Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The new guys......

Started by kristi1978, July 05, 2005, 05:27:55 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

kristi1978

July 05, 2005, 05:27:55 pm Last Edit: July 05, 2005, 09:20:57 pm by kristi1978
Out of all the good talent Nutt recruited this past year..........  Who will make the most impact right away for the 2005 season?!    :P  ;D

I guess i was trying to get to 2006 too quick huh!  haha

AFWarrior83

D-MAC, Felix, maybe fish is he put's on 20 lbs.
Hogville member since 2005.

idochog

Quote from: ImHogginIt on July 05, 2005, 07:54:54 pm
Quote from: kristi1978 on July 05, 2005, 05:27:55 pm
Out of all the good talent Nutt recruited this past year..........  Who will make the most impact right away for the 2006 season?!

McFadden and Felix Jones

That is if it dont take 6 games for HDN to figure out they are better than D' Howard.
I love Jesus!

Theolesnort

The one that has been most criticized, and that includes me. It will be kind of a poetic justice, us eating crow. Now what was that little guys name? ;D  ps Fish
There's Nuttin in the world worth a solitary dime cept Old dogs and children and watermelon wine.

AFWarrior83

D'Howard was better than Peyton Hillis in high school, and is a great RB/TB, he has just had injury problems! The other guys are speed, he is more power. Different runner, so hard to compare.

Im not saying he is better than Peyton, just saying that he can play!

Anti-OtisII

I thought this was 2005.  I hate when I lose a year. ;)

If McFadden doesn't do really well, I will be disappointed.

Big Papa Satan

McFadden, Jones, Shavers, Gray, and Graham.

AFWarrior83

Good call with Shavers, he can play ball!

rricha

Anti-OtisII

Quote from: rricha on July 05, 2005, 08:34:53 pm
barry lee fairchild

That would be REALLY sweet!  We could use that kind of help at LB.

Since 1894

The first thing I heard today was that he grew up on a pig farm. That's quite a start in my book. And my last memory was watching him hang 70 on Nebraska. Just those two facts are enough (for me to like him). Then, I hear that he's out of the Hayden Fry-Bill Snyder-Barry Alvarez coaching tree. Oh, that's enough for me to like a lot. Then, I hear he's got a 27-year-old wife. Okay, we can stop. I like him.

BARRY SWITZER- Former Arkansas Asst. Coach
Quote given to Clay Henry

As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State:

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

Anti-OtisII

Quote from: Anti-OtisII on July 05, 2005, 08:43:55 pm
barry lee fairchild

That would be REALLY sweet! We could use that kind of help at LB.

I am assuming that you meant Fred Fairchild.  I'm pretty sure that Barry Lee probably won't dress out.

blueshog2001

I was hoping Kevin Thorton would come in and rattle some cages in the secondary or at least the opposing teams helmets.

Alrazorback

Quote from: AFWarrior83 on July 05, 2005, 08:13:01 pm
D'Howard was better than Peyton Hillis in high school, and is a great RB/TB, he has just had injury problems! The other guys are speed, he is more power. Different runner, so hard to compare.

Im not saying he is better than Peyton, just saying that he can play!

Didn't Hillis have injury problems last year?  If I remember correctly, he came back early from a spinal fracture.  He has something that razorback RB haven't had in a while, the "want" to play.

mikeirwin

Quote from: AFWarrior83 on July 05, 2005, 08:07:03 pm
You should apply for a job in the weight room. They love putting weight on guys.
Fish weighs 145 and the only time he's ever been hurt he hurt himself diving for a loose ball.
The idea is to have him run away from guys not run over them.

AFWarrior83

July 05, 2005, 09:40:21 pm #15 Last Edit: July 05, 2005, 09:42:14 pm by AFWarrior83
We keep going back and forth about this, but I say if he goes from 145 to 160, it will actually help him. That isn't enough weight to slow him down, and would actually keep him from falling down when he got popped by a corner that weighs 180! He would still have that run away capability, and with a little more weight could make him that much better. Also since he is going to probably play at returner, I think he will have to put on a little muscle! I can't be wrong about this, it only makes sence? KEEP SMITING ME LOSERS!

CorningHog

I am not sure that weight is of any concern with Fish.  He looks like a jitterbug and may be hard to tackle.  Let him be what he is.  I am sure he has worked out and stayed in shape since coming to Arkansas early.  He looks like he can contribute quickly.

Put the best players out there regardless of size.  If some of these freshman come to play and are not the ideal size but have nearly the same ability but more desire to hit someone or give superior effort each play, play them no matter if they are 20 lbs light in the ole socks.  GO HOGS

BEAT VANDY!
"Seek ye first the Kingdom of Heaven"

tophawg19

smith also has the ability to be the starter at tailback . he has one of the fastest 1st steps and is as quick to the line as anyone i have seen . he also shows great vision and cutting ability barry sanders style runner although it's to early to compare the 2 .
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

AFWarrior83

I didn't say bench him if he doesn't gain the weight, from what I hear he's a great kid! I think he will do good either way, I just think it would even help more if he put on a few, but by no means fat! We will see if he can stand a hit from a 200+ lb. or a 180+lb safety! You guys act like he is just going to run around everybody, but he will get hit and it will be a hard hit, I just hope he doesn't fly into the bleachers!

CorningHog

Hey AFWarrior, just kidding you on the Fish kid.

I do not know anything but the paper stories I have read.  He looks fast but it will be more "in focus" when he takes hits like you said.  He probably will need to get SEC ready by adding some muscle but let's face it, the season starts in less than two months and I doubt if in the heat of the summer he will add 20 lbs of muscle.  Maybe 5 to 10 tops.  I guess if he can't handle it, he will have to get out of the kitchen!

Cool name though!  Reggie Fish scores again!

GO HOGS!
"Seek ye first the Kingdom of Heaven"

PIGG

Quote from: AFWarrior83 on July 05, 2005, 10:02:37 pm
I didn't say bench him if he doesn't gain the weight, from what I hear he's a great kid! I think he will do good either way, I just think it would even help more if he put on a few, but by no means fat! We will see if he can stand a hit from a 200+ lb. or a 180+lb safety! You guys act like he is just going to run around everybody, but he will get hit and it will be a hard hit, I just hope he doesn't fly into the bleachers!

I've never heard of 20 lbs not slowing someone down.  20 lbs is 20 lbs.  I say, let the kid stay as small as he is.  I haven't seen him yet but he sounds like he's very wirey and lanky.  Probably very tough to tackle.  20 lbs of bulk would only make him a bigger, slower target.  He doesn't need to shake off a corner or safety hit if he doesn't need to be caught in the first place.
Let's drink till we can't feel feelings anymore!
- Peter Griffin

RazorRedneck

Quote from: mikeirwin on July 05, 2005, 09:34:04 pm
Quote from: AFWarrior83 on July 05, 2005, 08:07:03 pm
You should apply for a job in the weight room. They love putting weight on guys.
Fish weighs 145 and the only time he's ever been hurt he hurt himself diving for a loose ball.
The idea is to have him run away from guys not run over them.
Good Point......All they wanted to do to Cobbs was put more weight on him and it basically slowed him down for two seasons.

Hogblood

The HOGS have had several players who were small for their position that were great playmakers. J.J. Meadors, Tony Bua, Tony Cherico. Maybe Fish will join the list.

PerryHog

Quote from: Hogblood on July 06, 2005, 09:51:28 pm
The HOGS have had several players who were small for their position that were great playmakers. J.J. Meadors, Tony Bua, Tony Cherico. Maybe Fish will join the list.
I agree, it wasn't anything but desire with those guys. If Fish has it too, he'll be good.

JD_85

Felix, Shavers, and McFadden

rricha

I HAVE BEEN  THINKING ABOUT THE COBBS THEORY THAT THE ADDED WEIGHT SLOWED HIM  DOWN.  HE WAS STILL ABLE RUN A 4.5 FORTY WITH THE ADDED WEIGHT.  COULD IT HAVE BEEN THE O LINE DID NOT HOLD THERE BLOCKS LONG ENOUGHG.  OTHER SCHOOLS PRODUCED 1OOO RUSHERS WITHG BIG BACKS WITH SUB 4.5 FORTY TIMES.

mikeirwin

Quote from: rricha on July 07, 2005, 05:46:25 am
I HAVE BEEN THINKING ABOUT THE COBBS THEORY THAT THE ADDED WEIGHT SLOWED HIM DOWN. HE WAS STILL ABLE RUN A 4.5 FORTY WITH THE ADDED WEIGHT. COULD IT HAVE BEEN THE O LINE DID NOT HOLD THERE BLOCKS LONG ENOUGHG. OTHER SCHOOLS PRODUCED 1OOO RUSHERS WITHG BIG BACKS WITH SUB 4.5 FORTY TIMES.
Cobbs slowed down. I asked John Mc Donnell. Remember, when Cedric came in he ran a little track. He went back to track after his injury to lose weight.
For any matters regarding speed I check with Mc Donnell. He knows a few things about speed.
Most Arkansas backs get here and put on too much weight. This has been going on for years. Long before Nutt. Long before Decker.
There is hope on the horizon. Reggie Herring hates extra weight. Maybe his philosophy will spread to the offense.
There's not one Arkansas D Back who can cover Fish. Not one. He gets open every snap. If they do one thing to mess up his speed they should all be taken out and horse whipped.
As to the original question that started this thread Brandon Kennedy said it yesterday. It's Fish.
Here's what he said. "He's our secret weapon. Nobody knows about him. We're gonna get him the ball out on the corners and he's gonna slice defenses apart."

DirkPiggler

barry lee fairchild

We do need some guys with that killer instinct. ;)
"They've forced my hand on that one."  -  Houston Nutt, November 2005 regarding his future hiring of Gus Mal-a-zahn

Jim Harris

Quote from: PIGG on July 05, 2005, 10:31:41 pm

I've never heard of 20 lbs not slowing someone down. 20 lbs is 20 lbs. I say, let the kid stay as small as he is. I haven't seen him yet but he sounds like he's very wirey and lanky. Probably very tough to tackle. 20 lbs of bulk would only make him a bigger, slower target. He doesn't need to shake off a corner or safety hit if he doesn't need to be caught in the first place.

Why don't we just let Kevin Trainor put 20-25 pounds on him and, in actuality, let him stay where he is.
"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

Hoggysoprano

Quote from: ImHogginIt on July 07, 2005, 09:41:25 am
Quote from: mikeirwin on July 07, 2005, 06:34:22 am
I HAVE BEEN THINKING ABOUT THE COBBS THEORY THAT THE ADDED WEIGHT SLOWED HIM DOWN. HE WAS STILL ABLE RUN A 4.5 FORTY WITH THE ADDED WEIGHT. COULD IT HAVE BEEN THE O LINE DID NOT HOLD THERE BLOCKS LONG ENOUGHG. OTHER SCHOOLS PRODUCED 1OOO RUSHERS WITHG BIG BACKS WITH SUB 4.5 FORTY TIMES.
Cobbs slowed down. I asked John Mc Donnell. Remember, when Cedric came in he ran a little track. He went back to track after his injury to lose weight.
For any matters regarding speed I check with Mc Donnell. He knows a few things about speed.
Most Arkansas backs get here and put on too much weight. This has been going on for years. Long before Nutt. Long before Decker.
There is hope on the horizon. Reggie Herring hates extra weight. Maybe his philosophy will spread to the offense.
There's not one Arkansas D Back who can cover Fish. Not one. He gets open every snap. If they do one thing to mess up his speed they should all be taken out and horse whipped.As to the original question that started this thread Brandon Kennedy said it yesterday. It's Fish.
Here's what he said. "He's our secret weapon. Nobody knows about him. We're gonna get him the ball out on the corners and he's gonna slice defenses apart."

Read that up there Hoggy !!! ;)

I don't doubt you or Mike, but I will have to see it to believe it.  I live in the "Show-Me State" now.

tophawg19

cobbs problem wasn't his 40 time it was his slow starting . his first to steps was much slower . that was the biggest difference between him and talley .talley was at the line by the time cedric was coming out of his stance
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

rricha

O linemen neen to block.   Back in the very early eighities our backs had to be told to tone up.  Gary would loose weight over the summer.  Jrsse Clark was just a natura did not have to lift much, but he knew his body.

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: drakehog on July 07, 2005, 09:42:59 am
Quote from: PIGG on July 05, 2005, 10:31:41 pm

I've never heard of 20 lbs not slowing someone down. 20 lbs is 20 lbs. I say, let the kid stay as small as he is. I haven't seen him yet but he sounds like he's very wirey and lanky. Probably very tough to tackle. 20 lbs of bulk would only make him a bigger, slower target. He doesn't need to shake off a corner or safety hit if he doesn't need to be caught in the first place.

Why don't we just let Kevin Trainor put 20-25 pounds on him and, in actuality, let him stay where he is.

That's a great one.  Did you see my note on the U of A's use of creatine?
[CENSORED]!

idochog

There's not one Arkansas D Back who can cover Fish. Not one. He gets open every snap. If they do one thing to mess up his speed they should all be taken out and horse whipped.
As to the original question that started this thread Brandon Kennedy said it yesterday. It's Fish.

Do you mean HDN might actually send more than 1 or 2 receivers out into a passing play?  HDN still hasnt figured out that its kinda hard sending 2 WR's into a pass play against 4 defensive backs and hoping you will have pass protection long enough for 1 to get open.
I love Jesus!

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: tophawg19 on July 07, 2005, 07:15:11 pm
cobbs problem wasn't his 40 time it was his slow starting . his first to steps was much slower . that was the biggest difference between him and talley .talley was at the line by the time cedric was coming out of his stance

Howard looked very slow out of the stance last year, too.  A lot worse than his soph season.  He can play a lot better than that.
[CENSORED]!

idochog

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on July 07, 2005, 10:18:23 pm
Quote from: tophawg19 on July 07, 2005, 07:15:11 pm

Howard looked very slow out of the stance last year, too. A lot worse than his soph season. He can play a lot better than that.

Howard strikes me as a running back that might get better with each carry.  It seems we sub in or out to quickly for him.  Besides, its kinda hard for him to be successful when everyone on the defensive side knows that when Howard is in we are running between the tackles.
I love Jesus!

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: idochog on July 07, 2005, 10:26:59 pm
Howard strikes me as a running back that might get better with each carry. It seems we sub in or out to quickly for him. Besides, its kinda hard for him to be successful when everyone on the defensive side knows that when Howard is in we are running between the tackles.

Which brings to question how Nutt will use the backs this season, with four or five guys who will be vying for carries.

Hillis and Howard were splitting PT last year.  They ran in the same situations.  It was not good for Howard.  Nutt tried a couple of times to throw him more carries, and it did not go well.  This year, I'll be surprised to see anybody get 20 carries very often, even if we're running 50 times a game.  Again, this might not work well for Howard.  Hillis will get carries in a wide variety of situations.  Poole will be a third-down back.  McFadden will get worked in.
[CENSORED]!

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: idochog on July 07, 2005, 09:42:32 pm

Do you mean HDN might actually send more than 1 or 2 receivers out into a passing play? HDN still hasnt figured out that its kinda hard sending 2 WR's into a pass play against 4 defensive backs and hoping you will have pass protection long enough for 1 to get open.

That worked when we had Anthony Lucas and Joe Dean Davenport.
[CENSORED]!

idochog

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on July 07, 2005, 10:37:02 pm
Quote from: idochog on July 07, 2005, 10:26:59 pm
Howard strikes me as a running back that might get better with each carry. It seems we sub in or out to quickly for him. Besides, its kinda hard for him to be successful when everyone on the defensive side knows that when Howard is in we are running between the tackles.

McFadden will get worked in.

Hopefully before the 5th game of the season.  Please HDN go into fall practice and find out if Felix jones or Mcfadden needs to play, get 1 ready to play RIGHT AWAY and redshirt the other.
I love Jesus!