Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Which is a worse early departure?

Started by litmachog, July 06, 2005, 04:12:17 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

litmachog

Who made the biggest early departure to the pros for the Hogs?  Olu?  Thurman?  Or someone else.

Right now I'm still saying Thurman as Olu probably has more raw talent to show the NBA.

Bomis Hawg

Scotty Thurman.  That team, with Reid, Hood, and Bradley, needed some more leadership.  With him, they could've been a little better -- possibly a better seed.  That team made an awesome run in the Tournament after advancing to the Sweet 16 before losing to UMass.  Could they have gotten a better seed and went deeper?  Possible. 

Olu had a chance to add depth to next year, quality depth is the debatable issue.  Looking at it, I think Olu would just be another uniform on the team next year.  That being, if he didn't bring some serious game to the table and get things done.  That is the debate there.  We know Thurman was a key to the team.  Look at the team during his Frosh year.  That should tell you plenty.

Hood, Reid, and Bradley made a very productive trio in recent memory.  Throw a Senior who has been there, done that for the Hogs could only help.  My guess, his impact would be felt more overall wise than Olu.  Plus, the 3 years after Thurman left, you'd think that they would benefit from his experience and possibly win more games down the line.

Since 1894

Darnell Robinson leaving was another joke.
The first thing I heard today was that he grew up on a pig farm. That's quite a start in my book. And my last memory was watching him hang 70 on Nebraska. Just those two facts are enough (for me to like him). Then, I hear that he's out of the Hayden Fry-Bill Snyder-Barry Alvarez coaching tree. Oh, that's enough for me to like a lot. Then, I hear he's got a 27-year-old wife. Okay, we can stop. I like him.

BARRY SWITZER- Former Arkansas Asst. Coach
Quote given to Clay Henry

As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State:

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

Bomis Hawg

Darnell was a joke leaving early.  But, I doubt he would've brought much to the table in the NIT season.  He might would have added a win or two.  Lee Wilson could have left early and Darnell stayed and things would have been better.  For a guy who stayed all four years, he didn't do much impactness.

Darnell, I guess, tried to convert the title game to bucks.  Didn't work.  Not sure what Scotty did wrong -- bad advice or just had his stock drop.

bigt54

At least Thurman had some big college moments and a name that people knew.  Darnell, although he was horrible, was tall and a big body. 
Olu is athletic, but so was Mike Conley but it would have been dumb for him to declare for the draft. 
"I was not the best cause I killed quickly, I was the best because the crowd loved me."

PerryHog

Scotty had real skills. He could shoot. Maybe he wasn't otherwise ready for the nba, but those others mentioned had no skill at all. Just raw physical ability, but not the skills to profit from it. Being able to dunk is not that special in the nba. Ability AND fundamentals are.