Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Will HOUSTON BE THE NEXT AD AT THE UNIVERSITY OF ARKANSAS

Started by rricha, July 06, 2005, 09:36:21 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

rricha

I BELIEVE FRANK MADE A DEAL WITH HOUSTON TO GROOM HIM FOR THE AD POSITION AFTER HE TURNED DOWN THE NEBRASKA JOB.

I'M EMBARRASSED

More than likely, he will.  However, I would rather see DVH as our AD.

Rocky&Boarwinkle

I think Houston would be a good AD.  He is an excellent cheerleader and incredibly positive.  It would also get us a different head football coach.

Anti-OtisII

Quote from: rricha on July 06, 2005, 09:36:21 pm
I BELIEVE FRANK MADE A DEAL WITH HOUSTON TO GROOM HIM FOR THE AD POSITION AFTER HE TURNED DOWN THE NEBRASKA JOB.

Very possible, but JFB sure didn't look or sound happy after the LSU coaching debacle.  That might have cost HDN his "deal".

Hoggysoprano

Quote from: Rocky&Boarwinkle on July 06, 2005, 09:40:54 pm
I think Houston would be a good AD. He is an excellent cheerleader and incredibly positive. It would also get us a different head football coach.

That would be the only positive.  I'm not willing to give that guy the AD job to get rid of him as football coach. That would be like putting Clinton in the White House to get rid of him as Govenor.

HogFansReunited

Quote from: Hoggysoprano on July 06, 2005, 09:43:46 pm
I think Houston would be a good AD. He is an excellent cheerleader and incredibly positive. It would also get us a different head football coach.

That would be the only positive. I'm not willing to give that guy the AD job to get rid of him as football coach. That would be like putting Clinton in the White House to get rid of him as Govenor.

LOL.....I think HND would make a great AD.  Would probably be a better AD than coach.  Plus that would make room for Butch Davis to step in to the coaching position.
My girl told me to whisper something sexy in her ear...so I leaned in and said....Dominic Fletcher.

Quote from: WorfHog on April 05, 2019, 11:26:00 pm
Remember when Auburn dog piled AND THEY LOST!

Member #3568

Rocky&Boarwinkle

That would be the only positive. I'm not willing to give that guy the AD job to get rid of him as football coach. That would be like putting Clinton in the White House to get rid of him as Govenor.

That may be true, but I heard more than 50 say the Clinton line when he got elected to the POTUS.

idochog

Im sure HDN still has it in him to sell the next used car to another program or two before its AD time.
I love Jesus!

Since 1894

Yea (if he is still the head FB coach), whats next?
The first thing I heard today was that he grew up on a pig farm. That's quite a start in my book. And my last memory was watching him hang 70 on Nebraska. Just those two facts are enough (for me to like him). Then, I hear that he's out of the Hayden Fry-Bill Snyder-Barry Alvarez coaching tree. Oh, that's enough for me to like a lot. Then, I hear he's got a 27-year-old wife. Okay, we can stop. I like him.

BARRY SWITZER- Former Arkansas Asst. Coach
Quote given to Clay Henry

As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State:

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

mikeirwin

It's getting annoying to have to keep repeating this.
1. Nutt doesn't want to be an AD.
2. Frank is not going anywhere.
If Nutt is not the Hog's coach in '06 he'll coach somewhere else.
He would have taken the LSU job had it been offered.

Bomis Hawg

Those topics go in with the Arkansas/Arkansas State debate, Mike.  The answer is the same, and practically will be the same for quite a while.

pioneerhog

TulsaHogFan

Wait..... we didn't do that? I totally thought that worked like we all planned it.

On the fact of having DVH as AD, i would much rather have HDN, he plays the "game" better by being out in the public eye and is a better "salesman".  DVH is a great guy in his position, i would have to say don't fix what isn't broke.

Since 1894

Thanks Mike.  Was HDN that close to taking the LSU job?
The first thing I heard today was that he grew up on a pig farm. That's quite a start in my book. And my last memory was watching him hang 70 on Nebraska. Just those two facts are enough (for me to like him). Then, I hear that he's out of the Hayden Fry-Bill Snyder-Barry Alvarez coaching tree. Oh, that's enough for me to like a lot. Then, I hear he's got a 27-year-old wife. Okay, we can stop. I like him.

BARRY SWITZER- Former Arkansas Asst. Coach
Quote given to Clay Henry

As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State:

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

PerryHog

Hey, I know you're closer to the program than I'll ever be, but if your scenario is correct, why did nutt flirt with lsu the very next year? I can't see the logic in that.

NEAHAWG

You may be on to something, someone from ASU told me here in Jonesboro that Dean Lee (current AD at ASU) may get the OSU job and Dickey Nutt would be his replacement and when Houston gets to be AD next year(2006)that Dickey and Houston along with Mike Beebe will start a series with the two schools.  Play the games in Little Rock and Fayetteville, with Little Rock being ASU's home game.

mikeirwin

Well if "someone from ASU" said it I guess Frank had better pack his bags.  ::)

idochog

Quote from: Since 1894 on July 06, 2005, 10:36:16 pm
Thanks Mike. Was HDN that close to taking the LSU job?

NOPE, IMO he was only granted a token amount of interest b/c HDN and Saban had the same agent.  From several accounts I have heard was that HDN was at least 3rd on the list, 4th if you count them offering it to Butch Davis 1st

1st: BDavis
2nd Miles
3rd: Louisville coach petrino
4th: HDN

I love Jesus!

VoR

IF JBF does retire before the 22nd century, and that is a mighty big IF, my 1st instint would be that if HDN is still here, he'd get 1st interview, whether he wants or not, if he doesn't then, and only if whoever is BB coach is ultra successful (I don't hold much hope that Heath will ever be ultra sucessful here, least not in a Richarson scale), then my next bet would probably be Terry Don Phillips ( I think that is his name) the ex-player that was Pres. of the Razorback Foundation and took the Assistant AD job and is now AD someplace, he has the experience, and the fact he knows the inner workings of the Foundation only means a smoother transision. The only coach of a non-revenue sport I could even remotely see even getting a complimentary interview and having a dark horse chance would be MR. NCAA championship himself John McDonald.

While on the subject, but to a slightly different degree, I can't help but wonder in the back of my mind how much of Nolan's venomous attacks isn't because he though when JFB retired he would be given the AD job, I'd heard many many times in the early to mid 90's that wanted the AD job so bad he could taste it, I realize I'm not as much in the know as many others here, but as many times as I heard it, I can't help but ponder on it.
From BC comic.
Fat Broad "What is the most flagrant oxymoron you've ever heard?"
Blond Chick "Politically correct".

You cannot brag about being selfless if you're doing it only to impress someone.

DirkPiggler

For those under the misguided impression that Nutt would be a good athletic director, consider this.  An athletic director's job involves much more than just speaking at booster clubs and raising money.  JFB is so good at those things and is so visible in doing so that we tend to believe that's all he does.  In reality he is the CEO of a business with several hundred athletes and coaches under his guidance, a business that has over $250 million in assets.  Not only does he have to make sure the money comes in, but he also has to be sure each department has the right amount of funding to adequately perform their job while making sure that future revenue streams will remain intact.  In addition to all this, he has to make the tough personnel decisions and sometimes fire people that he may personally like due to subpar performance.   To accomplish all these things JFB, like any good CEO, surrounds himself with good people and delegates responsibilities to them to keep the program running smoothly.

True, HDN would be an excellent fundraiser.  Like the former president from our state, he can assimilate with anyone and make everyone he contacts feel like they're his personal best friend.  However, think of how HDN has done in the other aspects of the AD's job.  He is a micromanager that cannot even get the responsibilities of his coaches and players in many cases.  While true his last couple of years his micromanagement of the offense hasn't hurt that side of the ball, I would argue that his concentration on that side of the ball distracted him from the defensive problems that were apparent to anyone with a ticket or a TV set.  He hasn't shown the ability to allocate resources properly, as evidenced by our continual imbalance of scholarships and our annual crisis at some particular position, which also goes back to the inability to accurately plan for the future.  Finally, he has kept his less-than-qualified friends on the coaching staff, even moving them around from position to position trying to find a spot they can't screw up, despite the fact that they haven't shown the ability to perform at the highest level of play.

Other than the fundraising and the rah-rah stuff, I've seen nothing in HDN the football coach to make me believe he'd be anything other than a trainwreck waiting to happen as AD.  Contrast that with JFB, who as football coach exhibited many of the same traits that have made him such a successful athletic director.
"They've forced my hand on that one."  -  Houston Nutt, November 2005 regarding his future hiring of Gus Mal-a-zahn

junkyardhog

Quote from: Anti-OtisII on July 06, 2005, 09:43:14 pm

Very possible, but JFB sure didn't look or sound happy after the LSU coaching debacle. That might have cost HDN his "deal".

This is my opinion as well. But and a big but, I don't think Frank is going to have ANY say whatsoever in who is the next AD.

Jim Harris

I think that description would fit better with Houston being named to lead the Razorback Foundation. He's too disorganized to run a zillion-dollar athletic department. When Frank is gone, White is going to want the women and men combined under one umbrella anyway. That would probably make Nutt cry.
"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

JJHog

Quote from: mikeirwin on July 06, 2005, 10:23:37 pm

I' d like to beleive this, what makes you think so...

" Think Right, Do Right"

Hoggysoprano

Quote from: JJHog on July 07, 2005, 09:45:39 am
Quote from: mikeirwin on July 06, 2005, 10:23:37 pm

I' d like to beleive this, what makes you think so...

Man guy it's self explanatory. 

DirkPiggler

Quote from: drakehog on July 07, 2005, 09:38:29 am

I think that description would fit better with Houston being named to lead the Razorback Foundation. He's too disorganized to run a zillion-dollar athletic department. When Frank is gone, White is going to want the women and men combined under one umbrella anyway. That would probably make Nutt cry.

Maybe Dicus would step into the AD role and Nutt could take his old job.
"They've forced my hand on that one."  -  Houston Nutt, November 2005 regarding his future hiring of Gus Mal-a-zahn

Hoggysoprano

Quote from: DirkPiggler on July 07, 2005, 09:57:02 am

Maybe Dicus would step into the AD role and Nutt could take his old job.

Arkansas will need an attorney type for the AD job, Dicus is good at what he does now.  How about ole Bill White, he is a criminal attorney in Fayetteville he cold serve a double role when our players got into trouble. ;D

Doc Holiday

I think he will be....I think he'd be a better AD than a coach....He is a salesman...

JJHog

Quote from: HoopHog on July 07, 2005, 10:46:32 am
How in the hell can any Hog fan discuss the position of athletic director and NOT ever, EVER mention former Arkansas Razorback, Terry Don Phillips?  Are we so near sighted as to not even investigate whether this former Razorback, who has been a successful athletic director at Clemson University, would consider coming home to serve his alma mater?

Since the U of A community has this unhealthy (and dumbass) obsession with "keeping it in the family" - here is a guy who can actually save our asses if the system sticks to this archaic position.  No one else is as qualified as this man - period.  He is a win-win...both for all the old cronies who do nothing but live in Arkansas' past, having played under Broyles in the 1960's, serves as a staff member and associate athletic dirtector at the University of Arkansas and most noteably President of the Razorback Foundation.  And, for the Hog fan who has his eyes on the future, Phillips has worked successfully at several schools (Clemson, Virginia Tech, Clemson, OSU, etc) and has seen what works at other schools and has been in enough varied environments to do things the right way...rather than just doing them the 'ole U of A way.'  The man has put together a fantastic marketing program at Clemson and it is his imagination that is endearing Clemson fans to his vision - something the Arkansas program sorely needs!

http://clemsontigers.collegesports.com/school-bio/clem-athdir.html

In my book, no one else is as qualified for leading the Arkansas sports program in the RIGHT direction, now that JFB has it on cruise control, and will until he breathes his last breath.  Of course, TDP might like his arrangement at Clemson and will tell the U of A 'no', but until we here this officially from Mr. Phillips, he has to be the big target to replace JFB. IMO

I think TDP has burned his bridge at Arkansas
" Think Right, Do Right"

JJHog

Yes, I think HDN at the RF is a much better fit.
" Think Right, Do Right"

WilsonHog

Don't see it guys. If HDN isn't coaching at Arkansas two or three years from now, he'll be coaching somewhere else.  I don't believe his ties to Arkansas are as strong as his desire to coach.

Mr A Ziffell

If Nutt did become AD, I have 1 question....Would he let the next football coach hire an offensive coordinator?

Jim Harris

Quote from: WilsonHog on July 07, 2005, 11:33:10 am
Don't see it guys. If HDN isn't coaching at Arkansas two or three years from now, he'll be coaching somewhere else. I don't believe his ties to Arkansas are as strong as his desire to coach.

I expect the Kentucky job to come open late this season and Nutt/Sexton will go full bore at getting it. Nutt's 6-5/7-4 style and more than occasional bowl would be acceptable to the Wildcat masses, and I think he'd achieve that. It wouldn't be a jump to a division rival, as was his looking into LSU was and subsequently pissing many folks off. All parties could move on, as even Nutt must realize he's done all he's going to do on the Hill, and the UA needed a newer, brighter, more innovative face on the recruiting trail.
"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

Hoggysoprano

Quote from: drakehog on July 07, 2005, 11:54:18 am
Quote from: WilsonHog on July 07, 2005, 11:33:10 am
Don't see it guys. If HDN isn't coaching at Arkansas two or three years from now, he'll be coaching somewhere else. I don't believe his ties to Arkansas are as strong as his desire to coach.

I expect the Kentucky job to come open late this season and Nutt/Sexton will go full bore at getting it. Nutt's 6-5/7-4 style and more than occasional bowl would be acceptable to the Wildcat masses, and I think he'd achieve that. It wouldn't be a jump to a division rival, as was his looking into LSU was and subsequently pissing many folks off. All parties could move on, as even Nutt must realize he's done all he's going to do on the Hill, and the UA needed a newer, brighter, more innovative face on the recruiting trail.

Sounds good to me. 

junkyardhog

BTW- If HDN is not AD. I would vote for Kenny Hatfield.

mikeirwin

Quote from: idochog on July 07, 2005, 12:17:18 am
Quote from: Since 1894 on July 06, 2005, 10:36:16 pm
Thanks Mike. Was HDN that close to taking the LSU job?

NOPE, IMO he was only granted a token amount of interest b/c HDN and Saban had the same agent. From several accounts I have heard was that HDN was at least 3rd on the list, 4th if you count them offering it to Butch Davis 1st

1st: BDavis
2nd Miles
3rd: Louisville coach petrino
4th: HDN

According to a beat reporter who covers LSU Petrino was the first choice but he acted like a butt, really insulted the LSU people who approached him.
Once that happened the job was wide open.
Nutt had a shot at the job but they wanted him to come to Baton Rouge and interview. They had a committee too and the committee wanted Nutt to answer questions about the long list of Arkansas players who had made off the field headlines. Nutt had been told by Broyles if he traveled to Baton Rouge and it got out he might as well pack his bags because the Arkansas job was no longer his. Nutt told the LSU people he talked to (at a neutral site) that he needed a firm offer or he could not travel to Baton Rouge. He never got a call back from them.

junkyardhog

Mike, in your opinion, would he have gone?  I believe he would have been out of here on the next plane.  That is the reason I do not follow him blindly anymore. It's hard to be upset with him because I would have done the same thing. But, I am.

VoR

Does it really matter, 20 yrs. after JFB is gone, folks will come to the game with Hog shirts emblazoned  with big white letters across it WWFD (What would Frank Do).
From BC comic.
Fat Broad "What is the most flagrant oxymoron you've ever heard?"
Blond Chick "Politically correct".

You cannot brag about being selfless if you're doing it only to impress someone.

idochog

Quote from: junkyardhog on July 07, 2005, 06:36:55 pm
Mike, in your opinion, would he have gone? I believe he would have been out of here on the next plane. That is the reason I do not follow him blindly anymore. It's hard to be upset with him because I would have done the same thing. But, I am.

HDN proved that he will say whatever is necessary (ala a used car salesman) about anything.  He said he "LOVED THE HELMET" when he secured the "free pass" but yet he lied and went back to the well the next year w/ LSU.  HDN needs to take a lesson or two from DVH about loyalty and the love for the university.

I still believe to this day JFB hoped HDN got on the Nebraska plane.
I love Jesus!

junkyardhog

Here I am defending him again and I don't know why, but, you can still love the helmet and still make sure you have a well-paid job and security.

You people are confusing loyalty and a job together. How many of you are so 'loyal' to your employers you wouldn't speak if someone else was calling?

idochog

Quote from: junkyardhog on July 07, 2005, 07:53:30 pm
Here I am defending him again and I don't know why, but, you can still love the helmet and still make sure you have a well-paid job and security.

You people are confusing loyalty and a job together. How many of you are so 'loyal' to your employers you wouldn't speak if someone else was calling?

You dont get it, HDN used the Nebraska job to get his payday, then turns around and does it the very next year.

The money they were offering DVH was INSANE, yet he wouldnt give them the time of day or even try to milk the interest from A&M into a bigger raise here. 

Who is the stand up guy in this scenario?  Dont give me this good for the family crap.  That sounds like Latrell Spreewell saying 8million wasnt enough to buy food.  HDN makes 1million plus, I think hes doing ok.
I love Jesus!

ArkansasI

Quote from: idochog on July 07, 2005, 09:22:19 pm

You dont get it, HDN used the Nebraska job to get his payday, then turns around and does it the very next year.

The money they were offering DVH was INSANE, yet he wouldnt give them the time of day or even try to milk the interest from A&M into a bigger raise here. 

Who is the stand up guy in this scenario?  Dont give me this good for the family crap.  That sounds like Latrell Spreewell saying 8million wasnt enough to buy food.  HDN makes 1million plus, I think hes doing ok.

I have got to disagree here idochog.  The Nebraska job offer Nutt didn't expect and then he wisely parlayed it into a better gig with the Hogs.  The LSU job is a whole 'nother matter.  Frankly, I don't blame HDN.  Just read this board and you can see everyone is looking for a reason to fire him.

The problem is HDN went about the process all wrong.  By playing the game the way he did, all he did was add another bullet to the gun pointed at him.  In fact, he added two.  The fans are ticked because we don't like being considered second tier to LSU.  He also hurt himself on the recruiting trail. . . what will opposing coaches say?  "He's looking for a way out of there.  You don't expect him to be around 4 or 5 more years do you?"  Of course, the hiring of Herring may help remedy the recruiting some. . .

idochog

Quote from: ArkansasI on July 07, 2005, 09:44:01 pm
Quote from: idochog on July 07, 2005, 09:22:19 pm

Who is the stand up guy in this scenario? Dont give me this good for the family crap. That sounds like Latrell Spreewell saying 8million wasnt enough to buy food. HDN makes 1million plus, I think hes doing ok.

I have got to disagree here idochog. The Nebraska job offer Nutt didn't expect and then he wisely parlayed it into a better gig with the Hogs. The LSU job is a whole 'nother matter. Frankly, I don't blame HDN. Just read this board and you can see everyone is looking for a reason to fire him.

The problem is HDN went about the process all wrong. By playing the game the way he did, all he did was add another bullet to the gun pointed at him. In fact, he added two. The fans are ticked because we don't like being considered second tier to LSU. He also hurt himself on the recruiting trail. . . what will opposing coaches say? "He's looking for a way out of there. You don't expect him to be around 4 or 5 more years do you?" Of course, the hiring of Herring may help remedy the recruiting some. . .

I completely disagree, I know for a fact from some insiders, he had Sexton working the Nebraska situation all along.  The Nebraska situation did not come up out of the blue.   I knew about Nebraska before the Missouri game.  I knew about a plane and everything.
I love Jesus!

ArkansasI

Whatever. . .  Clearly if he wanted the Nebraska job it was his for the taking.

The LSU job was totally different.  He never had an offer.  Yet he allowed his interest to go public, which was bad PR with us and can and will be used on the recruiting trail.

Hey, brilliant minds can disagree though.  Peace.

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: ArkansasI on July 07, 2005, 09:44:01 pm
The LSU job is a whole 'nother matter. Frankly, I don't blame HDN. Just read this board and you can see everyone is looking for a reason to fire him.

That's a reach.  What connection does this board have with reality?
[CENSORED]!

ArkansasI

You know, we always chat on here about how nothing we say really matters.  I disagree.  While we don't have any effect on the decisions made in the Broyles Center, I do believe that we are representative of the opinions shared by the Hog Nation.  Even if our venom means nothing to the decision makers that doesn't mean that we aren't an accurate reflection of those who are.

Perhaps I was a bit lax in my post, but I would suggest to you that HDN was feeling very uncomfortable following last year's lapse.  He knows that he is responsible for the status of the program.  Last year was a losing season. . . Even if we assume that LSU isn't a better job, a fresh start at LSU would buy him more years than he has to produce a consistent program in Fayetteville.  Taking over where Saban has left off would be much easier than where he has us.

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: ArkansasI on July 07, 2005, 10:16:37 pm
You know, we always chat on here about how nothing we say really matters. I disagree. While we don't have any effect on the decisions made in the Broyles Center, I do believe that we are representative of the opinions shared by the Hog Nation. Even if our venom means nothing to the decision makers that doesn't mean that we aren't an accurate reflection of those who are.

No, we're not a representative sample.  We're extremists, people who get into it to a silly degree.  People who care less do not hang around.
[CENSORED]!

ArkansasI

By the way BP, are you suggesting that HDN isn't on a short leash?  Certainly his leash got tightened as a result of his pursuit of the LSU job.  He probably had a 3 year grace period without that fiasco.  Now, this year appears to have become more critical than it had to be.

Of course, I could be totally wrong.  However, I don't think Butch made life easier for HDN.  Man, HDN can make some boneheaded moves.