Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Sping time fb predictions

Started by arkcat, April 14, 2005, 09:46:00 am

Previous topic - Next topic

arkcat

Alright folks, we are 1/2 way through spring practice and at this point what is your gut feeling for the upcoming football season?
Here's mine:
SMSU: Hogs 32 , SMSU 17 (we miss three extra points and one fg)
Vandy: Hogs 14, Vandy 17 (get caught looking past them to USC)
USC: Hogs 14, USC 28 (Closer than the experts think)
Bama: Hogs 24 Bama 27 (we show improvement on O and lead at the half but D is still worn out from USC game)
ULM Hogs 30 ULM 10 (Reggie gets the team on track)
Dawgs: Hogs 7 Dawgs 31(we get spanked)
SC: Hogs 17 Cocks 38 (welcome back Steve)
Ole Miss:  Hogs 21 Ole Miss 17 (first road win)
MSU: Hogs 24 MSU 13 (D wins us the game)
LSU: Hogs 17 LSU 30 (They have too many horses)
End of the season: 4-6
Nutt gets fired and Broyles hires Reggie as HC.  Rest of staff is fired.

I think the Vandy game will be HUGE because it is a game we should win but its one that because it is so early could really send a cloud over this season.

Chief Mac

Quote from: arkcat on April 14, 2005, 09:46:00 am
Alright folks, we are 1/2 way through spring practice and at this point what is your gut feeling for the upcoming football season?
Here's mine:
Bama: Hogs 24 Bama 27 (we show improvement on O and lead at the half but D is still worn out from USC game)
Ole Miss: Hogs 21 Ole Miss 17 (first road win)
Nutt gets fired and Broyles hires Reggie as HC. Rest of staff is fired.

I think the Vandy game will be HUGE because it is a game we should win but its one that because it is so early could really send a cloud over this season.

You need to step away from the crack pipe.  We will not lose to Vandy or SoCarolina and UGA isn't going to be nearly as good on the defensive side (lost D-coord and some bigtime players) or the offensive side (DJ Shockley is not that good) as they were the last few years.

WPS

Chris
"We spend two hundred and fifty billion dollars a year on defense and here we are....the fate of the planet in the hands of a bunch of retards I wouldn't trust with a potato gun!

HighOnHogs

arkcat, with a prediction like that you may want to investigate other activities for this football season.  Save yourself from all the miserable hog performances.

bknight33

Playing Vandy early and prior to a monumentous opponent will be tough, but the Hogs should prevail with defense.....

Arkansas 14
Vandy 10

SonOfMud

Here's mine:

He may actually be closer then the 8 wins guys out there.  We don't have any clue if this offense can move the balll against an SEC quality defense.  This offense could look like the Hog vs. UNLV offense of 4 years ago, but with out an MJ to come in and save the season.  Could be very scary.
"They were like brothers to me, and when I say 'brother', I don't mean like a literal brother.  I mean it the way black people use it, which is more meaningful, I think."

Pragmatic PiG

Here's mine:
Ole Miss:  Hogs 21 Ole Miss 17 (first road win)
Nutt gets fired and Broyles hires Reggie as HC.  Rest of staff is fired.

how do you finish with 10 games? You forgot the burner game at Fayetteville.  you have the hogs at 4-7, or 5-6

I can see a 5 win season easily, that should put a stop to the hdn era anyways. I too have a bad feeling about the vandy game. I think the hogs will have a better shot at beating the gamecocks this year than beating ole pizz on the road. hogs can't win in oxford....

The game vs the trojans may "be closer than the experts predict" but they will still beat the hogs by more than 2 TDS, more like 4.

VT HOG

Hogs 44, SMSU 10
Hogs 31 Vandy 14, I dont see how we lose to them at home their QB is pretty good tho so we see what are D can do with 4 sacks.

USC-31, Hogs 28 Leinart leads them down the field in the last minute they get a game winning field goa
Bama 24, Hogs 17 Their D is dang good, and next year the'll have a passing game to go with that running game we couldnt stop last year.
Hogs-34, ULM 3 Our D doesnt give up much at all they make a field goal off a turnover.
Hogs- 21, Auburn 10 Auburn lost almost everyone and not counting the last two years we always play well against them.
Hogs 35 UGA-28 The offense finally has a good game against a quailty opponet.  We are playing very well at this point.
Hogs 31 So. Carolina 21 We step up big expecially Hillis after his fumble last year against them he has something to prove.
Hogs 38, MSU 10 MSU is still one year away from being able to compete we spank them at home.
LSU 35, Hogs 21 We play well it is a lot better than the past two seasons against them. They just have too much talent.

That gives us a record of 8-3(6-2) we finished tied for 2nd in the West with LSU. This will be a really good season considering we're going to have a bunch of players back in 2006 when we could make a run at the BCS, but this year we end up going to the Music City Bowl.

PennHOG

April 14, 2005, 12:24:32 pm #7 Last Edit: April 14, 2005, 12:39:39 pm by PennHOG
Here's mine:

That's a pretty pessimistic look at things.  I think we have some horses on offense.  Hillis, Howard, Monk.  I think we have a really good O line.  If we can run it down most people's throat, then that will lessen the amount of decisions the QBs must make.  I think we'll be in most games all year unless we can't run on them.

I'll throw out a guess.
SMSU: Hogs 48 , SMSU 15 (We work out the kinks by the end of the third quarter)
Vandy: Hogs 30, Vandy 6 (Please!  This is Vandy!)
USC: Hogs 6, USC 48 (We'll be begging for this to end by the second quarter)
Auburn: Hogs 17, Auburn 14 (Win in a close one)
ULM Hogs 52 ULM 3 (ULM stinks!  Alex will get some playing time)
Bama: Hogs 10 Bama 13 (defensive struggle)
Dawgs: Hogs 27 Dawgs 21(They aren't as good as last year)
SC: Hogs 17 Cocks 16 (will be a heart breaker for the ole ball coach)
Ole Miss: Hogs 27 Ole Miss 12 (Hogs starting to think about winning SEC West)
MSU: Hogs 31 MSU 21 (Not yet Croom)
LSU: Hogs 9 LSU 34 (Back to reality)

8-3 and the outback bowl.
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep just like my grandfather, and not like the screaming passengers in his car!

bknight33

I can tell you one thing right now, Georgia will dominate Arkansas between the hedges......RB's are back, Shockey is a lot better than anyone we have on campus IMO......that prediction makes no sense at all.  But I agree with the 7-4 prediction........SCarolina has lost way too many people to be competetive next season.....

The Rub

arkcat, people said the same thing last year when I accurately predicted a 5-6 season right after the fall scrimmage.  4-6 would be a tough season but I don't see us winning more than 6 games.  Hope I am wrong.
You need to find a girlfriend whose name does not end in jpg.

ColoradoHawg

Quote from: Marty Houston's Boy on April 14, 2005, 12:28:32 pm
I can tell you one thing right now, Georgia will dominate Arkansas between the hedges......RB's are back, Shockey is a lot better than anyone we have on campus IMO......that prediction makes no sense at all. But I agree with the 7-4 prediction........SCarolina has lost way too many people to be competetive next season.....

Have to disagree with you there champ...we don't know how good Rob Johnson is, or the freshmen quarterbacks are. DJ Shockley is a good athlete, but he's like Mike Vick: Put someone who can run him down on him as a spy....maybe blitz a safety every other play and keep him on his heels. He doesn't throw the ball that well.

ColoradoHawg

Here's mine:

NO WAY THEY FIRE HOUSTON!!!!!!!!!! THEY FIRE HOUSTON I'LL NEVER WATCH HOG FOOTBALL AGAIN!!!!!!

bknight33

Quote from: ColoradoHawg on April 14, 2005, 12:47:37 pm
Quote from: Marty Houston's Boy on April 14, 2005, 12:28:32 pm
I can tell you one thing right now, Georgia will dominate Arkansas between the hedges......RB's are back, Shockey is a lot better than anyone we have on campus IMO......that prediction makes no sense at all. But I agree with the 7-4 prediction........SCarolina has lost way too many people to be competetive next season.....

Have to disagree with you there champ...we don't know how good Rob Johnson is, or the freshmen quarterbacks are. DJ Shockley is a good athlete, but he's like Mike Vick: Put someone who can run him down on him as a spy....maybe blitz a safety every other play and keep him on his heels. He doesn't throw the ball that well.

Precisely...we don't know how good he is....Shockey showed me some real good stuff last year....plus the kid was willing to stay and compete with Greene instead of transferring...to me that says a lot about his character.....Besides the QB situation, the hogs are terrible on the road....ColoradoHawg, you would rather have an unproven QB than Shockey??

HornetHog

Hornet's Prediction.......

New QB(x-baseball player) has a break out season after other QB's peter out......Big 22(RB) has a great start running the ball and creates a 9 in the box situation that puts a short passing game into effect.......this results into Ark burning a lot of clock and keeping scores low and close......Hog D comes to life.

(cough. cough..........hey SonOfMud, just one more hit and I'll pass it over)

Not only that but Hogs give USC a game that they won't soon forget.

Gentleman, we will have a fun year...........8+ wins

HH

Just as smart as all the other smartarses on here

ColoradoHawg

I would rather have an unproven quarterback than a QB that has proven himself to be vulnerable to.....passing the ball..

ColoradoHawg

A prediction for the USC game...... Trojans backfield runs for 350....

bknight33

Did you watch the Bulldogs play last season?  I thought he threw the ball rather well.....could be wrong....He is nowhere near the passer Greene was, but he is not chopped liver either.....His athleticism will make up any passing deficiencies......He will be a much better option QB....besides, UGA will just pound the ball next season.

ColoradoHawg

Agree with you there. My point is, blitz Shockley and make him throw on the run. Keep him on his heels. Have a linebacker give him a few good pops to make him scared of the defense. Shockley is TERRIBLE with just a tiny bit of defensive pressure.

ColoradoHawg

Quote from: Marty Houston's Boy on April 14, 2005, 12:53:33 pm
Did you watch the Bulldogs play last season? I thought he threw the ball rather well.....could be wrong....He is nowhere near the passer Greene was, but he is not chopped liver either.....His athleticism will make up any passing deficiencies......He will be a much better option QB....besides, UGA will just pound the ball next season.

Only watched UGA LSU....and if I remember correctly, he was terrible. Could've been '03 though.

PennHOG

I just can't see the Hogs giving an experienced and ultra talented USC (california not carolina) team any trouble.  We'll be like a ULM on their schedule.  Sure we've got some talent but they're semi-pro (or at least they're probably paid that way)
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep just like my grandfather, and not like the screaming passengers in his car!

bknight33

He was not very good before last season.....In his defense, it is hard to be when you are getting so few reps, et.....He showed some real flashes last season....played well against Tennessee.....but I just see what Johnson did last season when we threw him in their, therefore I really doubt he or anyone we have on campus can get the job done.....that is why these are spring predictions because we are going on what we know....which basically is nothing right now.

ColoradoHawg

I agree
Quote from: Marty Houston's Boy on April 14, 2005, 01:00:29 pm
He was not very good before last season.....In his defense, it is hard to be when you are getting so few reps, et.....He showed some real flashes last season....played well against Tennessee.....but I just see what Johnson did last season when we threw him in their, therefore I really doubt he or anyone we have on campus can get the job done.....that is why these are spring predictions because we are going on what we know....which basically is nothing right now.

Which I agree with you on. But I think our backfield will be better than theirs.

bknight33

You think we have two better than Ware and Brown?

junkyardhog

I would LOVE to beat Georgia. I am always concerned when we play them. They spank us every darned time!!!!

ColoradoHawg

Quote from: Marty Houston's Boy on April 14, 2005, 01:11:20 pm
You think we have two better than Ware and Brown?

Yes. I had the errr, privilege of being run over by D'Arrius Howard in high school, and I can say it is very hard to take him down. Peyton Hillis is worth his weight in gold, and  the freshman from Little Rock will get some carries. Makes up for it right there. Ware and Brown are cancelled out. But, we come down to the X Factor, DJ SHockley. Razorbacks contain him, we win.

arkcat

You may think I'm nuts but when you look at where we are right now with this offense that has an unexperienced underclassman at qb, only one rb with any real experience, and an offensive line that has not worked out as a starting unit yet this Spring not to mention the kicking situation...I JUST DON'T SEE HOW WE ARE GOING TO SCORE POINTS!

ColoradoHawg

Easy answer to that....DEFENSE!!!!!!

PennHOG

Well, that will be the key.  Getting the O line healthy and in good shape. 

HighOnHogs

We'll go bowling this year. That's about as much as I can assure you.  I think we have as good a shot in the west as any other team.  It's going to be tough this year for any of the west teams to run away with the division.  But if our defense is better and the QB situation pans out well, I believe we can win it.

PennHOG

I remember one RB that showed some real burst in one game.  Who was that?  He wiped his hamstring out that same game that he played in.

HogFanLR

Healthy O line is the Key.  If it comes into the fall in good shape I think the Offense will be ok.  Better by end of year with QB development but Hillis and the O line should be solid. 

This year may be better then many expect.  I would be pleased with 6 or 7 wins.  I would be disappointed with less than 6.  However, HDN survives regardless.  (IMO)  Caveat unless we start strong and end in a whimper.  If the team develops throughout the year the record will not matter much on HDN job. 

Hoggysoprano

Quote from: ColoradoHawg on April 14, 2005, 12:48:37 pm
Here's mine:

NO WAY THEY FIRE HOUSTON!!!!!!!!!! THEY FIRE HOUSTON I'LL NEVER WATCH HOG FOOTBALL AGAIN!!!!!!

I guess you may have to find another team to watch Grandma.

ColoradoHawg

Grandma? I'm 18 years old!!!!!!!!

Of course I'll still watch the Hogs, but I'd be really pissed if they fired Nutt

MJ2

Unfortunately, I think we will see how much MJ meant to us this year and we end up @ 5 & 6.  Then I think HDN leaves on his own for another equivalent job, possibly in the Big 12.   The heat will be on from Frank and us fans.

I don't think Reggie will be a candidate.   I can see someone like Butch Davis taking a $1M per year contract just to get back in the college ranks.

hawgfan_18

ok WTH,  i see us losing to UGA before LSU.  LSU is a completely different team, same players but a new coaching staff, we have a better chance beating LSU than UGA, i mean seriously

Hoggysoprano

Quote from: MJ2 on April 14, 2005, 01:52:25 pm
Unfortunately, I think we will see how much MJ meant to us this year and we end up @ 5 & 6. Then I think HDN leaves on his own for another equivalent job, possibly in the Big 12.

So where you thinking Nutt will go? Baylor or Kansas? ;D

ColoradoHawg

Quote from: hawgfan_18 on April 14, 2005, 01:55:25 pm
ok WTH, i see us losing to UGA before LSU. LSU is a completely different team, same players but a new coaching staff, we have a better chance beating LSU than UGA, i mean seriously

I say we beat both of them. UGA will be tough, but we'll pull out a <7 point win.

PennHOG

Quote from: ColoradoHawg on April 14, 2005, 01:57:00 pm
ok WTH, i see us losing to UGA before LSU. LSU is a completely different team, same players but a new coaching staff, we have a better chance beating LSU than UGA, i mean seriously

I say we beat both of them. UGA will be tough, but we'll pull out a <7 point win.

Please tell me how you got to the dreamland you're in 'cause I want to go too!

hawgfan_18

people act like les miles is steve spurrier or something, this LSU team will be nothing like the last couple of years,  i really think we beat LSU at LSU, But UGA i don't know, we've really never been close to beating them in like the past 8 years, i guess you could count last year, but UGA beat us alot worse than the score showed.

ColoradoHawg

EXACTLY!!!!!!!!!! They beat us alot worse than the score showed, with David Greene, Pollack, Brown, Thomas Davis, etc...

ColoradoHawg

Quote from: PennHOG on April 14, 2005, 01:59:22 pm

Did anyone predict USC beating Oklahoma 55-19?

PennHOG

Quote from: ColoradoHawg on April 14, 2005, 02:04:25 pm
Quote from: PennHOG on April 14, 2005, 01:59:22 pm

Did anyone predict USC beating Oklahoma 55-19?

I'm failing to see the point.

ColoradoHawg

People din't see that stomping coming. On paper, UGA may be better than us, but it all comes down to who wants it more, and I think that Houston will put a fire under his guys asses this year to win this game.

PennHOG

I think that came down to superior coaching, defense, and QB leadership.  Matt Leinhart had too much time to prepare.  But your right.  Nobody saw it coming.  Except for last year, Arkansas usually surpises at least one really good team.  I think that Georgia will be that team.  However, I think the LSU game will be a disaster.  I don't care who the coach is. 

ColoradoHawg

I think Arkansas wins the LSU game by >7. Everyone is gone except for Justin Vincent.

pigfoot

At best, I see a 5 - 6 season.  The five wins comes against SMSU, Vandy, ULM, MSU, and Old Miss (and a Vandy win may be a stretch).  We'll have a new HC, but it won't be Reggie.  Depending on JFB's health, HDN may be the new AD.  If so, the new head coach will be close to a carbon copy of Nutt.  Sadly, not much relief in sight.
"...the word, even the most contradictory word, preserves contact.  It is silence which isolates."  Thomas Mann

PennHOG

OK, Colorado Hog.  Make your predictions for all the games.  We'll see who's right eventually.  I hope your right of course.  But I'm not that optimistic.  Usually by Nov. 26 we are too beat up to compete and we just don't have enough depth.

ColoradoHawg

You're out of your mind...Houston wouln't quit on this young team, and Broyles know all the flack he'd catch for firing the best coach we've had in awhile.

PennHOG

Another 5 win season and Houston may be wearing out his welcome.

ColoradoHawg

Game 1: W 35-13
Game 2: W 24-14
Game 3: L  42-21
Game 4: W 17-10
Game 5: W 31-10
Game 6: W 14-10
Game 7: W 23-17
Game 8: W 28-10
Game 9: L 24-17
Game 10: W 27-24