Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

If the Malzahn deal is done...

Started by NuttsSacked, October 14, 2005, 11:39:28 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

NuttsSacked

October 14, 2005, 11:39:28 pm Last Edit: October 15, 2005, 12:02:45 am by NuttsSacked
Who hired him and why?  I simply don't see Nutt giving up his offense without JFB having quietly whispered in his ear "You have no choice if you want to remain here". 

Perhaps Frank knows HDN won't accept Gus.  Is JFB giving lip service to the media and fans in support of Nutt, while knowing HDN will quit over this hire?  I know the university doesn't want to buy another coaching contract out. 

I ask again...who's responsible for hiring Gus and how long can Nutt live with it?           

mackdaddy

Apparently the deal is HDN offered the R'back coaches job to Gus. D.Nutt will retire due to health reasons.
I loaned my truck to dixie, and warned her about the stearin' she said the roads weren't icy, but that's not what I wuz' hearin'. She puts her make-up on in the passing lane with a sugical precision, while on the cell-phone to help her little sister with a tuff boy friend decision. She was racin' to the hairdresser to have her tighten up her curls, for the weekly pigggly wiggly BBQ with the other checkout girls. She wuz worried that her claw would go flat and poke her in the eye, when she started roundin dead man's curve with hot coffee between her thighs.....
And my dixie wrecked....my dixie wrecked... my dixie wrecked on saturday night & I'm all alone....

mikeirwin

I'm told that Broyles and Lindsey both believe that Gus is a rare find. An organizational genius who can win on any level. JFB knows a thing or two about assistant coaches. He hired guys like Joe Gibbs, Barry Switzer, Jimmy Johnson (list too long to mention). They think that Malzahn is the right man at the right time for this football program.
If you are in LR come Monday check out Malzahn at the LR Touchdown Club Luncheon. See how good he is at avoiding giving an answer to certain obvious questions.

Fatty McGee

The fact that Broyles and Lindsey are hiring assistant coaches speaks volumes about what is wrong with this football program.
Bandit: Hey wait a minute, wait a minute. Why do you want that beer so bad?
Little Enos: Cause he's thirsty, dummy!

NuttsSacked

Quote from: mackdaddy on October 14, 2005, 11:49:17 pm
Apparently the deal is HDN offered the R'back coaches job to Gus. D.Nutt will retire due to health reasons.

In that case, I'll revert to the original idea...Nutt hired Gus in order to land Mustain.  Regardless, Nutt doesn't hire anyone without a blessing from whoever's running the show up there. 

Who gave him that blessing? 

mikeirwin

Quote from: Fatty McGee on October 15, 2005, 12:00:56 am
The fact that Broyles and Lindsey are hiring assistant coaches speaks volumes about what is wrong with this football program.
Actually it's done a lot. Not usual at all for the AD to suggest the hiring of certain assistants when the team  in question is not winning. It's the last step before firing the head coach.

Fatty McGee

The difference is I don't think this is the last step before firing.  Considering this is the second year it has happened.  And does it ever work?  I can't think of a time it has - can you?

Although the alternative of kicking Nutt upstairs to the AD job is almost worse than keeping him as coach.
Bandit: Hey wait a minute, wait a minute. Why do you want that beer so bad?
Little Enos: Cause he's thirsty, dummy!

NuttsSacked

Quote from: mikeirwin on October 14, 2005, 11:59:42 pm
I'm told that Broyles and Lindsey both believe that Gus is a rare find. An organizational genius who can win on any level. JFB knows a thing or two about assistant coaches. He hired guys like Joe Gibbs, Barry Switzer, Jimmy Johnson (list too long to mention). They think that Malzahn is the right man at the right time for this football program.
If you are in LR come Monday check out Malzahn at the LR Touchdown Club Luncheon. See how good he is at avoiding giving an answer to certain obvious questions.

I'm not knocking Gus and, as you say, Broyles and Lindsey like him.  My question is, how does Nutt feel about all this?

NuttsSacked

Quote from: pseudorabies on October 15, 2005, 12:12:24 am
Quote from: NuttsSacked on October 15, 2005, 12:08:13 am

I'm not knocking Gus and, as you say, Broyles and Lindsey like him. My question is, how does Nutt feel about all this?

Does it really matter how he feels? If Nutt wants to be here and keep his job, he will like it. If he tries to buck the system, I bet is he will be gone. Nutt is too smart for that, he will say all the right things and go along with it to save face and his job. I am hearing that Markuson is giving Nutt more problems than he wants right now. This may be the reason its being leaked out so that when Markuson is let go or leaves people will buy into what is going on more.

His feelings matter to me.  I hope he's uncomfortable as hell and seeks employment elsewhere.

mikeirwin

He's been planning to hire Gus for a while. I think he realizes he should have done it two years ago.

NuttsSacked

Quote from: mikeirwin on October 15, 2005, 12:17:41 am
He's been planning to hire Gus for a while. I think he realizes he should have done it two years ago.

Now that the Springdale 5 have become the Springdale 2?  Nutt's whole coaching career has been defined by should have's.   

e_dub

I'm not trying to take up for FB, but is there not an award for an assistant coach each year named after him? If Broyles is responsible for Gus's hire, doesn't the fact that he is known for his sucessful assistant coaches make a difference? Maybe his status as a "visionary" will be once last served by a great decision for the razorback offense in this hiring before he retires.  One can only hope.  I sure do.  :razorback:

dirty stanchez

Quote from: e_dub on October 15, 2005, 12:47:56 am
I'm not trying to take up for FB, but is there not an award for an assistant coach each year named after him? If Broyles is responsible for Gus's hire, doesn't the fact that he is known for his sucessful assistant coaches make a difference? Maybe his status as a "visionary" will be once last served by a great decision for the razorback offense in this hiring before he retires. One can only hope. I sure do. :razorback:

Before I got to the end of your post, I was thinking "one can only hope."

You said it for me.

Anyway, Frank is probably the greatest cfb coach of all time when it comes to spotting talent in assistant coaches.  If he thinks that Malzahn is the Real McCoy, then it's hard for me to disagree with JFB.

Chief Mac

Quote from: Fatty McGee on October 15, 2005, 12:06:57 am
The difference is I don't think this is the last step before firing.  Considering this is the second year it has happened.  And does it ever work? I can't think of a time it has - can you?

Although the alternative of kicking Nutt upstairs to the AD job is almost worse than keeping him as coach.
Wholesale staff changes worked out pretty good for Tuberville.  Maybe JFB thinks this can work for Nutt as well.  Why not just bring Gus in with Butch and send HDN out to pasture?

WPS

Chris
"We spend two hundred and fifty billion dollars a year on defense and here we are....the fate of the planet in the hands of a bunch of retards I wouldn't trust with a potato gun!

dirty stanchez

Hopefully Frank messes with HDN enough in terms of telling him to hire and fire, like he did with my avatar, to the point of HDN being a man, saying "no" and leaving town.

I dream.

HogFansReunited

Wow...I must really be missing too much news.  I never heard that it was official that we were getting Malzhan.  I am glad it happened.  Hopefully he will step up to OC position and show Nutt how to run an offence.
My girl told me to whisper something sexy in her ear...so I leaned in and said....Dominic Fletcher.

Quote from: WorfHog on April 05, 2019, 11:26:00 pm
Remember when Auburn dog piled AND THEY LOST!

Member #3568

Lando Calrissian

Quote from: FireNuttI never heard that it was official that we were getting Malzhan.

It's not necessarily "official" yet, but as some of the previous posts have mentioned it's pretty clear where Malzahn will be next season.

Some might criticize the risk involved, but it is quite obvious that Malzahn has aspirations much higher than being a career high school coach.

The bottom-line is, you don't let somebody like that get away.

Like Mike said: Gibbs, Switzer, Jimmy Johnson...those guys are monumental names in the overall history of football (both college and pro).  They didn't just appear out of thin air and start winning Superbowls. 

Somebody, somewhere gave them a shot.

And as far as I'm concerned, the talent we have on offense (on paper) really isn't all that bad.  The offensive product on the field is just inexcusable though. 

Malzahn might not call the plays next season, but I guarantee you if he's on the staff there will be some noticeable changes. 

This might be one instance where Frank hasn't gone completely psychotic.

Quote from: Breems

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=haGfGkX-MbA&feature=youtube_gdata

Quote from: HawgBallLvrKentucky would be in the same position right now at #1 even with Pel as their HC.

Quote from: IronHogJohn Stockton wouldn't sniff today's NBA.

Quote from: jacksonpollackEvery time I look around in BWA I get dizzy. It is hard to judge the capacity. During the Auburn game I tried to count all the people in attendance but got lost at around 30,000.

rathog1

Quote from: mikeirwin on October 15, 2005, 12:06:06 am

It's the last step before firing the head coach.

Has this step ever worked? I can remember hundreds of coaches being forced to hire assistants but can't remember a single one of them succeeding after that.
Hogking 7-09-05
11:42:25 PM
this will be a 1998 type season maybe better

Feralhog

October 15, 2005, 06:57:12 am #18 Last Edit: October 15, 2005, 07:03:30 am by Feralhog
Quote from: rathog1 on October 15, 2005, 06:49:47 am

Has this step ever worked? I can remember hundreds of coaches being forced to hire assistants but can't remember a single one of them succeeding after that.

Teletubby was forced to hire an OC.   I'd say that worked out.  
Seer, Sage, Soothsayer and former Computer repairman for Hunter Biden......Feralhog the Magnificent

rathog1

Quote from: Feralhog on October 15, 2005, 06:57:12 am

Teletubby was forced to hire an OC. I'd say that worked out.   

I don't follow Auburn Football so I might be wrong but I don't remember it happening that way. Auburn had an OC in 03 who they moved to Oline coach. They then hired Borges.
Hogking 7-09-05

Feralhog

And maybe I'm wrong, but it is my understanding that Ears was the OC who called his own plays up until last season. 
Seer, Sage, Soothsayer and former Computer repairman for Hunter Biden......Feralhog the Magnificent

beachhawg

Not critisizing what is going on in this post, but what makes anyone think that Gus is beig offered a job by the U of A?  I really don't think that D Nutt is leaving.  I don't think his health is an issue right now or he would have already given up his job a couple of years ago.  Look at him on the sidelines, pregame, etc.  He has no health issue by appearance and action that would warrant him giving up his job. 
Gus may or may not be a good hire, but I think we would be served better with some college experience if Broyles is indeed forcing aother assistant in the program. 
I think I will just wait for that announcement.  I will be real surprised if Gus is name the OC

DevilHog

It is done. There is not a question about it. Gus is on the staff next year and will call the plays. Game managment is our biggest problem areas. Gus can manage a game. It will be a good hire and he will be a good fit.

jblack19

He will be a good addition to the staff. From what I've heard he has the right stuff! Just what the program needs. GO HOGS!  :razorback:

krack1925

seems to me Joe Pa was "encouraged" to hire and OC at penn St last year.....  seems ok to me.  thing is Nutt will over rule anyone calling aggressive plays in the redzone.  He is a micromanager. 

BTW.... is this offical????  I don't think it is a done deal.

Kevin n Hog Heaven

I was just thinking the same thing krack! I dont get why everyone is having such a hard time believing that a high school coach coming into the sec is so hard to believe. I mean we hired HDN from the high school conference. Only difference I see is that Gus has actual coaching talent.

Cajun Hog

Quote from: NuttsSacked on October 15, 2005, 12:25:06 am
Quote from: mikeirwin on October 15, 2005, 12:17:41 am

Now that the Springdale 5 have become the Springdale 2? Nutt's whole coaching career has been defined by should haves.

The Springdale five will be the Springdale three, when it's all said and done.  ;D

Cajun Hog

Quote from: hogapalooza on October 15, 2005, 11:02:56 am
Actually it's done a lot. Not usual at all for the AD to suggest the hiring of certain assistants when the team in question is not winning. It's the last step before firing the head coach.
DAM,.......... he's staying.......

FIRE HDN!!!

That's been know for a long time.

HogFansReunited

I hope they make it official soon.  Once that happens some of the other Springdale kids might change their mind and come to Arkansas.
My girl told me to whisper something sexy in her ear...so I leaned in and said....Dominic Fletcher.

Quote from: WorfHog on April 05, 2019, 11:26:00 pm
Remember when Auburn dog piled AND THEY LOST!

Member #3568

rathog1

Quote from: opineonswine on October 15, 2005, 08:14:40 am

Of course, Wilson Matthews for one. Darrell Royal hired an asst from Texas HS and if I'm not mistaken made him DC from the get go. I'm sure there are others. But none of that matters. You just have to know Gus and seen him in action. He will excell in college.

I think you misunderstand! I'm talking about a coach on the hot seat FORCED by threat of their employment to make changes. 

Quote from: Feralhog on October 15, 2005, 06:57:12 am

Teletubby was forced to hire an OC. I'd say that worked out.   

I asked this over on one of the Allbarn boards and got this answer.

"To the best of my knowledge, no one pressured CTT to take Borges. The way I remember it, it was strength/conditioning coach Yoxall that recommended that CTT give Borges a call. I think he was the last candidate to be interviewed."

"so he was in no way "forced" to hire him he was the BEST choice from many angles. WDE"
Hogking 7-09-05

whatsshakinbacon

Quote from: opineonswine on October 15, 2005, 02:18:45 pm
Quote from: therockdj on October 15, 2005, 08:45:15 am
Not critisizing what is going on in this post, but what makes anyone think that Gus is beig offered a job by the U of A? I really don't think that D Nutt is leaving. I don't think his health is an issue right now or he would have already given up his job a couple of years ago. Look at him on the sidelines, pregame, etc. He has no health issue by appearance and action that would warrant him giving up his job.
Gus may or may not be a good hire, but I think we would be served better with some college experience if Broyles is indeed forcing aother assistant in the program.
I think I will just wait for that announcement. I will be real surprised if Gus is name the OC

Houston Nutt approached Gus Malzahn right before the season started and told him Danny was not doing well, health-wise and was thinking of taking an admin position and would Gus come on staff. Gus told him he couldn't just yet. Whether that is the same scenario that will happen at year end, I don't know (apparently Danny started feeling better too), but I can tell you with 100% certainty that Gus Malzahn will be as asst at Arkansas next year. There is also a high probability that he will be the OC.

This echoes what some of my friends who usually know what they are talking about are saying.  DNutt's health is not good.  There's a strong likelihood that HDN has been covering quit a bit for him over the last year or two, and he will be out of coaching at the end of this year.

It is a huge leap for someone to go from HS coach to major college offensive coordinator.  I just hope GM can do it.  My guess is he will be the "passing game coordinator" and Wittke will not be retained - he'll probably bolt for E. Illinois again.

Is this what anybody else is hearing/speculating?

Bacon out...

Dances With Hogs

Who the heck cares?
Quote from: NuttsSacked on October 15, 2005, 12:08:13 am

I'm not knocking Gus and, as you say, Broyles and Lindsey like him. My question is, how does Nutt feel about all this?

LL COOL HOG

Not critisizing what is going on in this post, but what makes anyone think that Gus is beig offered a job by the U of A? I really don't think that D Nutt is leaving. I don't think his health is an issue right now or he would have already given up his job a couple of years ago. Look at him on the sidelines, pregame, etc. He has no health issue by appearance and action that would warrant him giving up his job.
I think I will just wait for that announcement. I will be real surprised if Gus is name the OC

Really, where is this coming from.  Name your source!..lol.  I want to hear it for myself that Guz is on his way to the hill