Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Two football things

Started by Biggus Piggus, July 07, 2005, 12:05:11 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Biggus Piggus

Now that D'Nerian Wrighter is off the team, the story is that he was a tweener with inadequate speed.

But Rivals listed him as a 4.41 40 guy!  He was one of the nation's top safeties!

What happened?  What happened was we needed secondary guys bad, and we signed him, so he must have been great.

With regard to the Oline, Markuson views three starting jobs as open competition.  Kyle Roper and Tony Ugoh are set.  The rest depend on who rises up.  That's a good situation.  What happened in 2000 was the starters were still green, didn't know how to prepare through the offseason, and there was no depth to push them.  Having real competition for starting jobs ought to work out well.
[CENSORED]!

Theolesnort

I can see it coming on the oline Biggis, but you are right about having better numbers. Not to play now but learning and waiting their turn a year or two down the road. I wish I had the same rosy outlook for the dline (interior guys) the raw material may be there but where is the dedication to get in really good condition?
There's Nuttin in the world worth a solitary dime cept Old dogs and children and watermelon wine.

hogsanity

On losing the player, AR is not nearly the only team dealing with stuff like this.  GA has lost several recruits due to grades.  Unfortunatly, thats just one of the risks involved in signing HS kids.  You have to sign some who may or may not make their grades, because someone else will if you won't.  Sure, some do not make it, but what if you pass on someone and they end up making it into school? 

The only way to build the lines is through signing several each year, and redshirting as many as you can.  That is very possible with the Ol, whoever, when you only sign one or 2 legit SEC dlmen each year you cant afford to wait, so you never develope depth there.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

hawgfan_18

What happened with D'Nerian Wrighter?

Hoggysoprano

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on July 07, 2005, 12:05:11 pm
Now that D'Nerian Wrighter is off the team, the story is that he was a tweener with inadequate speed.

But Rivals listed him as a 4.41 40 guy! He was one of the nation's top safeties!
What happened? What happened was we needed secondary guys bad, and we signed him, so he must have been great.

With regard to the Oline, Markuson views three starting jobs as open competition. Kyle Roper and Tony Ugoh are set. The rest depend on who rises up. That's a good situation. What happened in 2000 was the starters were still green, didn't know how to prepare through the offseason, and there was no depth to push them. Having real competition for starting jobs ought to work out well.

Otis must of reported that time.

Bomis Hawg

Insert Freddie Fairchild, or Jamar Love.  They'll take his spot.

Speaking of Safety, did Rick Culbert fall between the cracks in Fayetteville?  Haven't heard much about him, Michael Tate, or Ernest Mitchell lately -- or I just plain missed it.

Donald Miller

Quote from: Hoggysoprano on July 07, 2005, 01:53:52 pm

But Rivals listed him as a 4.41 40 guy! He was one of the nation's top safeties!
What happened? What happened was we needed secondary guys bad, and we signed him, so he must have been great.

With regard to the Oline, Markuson views three starting jobs as open competition. Kyle Roper and Tony Ugoh are set. The rest depend on who rises up. That's a good situation. What happened in 2000 was the starters were still green, didn't know how to prepare through the offseason, and there was no depth to push them. Having real competition for starting jobs ought to work out well.

I'm confused----we didn't have enough lineman to scrimmage this spring.  That says to me that we don't have much depth.  Am I way off?  Besides Ugoh and Roper I'm not real excited about the rest.  Plus you just had Gilbow go bye-bye. 

Oklahawg

Ugoh was with the track team and Tubbs was hurt during spring ball. Seems to me that someone else was banged up, also. I'd like to see them pick a position for Felton and let him be a star or a dud. I think dinky around with him at 3 different spots doesn't help anything in the big picture.

BTW, the OL depth chart shouldn't have to suffer from the limited scholies available in February. There is some dead weight (no pun intended) on the OL that can be liquidated and turned into new players. One-for-one would be nice. After signing four plus OL last season, and being in the fight for a major stud who would have gotten a scholie one way or the other, I almost have optimism that I will once again see decent OL depth at UA. Fall 2006 may be too early, though.

Tate and Mitchell are progressing and should see some playing time this fall. Mitchell could be a starter, or in the regular rotation. Tate has more competition for playing time but the opportunity will be there if he can become more consistent. I don't know what "more consistent" means, considering we hear that about Poole, Pressley, Felton, Tate, etc., etc. For some, its taking plays off in games and practices.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

hogsanity

Quote from: Donald Miller on July 07, 2005, 03:12:00 pm

I'm confused----we didn't have enough lineman to scrimmage this spring. That says to me that we don't have much depth. Am I way off? Besides Ugoh and Roper I'm not real excited about the rest. Plus you just had Gilbow go bye-bye.

THey had something like 4 or 5 that couldnt practice due to various surgeries.  They have depth on the OL, it was just that in the spring they had too many out to field 2 lines, which you need to run a full blown red/white type game/scrimmage. 
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Theolesnort

I'm confused----we didn't have enough lineman to scrimmage this spring. That says to me that we don't have much depth. Am I way off? Besides Ugoh and Roper I'm not real excited about the rest. Plus you just had Gilbow go bye-bye.
Surgeries, concussions, track participation etc made it look worse than it really was. Actually Felton, if he really wants it would be our best on the offensive line. He can really dominate when he is concentrating.
There's Nuttin in the world worth a solitary dime cept Old dogs and children and watermelon wine.

Donald Miller

Quote from: hogsanity on July 07, 2005, 03:30:16 pm

THey had something like 4 or 5 that couldnt practice due to various surgeries. They have depth on the OL, it was just that in the spring they had too many out to field 2 lines, which you need to run a full blown red/white type game/scrimmage.

Not trying to be a smartalike, but not having enough to field 2 lines doesn't equate to depth. I realize that there was some flukes with injuries and Ugoh with the track team. But, we should have enough to practice even with injuires.  It won't get any easier during the SEC season.

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: Theolesnort on July 07, 2005, 03:31:24 pm
Surgeries, concussions, track participation etc made it look worse than it really was. Actually Felton, if he really wants it would be our best on the offensive line. He can really dominate when he is concentrating.

Isn't it strange that after a spring when bodies were few, in front of a season where PT is free to be had, a guy like Gilbow can't cut it.  Felton can't start if he can't go a whole drive without getting bad winded and blowing it on the crucial third down.  If he has stamina, he starts.
[CENSORED]!

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: Theolesnort on July 07, 2005, 12:18:14 pm
I can see it coming on the oline Biggis, but you are right about having better numbers. Not to play now but learning and waiting their turn a year or two down the road. I wish I had the same rosy outlook for the dline (interior guys) the raw material may be there but where is the dedication to get in really good condition?

But we lose several this year and may not be able to sign very many.  The depth issues will be there for several more years at least.
[CENSORED]!

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: hawgfan_18 on July 07, 2005, 01:02:06 pm
What happened with D'Nerian Wrighter?

Fell off rapidly from the hunt as last season went on, looked too big and slow in spring.  Well, too big and slow for safety, too small and slow for linebacker.  Bottom line was he was a mid-major athlete who also happened to be struggling in the classroom.
[CENSORED]!