Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Georgia losing recruits...

Started by DisplacedHogFan, July 06, 2005, 02:38:03 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

DisplacedHogFan

willkhitey

They've been having quite a few problems

Here's a link to a similar story written by the UGA Football beat writer at the Athens paper
http://www.onlineathens.com/stories/070605/dog_20050706037.shtml
"What a terrible waste it is to lose one's mind"
--Dan Quayle, speaking to the NAACP

Biggus Piggus

Yow.  They are down to a dozen or so.
[CENSORED]!

Flatfoot

I bet Richt is starting to feel a little heat between the hedges.
Thank God for Hogville.  I get my Hog Therapy here everyday.

hogsanity

Quote from: razorback4life on July 06, 2005, 03:31:54 pm
I wonder when these kids are going to realize they need to take their educations more seriously. Year after year you see this happen to more and more kids. One would think that these kids especially student athletes that are relying on their academics as well as their athletic ability to get into college would start to realize this. Its a shame.

Thats an absolutley hillarious statement.  Many of these kids are treated specially becuase of their athletic abilities.  THey have never been required to do their school work, and with the proliferation of kids going to the pros early, they see even less need to be academically sound.  Plus, many come from homes where education isnt the top prioroty. 

And, what do college coaches do?  They oversign just to make allowances for some of the kids not qualifying. 

Now, I, not saying they are bad people because their grades are lacking, but they didnt just get to their senior year and suddenly became bad students.  They have been bad students all along, and no one ever bothered to point that out to them. 
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Theolesnort

Quote from: hogsanity on July 06, 2005, 03:41:53 pm
Quote from: razorback4life on July 06, 2005, 03:31:54 pm
I wonder when these kids are going to realize they need to take their educations more seriously. Year after year you see this happen to more and more kids. One would think that these kids especially student athletes that are relying on their academics as well as their athletic ability to get into college would start to realize this. Its a shame.

Thats an absolutley hillarious statement. Many of these kids are treated specially becuase of their athletic abilities. THey have never been required to do their school work, and with the proliferation of kids going to the pros early, they see even less need to be academically sound. Plus, many come from homes where education isnt the top prioroty.

And, what do college coaches do? They oversign just to make allowances for some of the kids not qualifying.

Now, I, not saying they are bad people because their grades are lacking, but they didnt just get to their senior year and suddenly became bad students. They have been bad students all along, and no one ever bothered to point that out to them.
Actually it is sad hogsanity. What did them in is they signed with Georgia instead of Tenn or Miss St who might have through some creative means found a away to get them in and through school. ;)
There's Nuttin in the world worth a solitary dime cept Old dogs and children and watermelon wine.

WilsonHog

I've made this analogy before, and I'll make it again.

Giving some of these kids an "opportunity" at a college education would have been akin to buying the late Chrsitopher Reeves a Porsche after he got pitched off of that horse.  It's not an "opportunity" if you don't begin to possess the skills to take advantage of it.

Trouble is, there aren't too many SEC-calibre athletes floating around with 3.0 GPAs.

Rocky&Boarwinkle

Quote from: HoopHog on July 06, 2005, 06:18:50 pm
The son and father tag team sufficiently put it into a nut shell.  I agree with you, Razorback4life, kids are learning the hard way that the NCAA is putting stronger pressures upon the schools and in turn, schools are putting stronger pressures upon the student-athletes.  As you said, ifd they want to take advantage of this system to use it as a springboard into the pros 9or even use it to actually get a decent education) they best wise up and realize what is expected of them.  The only influence in their lives is not just their homelife, these kids have coaches who either tell them of the academic pressures, or better get off their asses and do so!  This is no longer the environment of athletic dorms and other students writing your term papers for players -- those days are gone because it is just too risky for a program.

So are you saying no more Gary Andersons then? ;)

SirCHog

I think the need to win has compelled Richt to make some choices he probably had reservations about in the first place.  Just goes to show how pressure can effect good judgment.