Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

consecetive starts by a football hog

Started by rricha, July 06, 2005, 08:14:34 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

rricha

I have always wondered who has started the most games.

Since 1894

Good question - better call Rick Schaffer (sp)  He could find out.
The first thing I heard today was that he grew up on a pig farm. That's quite a start in my book. And my last memory was watching him hang 70 on Nebraska. Just those two facts are enough (for me to like him). Then, I hear that he's out of the Hayden Fry-Bill Snyder-Barry Alvarez coaching tree. Oh, that's enough for me to like a lot. Then, I hear he's got a 27-year-old wife. Okay, we can stop. I like him.

BARRY SWITZER- Former Arkansas Asst. Coach
Quote given to Clay Henry

As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State:

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

piggly wiggly

Didn't Billy Ray Smith start every game from the get-go??

Bomis Hawg

In history?  My guess would be Center Earl Scott (91-95).  I believe he practically started 3+ seasons.

Hoggysoprano

Probably you and Billy Ray Smith. You both started every game for four years didn't you?

rricha

Hoggysoprano

Quote from: rricha on July 06, 2005, 09:01:35 pm
i didn't billy probably did

You started for four years, did you not start at the first of the year?  Quinn Grovey also was a four year starter I believe.

Anti-OtisII

One would think that it might be someone from the last 7-8 years (98-2003) when we were playing 12 game regular seasons with bowl games (up until last year), but the obvious choices like K. Hamlin, S. Andrews, A. Carroll, and L. Richardson didn't come back for their senior seasons.  Did Bua and/or Caleb Miller start all four years?  I kind of think they did late in the freshman year but not the whole year.  Maybe K. Kennedy a few years earlier?  I would also suspect that it would be a DB because quite a few have started as freshmen and they don't seem to get hurt like a lot of our RB's that have started as freshmen (i.e. Cobbs, Hill, etc.).

Anti-OtisII

Quote from: rricha on July 06, 2005, 09:21:19 pm
Billy started the first 2 games at nose and moved to tackle the third game. I started after that a couple of games and AL Mo hammed started some. I had minor knee surgery and missed 3 games. I started the the last 2 games against Smu and Alabama. Billy came to college with skills we had to learn like reading heads and using our hands. Imagine this Billy weighed 217 pounds and I weighed 230 pound during our freshman year.
Times surely have changed for DL since the late 70's.  Of course Billy Ray Smith played in a High School Stadium (Plano, TX) with astro-turf and facilities better than any on-campus facility in Arkansas at the time except for Razorback stadium and maybe ASU in Jonesboro.  I was going to Richardson High at the time and we had really nice facilities but nothing to compare to Plano and/or Lake Highlands (and a lot of other schools in Texas I'm sure).

Bomis Hawg

Carroll and Richardson missed games due to suspension/injuries.  Shawn Andrews missed one game during his Sophomore year.  Bua and Miller, I think, both didn't start until late their Frosh or early Sophomore year.

It has to be recent players.  I go by my original guess of Scott.

Since 1894

Quote from: Hoggysoprano on July 06, 2005, 09:03:22 pm
Quote from: rricha on July 06, 2005, 09:01:35 pm
i didn't billy probably did

You started for four years, did you not start at the first of the year? Quinn Grovey also was a four year starter I believe.

I remember Quinn being out and John Bland starting a couple of games.  John started the Miami game (at Miami) and then Quinn came in the second series.  The defense focused on him and Barry Foster took the handoff up the middle for 80 yards and a TD.
The first thing I heard today was that he grew up on a pig farm. That's quite a start in my book. And my last memory was watching him hang 70 on Nebraska. Just those two facts are enough (for me to like him). Then, I hear that he's out of the Hayden Fry-Bill Snyder-Barry Alvarez coaching tree. Oh, that's enough for me to like a lot. Then, I hear he's got a 27-year-old wife. Okay, we can stop. I like him.

BARRY SWITZER- Former Arkansas Asst. Coach
Quote given to Clay Henry

As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State:

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

WilsonHog

I'm going with Billy Ray, Jr. on this one. I figure he made 48 from 1979-1982.

Bomis Hawg

Earl Scott was a three full year starter, which included the 1995 season (SECCG, Carquest Bowl).  That's just my quess for now.  Whatever it is, it'll probably be broken soon.

Bomis Hawg

July 07, 2005, 06:00:26 pm #13 Last Edit: July 07, 2005, 06:06:11 pm by Bomis Hawg
Found this per Hogwired...

R.C. THIELEMANN[/b]
A dominating blocker for four seasons on the Razorbacks' offensive line, R.C. Thielemann showed his promise shortly after arriving on the Fayetteville campus. A four-year letterman from 1973-76, he became a starter during his freshman season, launching a remarkable streak of 42 consecutive starts. [/u] He earned the starting nod in the final eight games of his freshman campaign as well as every game in his sophomore, junior and senior seasons. He garnered All-Southwest Conference honors at offensive guard in 1975 and helped the Razorbacks to a 10-2 record, including a win over Georgia in the Cotton Bowl. As a senior, he moved to center where he earned All-SWC honors for the second consecutive year. He is one of only two Razorbacks to earn all-conference honors at two positions. A member of the 1970s All-Decade Team, he earned a spot on Arkansas' All-Century Team selected as part of the football centennial celebration in 1994. Following his collegiate career, he was drafted in the second round by the Atlanta Falcons. He played 12 seasons in the NFL, including an eight-year stint with the Falcons (1977-84) and a four-year stint with the Washington Redskins (1985-88).

All I've found thus far.

Interesting note, Clint Stoerner started 35 straight games at Arkansas -- last being vs. Texas in the Cotton Bowl.

Anti-OtisII

Quote from: Bomis Hawg on July 07, 2005, 06:00:26 pm
Found this per Hogwired...

R.C. THIELEMANN[/b]
A dominating blocker for four seasons on the Razorbacks' offensive line, R.C. Thielemann showed his promise shortly after arriving on the Fayetteville campus. A four-year letterman from 1973-76, he became a starter during his freshman season, launching a remarkable streak of 42 consecutive starts. [/u] He earned the starting nod in the final eight games of his freshman campaign as well as every game in his sophomore, junior and senior seasons. He garnered All-Southwest Conference honors at offensive guard in 1975 and helped the Razorbacks to a 10-2 record, including a win over Georgia in the Cotton Bowl. As a senior, he moved to center where he earned All-SWC honors for the second consecutive year. He is one of only two Razorbacks to earn all-conference honors at two positions. A member of the 1970s All-Decade Team, he earned a spot on Arkansas' All-Century Team selected as part of the football centennial celebration in 1994. Following his collegiate career, he was drafted in the second round by the Atlanta Falcons. He played 12 seasons in the NFL, including an eight-year stint with the Falcons (1977-84) and a four-year stint with the Washington Redskins (1985-88).

All I've found thus far.

Interesting note, Clint Stoerner started 35 straight games at Arkansas -- last being vs. Texas in the Cotton Bowl.

That might be a winner.  I know that S. Andrews didn't come back for his senior year, but how many games was he into his freshman year before he started at OT?  Guys that earn starting jobs as true freshmen on the O-line (not just filling in for injuries) are all pretty special guys.

Bomis Hawg

I believe, as a Sophomore, Andrews missed the Mississippi State game and Zac Tubbs started. He had 10 starts as a True Frosh then 13 as a Sophomore, and another 13 as a Junior.  Tubbs, as a True Frosh, started that game.   

Biggus Piggus

[CENSORED]!

Pigheaded

Quote from: WilsonHog on July 07, 2005, 08:41:17 am
I'm going with Billy Ray, Jr. on this one. I figure he made 48 from 1979-1982.

BR Jr. had 36 straight thru his junior year. I can't remember a game he didn't start as a senior. It's a safe bet  he had 48. And I can't remember anyone since that started every game they ever played for the Hogs. Could be, but I don't remember anybody.

[attachment deleted by admin]