs 28, Vandy 10
USC: Hogs 14, USC 38 (this is where it starts going downhill)
Bama: Hogs 14 Bama 27
ULM Hogs 24 ULM 7
Dawgs: Hogs 17 Dawgs 20
SC: Hogs 17 Cocks 20
Ole Miss:  Hogs 21 Ole Miss 17
MSU: Hogs 24 MSU 14
LSU: Hogs 10 LSU 24
End the season 5-5, still don't make a bowl
Maybe 6-5 if we get a good strong start from our defense, but don't expect much on offense this year.

what about the burner game?

Swino

QuoteOr, is everyone seeing McFadden as the next Adrian Peterson.

No sane person should expect McFadden to be anything close to Peterson.  Expect him to be good, but Peterson is a once in a generation running back.  Our RB situation is going to be strange next year.  We will have power runners and scat backs with a big difference seperating the two.  The question is which type of RB will thrive with this years O-line? 

jabohog

PerryHog

Before the Herring hire, I felt 4-7. Now I think 6-5. No way we beat usc, bama, georgia. Might beat lsu, since Miles probably won't be able yet to believe we'll run the draw on 3rd and 89.

Chief Mac

Quote from: PerryHog on April 15, 2005, 05:03:01 am
Before the Herring hire, I felt 4-7. Now I think 6-5. No way we beat usc, bama, georgia. Might beat lsu, since Miles probably won't be able yet to believe we'll run the draw on 3rd and 89.

UGA MIGHT not be as good as you think, Bama could go either way.  Realistically, I see 7-4 maybe 8-3. 

WPS

Chris
"We spend two hundred and fifty billion dollars a year on defense and here we are....the fate of the planet in the hands of a bunch of retards I wouldn't trust with a potato gun!

Gman

Quote from: jabohog on April 14, 2005, 10:57:24 pm
Gman, you left out Auburn!
No, I didn't leave out Auburn.  We are going to scale back the season due to injuries on the O-line...

PennHOG

Quote from: bigpigpimpin on April 15, 2005, 01:53:23 am
hogs 35  smsu 0   :)           reggie! reggie! reggie!
hogs 35  vandy 17  :)         its vandy
usc 31  hogs 21  :-[           trojans dominate, but hogs make it respectable late 
hogs 28 bama 24  :)          shula's hot seat is starting to burn
hogs 21 auburn 10 :) hillis is a beast, you had a cadillac, we got a peterbilt
hogs 35  ulm 24    :-X        hogs play poorly, but still get win
hogs 28  uga 21     :o        upset of the year for us
hogs 21 cocks 17      ;D     Spurriers offense struggles some, this year......
hogs 56 ole miss 17   :D     ass whippin of the year
hogs 24 msu 21     :)         croom's crew is tough buisness, whew....
lsu 28  hogs 14     :'(         this will dry up a wet dream

9-2, 2nd in the west, cotton bowl birth vs texas a+m.

this happens because lsu wins west, tennessee wins east. tennessee beats lsu in sec title game, thus sending....

tennessee: sugar bowl
                  lsu: capitol one bowl
                  florida: outback bowl
                  georgia: peach bowl
                  arkansas: cotton bowl
                  s. carolina: peach bowl
                  alabama: independence bowl
                  auburn: music city bowl 

Now that's some bold predictions!  Nice work!

bknight33

Arkansas 27 Southwest Mo State 3
Arkansas 14 Vanderbilt 10
Arkansas 14 USC 45
Arkansas 13 Alabama 23
Arkansas 10 Auburn 6
Arkansas 21 ULM 0
Arkansas 7  UGA 31
Arkanasas 29 SCarolina 28  OT
Arkansas 13  Ole Miss 17
Arkansas 17  Miss State 10
Arkansas 13  LSU 24

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: GaRZRBCK on April 15, 2005, 05:46:59 am
Quote from: PerryHog on April 15, 2005, 05:03:01 am

UGA MIGHT not be as good as you think, Bama could go either way. Realistically, I see 7-4 maybe 8-3.

WPS

Chris

Georgia could be a lot less tough and still beat us at their place.  The home/road swing is massive.  Take last year's team + Herring and go to Georgia this year, maybe we win.  This year's defense ought to be better than last year's, but that's after losing Huckeba and Dixon.  I bet last year's defense w/Herring would have been better than this year's w/Herring.

If we have a QB competent enough to keep us out of third downs usually, make plays on third downs sometimes, and not turn over the ball period, then I can see us giving Georgia fits.  One big problem is Georgia usually has a great kicking game, and ours gets worse by the year.
[CENSORED]!

tophawg19

running game & short passing game should be fine .the long ball is where i'm most worried .
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

PennHOG

Check out this thread from last spring and the football predictions.  arkcat is pretty much right on so far. 

http://www.hogville.net/yabbse/index.php?topic=19120.0

I love the one about Nutt being the best coach we've had in a long time.

Thunderhog Jr

:razorback:Do you think he looked at the magic 8 ball?
WPS  <br />Remember the days when we were a national power??  What the Hell happened?

hawkeyefan17

It is interesting to read now how confident everyone was about the Vanderbilt game and I do remember a lot of people thinking Arkansas would beat Alabama as well.

junkyardhog

Damn, how things change in just 6 months. :(

I was predicting Nutt to win 9 games. I supported him in every way. Now, I just want him gone and NO ONE was predicting this bad a season.

Ark Blitz

If we have a QB competent enough to keep us out of third downs usually, make plays on third downs sometimes, and not turn over the ball period, then I can see us giving Georgia fits. One big problem is Georgia usually has a great kicking game, and ours gets worse by the year.

And where are we going to get this QB from?  Georgia is going to give us fits.  They have athletes and gamebreakers and we don't.  They have a huge offense and defensive line and we don't.  They have a good QB and we don't.  This equals a big fat "L"

sooie dog

Quote from: hawkeyefan17 on October 19, 2005, 02:34:31 pm
It is interesting to read now how confident everyone was about the Vanderbilt game and I do remember a lot of people thinking Arkansas would beat Alabama as well.

Nutt should have been fired on the spot.  As far as Bama goes we have done pretty well against them the last few years.  No reason not be optimistic about that game before we lost to Vandy.

Razorback Jedi

looks like the thread starter was spot on thus far (minus leaving out the Allbarn game).

cityhog

I guess those predictions are indicitive of what happens when you throw a tarp up over the gates to close practice off from the public.

Razorback Jedi

Quote from: cityhog on October 19, 2005, 03:03:12 pm
I guess those predictions are indicitive of what happens when you throw a tarp up over the gates to close practice off from the public.

Most of those predictions would've remaind the same regardless of practice being closed or not. It's called "blind optimism".

MJ2

Wow- unfortunately my April predictions were too high...

Unfortunately, I think we will see how much MJ meant to us this year and we end up @ 5 & 6.  Then I think HDN leaves on his own for another equivalent job, possibly in the Big 12.   The heat will be on from Frank and us fans.

I don't think Reggie will be a candidate.   I can see someone like Butch Davis taking a $1M per year contract just to get back in the college ranks.