Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Wittke and the quarterbacks

Started by JIHawg, July 06, 2005, 10:58:58 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

JIHawg

I still don't know how to figure this Wittke feller.  He got really frustrated with Matt Jones last season, the uncoachable part of Matt Jones, it came to a boil during the Georgia game, Wittke, according to some sources, thought Matt dogged it and wasn't all that injured but didn't really want to come back out there when the game could still be won.  Wittke showed great patience trying to mold Jones into a college quarterback, finally throwing in the towel and going with the flow and letting Matt do his thing, which Matt was going to do anyway.  The NFL gurus seem to bear Wittke out-Matt, whatever his position is, it ain't quarterback.  He just happened to be the best card in Wittke's deck, and he is to be admired for playing it to the end.

Now he has a new deck-he will have the upper hand, the bluff in, so to speak.  He will be in charge, it won't be anymore the monkey driving the banana boat, dracula in charge of the blood bank, the coach will now be coaching, and the players playing.  He has three who seem pretty equal, so they need to please the coach, playing time is on the line, and the coach makes the call.  It will be a new day for Wittke.  Either be a real quarterback and do the real quarterback things or sit on the pine. 

We will finally see the Wittke effect in full force.  He's finally in charge.  I imagine no one is looking forward to this season any more than him.

CorningHog

I agree wholeheartedly.

Matt improved under Wittke and maximized what arm he had and Matt had the uncanny ability to hit certain passes with a flick of the wrist at times but mostly he underthrew passes and missed many open receivers.

I truly think that Matt had trouble with certain recognition type things and was not the highest IQ QB we have had.  That said, he was a freak of nature in his athletic ability and unnatural speed for his size or anyone's size.  I have said thruout Matt's career though, that his lack of IQ and fast recognition skills at knowing what the defense may give, where his routes are going and how to find 2nd, 3rd or whatever options available tended to result in missed big plays.

I will be watching intently this year with our talented receiving corps and TE's to see what happens with the playcalling and the production out of the passing game.  I really think it could be a very potent offense.  We will have to see how our guys protect and also more importantly how well we run the football.

Let's just see how this all plays out!

GO HOGS!
"Seek ye first the Kingdom of Heaven"

RazorRedneck

His true measure as a coach will come this year when he puts an unproven QB on the field.

But I have no worries I think he is a great coach

Rocky&Boarwinkle

I don't think IQ was matt's problem.  It was more, recognition under stress kind of a thing.  Many very smart people, get rattled and make bad decisions under pressure.  Fortunately Matt was such a specimen he could fix that problem by outrunning the scheme.

Smithian

I think Robert Johnson, once he gets a few games under his belt, will be a better passer than Matt Jones and prove this offense was, at points, held back by Matt Jones.

I think there were points where our offense just couldn't each its full potential with mat Jones's passing. Though, before anyone gets angry about that comment, I do think he pulled our offense a lot as well.

TulsaHogFan

No offense to the MJ fans as i am one of them, but i have thought RJ was a better passer since the beginning, and would have loved to see us play a few games with RJ taking the helm after the second quarter and letting Matt go to WR, it would have gotten him more experience for his NFL career, and would have given us a chance to evaluate RJ more. 

That said, RJ has a tight spiral and has the mobility to give WR time to get open.  I am thrilled to read the article today on how RJ is doing as i thought him to be the starter all along.  I like Mort a lot but he is just not ready yet and with RJ's taking all the snaps with the first O last year, he is familiar with the guys.  I think after the first couple of series he is going to settle down and trust the OL. 

That will be the key, how much he trusts the OL to give him those precious 3 to 5 seconds.  If he has that, watch out, Monk, Fish (yes Fish) and Baker are going to school some folks.

Hoggysoprano

I think you guys will be wishing Matt was back after the third game or so.

Theolesnort

Mort is the one that intrigues me. He seems to have knowledge of the game and while his arm may not be as strong as RJ or Cole he is more accurate and has touch. The problem is building confidence. He will need better protection than the other two and I don't know how well we can pass block since we have not done much pocket protection the last few years under Matt. I feel Cole has to learn the offense and so RJ is the one who has to do it.
There's Nuttin in the world worth a solitary dime cept Old dogs and children and watermelon wine.

Donald Miller

Quote from: Hoggysoprano on July 07, 2005, 02:16:21 pm
I think you guys will be wishing Matt was back after the third game or so.

We'll be begging for him by then.  He's wasn't the best passer to ever step foot on campus but he is a winner and he masked our deficiencies (our OLine).  RJ is no MJ and we're in for a long season if our line can't protect him.  I shutter to think how many games we would've lost the last 4 yrs without Matt.  Nutt needs to thank Matt every time he sees him. Without him, Nutt is not employed at the UA right now.

Macgyver_Hawg

I think it would be extremely hard to be the type of QB Matt was.  Every play with Matt had a potential long run or touchdown opportunity, yet you have to decide when and who to throw to, or where to run on a busted play, or even when to to throw the ball away.

I don't know how you coach that type of athlete.  However, from day one Wittke had trouble getting Ryan S. to stop throwing side arm.

Biggus Piggus

JIHawg, why do you think Nutt has been talking about hiring the Springdale coach if he's satisfied with Wittke?
[CENSORED]!

JIHawg

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on July 07, 2005, 08:01:59 pm
JIHawg, why do you think Nutt has been talking about hiring the Springdale coach if he's satisfied with Wittke?

Typical Nuttspeak, out of both sides of his mouth.  To be a bigtime coach, he sure shows lack of sophistication sometimes.   Nutt in his mind is assuming that at least one offensive coach will be placed somewhere next year, and in his typical polyanna world everything will work out, but those things are best handled quietly.

hogwildinhouston

I don't think Nutt has any intention of replacing Wittke as QB coach.  From all reports, they get along great, and Wittke is well respected.  I believe the articles written are laying the groundwork to hire Malzahn as an offensive asst, but not as QB coach.  There is NO WAY Nutt would openly say the things he's said if he hadn't assured Wittke they were for PR, recruiting of Mustain, and laying the foundation to let other weaker offensive guys go.  There is a weak link on the offensive staff, and Wittke isn't it.  Malzahn will replace him.

idochog

Quote from: hogwildinhouston on July 07, 2005, 08:38:29 pm

I don't think Nutt has any intention of replacing Wittke as QB coach. From all reports, they get along great, and Wittke is well respected. I believe the articles written are laying the groundwork to hire Malzahn as an offensive asst, but not as QB coach. There is NO WAY Nutt would openly say the things he's said if he hadn't assured Wittke they were for PR, recruiting of Mustain, and laying the foundation to let other weaker offensive guys go. There is a weak link on the offensive staff, and Wittke isn't it. Malzahn will replace him.

EALY needs to go buh-buy.  Never shoulda rehired him in the first place.

Hopefully Ealy goes to UCA and takes Vaughn with him.
I love Jesus!

hogwildinhouston

EALY needs to go buh-buy. Never shoulda rehired him in the first place.

Hopefully Ealy goes to UCA and takes Vaughn with him.

Bingo.