Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

We have plenty of reasons to be excited about the 05 season

Started by Rhyno_Hawg, July 06, 2005, 03:18:16 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Rhyno_Hawg

First of all, if I knew ahead of time that we would lose every game this year I still wouldn't miss a second of any game. I would still fly out to So Cal, and drive over to Tuscaloosa, Athens, and Oxford. I enjoy Razorback Football more than anything. (I know, kinda sick)

Going win-less won't happen, in fact I think we will finish no worse than second in the west.

Call me crazy, but I sure as hell haven't written this season off.

We do have plenty to look forward to this year.

1. Our offense is faster, deeper, more athletic than I can ever remember. QB is a big question mark, but it is the only question mark. Besides, it's not like we have Zac Clark, a banged up Robbie Hampton, and T-Jack. We have 3 solid QB's on campus. We don't need a lot from whoever wins the job, they just have to be smart and serviceable.

2. What will Reggie Herring do? The defense has had a major overhaul and will be built on speed. What will that translate to on the field?  Will we be this year's NC STATE on defense?

3. Which freshman will make an impact?

4. Also take a look around the league. Lot's of changes.

Finally got Vandy on the schedule and didn't draw Tenn or FL.

USC- Lost two very important asst coaches in Norm Chow and the OL coach and Matt Lienart is coming off elbow surgery. Remember HDN always plays OOC teams very tough.

Bama- Lost the most of their OL, Shula is still head coach, and Joe Kines is still the DC. (HE got lucky last year)

UGA- Lost Pollack, Greene, Gibson, Brown, Davis, Thruman, and their DC Brian Van Gorder to the NFL. They are counting on a lot of other players to step up in the place of these guys who led the program for 4 years. They replaced Van Gorder with his buddy Martinez who has been with hm for over a decade. We did the same with Wommack after JT left, and our Defense was never the same.

Auburn- Lost every leader and playmaker on the team. Also lost their DC who was the best coach on the team. Auburn always had a good defense while he was there. Expect a big drop off this season.

USC- entire coaching staff has been replaced, and numerous starters have been kicked off the team. They will be good, just not this year.

Ole Miss, Also a coaching change. Best returning player on offense is ineligible. Going from bad to worse.

LSU- Ton's of Talent, but Les Miles is the coach. Saban's defense is gone!

I say we will at least be 8-3 this year before the bowl game.

Our big games are USC, BAMA, UGA, AU and LSU. We take 3 of these, maybe more. Our other loss will come from a team we should beat, and don't(just like every year) This season I think it'll be MSU.

Am I crazy?

Since 1894

The first thing I heard today was that he grew up on a pig farm. That's quite a start in my book. And my last memory was watching him hang 70 on Nebraska. Just those two facts are enough (for me to like him). Then, I hear that he's out of the Hayden Fry-Bill Snyder-Barry Alvarez coaching tree. Oh, that's enough for me to like a lot. Then, I hear he's got a 27-year-old wife. Okay, we can stop. I like him.

BARRY SWITZER- Former Arkansas Asst. Coach
Quote given to Clay Henry

As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State:

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

sooie dog

The loss to MSU will probably cost us a trip to the SECCG. 

Biggus Piggus

You are crazy if you think Auburn lost all its playmakers.  They have recruited way better than Arkansas has.  Georgia still has a whole bunch of defensive starters back, but their offense has been getting worse for a couple of years.  It's a road game, we probably won't be able to move the ball, we lose and it will bite.  I agree, the Oline was most of what worked on offense for Bama, and Croyle won't be able to compensate.  Their D will be extremely good, though.  Another road game and I bet a very close game.  Spurrier, by the time he gets to us, will be openly talking about how he needs more players.  We win that one.  Ole Miss and MSU are must wins.  I think Nutt will compete very well against Miles; he seemed intimidated by Saban the past two years.  But no way we win down there.

I go with 4-4 SEC and 6-5 regular season.
[CENSORED]!

hog-law

why does everyone think bama's defense is so great

the got beat in the music city bowl by minn.  that ran for 276 yards on the ground.

i am sure we can run on those guys and monk can catch on them

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: hog-law on July 06, 2005, 03:40:38 pm

the got beat in the music city bowl by minn. that ran for 276 yards on the ground.

They cared about as much about that game as the Hogs did about the Las Vegas or Music City bowls.  In the SEC they were solid.
[CENSORED]!

hogsanity

We win 2 non conf games and we win against Vandy, both Mis Schools

Lose at Ga, LSu, at USC

That leaves 3 toss ups Bama, Aub and SC.  SPlit with AUb and Bama and as was the case last year, a winning record hinges on beatiing SC. 

The only thing that makes me think we might actually beat AUb and BAma is that we play well in TUscaloosa. 
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Smithian

All we really need is one or two upsets and we're almost guaranteed a winning record, but if one of the Mississippi schools, Vandy, or UL Monroe beats us, we could have a serious problem.

Turnberry

the got beat in the music city bowl by minn. that ran for 276 yards on the ground.

Let's see........

- They return all 4 starters in a secondary that led the nation in pass defense.
- They have solid DL - Gilberry and Mark Anderson are good DE's (better than ours)
- Good LB's (Ryans is solid)

With Croyle back behind center I'd be fairly surprised if we finish ahead of them in the West. 

I think we'll go  3-5 in SEC play, 5-6 overall
aka PlanoHog

Swino

This year will be exciting, no doubt about it.  Losing this year will create more excitement that winning.

Anti-OtisII

Quote from: Smithian on July 06, 2005, 04:03:10 pm
All we really need is one or two upsets and we're almost guaranteed a winning record, but if one of the Mississippi schools, Vandy, or UL Monroe beats us, we   HDN could have a serious problem.

I fixed that for you.  We as fans will all be upset, but we won't lose our job over one of those losses.  HDN probably would unless he compensates by beating USC on the road and/or winning the SEC West.

hogtusk

New QB on offense, that's tough in the SEC.
New Defensive coordinator, defense has to learn new defense.
Sounds like only 9 wins to me. :)
Life is full of uncertainty, but I could be wrong about that.

The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

RazorRedneck

I see to remember a Razorback team that went to the MC Bowl and got punched in the mouth by MN and they came back and had a very impressive beginning to their next season.  Don't think Ala. can't come back and do the same.

Bomis Hawg

Quote from: Swino on July 06, 2005, 04:12:26 pm
This year will be exciting, no doubt about it. Losing this year will create more excitement that winning.

That is the mentality that many use.  Some want them to lose just to get someone out of town.  Now, some won't say it, but they actually think it. 

JackJohnson

Quote from: Turnberry on July 06, 2005, 04:10:51 pm

Let's see........

- They return all 4 starters in a secondary that led the nation in pass defense.
- They have solid DL - Gilberry and Mark Anderson are good DE's (better than ours)

With Croyle back behind center I'd be fairly surprised if we finish ahead of them in the West.

I think we'll go 3-5 in SEC play, 5-6 overall

u know what is worse than that??  They are coming off probation and are picked by many to win the west.  We are picked by many middle of the pack "because we were on probation"?? 

2 things- wasn't their probation TONS worse than ours, and 2, is that not more of that HDN excuse making defeatest attitude playing into things on why we are where we are and they are where they are, in terms of level of talent on the team through probation??

Just a couple of thoughts to ponder...

Hogblood

I agree Rhino. We have a lot to look forward to.  Good to see optimism. I believe Bomis Hawg is right as well. Seems a few on this board would trade a losing record for a new coach. The opinions on this board seem more negative than the everyday Razorback fan. I can't wait for the season to begin. Nutt doesn't give out very much info good or bad , but I think we are in a lot better shape than some people think.

Rhyno_Hawg

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on July 06, 2005, 03:37:28 pm
You are crazy if you think Auburn lost all its playmakers. They have recruited way better than Arkansas has. Georgia still has a whole bunch of defensive starters back, but their offense has been getting worse for a couple of years. It's a road game, we probably won't be able to move the ball, we lose and it will bite. I agree, the Oline was most of what worked on offense for Bama, and Croyle won't be able to compensate. Their D will be extremely good, though. Another road game and I bet a very close game. Spurrier, by the time he gets to us, will be openly talking about how he needs more players. We win that one. Ole Miss and MSU are must wins. I think Nutt will compete very well against Miles; he seemed intimidated by Saban the past two years. But no way we win down there.

I don't know man.... Those seniors at Auburn were on a mission last year. Combined with the fact that the west coast offense was a perfect fit for Campbell, everything clicked. They had been a very good defensive team the past few years.

You can't replace Jason Campbell, Carnell Williams, Ronnie Brown, Carlos Rogers, and Jr Rosegreen. Will their defense be the same without the same DC?

I'm sure it will be a tough game, but they are a step (long) down from the past few seasons.

And over the last 4 years they haven't really out recruited us. Aside from last year, their classes have been ranked 20-25 just like ours.

Maybe I'm wrong. Guess we'll find out in a few months.

Bomis Hawg

Auburn has to slip.  Tre Smith, coming off an injury, and Carl Stewart are no where near TWO Top 5 picks.  Jason Campbell took 4 years to get his act together.  Brandon Cox, in season #1 as starter and season 3 at Auburn, probably won't be anywhere near Campbell's production.  Granted, they have good options to throw to, but who will do the throwing?  The defense should be fine, I would guess.  I doubt Auburn is that far, talent wise, ahead of Arkansas.

HogFansReunited

Yeah a lot of the people on here are vary negative.  I live in Los Angeles so I am not around many hog fans so I don't know what the average fan is feeling.  I hope that most of the fans are not this negative all the time.  I think we will have a good season with at least 7 wins and probably more.
My girl told me to whisper something sexy in her ear...so I leaned in and said....Dominic Fletcher.

Quote from: WorfHog on April 05, 2019, 11:26:00 pm
Remember when Auburn dog piled AND THEY LOST!

Member #3568

Cyberhawg

Quote from: Rhyno_Hawg on July 06, 2005, 09:08:51 pm
Quote from: Biggus Piggus on July 06, 2005, 03:37:28 pm
You are crazy if you think Auburn lost all its playmakers. They have recruited way better than Arkansas has. Georgia still has a whole bunch of defensive starters back, but their offense has been getting worse for a couple of years. It's a road game, we probably won't be able to move the ball, we lose and it will bite. I agree, the Oline was most of what worked on offense for Bama, and Croyle won't be able to compensate. Their D will be extremely good, though. Another road game and I bet a very close game. Spurrier, by the time he gets to us, will be openly talking about how he needs more players. We win that one. Ole Miss and MSU are must wins. I think Nutt will compete very well against Miles; he seemed intimidated by Saban the past two years. But no way we win down there.

I don't know man.... Those seniors at Auburn were on a mission last year. Combined with the fact that the west coast offense was a perfect fit for Campbell, everything clicked. They had been a very good defensive team the past few years.

You can't replace Jason Campbell, Carnell Williams, Ronnie Brown, Carlos Rogers, and Jr Rosegreen. Will their defense be the same without the same DC?

I'm sure it will be a tough game, but they are a step (long) down from the past few seasons.

And over the last 4 years they haven't really out recruited us. Aside from last year, their classes have been ranked 20-25 just like ours.

Maybe I'm wrong. Guess we'll find out in a few months.

I agree that as a whole the SEC appears more wide open this coming season than it has been in a while. Where that leaves Arkansas is hard to say. If you go by the recruiting experts, Arkansas has slipped a little but I see that we've stalked up on alot of linemen the past few years and I think that will drag you down a bit in the recruiting guru's eyes. On paper all 3 of our QB's figure to be decent if not outstanding (at some point in their careers). I agree we just need someone that doesn't make mistakes and can run the offense...they don't need to be an All-SEC QB in order to make the team go. Will appear stocked at runningback, wide reciever, tightend, and on the offensive line. As for the defense my biggest concern is at linebacker, we've got to got take a quantum leap back into SEC caliber linebackers in order to really have much of a chance...it killed us last year. This whole concept of "speed" on defense has been shoved down our throats every year for the past 20 years it seems like so excuse me if I don't buy that brand of kool-aid so quickly. I think Herrings style of play in my mind is more conventional than what we've seen out of Burns, Allen, Thompson, and Wommack...he's probably the closest thing we've had to Burns since he took the Tulsa gig. If nothing else the attitude on defense should be one of no excuses just get it done which I believe is the approach that got Nutt off to a great start when he first arrived. Nutt had his players believing they could win if they bought into the system, last year it was clear the defense was being handled rather softly...alot of which was because of the youth factor. Herring doesn't care what you excuse is, he wants results and won't hestiate to let you know you are on his darn list...that's a good attribute in any coach especially a DC.
I'd rather be hunting!

hawkeyefan17

This season will be intriuging and fun to watch, it will be very interesting to watch how all of the question marks everyone has point out will eventually turn out. I would like to see Robert Johnson have a good year but I would also like to see more passing which I know doesn't make much sense becuase generally I think the thought is that if Johnson does well, he'll be running a lot. I guess I just want to see some accurate deep balls that stretch the field and lead to scores.

I love Peyton Hillis, I hope he has a great year but I just wonder what his role will be.
If the quarterback situation works itself out it will be interesting to see what kind of impact Marcus Monk has. I think he'll have a good year.

I see this team winning five or six games and I am hoping for 7. I didn't really follow Arkansas football all that closely until I moved to Bentonville a couple years ago so all I really remember is the Razorbacks with Matt Jones. So for me it will be interesting to see what Nutt does with his offense without Jones. I do remember some of Clint Stoerner and the revolving door of Zac Clark, Matt Jones and so on but only on a peripheral level.

Some people seem to think that Alabama's defense wasn't that great last year. They only allowed 3.3 yards per carry last season and their pass defense was great as well. You could use the Music City Bowl against Minnesota as an example of the Tide not having a great defense but the Golden Gophers ran over everyone last season. They had over 3000 yards rushing as a team.

Alabama (gave up 3.3 yards per carry) vs. Minnesota 72 carries for 276 yards

Minnesota also made some other great defenses look bad:

Iowa's defense vs. Minnesota 54 carries for 337 yards (Iowa even with this game gave up 2.8 per carry over all last season.

Michigan's defense vs. Minnesota 38 carries for 189 yards

most teams that played Minnesota last season had their worst day in terms of rush defense against the Gophers.

Arkansas does not currently have a Lawrence Moroney and a Marion Barber III on their roster so don't be so sure that Arkansas will be able to run effectively against Alabama's run defense.

So using Minnesota as an example to say Alabama had a bad defense last season would be like watching Arkansas vs. Missouri State this coming season and using that game to base your opinion on how the offense for Arkansas will be this season.

Cyberhawg

Quote from: hawkeyefan17 on July 06, 2005, 10:47:57 pm
This season will be intriuging and fun to watch, it will be very interesting to watch how all of the question marks everyone has point out will eventually turn out. I would like to see Robert Johnson have a good year but I would also like to see more passing which I know doesn't make much sense becuase generally I think the thought is that if Johnson does well, he'll be running a lot. I guess I just want to see some accurate deep balls that stretch the field and lead to scores.

I love Peyton Hillis, I hope he has a great year but I just wonder what his role will be.
If the quarterback situation works itself out it will be interesting to see what kind of impact Marcus Monk has. I think he'll have a good year.

I see this team winning five or six games and I am hoping for 7. I didn't really follow Arkansas football all that closely until I moved to Bentonville a couple years ago so all I really remember is the Razorbacks with Matt Jones. So for me it will be interesting to see what Nutt does with his offense without Jones. I do remember some of Clint Stoerner and the revolving door of Zac Clark, Matt Jones and so on but only on a peripheral level.

Some people seem to think that Alabama's defense wasn't that great last year. They only allowed 3.3 yards per carry last season and their pass defense was great as well. You could use the Music City Bowl against Minnesota as an example of the Tide not having a great defense but the Golden Gophers ran over everyone last season. They had over 3000 yards rushing as a team.

Iowa's defense vs. Minnesota 54 carries for 337 yards (Iowa even with this game gave up 2.8 per carry over all last season.

most teams that played Minnesota last season had their worst day in terms of rush defense against the Gophers.

Arkansas does not currently have a Lawrence Moroney and a Marion Barber III on their roster so don't be so sure that Arkansas will be able to run effectively against Alabama's run defense.

So using Minnesota as an example to say Alabama had a bad defense last season would be like watching Arkansas vs. Missouri State this coming season and using that game to base your opinion on how the offense for Arkansas will be this season.

I wouldn't be stupid enough to use a team that beat our asses as an example any how. You can blame it on the Music City bowl all you want, the simple fact of the matter is Golphers came down to the Music Bowl and beat Arkansas one year, then Alabama a year or two later. They took care of business and they do have (or had) to fine runningbacks that will probably play at the next level.
I'd rather be hunting!

hog-law

Let's see........

fun stuff, let me throw some stats in

the 04 game we won 27 - 10.  Our rushing total was 211 on 49 carries for an average of 4.3 a carry (thats pretty good no matter who your playing)

Our passing game was limited but we did complete 7 passes for a total of 122 yards for an average of 17.4 per catch (once again pretty good).

All said and done we had 333 yards on 61 plays for an average of 5.5 per play.  If you think Alabama has an awesome defense i can point to numerous cracks in their defense and show you games to prove it. 

27-10 Hogs win over the awesome force of the tide d.   lol yeap holding us to 5.5 per play really kept us down

just so you know im not b.s.ing you

http://www.hogwired.com/stats/home2/ar04.htm

Feralhog

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on July 06, 2005, 03:46:40 pm

They cared about as much about that game as the Hogs did about the Las Vegas or Music City bowls. In the SEC they were solid.

No way BP.  This was the first bowl trip for Bama since they became eligible.  Bama had a depth issue on D last year.
Seer, Sage, Soothsayer and former Computer repairman for Hunter Biden......Feralhog the Magnificent

Hoggysoprano

Quote from: HoopHog on July 07, 2005, 10:11:43 am
Quote from: Feralhog on July 07, 2005, 09:38:06 am

They cared about as much about that game as the Hogs did about the Las Vegas or Music City bowls. In the SEC they were solid.

No way BP. This was the first bowl trip for Bama since they became eligible. Bama had a depth issue on D last year.

Bama was very much our equal in ability, execution and committment out on the field last season.  I don't see the Tide making a huge jump fron where they were last year.  If Bama is able to make a vast improvement from last season, then so are we?

Bama has a guy a forth year starter at QB.  That makes a huge difference.

Hoggysoprano

Quote from: HoopHog on July 07, 2005, 10:17:16 am
Quote from: Hoggysoprano on July 07, 2005, 10:12:56 am

No way BP. This was the first bowl trip for Bama since they became eligible. Bama had a depth issue on D last year.

Bama was very much our equal in ability, execution and committment out on the field last season. I don't see the Tide making a huge jump fron where they were last year. If Bama is able to make a vast improvement from last season, then so are we?

Bama has a guy a forth year starter at QB. That makes a huge difference.

Who isn't very good and is very injury prone. After one game, they might not have him!

I seem to remember him making his first start against us at RRS and us getting out butts kicked up and down the field.

JackJohnson

Quote from: HoopHog on July 07, 2005, 10:24:06 am
Quote from: HoopHog on July 07, 2005, 10:17:16 am
Quote from: Hoggysoprano on July 07, 2005, 10:12:56 am

Bama was very much our equal in ability, execution and committment out on the field last season. I don't see the Tide making a huge jump fron where they were last year. If Bama is able to make a vast improvement from last season, then so are we?

Bama has a guy a forth year starter at QB. That makes a huge difference.

Who isn't very good and is very injury prone. After one game, they might not have him!

Actually, I like Brodie and I do think he is a decent quarterback (almost signed with Arkansas). But, he IS injury prone and not very good because of being overly cautious of his body after so many injuries...just to clarify. The boy is shell shocked.

Brodie's dad John Croyle played for Bear Bryant, and unlike the arkansas' alum's sons (Darius Walker, Nathan Jones, Jr, Steven Korte, etc.), if bama offers, they don't go anywhere else, and NO ONE was ever seriously considered other than Bama. 

BTW, IF Brodie stays healthy this year, he will shatter every single season Bama passing record

Just a little FYI...

Swino

Don't kid yourself about last years Bama game, with Croyle, it would have at least been a toss up.  Our green corners would have been at the very least used and at most abused by them.  Us being at home mattered a lot.

This year, Croyle is back, and their defensive core is back.  We will be have a new QB and will be travelling from L.A. then TO Bama.  The edge will be in Bama's favor, but that is why we play the game. 

BigHog

I would be remiss if I didn't throw my two cents in here. I don't understand how anyone can say that the Hogs would be sub .500 this year. I truly believe that a bad season will be eight wins for us. This is what I think will happen. I will break it down Game by Game.

09/03 Missouri St.- They were sub .500 in the Gateway League so Arkansas pretty much assured a victory here. (1-0)
09/10 Vandy- The worst in the SEC, but have a four year started at QB. Still Arkansas will be too much for them.(2-0)
09/17 @S. Cal- Good team, that will be challenged in the Pac-10. Arakansas will match up well, but I think USC wins (2-1)
09/24 @Bama- A team not a great deal better than last year, even with Croyle(If he is there). Tough game on the road, Ark. wins (3-1)SWING GAME
10/08 La-Mon- Sub .500 in the Sun Belt, great receiver, great QB,  where is the Defense? Arkansas wins (4-1)
10/15 Auburn-  Good team that has some rebuilding to do. Good D, questionable offense. Plus we get them at home (5-1)
10/22 @UGA- Offense will be worse than last year, still have a good Defense, tough road game. Arkansas is due (6-1)
11/05 S. Car- Rebuilding, still the ol' Football coach will give us a game, good that we are at home, nailbiter (7-1) SWING GAME
11/12 Miss- Another rebuilding team, new coach, new system, still no Manning, Arkansas will roll on the road (8-1)
11/19 MSU- An improving team, that will give us a scare, but we will have something to play for late in the season. (9-1)
11/26 LSU- Will still have a choppy Offense, new coach, no Saban Defense, still a Death Valley Game. Close one (10-1)
12/03 SEC CHAMPIONSHIP- U Tenn is going to be tough this year, will squeak by Florida, Arkansas wins the SEC (11-1)
01/02/06 NOKIA SUGAR BOWL ARKANSAS vs. TEXAS... How sweet, U of A routes the Horns and claim their first National title since the 60's.

This might be wishful thinking, but I think that there is a possibility here. I also believe that So. Cal is going to get beat by us (maybe, but I am realistic), maybe Cal, and maybe even Arizona St, or UCLA.) People are going to realize that Razorback football is more than just Matt Jones. This is an experienced team, with something to prove.

hog-law

Quote from: Swino on July 07, 2005, 11:05:01 am
Don't kid yourself about last years Bama game, with Croyle, it would have at least been a toss up. Our green corners would have been at the very least used and at most abused by them. Us being at home mattered a lot.

This year, Croyle is back, and their defensive core is back. We will be have a new QB and will be travelling from L.A. then TO Bama. The edge will be in Bama's favor, but that is why we play the game.

you gotta be kidding me, i just pointed out stats that prove that we can both run and pass on their awesome d. 

and not to mention that shula has the worst coaching mind in the conference, he always make coaching mistakes

Swino

Quoteyou gotta be kidding me, i just pointed out stats that prove that we can both run and pass on their awesome d. 

You posted stats about how we PASSED and RAN on them last year.  LAST YEAR.  We can make all kinds of assumptions if we use last years players with last years stats and if we are actually dumb enough to thing that things don't change.

PennHOG

Quote from: BigHog on July 07, 2005, 11:12:18 am
I would be remiss if I didn't throw my two cents in here. I don't understand how anyone can say that the Hogs would be sub .500 this year. I truly believe that a bad season will be eight wins for us. This is what I think will happen. I will break it down Game by Game.

09/03 Missouri St.- They were sub .500 in the Gateway League so Arkansas pretty much assured a victory here. (1-0)
09/10 Vandy- The worst in the SEC, but have a four year started at QB. Still Arkansas will be too much for them.(2-0)
09/17 @S. Cal- Good team, that will be challenged in the Pac-10. Arakansas will match up well, but I think USC wins (2-1)
09/24 @Bama- A team not a great deal better than last year, even with Croyle(If he is there). Tough game on the road, Ark. wins (3-1)
10/08 La-Mon- Sub .500 in the Sun Belt, great receiver, great QB, where is the Defense? Arkansas wins (4-1) SWING GAME
10/15 Auburn- Good team that has some rebuilding to do. Good D, questionable offense. Plus we get them at home (5-1)
10/22 @UGA- Offense will be worse than last year, still have a good Defense, tough road game. Arkansas is due (6-1)
11/05 S. Car- Rebuilding, still the ol' Football coach will give us a game, good that we are at home, nailbiter (7-1) SWING GAME
11/12 Miss- Another rebuilding team, new coach, new system, still no Manning, Arkansas will roll on the road (8-1)
11/19 MSU- An improving team, that will give us a scare, but we will have something to play for late in the season. (9-1)
11/26 LSU- Will still have a choppy Offense, new coach, no Saban Defense, still a Death Valley Game. Close one (10-1)
12/03 SEC CHAMPIONSHIP- U Tenn is going to be tough this year, will squeak by Florida, Arkansas wins the SEC (11-1)
01/02/06 NOKIA SUGAR BOWL ARKANSAS vs. TEXAS... How sweet, U of A routes the Horns and claim their first National title since the 60's.

This might be wishful thinking, but I think that there is a possibility here. I also believe that So. Cal is going to get beat by us (maybe, but I am realistic), maybe Cal, and maybe even Arizona St, or UCLA.) People are going to realize that Razorback football is more than just Matt Jones. This is an experienced team, with something to prove.

If we're 10-1 going into LSU (which I don't think will be the case), there's no way we win.  LSU will be so motivated and we will think we're great!  Only to be knocked back down to reality.  This is an Arkansas tradition.
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep just like my grandfather, and not like the screaming passengers in his car!

hog-law

Quote from: Swino on July 07, 2005, 11:21:44 am
Quoteyou gotta be kidding me, i just pointed out stats that prove that we can both run and pass on their awesome d.

You posted stats about how we PASSED and RAN on them last year. LAST YEAR. We can make all kinds of assumptions if we use last years players with last years stats and if we are actually dumb enough to thing that things don't change.

good eye

now with that being, we assume everything for this season and our opponets.  we dont know if ala defense is going to be good or bad.

i was merely refutating the claim that bama defense should be feared, and in my argument presented statistical evidence that shows the bama defense can be exploited 

my point remains, bama's defense isnt all its cracked up to be

BigHog

If we're 10-1 going into LSU (which I don't think will be the case), there's no way we win. LSU will be so motivated and we will think we're great! Only to be knocked back down to reality. This is an Arkansas tradition.

Could this be the year we break with tradition? I think that they elements are there. A favorable schedule, an experienced team, other teams in various modes of regrouping.... Plus a little luck, who knows.....

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: hog-law on July 07, 2005, 07:56:29 am

Let's see........

fun stuff, let me throw some stats in

the 04 game we won 27 - 10.  Our rushing total was 211 on 49 carries for an average of 4.3 a carry (thats pretty good no matter who your playing)

Our passing game was limited but we did complete 7 passes for a total of 122 yards for an average of 17.4 per catch (once again pretty good).

All said and done we had 333 yards on 61 plays for an average of 5.5 per play.  If you think Alabama has an awesome defense i can point to numerous cracks in their defense and show you games to prove it. 

27-10 Hogs win over the awesome force of the tide d.   lol yeap holding us to 5.5 per play really kept us down

just so you know im not b.s.ing you

http://www.hogwired.com/stats/home2/ar04.htm

It's not as though we didn't live through that game too. 

Our offense struggled to move the ball most of the day.  We analyzed this game to ridiculous detail on this board.  We scored twice late, once very late.  Bama was starting a new QB who was inept, especially in that game.  We had advantages and still couldn't move the ball very well. 

We completed 7 passes against Bama and had 14 first downs.  We were 3-12 on third downs.  We had to run 49 times to crack 200 yards on the ground.  We trailed in time of possession by 2-1/2 minutes.  De'Arrius Howard ran 21 times and got 64 yards to lead us in rushing.  Bama defended us very well.  Your revisionist history is way off.

http://www.hogville.net/articles/WhatADifferenceAQuarterbackMakes.html

Try that.
[CENSORED]!

BigHog

My first Swing Game is the Alabama game not La. Monroe. I have seen Robert Johnson in practice, I will say I was pretty impressed. So I think that there is a strong possibility that he might have a break out type of season like Ainge did last year.

HighOnHogs

Quote from: BigHog on July 07, 2005, 11:12:18 am

This might be wishful thinking, but I think that there is a possibility here. I also believe that So. Cal is going to get beat by us (maybe, but I am realistic), maybe Cal, and maybe even Arizona St, or UCLA.) People are going to realize that Razorback football is more than just Matt Jones. This is an experienced team, with something to prove.[/color]

About as wishful as wishing for the lotto.  No way is our young team going to go undefeated in the SEC.  I doubt we will ever have a team full of seniors that pull that off.

BigHog

That is probably what they were saying at Auburn last year. Nobody remebers that Tuberville was on his way out if he didn't have a GREAT season last year. No one thought that they would go undefeated however. I never play the Lotto, I don't like the odds, I would bet on the Razorbacks any day....

HighOnHogs

Quote from: BigHog on July 07, 2005, 12:07:10 pm
That is probably what they were saying at Auburn last year. Nobody remebers that Tuberville was on his way out if he didn't have a GREAT season last year. No one thought that they would go undefeated however. I never play the Lotto, I don't like the odds, I would bet on the Razorbacks any day....

Big difference between last years Auburn team and this years Razorbacks.  Auburn has been expected to be great for the last couple of years.  Last year they proved it.  Arkansas does not have the experience or talent Auburn had the last couple years. No comparison.

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: HighOnHogs on July 07, 2005, 12:19:57 pm
Quote from: BigHog on July 07, 2005, 12:07:10 pm

Big difference between last years Auburn team and this years Razorbacks. Auburn has been expected to be great for the last couple of years. Last year they proved it. Arkansas does not have the experience or talent Auburn had the last couple years. No comparison.

We don't have a senior QB, or a backfield filled with first-round draft picks, or all those big-fast receivers.  We don't have a veteran Dline, or a bunch of really fast and big-hitting veteran linebackers, or a secondary led by all-SEC types.  We don't have big expectations either.
[CENSORED]!