Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Is seven wins the majic number for us

Started by rricha, July 06, 2005, 07:00:34 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

rricha

Ever post I read indicates that seven wins will make it a good season for Houston Nutt.  I hope this not the attitude of fighting razorbacks.

Bomis Hawg

Every player and coach on every team, I'm sure, goes into the season with the "undefeated" attitude.  I doubt, outside of teams that win 1 game a year think they have what it takes to win every game. 

As far as expectations from fans, media, outsiders from the Arkansas circle all have their takes -- what would be successful, good, and disappointing.  7 wins/8 including a bowl is the majority that I've seen as far as what would be a good season.  Anything less than a bowl game, and a little less than that a bowl win, would call for a meeting of the minds. 

Overall, 7-9 wins would be the area that I'd call it.  I doubt anyone within the athletic department is thinking low.  I'm sure are going high.

Oklahawg

UA was outmatched vs. Auburn and LSU last year. I believe that HDN felt he had a shot at the others and the team responded that way. I see Auburn dropping off of that list, correctly or incorrectly, this year but should be replaced by USC. If HDN looks at film of USC and can think "Texas" that's a good thing.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

Arkapigdiesel

QuoteBut, the Hogs always perform at their best when they are underdogs.
I'm tired of being in the "underdog" role.  I want to field a team that has a legitimate chance of winning every game.  Man, I sure do miss the recruting inroads into texass that we once had while in the SWC.
Quote from: Mike Irwin on September 27, 2012, 10:54:27 am
Show me a school that has rational fans and I'll show you a loser.

Hoggysoprano

Quote from: rricha on July 06, 2005, 07:00:34 pm
Ever post I read indicates that seven wins will make it a good season for Houston Nutt. I hope this not the attitude of fighting razorbacks.

7 wins is a good season for Houston Nutt.  I hope the players expect more though.

Rocky&Boarwinkle

July 06, 2005, 08:43:40 pm #5 Last Edit: July 06, 2005, 08:45:31 pm by Rocky&Boarwinkle
QuoteI'm tired of being in the "underdog" role.  I want to field a team that has a legitimate chance of winning every game.  Man, I sure do miss the recruting inroads into texass that we once had while in the SWC.

I think you miss the SWC schedule more.  Tech, Houston, TCU, SMU, Baylor, could always be counted on for a 70% winning clip.  We usually handled A&M on and off, with Texas being the true fly in the ointment.

rricha

Arkapigdiesel

Quote from: Rocky&Boarwinkle on July 06, 2005, 08:43:40 pm
QuoteI'm tired of being in the "underdog" role. I want to field a team that has a legitimate chance of winning every game. Man, I sure do miss the recruting inroads into texass that we once had while in the SWC.[quote/]

I think you miss the SWC schedule more. Tech, Houston, TCU, SMU, Baylor, could always be counted on for a 70% winning clip. We usually handled A&M on and off, with Texas being the true fly in the ointment.
You very well maybe right.  I should say that I miss being a mainstay in the Top 15 like we used to be.  The SEC is a bitch of a conference to win in when you have to rely on out of state kids to come to your school.
Quote from: Mike Irwin on September 27, 2012, 10:54:27 am
Show me a school that has rational fans and I'll show you a loser.

Rocky&Boarwinkle

See, you immortalized my quote screw up before I could fix it. ;D

Hoggysoprano

July 06, 2005, 08:52:43 pm #9 Last Edit: July 06, 2005, 08:55:05 pm by Hoggysoprano
Quote from: PBD on July 06, 2005, 08:47:36 pm
QuoteI'm tired of being in the "underdog" role. I want to field a team that has a legitimate chance of winning every game. Man, I sure do miss the recruting inroads into texass that we once had while in the SWC.[quote/]

I think you miss the SWC schedule more. Tech, Houston, TCU, SMU, Baylor, could always be counted on for a 70% winning clip. We usually handled A&M on and off, with Texas being the true fly in the ointment.
You very well maybe right. I should say that I miss being a mainstay in the Top 15 like we used to be. The SEC is a bitch of a conference to win in when you have to rely on out of state kids to come to your school.

Nope the SEC is no better than the SWC was.  They have Kentucky, Vandy, SC, Miss, Miss St. and Arkansas on the lower tier.  We just don't realize the SWC was better because we were better then, now we are down there with the other also rans.

Boarcephus

Quote from: HoopHog on July 06, 2005, 07:04:49 pm
No, not at all. You are a former player, you know how it is with rebuilding. I feel that this season will be another season of maturing some players and working to fill holes. I don't think we have all the tools to be a 9, 10 or 11 win team. But, the Hogs always perform at their best when they are underdogs.

The question I have is why are we rebuilding at this stage of Nutt's tenure and most teams seem to rebuild after a good season but why are we rebuilding after going 5-6?   
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

HogFansReunited

I would not put us in the lower tier.  We are in the middle of the SEC pack.  Yeah I know we had a bad year last year but look back since Nutt has been at UofA.....we are defiantly in the middle not the lower tier.
My girl told me to whisper something sexy in her ear...so I leaned in and said....Dominic Fletcher.

Quote from: WorfHog on April 05, 2019, 11:26:00 pm
Remember when Auburn dog piled AND THEY LOST!

Member #3568

Anti-OtisII

Quote from: rricha on July 06, 2005, 07:00:34 pm
Ever post I read indicates that seven wins will make it a good season for Houston Nutt. I hope this not the attitude of fighting razorbacks.

Richard, I have said that 7 wins this year should be the MINIMUM for Houston Nutt to keep his job.  Anything less, will be a major disappointment and should be grounds for us looking for a new coach versus our coach looking for another job.  I'm tired of everyone accepting these 4-4 SEC records as the best that we can hope for with an occasional 5-3 thrown in every now and then.  That being said, I want to win every one of them and think that all are winable even if a couple are real longshots.

Bomis Hawg

Last season was a rebuilding year.  Wouldn't you say 4 starters back the first part of a rebuilding effort?  This year is going to show if the team is back on track, rather than another rocky year.  To me, right track is 7-9 wins including bowl game. 

Hoggysoprano

Quote from: Bomis Hawg on July 06, 2005, 08:58:48 pm
Last season was a rebuilding year. Wouldn't you say 4 starters back the first part of a rebuilding effort? This year is going to show if the team is back on track, rather than another rocky year. To me, right track is 7-9 wins including bowl game.

Oklahoma lost more players from last years team than any other school. Did you hear Stoops saying "I need two years to rebuild"?

Oklahawg

I am not attempting to be a Nutt apologist but Bob Oops didn't replace any more players than UA when you factor in players who sat out redshirting due to injury, etc. And, he didn't have to replace an entire offense around his enigma.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

Bomis Hawg

OU has 39 guys back, 9 starters while losing 26 lettermen.  Three teams have 39 returning or less.  Hogs returned 42.  It's where the losses occur.  Arkansas lost starters in bunches on both sides, while OU lost mostly position players with a good bit of defensively players.  Kansas State, a little closer in a way to Arkansas than OU, lost 24 last year and lose another 30 for this season.  4-win season and another potential close call to .500.  You don't hear it, but you know KSU is hoping to get back close to normal. 

Comparing Arkansas and OU right now is a little out there.  If you're view of Arkansas is on par with OU, then I know why a good portion of your viewpoint of Arkansas is so low.

rricha

Billy  started the first 2 games at nose and moved to tackle the third game.  I started after that  a couple of games and AL Mo hammed started some. I had minor knee surgery and missed 3 games.  I started the the last 2 games against Smu and Alabama.   Billy came to college with skills we had to learn like reading heads and using our hands.  Imagine this Billy weighed 217 pounds and I weighed 230 pound during our freshman year.

rricha

Rocky&Boarwinkle

July 06, 2005, 09:34:09 pm #19 Last Edit: July 06, 2005, 09:45:21 pm by Rocky&Boarwinkle
Quote from: Hoggysoprano on July 06, 2005, 08:52:43 pm
Quote from: PBD on July 06, 2005, 08:47:36 pm

You very well maybe right. I should say that I miss being a mainstay in the Top 15 like we used to be. The SEC is a bitch of a conference to win in when you have to rely on out of state kids to come to your school.

Nope the SEC is no better than the SWC was.  They have Kentucky, Vandy, SC, Miss, Miss St. and Arkansas on the lower tier.  We just don't realize the SWC was better because we were better then, now we are down there with the other also rans.

puhleez.  We were guaranteed to play 8 teams a year from the SWC. 4 were a dead on lock to suck.  2 would be average and 2 could be pretty good.

I give you that the SEC has as many lower tier teams in a 12 team format, but the 3 other possibilities are all in the "Texas" range.  And do we get a a guaranteed shot at the lower tier teams every year?  I don't remember playing Vandy for 11 years.  Kentucky only shows up randomly.  It would be like rotating TCU off for 11 years and replacing them with Oklahoma or Nebraska in the meantime. 

As a matter of fact, I look at the Big 12 as the new SWC.  Who is a powerhouse?  Texas, OU, Nebraska.  Who are the also rans? KSU, OSU, Tech, A&M,  With Baylor, Kansas, ISU, Missouri bringing up the bottom.

I say Alabama, Georgia, Florida, Tennessee are consistently as good or better than the tops from there.

Hoggysoprano

Quote from: Bomis Hawg on July 06, 2005, 09:13:03 pm
OU has 39 guys back, 9 starters while losing 26 lettermen. Three teams have 39 returning or less. Hogs returned 42. It's where the losses occur. Arkansas lost starters in bunches on both sides, while OU lost mostly position players with a good bit of defensively players. Kansas State, a little closer in a way to Arkansas than OU, lost 24 last year and lose another 30 for this season. 4-win season and another potential close call to .500. You don't hear it, but you know KSU is hoping to get back close to normal.

Comparing Arkansas and OU right now is a little out there. If you're view of Arkansas is on par with OU, then I know why a good portion of your viewpoint of Arkansas is so low.
Nope it's just the opposite, my view of Arkansas is that they are just as good as OU, I don't accept the useless excuses of a coach who can't get the job done. I know we can, have and will do better.