Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Did you know

Started by Biggus Piggus, July 07, 2005, 09:27:55 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Biggus Piggus

July 07, 2005, 09:27:55 pm Last Edit: July 07, 2005, 10:14:55 pm by Biggus Piggus
that the oldest starters on the Arkansas Dline may be

Anthony Brown--turned 22 in June
Desmond Sims--turned 22 yesterday, happy birthday!
Marcus Harrison--turns 21 on Sunday, happy birthday!

Other Dlinemen:

Harrell is 20-1/2
Jackson is almost 20-1/2
Snider is 20 (maybe that's why he looked so good in HS)
Mitchell will be 20 in November
Anderson is 19
Bledsoe is 19, still hope for him yet
Tate turns 19 next month
[CENSORED]!

Hoggysoprano

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on July 07, 2005, 09:27:55 pm
that the oldest starters on the Arkansas Dline may be

Anthony Brown--turned 22 in June
Desmond Sims--turned 22 yesterday, happy birthday!
Marcus Harrison--turns 21 on Sunday, happy birthday!

Other Dlinemen:

Harrell is 20-1/2
Jackson is almost 20-1/2
Snider is 20 (maybe that's why he looked so good in HS)
Mitchell will be 20 in November
Bledsoe is 19, still hope for him yet
Tate turns 19 next month

To take a line from Larry Johnson, "Coach, you need to get some men".

Biggus Piggus

Could have had 23-year-old Jeb Huckeba starting this year, had he redshirted as a freshman.  He did at least play in every game, though it was easy to say an older player would have done as well.  His big game was Weber State.  Main problem with last year's D, though...

2000-03 defense signees who washed out (excluding jucos who would have been gone)

Fred Blueford, Shane Collins, Myron Hargon, Lee Hayes, Leroy Hood, Jayson Johnson, Brandon Mayweather, Brian Watson, Pat Winn, James Johnson, Reggie Banks, Jonathan Barry, John Jackson, Lucas Jackson, Bobby Payne, Chase Pressley, Charles Walker, Rodney Giles, Anthony Gray, Ivora Hall, Brannon Kidd.
[CENSORED]!

Bomis Hawg

Fred Blueford did resurface in Divisison 1.  The rest, I think they either flamed out or just rode off.  Rodney Giles would be a great addition.  Sometimes, getting those guys in as Frosh isn't a bad thing.  I don't get this that Jammal Anderson being a wasted year.  The guy had a decent year.  Yeah, he could've redshirted, got stronger, and then killed it in 4 years.  Hopefully, thought, the redshirt will show great results in the case of Anthony Brown.

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: Bomis Hawg on July 07, 2005, 09:45:27 pm
Fred Blueford did resurface in Divisison 1. The rest, I think they either flamed out or just rode off. Rodney Giles would be a great addition. Sometimes, getting those guys in as Frosh isn't a bad thing. I don't get this that Jammal Anderson being a wasted year. The guy had a decent year. Yeah, he could've redshirted, got stronger, and then killed it in 4 years. Hopefully, thought, the redshirt will show great results in the case of Anthony Brown.

Who said Jamaal Anderson had a wasted year?  What was better for his development, I don't know, but he sure did not have a wasted freshman year.  Finished not so well, but hey he was the best we could do at times, and you can't keep those guys off the field.  It is a waste to play somebody token minutes when it's immediately obvious he shouldn't be out there + you clearly have better options.  Playing Jeb Huckeba as a freshman is harder to dispute, even though he developed not so well as a linebacker from there.  We had other options in his case, not many though.  Anderson, he was one of the few standing.

You know your depth situation is not right when you take a true freshman, offered very very late as a receiver, and make him a starting defensive end.  Then you take a redshirt juco wide receiver in spring and make him a starting defensive end, opposite another player from Tiny Town, Mo., who was recruited as a receiver, didn't stick at safety, didn't stick at linebacker, suddenly became the top rush end.
[CENSORED]!

Bomis Hawg

It was mentioned, a few times, that Anderson wasted a year playing as a true frosh. 

I guess some players respond differently.  Brown and Sims could be good players for the line this year, or they could just get lost in the shuffle -- or Brown could pull a Peebles and just get lost.  The DL should be a good unit, but definately an enigma to watch.

JIHawg

July 07, 2005, 10:40:03 pm #6 Last Edit: July 07, 2005, 11:49:27 pm by JIHawg
I talked to a walkon lineman who was on the scout team last year and went against Jeb Huckabee every day in practice.  His opinion-that Huckabee was the most overrated player on the team, that he wasn't hard to block at all in practice, that he didn't seem to have any real moves to get by linemen, and really wasn't that overpowering and didn't seem to use his quickness to any advantage.   this from a freshman walkon.    Take it for what it's worth.

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: JIHawg on July 07, 2005, 10:40:03 pm
I talked to a walkon lineman who was on the scout team last year and went against Jeb Huckabee every day in practice. His opinion-that Huckabee was the most overrated player on the team, that he wasn't hard to block at all in practice, that he didn't seem to have any real moves to get by linemen, and really wasn't that overpowering and didn't seem to use his quickness to any advangate. this from a freshman walkon. Take it for what it's worth.

I think I heard that last year from some walkon.  It is a load of crap.  The guy went to the NFL combine, got drafted, and is penciled into the two-deep at Seattle.  He had a bunch of big plays last season.  Huckaba's best days are ahead.
[CENSORED]!

JIHawg

I saw that he did that.  My only problem with him-he had the great play against Texas.  Why didn't we see more of those kind of plays?  I think we could count his sacks for the season last year on one hand.  For a guy who was recruited heavily by Florida State, why not more stats?  Go figure.

Boarcephus

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on July 07, 2005, 10:41:49 pm
I think I heard that last year from some walkon. It is a load of crap. The guy went to the NFL combine, got drafted, and is penciled into the two-deep at Seattle. He had a bunch of big plays last season. Huckaba's best days are ahead.

Never had to worry about him shaming the team or the university.  Just an all around good guy.  Hope he does well and makes a mint.
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

Hog6

Didn't he have a huge game against Georgia last year?  I believe Richt pointed him out after the game for special recognition.  I think he had more tackles, sacks against Greene than Pollack had against us.  And Pollack was SEC player of the week if I remember correctly.  Huckeba didn't get on the two-deep at Seattle for being a wimp.

Turnberry

Quote from: Hog6 on July 08, 2005, 06:51:33 am
Didn't he have a huge game against Georgia last year? I believe Richt pointed him out after the game for special recognition. I think he had more tackles, sacks against Greene than Pollack had against us. And Pollack was SEC player of the week if I remember correctly. Huckeba didn't get on the two-deep at Seattle for being a wimp.

12 tackles (4 for a loss), 3 sacks.   I'd say that's a decent game.......

Let's not forget that he was another famous musical chair participant on defense.  In 01 he played outside LB, in 02 he played the middle. He was very productive his senior year, especially considering it was only his second year at end.  Here's an idea. Let's try to keep some of our more talented players at the same position for 4 years and see how they develop.....

aka PlanoHog

Boarcephus

Quote from: Turnberry on July 08, 2005, 07:13:56 am
Let's not forget that he was another famous musical chair participant on defense. In 01 he played outside LB, in 02 he played the middle. He was very productive his senior year, especially considering it was only his second year at end. Here's an idea. Let's try to keep some of our more talented players at the same position for 4 years and see how they develop.....

Or recruit for that position.   What they did to playes like Lancaster was a shame, bringing them in as 250 pound DE's with speed and then adding 75 pounds to them in a span of a year or so and throwing them in as DT's and then drop the 75 pounds and throwing them at the FB slot for a year. 
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

hawgjowls

Quote from: Bomis Hawg on July 07, 2005, 09:45:27 pm
Fred Blueford did resurface in Divisison 1. The rest, I think they either flamed out or just rode off. Rodney Giles would be a great addition. Sometimes, getting those guys in as Frosh isn't a bad thing. I don't get this that Jammal Anderson being a wasted year. The guy had a decent year. Yeah, he could've redshirted, got stronger, and then killed it in 4 years. Hopefully, thought, the redshirt will show great results in the case of Anthony Brown.
dont quite think you should lump shane collins into the group of flame outs or just rode off's.  he had major knee problems from day 1 and they just got worse.  had he been healthy he would have been a star.  his highschool just rode him too hard, he was all they had.

Jim Harris

July 08, 2005, 09:12:25 am #14 Last Edit: July 08, 2005, 09:15:33 am by drakehog
Quote from: Biggus Piggus on July 07, 2005, 09:41:17 pm
Could have had 23-year-old Jeb Huckeba starting this year, had he redshirted as a freshman. He did at least play in every game, though it was easy to say an older player would have done as well. His big game was Weber State. Main problem with last year's D, though...

2000-03 defense signees who washed out (excluding jucos who would have been gone)

Fred Blueford, Shane Collins, Myron Hargon, Lee Hayes, Leroy Hood, Jayson Johnson, Brandon Mayweather, Brian Watson, Pat Winn, James Johnson, Reggie Banks, Jonathan Barry, John Jackson, Lucas Jackson, Bobby Payne, Chase Pressley, Charles Walker, Rodney Giles, Anthony Gray, Ivora Hall, Brannon Kidd.

most of that list sucked anyway. Blueford played for WVU, then got hurt. Knee injuries aside, Shane Collins wasn't much of a run-stopping SEC linebacker, if anyone watched the 2001 Tennessee game, and seemed just a typical good high school Arkansas guy from what we saw his senior year in HS. Out of the remainder of that list, the only player who showed true greatness in high school and a chance to be a real SEC player was Rodney Giles. The rest were either too slow, too fat or too uninspired. Pat Winn, geez, everybody who had even glimpsed him in high school knew he'd be a reach to get to perform. And the D-G's astute Robert Yates correctly deemed Fair's Johnson as "mostly fat" when he was a junior on that great prep team with Cobbs. I fear that Bledsoe better turn it around now or will be headed in the same direction.

Now, we could have used a Carlton Baker or an Albert Means, who were over at Memphis last year.
"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson